• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed III |OT| Easier to read than Ratonhnhaké:ton

Exile550

Anybody knows how the season pass will work through steam? I bought the deluxe edition and activated both keys in-game, but I don't see any mention of the season pass anywhere.

Dartastic

Get used to it. That's how you'll feel for the entirety of the game.
You are kidding. There is no easier way to go incognito? There have been points at which I've wanted to toss my pad out of frustration in comparison with past AC games.

KingKong

Wow, the longest and most boring tailing mission (does anyone like those?) and then
I get knocked out by one guy and sent to prison? Really? Cause I just killed like 100 dudes in the last mission

Noi

You are kidding. There is no easier way to go incognito? There have been points at which I've wanted to toss my pad out of frustration in comparison with past AC games.

Nooope. The game never shows you how where the wanted posters are, and the only other way to take it down is using money. You can choose to quick travel to the frontier/homestead and then warp back to instantly reset it, but hey them you have to suffer through load screens for something that almost always isn't your fault. ACIII takes stuff that worked perfectly in previous games and just breaks them for no reason.

Wow, the longest and most boring tailing mission (does anyone like those?) and then
I get knocked out by one guy and sent to prison? Really? Cause I just killed like 100 dudes in the last mission

I loathe all the tailing missions in ACIII. I've played tailing missions in some games that are fun. The common trait between them is that they actually give me places to hide and the people I'm tailing don't turn around and stare at nothing for no reason.

Dartastic

Nooope. The game never shows you how where the wanted posters are, and the only other way to take it down is using money. You can choose to quick travel to the frontier/homestead and then warp back to instantly reset it, but hey them you have to suffer through load screens for something that almost always isn't your fault. ACIII takes stuff that worked perfectly in previous games and just breaks them for no reason.
Auuuuuuugh what bulllllshittttttt.

I'm also trying to figure out how the heck to improve my homestead. Game is really frustrating at points. No need for it to be this odd, at all. ...also, I'm still waiting on my Wii U patch, Ubi.

Justin

I wish they would make a pirate game using the best parts of the ship combat and the treasure hunting quests. The team that worked on the naval stuff did an amazing job.

SJRB

Gold Member

Especially in the cities there are tonnes of guards and it seems that they spawn indefinately when you are in alert status. There is one specific mission where an alert has to be triggered and you need to escape which literally took me 15 minutes because no matter where I went there would always be a group of guards waiting for me around every corner. And the worst part is that they still somehow see you when you retreat to the rooftops, which makes the one save haven from previous games utterly useless.

It was insane.

Anyone got a tip on how to get your encyclopedia filled? My homestead peepz just don't do the stuff I wanna see :(

The whole encyclopedia quest is pretty bugged.

conman

No need for it to be this odd, at all.
That's pretty much the summary of my experience with the game. They spent four games perfecting design and tech that they just threw out the window in AC3 for no good reason. Why "fix" something that wasn't broken? And if you're going to "fix" them, it had better be worth it. Don't redesign something just for the hell of it.

The stealth and detection systems are particularly nonsensical in AC3. In conjunction with the free-running mechanics, those are the heart and soul of the series. Those three systems (parkour, stealth, and detection) should complement each other, not interfere with one another. As you say, "no need for it to be this odd, at all."

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Just got a message telling me that I'm in the top 1% of income earned from sending out trade convoys.

I've sent out convoys three times and probably earned a total of 4,000 pounds.

I really hope Ubisoft is paying attention to how many people are completely ignoring this confusing mess of a system. I really wonder how it got included in the final game in the state it's in.

Midou

I'm on sequence 7 and never had any problems with hiding or going incognito.. and I love the convoys, you get so much more money from them than selling at a shop. It's true all the side stuff is explained terribly, but the core systems work well. I love upgrading my ship and doing those missions too.

I've basically never been frustrated by any aspect of the game thus far.

KingKong

What's the point of the whole convoy/hillstead thing/crafting again? I'm killing people without any problems as is and I have 9k with no idea what to spend it on (mostly from raiding the treasure in that keep)

Lexington and Concord was such a frustrating mission. Took me 10 tries just to get past 100.

Yeah that was a pain in the ass. Took me probably 10-15 tries to beat it.

Then I do the mission where you're tailing the dude
who is going to try and kill George Washington
....that was the most frustrating part of the game so far for me. Kept getting hung up on edges and then every time I would get close enough, I would hit attack to assassinate, and Connor would come to a grinding halt, and dude would get further away.

In enemy AI in Dishonored and Batman is programmed never to look upwards unless you give them a reason to. You can stay relatively safe up on higher levels, plotting your moves and staying stealthy until you decide to strike. It's unrealistic, sure, but it's a nice way of making something clear to the player without challenging believability to much.

When you try and do the same thing in Assassin's Creed you just get spotted instantly, because nobody at Ubisoft has ever played a stealth game. I'm sure someone dressed like Connor prowling around on a rooftop would draw the eye, but it's no fun to play a game like that. You just aren't manoeuvrable enough to avoid detection, so you have to rely on the level design and just work out the pattern of when to hide in this patch of grass and when to move to the next one, and if you get any step of the pattern wrong it's back to the start of this conversation you've already eavesdropped on six times.

I just ran around in the frontier for hours yesterday and had so much more fun than I did playing story missions. AC3's wilderness doesn't quite match up to Red Dead Redemptions - the music isn't quite so atmospheric, the load screens make it feel less like a real place, Connor's QTE abilities take away all the danger - but until Rockstar gets that RDR PC version going this'll do nicely.

Definity

Been playing this on the PC for the past couple days and I'm loving it so far. The naval missions are a great change of pace.

Noi

What's the point of the whole convoy/hillstead thing/crafting again? I'm killing people without any problems as is and I have 9k with no idea what to spend it on (mostly from raiding the treasure in that keep)

Nothing, considering the weapons you start the game with are also good enough to beat the game, and you likely won't want to be swapping back to your Normal/Heavy weapon every time the game defaults to the Light one.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
Holy crap, look what I just found posted on miiverse.

Move over drake...

RPRak.jpg

Medalion

Banned
Not sure if this has been asked/answered already

are there any redeemable character codes for the Wii-U version of AC3 yet? If so, where may they be found? thx

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
so I caved in since I needed something to play until the WiiU and bought the PC version at a really good price

Liking it so far and well, isn't Haytham Conway so goddamned cool?. Perfect outfit, attitude and the baddest hardarse in London

I hope Connor is at least half as brilliant as him...

Midou

Nothing, considering the weapons you start the game with are also good enough to beat the game, and you likely won't want to be swapping back to your Normal/Heavy weapon every time the game defaults to the Light one.

You can make a lot more money through convoys to buy upgrades for the ship. The ship missions get pretty hard for starting parts later on.

DanielJr82

Finally finished the story. What a way to end the game, damn. Is there a spoiler thread by any chance?

The game is good, but you can definitely beat the whole thing without investing in your homestead (which I thought was fun), leveling your recruits (I used them once or twice?), or buying new weapons (tomahawk and bow/pistol all day). No really, it's all fluff. Maybe you'll benefit from a bigger quiver or cartridge pouch, but for what? You can dispose of everybody by just countering everything. =/ It did provide some variety in countering, though, at least.

In all, I think I invested about 40 hours, so I got my money's worth. Very satisfied with the Connor side of the story, though. Nice epilogue. :)

Also, screw those optional objectives. Seriously. No fun.

eshwaaz

so I caved in since I needed something to play until the WiiU and bought the PC version at a really good price

Liking it so far and well, isn't Haytham Conway so goddamned cool?. Perfect outfit, attitude and the baddest hardarse in London

The fact that he's not is one of my biggest issues with the game. Connor is utterly bland, lacking personality, charisma or charm of any kind.

Midou

Also, screw those optional objectives. Seriously. No fun.

Yes. I just had a chase where obviously I started off by holding R2, and the moment I did, within 1 second of getting control, he bumps into someone, failed optional objective 'don't bump into anyone'. And I just mentally rolled my eyes and kept going. They aren't all that stupid, but if they don't seem like fun, I skip them. I try to make it for timer ones, just to see how easy it is to set the time they put, but I often don't make it, and I stopped caring pretty early on.

Amir0x

Banned
The fact that he's not is one of my biggest issues with the game. Connor is utterly bland, lacking personality, charisma or charm of any kind.

Near end game spoilers:
"This is the last time I help deliver a battle for you and yours, Washington!"

"Let me help you guys out in this hugely important Battle of Chesapeake Bay!"

Connor was just a nonsensical character altogether, frequently borderline offensive and with motivations that make so little sense it's pointless to even try.

Midou

I do somewhat agree, though haytham's personality is a bit too intense for a game-length main character, Connor is a bit underwhelming. I suppose the idea is to make him more like the player, and to not give him too strong of an opinion one way or another, but it does end up being a bit boring. Ezio was a perfect middle-ground.

It is a bit confusing when Connor has some strong lashings out towards Achelies that don't seem to fit him much.

Amir0x

Banned
I actually would prefer to see a more bloodthirsty Assassin. There have clearly been corrupt Assassins, and the insufferable prattling about freedom and some such nonsense is so one dimensional it'd be nice to see an assassin with a little more color.

Irish

Bloodthirsty would be interesting, especially if they could combine it with a completely calm personality at the same time. I kind of want to see some great, yet restrained animations on the next assassin. Kills that are vicious, yet swift and incognito in a way.

Midou

Killing 100 guys in a row with brutal executions is pretty bloodthirsty. Large weapon axe is so brutal, he chops people like logs.

Amir0x

Banned
Killing 100 guys in a row with brutal executions is pretty bloodthirsty.

it's just the same incongruity of gameplay and story as in all games. I would like an AC game where the nastiness of the main character matched his actions. Haytham, really, would
have been a sweet character for a few games. I don't mean to beat that drum yet again (everyone has been saying it), but he continually just kills people without a thought if he knows they will cause trouble down the line.
He also has some really sharp exchanges, some of the only things in the entire game that weren't painful to watch, so it made the impact a little greater.

Midou

it's just the same incongruity of gameplay and story as in all games. I would like an AC game where the nastiness of the main character matched his actions

This is a problem in a lot of games with freedom, most recently, something like GTA 4. It's hard to balance gameplay freedom and character personality in games like these. Though it would be nice if connor had a bit more personality at times.

Bladenic

Near end game spoilers:
"This is the last time I help deliver a battle for you and yours, Washington!"

"Let me help you guys out in this hugely important Battle of Chesapeake Bay!"

Connor was just a nonsensical character altogether, frequently borderline offensive and with motivations that make so little sense it's pointless to even try.

I'm sure I missed a post detailing this, but I'm curious to know what you thought of the end game sequences. I recall telling you I hated sequence 12 in that other AC3 thread.

Amir0x

Banned
I'm sure I missed a post detailing this, but I'm curious to know what you thought of the end game sequences. I recall telling you I hated sequence 12 in that other AC3 game.

Ah, I forgot who told me how terrible the last sequences were. I was trying to remember.

Honestly, because of how bad everyone was saying it was, I expected something even worse. It was still bad, don't get me wrong, design-wise... but it didn't really bother me. I full synced it on my second try, if it's the
chase mission
you're talking about.

Boy the ending was... just immeasurably worse than anything I could have anticipated.

Bladenic

Ah, I forgot who told me how terrible the last sequences were. I was trying to remember.

Honestly, because of how bad everyone was saying it was, I expected something even worse. It was still bad, don't get me wrong, design-wise... but it didn't really bother me. I full synced it on my second try, if it's the
chase mission
you're talking about.

Boy the ending was... just immeasurably worse than anything I could have anticipated.

Haha I'm actually glad that all the warnings helped alleviate the disappointment.

As for the ending, did you dislike the outcome or execution (or both)? For me, it wasn't so much the outcome as the execution. For spending 5 fucking games with Desmond, he deserved a lot better than a 2 minute cutscene (I hope that's not too spoilery for others).

Midou

Haytham, really, would
have been a sweet character for a few games. I don't mean to beat that drum yet again (everyone has been saying it), but he continually just kills people without a thought if he knows they will cause trouble down the line.

It would just have been a very different game, considering
his position of power, the majority of his work would likely be managerial at the point hes at when you play as full-fledged assassin connor

Had they done things entirely differently and made Haytham
either an assassin or lower ranking Templar
than it may work.

jmro

Is it just me, or is going incognito way harder in this game? I'm on the Wii u, and I a)don't have any money at the start to bribe people, and b) the map won't display wanted posters for me to take down. This is making the game way more frustrating for me than the older ones.

Wanted posters were broken for the duration of my playthrough on XBOX 360.

Also while running around in New York I would randomly go from incognito to every guard wants to kill me for seemingly no reason. I think the game is just buggy as shit.

jmro

You're in for some disappointment

Full game spoilers

How great would it have been if you played the whole game as Haytham and the Templar reveal only came at the end of the game, instead of the end of the prologue. He was a much more interesting character than Connor and Charles and was really killed off too easily

Top Bottom