• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed III |OT| Easier to read than Ratonhnhaké:ton

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
The retailer exclusive side missions kind of bug me. I'm not sure whether to get this at GS or Best Buy.

It bothers me that something as awesome as a Mayan tomb is a retailer-specific bonus. I hope it's included with the PC DDE.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Can't believe this is already out next week, still have to play Dishonoured and XCOM!
lol me 2. Fuck you real life!

Edit: or i'll wait for the PC version, not sure yet will wait for reviews.

SJRB

Gold Member
I'm getting pretty psyched for this, to my own surprise. I wasn't feeling the setting at all, but somehow the thought of a new, fresh AC makes me giddy.

Ironically most of that is caused by that weird Desmond screenshot from a couple of days ago.

I'm going to miss Jesper Kyd though..

I can't decide between the regular edition + steel cover at amazon, the encyclopedia edition (which I could order separately), and the gold+liberation on psn.
I kinda want the special edition for the figurine, but fuck it's pricy.

Luthos

The retailer exclusive side missions kind of bug me. I'm not sure whether to get this at GS or Best Buy.

Retailer exclusive shit is one of if not my very least favorite thing about this gen.

I mean exclusive armor or hats or whatever is one thing. But to cut out entire missions and so forth? That's bullshit.

Dunan

Pre-ordered at Play-Asia for full price, along with Liberation. One hundred and four dollars, and no DLC.

But I get them on Day One, with the possibility of being the first person to solve some dastardly puzzle or discover some obscure easter egg. Can not wait.

(Now why are they using O's and not U's in "Ratohnhaké:ton" if that's how it's pronounced?)

Kiraly

Which game (3 or Lib) should you play first for the optimal experience? No spoilers please, I am even afraid to look in the OP.

Also if there is a link to some retrospective video of the game series, to catch up and refresh your memory, please paste it in a quote.

I want to pick this up but I never finished Revelations. I just booted it up an hour ago to try and continue but I felt so lost. Argh. Gonna have to restart, and I don't think I'll be done by next Tuesday.

Guess I'll be skipping until I'm ready to play it. I plan on picking up Liberation day 1 though, since I don't believe it has anything to do with Desmond.

Did any of the prior games' pre-order DLC eventually become available for purchase? I'd really, really like those Mayan ruins but already ordered from Amazon. Ugh.

Are they sending out review code for both console versions? I only ask because I want to know what kind of performance I should be expecting from the PS3 version, since past entries have had their issues. Still excited to see how this game turns out, the setting alone has me more interested than past games.

I was given a choice between 360 and PS3, so they aren't hiding one of the versions away.

Which game (3 or Lib) should you play first for the optimal experience? No spoilers please, I am even afraid to look in the OP.

Also if there is a link to some retrospective video of the game series, to catch up and refresh your memory, please paste it in a quote.

3. Liberation takes place later in the timeline from what I've understood.

But I must say, I'm surprised at how well Ubisoft have kept certain aspects of the game secret, really well controlled and calculated PR effort.

When do reviews release?

October 30th 6 PM Paris time.

-Winnie-

I want to pick this up but I never finished Revelations. I just booted it up an hour ago to try and continue but I felt so lost. Argh. Gonna have to restart, and I don't think I'll be done by next Tuesday.

Guess I'll be skipping until I'm ready to play it. I plan on picking up Liberation day 1 though, since I don't believe it has anything to do with Desmond.

Watch the last hour on Youtube, that's basically all you'll need.

Spazznid

Heroes Wanted

Just watched this and wasn't sure if it'd been posted.
Shows some levels and scenes not shown in other vids.

Also, there's PLENTY of time to beat Revelations before the 10th.

These games are only about 7-9 hours if you don't do much side-questing. You won't miss out on much of the story at all by skipping side-quests, either.

I plan on waiting for the PC version of III, so Liberation better be good enough to hold me back.

Then again, there's Halo and the WiiU... I'll be okay... (O)_(O)

ekim

German Ubi shop has the game in stock - I really hope they send it out early because there are 2 holidays next week in germany. (Wednesday, which is the release day and Thursday)

OmegaZero

I'm waiting for the PC version - and reviews.
I doubt this'll do bad, since it looks like a general improvement from the previous games, but you never know.

Micerider

Now the question....waiting for the PC version or not?

I played all the previous entries on Xbox 360 but I have a capable gaming PC anew...yet, Ubi still scares me with it's general PC policy...have they shown anything running on PC yet for ACIII?

I played all the previous entries on Xbox 360 but I have a capable gaming PC anew...yet, Ubi still scares me with it's general PC policy...have they shown anything running on PC yet for ACIII?

My guess that everything we've seen from commercials and trailers would be from the PC version, since it without doubt will be the best looking one.

Pretty sure they've said that they don't really overlap, so you can start with whichever one you want. Personally, I'm starting with Liberation for the following reason I gave in the Liberation thread:
So what order will people be playing them in? The way I see it is that AC3 has a decent chance of pulling a Mass Effect 3 with the ending, trying to be shocking for stupidities sake and ultimately, putting me off the series entirely. Whereas I don't think there's any chance of that happening with Liberation, as the modern day stuff seems fairly minimal. So erring on the side of caution, Liberation is a much better choice to start with.

I'll probably jump into some AC3 multi as I'm playing through Liberation though.

This would probably be the first AC I ever bought...

But my wife is a huge fan and is eagerly anticipating this one. So she'll pick it up, now I don't have to :p

zkylon

zkylewd
Just finished AC2, then plowed through AC:B, and am well on my way in AC:R. so far the damage is about one week, or probably 14 hours, depending on how you look at it. Hard-ish finding the time to play, working as I do. I got AC:R and AC:B during the Steam summer sale .

Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood - 7.49 USD
Assassin's Creed: Revelations - 12.49 USD

The crappy Uplay Launcher is required, but it's effect is minimal and the fact that you can unlock DLC by earning achievements is awesome. *Cough* Steam *Cough*

Wait for winter sale. It might hit less than 10 USD.
Is Ass Rev in any way of interest? I didn't love Ass Bro but I really like getting into the story stuff, dumb as it is.

I'll probably see if I can get ACIII for a reasonable price, and if not, I'll just go for Ass Rev for now.

I'm not really hype about the ACIII. Yet.

I feel like if they didn't release Revelations, than more people would be excited for this game. Whenever a franchise becomes annual, people immediately get a little more put off by the games for some reason. Plus reviewers were a little more unfavourable towards ACR for some reason. I wasn't that much worse than AC2 and ACB according to everyone in this thread who's played it (I haven't, because of the reviews).

---

Is the AC3 team a different team who has been working on this game for three years?

I'm not sure what the differences are between the teams who made AC2, ACB, ACR, and AC3.

---

I can't imagine they leave this location after AC3, the amount of work they put into each town and environment in these games is crazy, it would seem mad if they were to ditch it after just one game. I wonder how many years it'll be until we get another new time period/location.

I feel like if they didn't release Revelations, than more people would be excited for this game. Whenever a franchise becomes annual, people immediately get a little more put off by the games for some reason. Plus reviewers were a little more unfavourable towards ACR for some reason. I wasn't that much worse than AC2 and ACB according to everyone in this thread who's played it (I haven't, because of the reviews).

---

Is the AC3 team a different team who has been working on this game for three years?

I'm not sure what the differences are between the teams who made AC2, ACB, ACR, and AC3.

---

I can't imagine they leave this location after AC3, the amount of work they put into each town and environment in these games is crazy, it would seem mad if they were to ditch it after just one game. I wonder how many years it'll be until we get another new time period/location.

AC3 is made by the AC2 team, Brotherhood and Revelations was made by splinter groups, at least thats how it's been reported. It's been in production for about three years.

Is Ass Rev in any way of interest? I didn't love Ass Bro but I really like getting into the story stuff, dumb as it is.

I'll probably see if I can get ACIII for a reasonable price, and if not, I'll just go for Ass Rev for now.

I'm not really hype about the ACIII. Yet.

Revelations sets up the beginning of 3, but you can just YouTube it. 3 opens with a running start, so knowing what the hell is going is going to benefit you.

Nome

---

---

I enjoyed ACR a lot. People like to nag about its
overall irrelevance in the Desmond story
but that's exactly why I liked it so much. It focused on Ezio as a character, specifically with his increasing detachment with normal people. His role as a master assassin is already cemented, so the entire story is just about self discovery and obsession over his visions. The entire thing is amplified by him being in a foreign land. That's what makes Sofia Sartor such a great character too. She's like a little island of sanity for him.

Collider

Banned
Can't wait for this game. Assassins Creed is one of my favorite franchises this gen. I love all the games except Revelations.
But theres a chance for this game to get bombed as Patrice Desilets din't work on it. and I strongly believe Revelations got bombed just becoz of this.
But, ACIII free running looks better than ever.

Jac_Solar

New stuff: Hunting, forest-exploration (Which seems to be drastically different from normal city type gameplay of the previous games.), sea-faring combat and exploration (On your own boat.), inviting NPC's to live at your homestead, climbing trees and mountains (They mentioned that the "grab points" on these elements is different, more natural, than the ones on buildings I think.)

The part I'm most excited about is the forest-exploration -- it looks really, really fun. But someone mentioned that hunting is a string of QTE's -- is this true? The sea-faring gameplay also looks like A LOT of fun.

I just hope that the new aspects of gameplay don't feel like standard Assassins Creed gameplay but glued and taped onto new assets/scenarios -- ie, feels and plays like standard city-play, except you're on the ocean, or in the forest, which is what tends to happen to games with many uniquely different gameplay elements.

Obviously, it won't feel like a totally different game unless they built a new engine.

Monocle

I still have half of Brotherhood and the whole of Revelations to finish before I'll be ready to touch this. Still feeling the hype though.

casabolg

Banned
I just want to know what they've done about stealth.
Do I actually need to use stealth or am I anonymous at nearly all times again?
I just want a challenge, not a walk in the park.

Pre-ordered at Play-Asia for full price, along with Liberation. One hundred and four dollars, and no DLC.

But I get them on Day One, with the possibility of being the first person to solve some dastardly puzzle or discover some obscure easter egg. Can not wait.

(Now why are they using O's and not U's in "Ratohnhaké:ton" if that's how it's pronounced?)

Why from P-A if I may ask?

SJRB

Gold Member
If some of you are running out of time, Revelations is all but a must-play. Reading the wiki is more than enough, since the game adds nothing substantial to the overall plot other than closure for certain characters.

Ironically enough the game doesn't feature any 'revelations' at all, and even though the city looks great the core game adds nothing to the overall experience - bombs are trivial, Den Defence is poorly thought-out, the hookblade is a gimmick and the notoriety system is created by someone who hates videogames. Not to mention the story makes Ezio look like a sociopath and the Assassins like a bunch of raggedy terrorists. It's a filler to keep the franchise warm and fill the gap between Brotherhood and ACIII and that's noticable.

But I guess the game is worth playing for the bard mission alone.

Irish

Can't wait for this game. Assassins Creed is one of my favorite franchises this gen. I love all the games except Revelations.
But theres a chance for this game to get bombed as Patrice Desilets din't work on it. and I strongly believe Revelations got bombed just becoz of this.
But, ACIII free running looks better than ever.

What a lot of people don't seem to realize when they say this is that AC1 was more along Patrice's vision than ACII was. Most people don't like AC1, but I did, so I'm never really sure why people call for him all the time. AC:R would match his line of thinking moreso as well.

I'm waiting for the PC version - and reviews.
I doubt this'll do bad, since it looks like a general improvement from the previous games, but you never know.

Sales-wise, there's no way in hell this thing is going to bomb. It might not score as rave reviews as ACII or Brohood, but the average consumer doesn't care about that.

If some of you are running out of time, Revelations is all but a must-play. Reading the wiki is more than enough, since the game adds nothing substantial to the overall plot other than closure for certain characters.

Ironically enough the game doesn't feature any 'revelations' at all, and even though the city looks great the core game adds nothing to the overall experience - bombs are trivial, Den Defence is poorly thought-out, the hookblade is a gimmick and the notoriety system is created by someone who hates videogames. Not to mention the story makes Ezio look like a sociopath and the Assassins like a bunch of raggedy terrorists. It's a filler to keep the franchise warm and fill the gap between Brotherhood and ACIII and that's noticable.

Brotherhood was a lot worse than ACR in that regard, imo. Brotherhood is the pure definition of filler: they could've condensed it all into one memory block and nobody would've noticed. Revelations' story, at leas the Ezio side of it, was actually decent.

I usually go ahead and buy on PS3 and never finish, but this time I've learned my lesson. I'm waiting for the PC version as that is where I usually end up finishing the games.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

The notoriety system debuted with AC2. The only notable changes to it in Revelations come in the form of building up an area increasing notoriety (which is fair) and wanted posters being removed as an option to reduce notoriety (which was a stupid decision and one I'm glad Ubi didn't repeat with AC3).

Tiu Neo

I hope it's a midnight release on PSN, or at least an early update week.
LOL, Grace Chen will never let that happen.

Radec

not gonna check this thread anymore, its just gonna make the wait for the pc version harder.

ffuuuccckk
you ubi

edit: some parting gifs

http://i.minus.com/i8jc1sURAz8rH.gif
http://www.abload.de/img/untitled461f46.gif
http://i.minus.com/ixILXQICGw7Fw.gif
http://www.abload.de/img/untitled5iadl5.gif
http://www.abload.de/img/untitled7sxcxq.gif

[/IMG]http://www.abload.de/img/untitled8upivo.gif[/IMG] [/IMG]http://www.abload.de/img/untitled908f81.gif[/IMG]

[/IMG]http://www.abload.de/img/untitled63yfh5.gif[/IMG] [/IMG]http://i.minus.com/iO5JqrNmxPYkN.gif[/IMG]

Fantastic.

Kouichi

Man, I'm so excited for this. Just one more week! I'm going to put so much time into multiplayer, just like Brotherhood.

nickcv

i don't know if this one was already posted:

http://www.vg247.com/2012/10/23/assassins-creed-3-dlc-is-non-canon-to-avoid-fracturing-fan-base/
Assassin’s Creed 3 DLC is non-canon to avoid ‘fracturing’ fan base

Assassin’s Creed 3 DLC ‘The Tyranny of King Washington’, gives an alternative slant on history, in which George Washington becomes a mad tyrant and rules over the States with an iron fist. The fantastical tone of the DLC is to avoid fracturing the fan base post-launch, Ubisoft has explained.

Top Bottom