• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed III |OT| Easier to read than Ratonhnhaké:ton

Can one discover the underground fast travel points by finding the entry points above ground? Edit: Damn, no. This is so tedious. Even the endgame platinum trophy cleanup is a chore as opposed to still fun in previous games. Starting to lose interest in doing so.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Excuse me... what just happened?

I finish the credits, see some brief epilogue scenes on the homestead and in New York, then warp to Boston and Nolan North starts speaking some nonsense about "pivots" and hacking and I get a Uplay achievement that says "Fin." Is this the end of the meaningful content in the game? I'm confused as shit right now.

Nekrono

You thought 2 was bad? Boy, you're not going to enjoy this one.

This is a video summary, comes in five parts.

I don't think its bad, I know its the best in the series for a lot of people and I actually really liked it, I just got bored a bit later on which is something that happens to me with a lot of games so its a problem I have lol.

Anyways we'll see how it goes with AC3. Thanks for the video!

SJRB

Gold Member
I just did an assassination contract in Boston, I hadn't done one of those yet.

I don't even know what to say, this is so fucking dumb. I go to the marker only to find some random guy walking down the street. Appearantly he is my target, so I run up to him, axe him in the chest and immediately feel regret.

I have no idea who this guy is or why he has to die. I didn't want to kill him but I did because the game told me so. I get no visible feedback after the deed is done, nothing. Does it reward me with money? I don't know. All I see is two new "contracts" appear on the map. Why? Who is giving me these contracts? How does this person know telekenisis? This is the last assassination contract I'll do, it is just context-less, challenge-free no-fun filler horseshit.

I don't even know why I keep playing this game. Freerunning the Frontier is fun, and ambushing patrols is cool, but pretty much everything, EVERYTHING else is terrible in some way or form.

I don't even know what to say, this is so fucking dumb. I go to the marker only to find some random guy walking down the street. Appearantly he is my target, so I run up to him, axe him in the chest and immediately feel regret.

I have no idea who this guy is or why he has to die. I didn't want to kill him but I did because the game told me so. I get no visible feedback after the deed is done, nothing. Does it reward me with money? I don't know. All I see is two new "contracts" appear on the map. Why? Who is giving me these contracts? How does this person know telekenisis? This is the last assassination contract I'll do, it is just context-less, challenge-free filler horseshit.

I don't even know why I keep playing this game. Freerunning the Frontier is fun, and ambushing patrols is cool, but pretty much everything, EVERYTHING else is terrible in some way or form.

I miss Ezio Trilogy style side quests, where there was a mini-story to each, no matter how small or trivial. Connor style side quests seem to be Ubisoft thinking they needed to streamline them so you collect one mission start and then just "do" whatever it is and get a reward when they are all finished. SO BAD.

This game shouldn't be this bland, I really don't get it. Take tree running. SO AWESOME. But wait, you can only climb a single tree per acre, so if you want to take to the treetops you have to run about looking for the one tree that takes you up there.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member

I have no idea who this guy is or why he has to die. I didn't want to kill him but I did because the game told me so. I get no visible feedback after the deed is done, nothing. Does it reward me with money? I don't know. All I see is two new "contracts" appear on the map. Why? Who is giving me these contracts? How does this person know telekenisis? This is the last assassination contract I'll do, it is just context-less, challenge-free no-fun filler horseshit.

Every single side thing is so half-baked it's not even funny. I didn't even know they had Assassin contracts in the game until like 20 hours in. For whatever reason, you could manage them from anywhere as well. Go telekinesis! There didn't seem to be much point in doing any of them, much like every other side part of this game. The sailing stuff was well done. The hunting was well done. It's just they never meaningfully integrated any of that in the game. So many individually neat elements in this game that just got tacked on rather than properly integrated. It feels like a jumbling mess of ideas with no clear focus.

I really liked the game for the first 10-15 hours or so. Probably up until around sequence 7 or 8. After that, I feel like even the story lost its focus. They stopped introducing things in a way that made sense. Everything just stopped making sense.

Oh well, at least it's a gorgeous game on the PC and has a great sense of atmosphere (when things are bugging out like crazy).

Who else is up for a Connor Trilogy, btw, at least to see them right some wrongs here? Historical things that a) need to be an AC game and b) make sense for Connor:

Connor (1756-?) (Ezio lived to 65, Altair to 92)

French Revolution (1789–1799) (33-43 years old)

Louisiana Purchase/Lewis & Clark Expedition (1804-1806) (48-50 years old)

War of 1812 (1812-1815) (56-59 years old)

EDIT: I really wish history had the War of 1812 occurring before the French Revolution because that would make more sense for Assassin's Creed lol.

iNvid02

ubi apparently said a sequel with connor depended on the fan reception

i dont really like him much, but i can see a sequel with french rev coming next year

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
The French Revolution could be an interesting setting, but I don't think I much like Connor as a protagonist.

Also, taking the setting to France and cities like Paris would probably not be relegated to a follow-up game. Maybe for Assassin's Creed IV?

I have no idea what they even want to do with this series anymore. The end of III really killed a lot of the excitement for me.

Frillen

Who else is up for a Connor Trilogy, btw, at least to see them right some wrongs here? Historical things that a) need to be an AC game and b) make sense for Connor:

Connor (1756-?) (Ezio lived to 65, Altair to 92)

French Revolution (1789–1799) (33-43 years old)

Louisiana Purchase/Lewis & Clark Expedition (1804-1806) (48-50 years old)

War of 1812 (1812-1815) (56-59 years old)

EDIT: I really wish history had the War of 1812 occurring before the French Revolution because that would make more sense for Assassin's Creed lol.

Not me. Can't bother with two more games with boring american city design. I want a London or an Egypt setting. But I kinda want those settings for the next generation.

Finishing up the last couple Homestead missions. The
"She did?" during The Wedding
is the single time in the entire game I can recall Connor displaying emotions besides "fury" and "neutral," lol.

[Edit: You know, the Homestead missions might have been my favorite part of the game. I wish there were even more. Building a community in the frontier is just one of those naturally compelling subjects story-wise.]

Re: Connor trilogy (Ending spoilers)
How would it work? They've definitively said "You have served your purpose" to him. It's not like Ezio, where there was still more info for the modern day folks to get out of him.

Amir0x

Banned
Not me. Can't bother with two more games with boring american city design. I want a London or an Egypt setting. But I kinda want those settings for the next generation.

I want my next AC game set in EDEN

you know you want super awesome ultra futuristic flying car city Assassins!

What I'd want setting-wise, and I'll spoiler tag this as it vaguely says what doesn't happen in 3.

I just want a modern-day setting that is an actual full, open AC world, even if it's just a small segment of one. Imagine GTAIV but with AC climbing. I can't believe the modern segments in 3 were so linear and lame. And yeah, mixing in some First Civ stuff would be amazing.

Re: Connor trilogy (Ending spoilers)
How would it work? They've definitively said "You have served your purpose" to him. It's not like Ezio, where there was still more info for the modern day folks to get out of him.

Well, indigenous peoples clearly had knowledge of those that came before (the cave, the Piece of Eden, the crystal skulls in Central/South Americas, the Mayans knowing about the end of the world, etc) so
Desmond lives in the Animus a la Subject 16 and explores Connor's memories to see if there's anything he ran across that would help battle one that came before. Then he discovers the mind transplant technique Juno tried and failed using but perfects it with some trick Connor discovered and he transplants his mind into a robot or his father or some shit to battle Juno.
That would take care of in between AC3 engine games and set up nicely for AC4.

Amir0x

Banned
What I'd want setting-wise, and I'll spoiler tag this as it vaguely says what doesn't happen in 3.

I just want a modern-day setting that is an actual full, open AC world, even if it's just a small segment of one. Imagine GTAIV but with AC climbing. I can't believe the modern segments in 3 were so linear and lame. And yeah, mixing in some First Civ stuff would be amazing.

I will say one thing... that one Desmond mission where
you climb the skyscraper made me really understand the type of logistics required to make a full open world game in a modern city possible

the scale alone is just astronomical if you want it to feel real. that's why I think they should tackle such an AC game next-gen

AHA-Lambda

Managed to get a deal on this and my copy should arrive tomorrow but damn the pessimistic impressions in here are worrying me =/

Amir0x

Banned
Managed to get a deal on this and my copy should arrive tomorrow but damn the pessimistic impressions in here are worrying me =/

I wrote a guide in another topic to enjoying AC3:

I find if you focus on the following things, you'll enjoy it more ->

• Allow yourself to soak in the atmosphere of the frontier. Go hunting, completely off the grid. Really try to see how long you can streak tree exploration. Cause some problems by hanging people from branches (this can be REALLY inappropriate sometimes, though). Because the framerate is least bad in the Frontier, there is a lot to enjoy. The atmosphere is unparalleled. When the weather starts in (no matter whether you're in a city or the Frontier), is is mouth opening.

• Really soak in the NAVAL BATTLES. This is probably the best additive, non-essential gameplay addition to any open world game. It is astoundingly good, and I would pay $60 for an expanded version of the concept.

• Ignore Connor. He is dumb.

• Try to really get into the side missions, which are often quaint affairs with fun little diversionary aspects. Building up Homestead can be rewarding, even if the ultimate rewards are comparatively quite tiny.

• Try to read most of the Animus entries. They can be quite clever and often overcome the generally terrible, disjointed writing of the primary story. Apart from some of these being pulled directly from period newspapers or Almanacs or whatever, they often have funny little quips by the British dude who is bitter about America's victory :p

• Do Peg Legs Trinket quest. Really fun little missions equivalent to the "challenge tombs" of past games.

There are many more, but the game isn't BAD. To me, it's like the way AC1 was in terms of foundation... you can just tell a sequel built from this will be great. But I think it is definitely better than AC1, at least, significantly so (except the assassin missions are inferior, as always. Why did Ubisoft tone this aspect down in the series?).

SJRB

Gold Member
Whatever it is Ubi does next, they need to get the fuck out of 1730's America asap.

Edit - above advice is pretty solid exept the animus entries - they spoil MASSIVE parts of the entire story at pretty much the start of the game. Stay clear of them at all costs.

Amir0x

Banned
Whatever it is Ubi does next, they need to get the fuck out of 1730's America asap.

Edit - above advice is pretty solid exept the animus entries - they spoil MASSIVE parts of the entire story at pretty much the start of the game. Stay clear of them at all costs.

wait i thought they patched the animus spoilers out of the game now?

Pretty sure I saw that in the patch notes. Because otherwise the animus entries just spoil history everyone should know, for the most part...

SJRB

Gold Member

Pretty sure I saw that in the patch notes. Because otherwise the animus entries just spoil history everyone should know, for the most part...

Aside from giving historic facts, they also casually spoil that
Washington burned down Connor's village instead of Charles Lee, and they also spoil Haytham being a Templar.

Those are huge spoilers.

I'm not sure they have been patched out though.

I don't know if the patch hit Wii U or not but the Animus spoils almost anything "historical" and never far in advance, usually like 10 minutes before you see it.

Braddock's entire story was basically given away the first time you met him in the Animus.

Washington burned down Connor's village instead of Charles Lee, and they also spoil Haytham being a Templar.

Those are huge spoilers.

At least in the current Wii U version, Haythem doesn't get an entry until way later.

Amir0x

Banned

Those are huge spoilers.

honestly it's ok because the story is so terrible I hardly could find myself concerned with having anything spoiled :p

but yeah I am pretty sure the patch said it fixed the animus spoilers...

Thesisneogaf.gif

It's not a bad game, don't worry.

I wrote a guide in another topic to enjoying AC3:

I find if you focus on the following things, you'll enjoy it more ->

• Allow yourself to soak in the atmosphere of the frontier. Go hunting, completely off the grid. Really try to see how long you can streak tree exploration. Cause some problems by hanging people from branches (this can be REALLY inappropriate sometimes, though). Because the framerate is least bad in the Frontier, there is a lot to enjoy. The atmosphere is unparalleled. When the weather starts in (no matter whether you're in a city or the Frontier), is is mouth opening.

• Really soak in the NAVAL BATTLES. This is probably the best additive, non-essential gameplay addition to any open world game. It is astoundingly good, and I would pay $60 for an expanded version of the concept.

• Ignore Connor. He is dumb.

• Try to really get into the side missions, which are often quaint affairs with fun little diversionary aspects. Building up Homestead can be rewarding, even if the ultimate rewards are comparatively quite tiny.

• Try to read most of the Animus entries. They can be quite clever and often overcome the generally terrible, disjointed writing of the primary story. Apart from some of these being pulled directly from period newspapers or Almanacs or whatever, they often have funny little quips by the British dude who is bitter about America's victory :p

• Do Peg Legs Trinket quest. Really fun little missions equivalent to the "challenge tombs" of past games.

There are many more, but the game isn't BAD. To me, it's like the way AC1 was in terms of foundation... you can just tell a sequel built from this will be great. But I think it is definitely better than AC1, at least, significantly so (except the assassin missions are inferior, as always. Why did Ubisoft tone this aspect down in the series?).

Great post.

NZNova

Not everyone knows a heck of a lot about American history. Non-Americans, who aren't taught that much about it at school, for example.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Not everyone knows a heck of a lot about American history. Non-Americans, who aren't taught that much about it at school, for example.

Or Americans, for that matter. The state of history education in this country is fucking dismal.

Amir0x

Banned

Are we really saying that people should be worried about having 250 year old historical facts spoiled for them?

I am going to go and cry in a corner now :(

NZNova

Are we really saying that people should be worried about having 250 year old historical facts spoiled for them?

I am going to go and cry in a corner now :(

If it directly impacts what's about to happen in the game, sure. If it's just history, then no. The point is, you can't assume everyone knows all of this history.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Man... the more I think about this, the more I become disappointed. I love the setting, but they just squandered so much potential.

I'm thinking they should have just made Haytham the player character for the entire game. We could have seen him establish the Templar order in America and guide the revolution from the shadows. I think that story would have been a hell of a lot more interesting, and at least we would have been able to witness cool historical moments in a far less ridiculous context.

I'm just sitting here remembering the scene with Connor, in full Assassin's garb, sitting next to Samuel Adams in the Continental Congress... so fucking ridiculous. Was he meant to be taking John Adams's spot or something?

year of the tomahawk

i5pVamfei8VUl.gif
is5a6KD0VeM6Y.gif

SPOILER! I haven't come across a tomahawk yet in the game, just axes :p

Help time I guess? I've just unlocked liberation missions and have recruited the guys from central and south Boston. I've done some of the northern missions (the ones with the thugs) but I have to stop three groups of thugs but after the second group they stopped showing up on my minimap. Is this glitched, or am I missing something?

Lucent

P6aic.gif

Not here for that mess. I want Connor off AC series for good and I want them to stay away from America as setting. Give me China, give me Japan, give me Egypt, give me France, give me Russia.

Yes. Ninja/Samurai assassins. So much want. And instead of hay stacks you jump onto bamboo shoots! Wait....lol j/k

P6aic.gif

Not here for that mess. I want Connor off AC series for good and I want them to stay away from America as setting. Give me China, give me Japan, give me Egypt, give me France, give me Russia.

China sure, Japan no. Japan seems too obvious/ninja assassins done to death already.

I'd take a new trilogy that included Egypt, China and... Australia/Pacifica.

I liked Connor a lot, but the setting in this game was boring as it gets. It was clever to add tree climbing into it, but the frontier was still boring as fuck. Nothing reaching the great heights of climbing the Castel Sant-angelo or the Hagia Sophia. I really need to pick up the Ezio trilogy to wash out the bad taste of Boston and New York.

d00d3n

When should you start farming side missions? Just got hidden blades for Connor. Is this a good point? Is getting a gun far off? Are assassin helpers far off? Taking back areas far off?

Midou

Finished it earlier, didn't like some of the ending parts, hated desmond part, but enjoyed it quite a bit overall. Boat and Homestead side-quests were cool, the mail, item hunting, assassination contract side-quests were so lazy they didn't even have dialog.

Hope they flesh out ship stuff next time, more upgrades as you go along, mix convoys and homestead into one thing, use convoys of your people's goods to make your town flourish.

Hope next one is in paris during french revolution, with or without connor. A few hints throughout story make it possible.

Probably like it better than AC1, Brotherhood and Revelations at least. I have less faults with Brotherhood and Revelations, but loved boat stuff so much and start of the game that I'd say I put it over them.

Midou

Play as Haytham, set in London. I would play this.

Connor trilogy or not, the AC team has a lot of wrongs to right before I'm up for any more AC games. Take a couple years off of the yearly release schedule to do it right.

Yes, many aspects of AC3 feel rushed. Inconsistencies all over the place. Less experimenting with mini-games like tower defence, more fleshing out of stuff like the ship gameplay.

Top Bottom