• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed III |OT| Easier to read than Ratonhnhaké:ton

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
At this point, it sounds like I made a good decision waiting for the PC version. I'm not entirely sure things will improve with that release, but the framerate issues I've been hearing about in the console version sounds like something easily solved by a PC version.

I'm still dying to play it, though. Controls-wise, has the game really been revamped? It sounds like they just threw away the old system entirely and rebuilt it from the ground up.

So, I didnt care much for AC1 or 2, but I love the setting of #3, and the time period. Seeing some trailers and brief playthroughs, and it looks fantastic in terms of setting and story. Love nature, and love that there is a lot of forest-- how open world is this in terms of map size and diversity in geography?

Story seems pretty interesting. AC3 was not on my radar much until now.

Curufinwe

So on the 360 do you have to swap discs to play multiplayer? Or can you install both discs to the hard drive and play multiplayer with the first disc in the drive?

Anyone?

I got AC 2, Bro and Rev on the 360 but I hate swapping discs so I might get AC 3 on the PS3 if it performs just as well there.

megalowho

Really enjoyed the first real playable bits of the game, was not expecting that. Very cool spare no expense type stuff.

Not sure if I'm supposed to take my time with the introduction or just push through, there's certainly a lot of it. Had a few glitches but nothing disastrous. Fun setup so far though, and great atmosphere. Character animation seems to have taken a pretty decent leap from the previous AC games as well.

Sillverrr

I want to see a proper comparison between the PS3 and 360 versions too. PS3 is distractingly bad in the frame rate department. I've watched a few Youtube clips and the 360 seems a little better, although my eyes could be deceiving me.

Shouldn't let this distract me but I'm kicking myself for not buying it on 360 (no way I can wait for PC).

ttocs

I want to see a proper comparison between the PS3 and 360 versions too. PS3 is distractingly bad in the frame rate department. I've watched a few Youtube clips and the 360 seems a little better, although my eyes could be deceiving me.

Shouldn't let this distract me but I'm kicking myself for not buying it on 360 (no way I can wait for PC).

PS3 comes with extra missions though. And the difference between consoles are usually negligible.

So, I didnt care much for AC1 or 2, but I love the setting of #3, and the time period. Seeing some trailers and brief playthroughs, and it looks fantastic in terms of setting and story. Love nature, and love that there is a lot of forest-- how open world is this in terms of map size and diversity in geography?

Story seems pretty interesting. AC3 was not on my radar much until now.

Honestly its pretty damn big. Maybe not Skyrim big but for an adventure game. Plenty to explore. :D

Sorry if this has been answered. But I can't figure out what's wrong. When an enemy attacks me i press be to counter, time slows as I block it, I press X and nothing happens...

ttocs

Sorry if this has been answered. But I can't figure out what's wrong. When an enemy attacks me i press be to counter, time slows as I block it, I press X and nothing happens...

You are on the boat, right? You need to just hold in the button. I got stuck at that part too. I think holding it in will do the 3 you need. Then it opens up the ability to counter and then attack.

Phenomic

I honestly feel crazy right now but I'm standing near the very beginning of the game and it tells me to zoom in to fire a gun and I cannot get him to pull out the gun. What the heck am I doing wrong? Physically I'm locked in place and I cannot move at all and he just stands there and does nothing.

Oops I got it to work and wasn't going to post this, but eh w/e that still was weird though maybe it glitched out.

ttocs

I honestly feel crazy right now but I'm standing near the very beginning of the game and it tells me to zoom in to fire a gun and I cannot get him to pull out the gun. What the heck am I doing wrong? Physically I'm locked in place and I cannot move at all and he just stands there and does nothing.

Oops I got it to work and wasn't going to post this, but eh w/e that still was weird though maybe it glitched out.

You need to target the barrels on the ground. Happened to me too. It will glow white when you are pointing at them using L1 (or maybe L2, can't remember)

First sequence is fucking incredible.

Also, is it just me or does the game have really excellent anti-aliasing, at least on Xbox? The cutscenes in particular look incredibly smooth.

Anyone?

I got AC 2, Bro and Rev on the 360 but I hate swapping discs so I might get AC 3 on the PS3 if it performs just as well there.

If you are keep it for MP, I would say get the PS3 version and the extra missions. If you only care about SP then get the 360 version and sell your MP disc on eBay for like $25.

TimeLike

You need to target the barrels on the ground. Happened to me too. It will glow white when you are pointing at them using L1 (or maybe L2, can't remember)

This totally threw me for a loop too. I was pointing at the barrels in the cart and he would not shoot! I was getting mad and then I just happened to move the crosshairs over the barrels on the ground and saw them light up.

It's not the only time I've had trouble in a scripted shooting part in this game. Bad design I say.

You are on the boat, right? You need to just hold in the button. I got stuck at that part too. I think holding it in will do the 3 you need. Then it opens up the ability to counter and then attack.

Nah I'm past that. I just realized it works fine when I use my hidden blade, but when I have my sword out it won't let me do the follow up attack.

Halcyon

So I played for like 5 or 6 hours. At first I was really into it. I'm now finally at the point where its just assassins creed and the missions aren't doing it for me. I may just be burned out. It took a LONG time to actually get to the game.

I'm playing on PS3 and the framerate isn't very good but I think its about the same as the other games. Aside from the naval battles it definitely feels like the same game while you're in Boston.

I'll probably do some of the side naval stuff because that was really cool.

I realize the thing I liked the most about 2 and Brotherhood was upgrading the villa and getting new armor/dyes.

If 3 doesn't have that I'm probably going to be bored with the formula.

one_kill

Just got my Freedom Edition an hour ago! The shop I bought it from had toy tomahawks for sale. I'm embarassed to say I wanted to get one.

The statue is pretty awesome! I haven't invested myself in the journal, but the pictures in the envelope were nice. I also liked how it came with a steelbook AND a normal case.

Initially I wasn't going to open it. I would've profited if I sold it on eBay. I couldn't resist though.

Bumhead

Banned
Can't wait for this. I haven't played any Assassins Creed since I dropped the first game somewhere in the middle, so all of the improvements since 2 are still going to feel pretty fresh for me.

Everything else about the game looks and sounds great.

cluto

Hey, so for those of us that pre-ordered Assassins Creed 3 on Newegg and also picked up a copy at Target (or some other store) on day 1 (today) with the intention of returning the newegg copy to essentially get the game on day 1 at a discounted price, note that the Target version of AC3 has a "TARGET EDITION" banner on the front. I'm thinking this will cause problems when trying to return the newegg copy.

I'm not sure if I should wait until thursday to get my newegg copy, or if I should just risk it. Can someone in the US with a non-Target Xbox 360 copy of AC3 post the upc code that's on the back of the case? It's the 12 number code under the bar code.

EDIT: Looks like there are different upc codes for each retail version, so it might not be returnable. If these Gamestop and Target versions are only in the first run, and they get normal copies afterwards, then a newegg copy should be returnable. In theory.

...welp, I think I encountered my first game breaking bug!

I can't shoot my gun. It's telling me to aim and shoot some powder kegs, but I simply can't do anything. Can't equip the pistol, can't fire, can't reload, nothing.

...welp, I think I encountered my first game breaking bug!

I can't shoot my gun. It's telling me to aim and shoot some powder kegs, but I simply can't do anything. Can't equip the pistol, can't fire, can't reload, nothing.

Make sure your aiming the reticle at the right one. Aim at it with the cursor and hit the fire button. He won't pull up the weapon until he actually fires.

ekim

Make sure your aiming the reticle at the right one. Aim at it with the cursor and hit the fire button. He won't pull up the weapon until he actually fires.

It took me some time to get this. I also didn't like that the game didn't introduce me to the R1 button to equip coins. Some orphans ruined a stealth mission because I didn't know how to throw coins but it told me to do so.

Wow, that's goofy as hell. If they're going to put bleeding obvious icons everywhere they should've put the icon over the barrels you *actually* needed to shoot! :p

Sanjuro

Bringing this game back to the Redbox. Got through the first two sequences, can't take it anymore. Incredibly beautiful game with incredibly sloppy gameplay.

Can we say 2 more or less "disappointing" AC games in a row?

I personally enjoyed Revelations, but not nearly quite as much as I did ACII and Brotherhood. The burned feeling was there.

Didn't read the last few pages. Are you guys enjoying it a lot?

I personally enjoyed Revelations, but not nearly quite as much as I did ACII and Brotherhood. The burned feeling was there.

Personally the only AC game I felt a big burn out on and had to force myself to play was the first one. Since then I've enjoyed all the others. Yes there is alot of core things in the new one thats the same. Yet there is alot of new things, and tweaks. Yes the bugs are there but this series has never really been known for its polish in that department. The setting is alone enough to warrant the playthrough for me but regardless of all that hub bub, I've just had a blast with it.

Sanjuro

I hate it. Again, I've only played the first one and didn't like that game either.

Im enjoying this one so far.I only really liked the numbered games.Never really got into the others.

Definitely getting a 'buy-and-return-within-7-days-to-get-my-money-back' vibe from this one. A shame. I thought it was going to hit it out of the park.

been watching my roomie play this (I think he's on sequence 7) now and I don't know if I'll buy my own copy of it, probably just play through it when hes done. Brotherhood seems to have been the high point of the series (I've played all of them) and while the wilderness sections are pretty, I'm not liking the use of wilderness/small colonial towns over ancient cities. Graphically, this game looks very mediocre to me (particularly foliage and character models). Story is intriguing at least though it's definitely more buggy than previous titles. All in all I think this series needs new hardware and a new engine badly...

Smo21

Dunno if this is a bug but I can't get the prompt to talk to Rebecca or Shaun at all. When they have nothing to say will that press any button prompt not show up?

Also I can't get my ps3 online, is there anyway to get and install the patch from my computer onto a USB?

Halcyon

So, the combat is as past games? Hit the 'win' button?

Yea its basically the same only you don't have to target and hold a bumper to counter. You just hold down O(ps3) and he will parry. There's enemy that you have to kick first then spam attack and 1 hit kill others around you.

Its not much different.

So, the combat is as past games? Hit the 'win' button?

No. Now you first have to hit the 'defend'-button, and then you can hit the 'win'-button.

Bit annoying, though. Everytime I press B to defend and the main character is standing over a weapon, he picks up the weapon instead. Lost a lot of health that way already, maybe it's a good thing it regenerates.

Okay, here's my first impressions.

The good:

Exploration is really good again. The characters I've met so far are interesting too. I've only played until about halfway Sequence 3, so I can't say any more than that.

The bad:

Movement is a lot more fluid, almost unnaturally so. I mean, there's only so much suspension of disbelief you can have when seeing characters scale enormous buildings in a matter of seconds, but somehow it just doesn't feel real anymore. It's also a lot easier than even the AC2 trilogy, though it does glitch out occasionally. I followed an NPC in the Frontier, and when she performed a Leap of Faith from a rock I followed her. Instead of initiating a Leap of Faith, however, I ended up falling flat on my face like an idiot. That healh regeneration sounds like a better and better idea every time I think about it.

What's up with Desmond/Connor's default stance, by the way? He'll be talking to people, feet slightly apart, shoulders hunched forward like a rhino ready to pounce on someone. It's jarring, especially when there's so many 'interactive conversations'. Should've just been cutscenes.

Also, hunting QTE's need to die in a fire. I could live with them if they were the same every time: for instance, just press X and B every time a wolf attacks, but noo, they need to change it up for no apparent reason. Best part is, the action you perform remains the same, regardless of what combo you need to press.

The floating HUD icons are an annoyance, as well. I tried turning them off, but someone at Ubisoft thought it would be a good idea to get rid of enemy awareness meters at the same time. Thus I'm stuck with them.

All in all, it's a good game so far, but there's a lot of little things that make me wonder who at Ubisoft could've ever thought "Hey, this is a good idea, and definitely something that adds to our game. We should add this instead of polishing the rest." This is just my first time playing, so my opinion might change, but right now I'm suspecting Revelations will remain my favorite game in the series.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Someone just needs to tell me if this story is anywhere near as interesting as ACII, at least the Desmond side stuff.

I just want to hear how the ending of this game is, before I invest any time into playing it. Otherwise I might just end up YouTubing the ending.

I heard AC2.5 and AC2.75 were a massive dissappointment in moving the Desmond storyline. So I hope this game makes something interesting.

I think we can all agree how "Awesome, you gotta play this game to see the ending!" ACII was.

I'm really enjoying the game so far. I'm about 2-3 hours in and the story is fantastic. It doesn't feel slow yet.

I sold my multiplayer disc on ebay for $22! I got this game in a b2g1 deal and ended up paying $30 after trade-in for each game, so now I've paid $8 for assassin's creed or $23 for each game. Fantastic day.

Top Bottom