• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed III |OT| Easier to read than Ratonhnhaké:ton

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Almost snagged this because of the massive hype, not to mention that the American Revolution setting is a huge draw for me. But I decided to wait a little bit. I bought Assassin's Creed II about 6 months ago and have yet to beat that. Figure it wouldn't hurt to put more time into ACII, give Ubisoft a couple weeks or months to sort out some of these bugs that are present in III.

Bergsy

I like 1 and 2, didnt bother with brotherhood or Revelations.

Still worth getting or has too much happened?

Thank you please.

ttocs

I like 1 and 2, didnt bother with brotherhood or Revelations.

Still worth getting or has too much happened?

Thank you please.

A lot has happened but you can easily pick it up via a wiki page. Even people who have played those two games, like myself, find themselves looking at the wiki pages for refreshers. The series has introduced a lot of lore and it's easy to forget some of the smaller details.

And like ultron87 said, Brotherhood was amazing so if you want to play that first, you should. Revelations was a little ho hum because we were treading in the same area yet again and it was getting stale by that point. AC3 was just what the doctor ordered in terms of freshening up the series again.

What happened to the whole combat-on-the-run thing? I'm about 8 hours into the game and have yet to be taught about it.

It's sort of strange how hand-holdy AC3 can be with some things, and then not even mention others. I've done some running assassinations but never got any notice saying they existed.

Maybe in the emails section?

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
It's sort of strange how hand-holdy AC3 can be with some things, and then not even mention others. I've done some running assassinations but never got any notice saying they existed.

Maybe in the emails section?

It's mentioned in the email about animus upgrades IIRC.

ultron87

I guess the combat on the run stuff is the reason you don't dive on guys you're chasing with the blade anymore. Instead you just kind of ram it into their backside and keep moving.

For fuck's sake, this game's combat is a fucking mess. They tried to make something that feels real and failed horribly. Often when I'm blocking I'll press the 'counter' button and end up charging away from combat instead, or pick up a weapon dropped by a fallen foe.

And don't get me started on those new 'heavy' type enemies, I don't have any idea how you take those fuckers down. You can't break their defenses, you can't counter 'em, you can't do anything.

I don't hold down block at all really. To counter I just tap B. And for the heavies with the axes and hammers.... I don't know what you are talking about because all you have to do is break down their defense with A until you sweep them to the ground, then kill them.

Akainu

Just started it up and my god. That girl is a completely different character. What up with the lack of consistency with character designs?

ekim

What happened to the whole combat-on-the-run thing? I'm about 8 hours into the game and have yet to be taught about it.

Press RT (R2? on ps3) and while you are running, add LT(L2?) - camera angle should change. Press and hold your attack button while running (your knifes should be "extended") and release it when you are near an enemy (he must be highlighted). you can easily one-hit-kill a trio of enemies with this approach. The game never told me that.

Press RT (R2 on ps3) and while you are running, add LT(L2) - camera angle should change. Press and hold your attack button while running and release ist when you are near an enemy (he must be highlighted). you can easily one-hit-kill a trio of enemies with this approach. The game never told me that.

So bizarre. The game has plenty big of a wind-up to teach you about stuff like that.

It'll use your tool. Admittedly I've never tried using it with anything other than a pistol, but it's a good combo.

Yeah, you can work a lot of different tools into your combos. Once you get the rope dart you can pull someone in and flip them over your back and axe them in the face with the tomahawk. You can even counter kill with the bow.

I think I also mentioned this earlier, but I would recommend to fool around with Conner's placement when fighting. Have his back pressed against a wall or tree and when he counters he will use the environment to his advantage. Such as throwing someone against a tree and axing them in the back of the neck. My favorite is with his fists, he will grab an enemy, run up and wall and spin off of it snapping the dudes neck. The animations are crazy good!

ultron87

Press RT (R2 on ps3) and while you are running, add LT(L2) - camera angle should change. Press and hold your attack button while running (your knifes should be "extended") and release it when you are near an enemy (he must be highlighted). you can easily one-hit-kill a trio of enemies with this approach. The game never told me that.

Really? Holy crap. I'll need to try that. Or maybe that's what I've been doing all along with holding X as you hit a group. I dunno.

I have played every AC, and beaten all of them except for AC1 - which I grew bored of quickly. Besides the first game, I have enjoyed them all quite a bit, and consider Brotherhood to be the jewel of the series. I have mixed feelings about AC3.

I really liked the opening chapter; besides a trailer or two I’ve not been keeping up with the game, so this chapter came out of nowhere and I immediately recognized the production values. The graphics are fine, and the game is ambitious, but I have some issues with the game that I hope will be resolved or at least mitigated to some degree.

-The opening of the game is looooooooooooong and sloooooooooow…………the duration of this needs to be halved or something.

-What happened to combat? It feels like something is different here. Is the block button gone? Didn’t there used to be a button to lock onto people? Why can’t I lock onto people!?!? Why are so many actions mapped to the “O” button, that I end up spazzing it during hectic situations? I understand that the camera tries to give a cinematic feel to some of the fights, but sometimes it just goes crazy, and I can’t really even tell what’s going on (again why can’t I lock onto people?)

-Kneeling in grass that coneals 30% of your body makes you invisible to a guard a foot away from you. Just like real life!

-The game feels like it’s been simplified. Two buttons basically do everything now. While I’m holding R1 to run, I keep wanting to hold X to sprint, but there is no need for that now – same with jumping ‘up’ when climbing structures.

-The game hand holds you for like 7 hours, but then doesn’t tell you how to do basic things…how the hell do I check my email? How do you shoot the rifle that you pick up from soldiers (I figured this out easily enough, but still?). The game showed it once, but I have no idea how to hold a guard when a firing line is shooting at me.

-Hunting seems pretty lame; they should have taken some pages out of Red Dead Redemption (and the only page they took out “bending down to knife/clean the kill” was the part about hunting in RDR that no one liked after the first time and skipped – thankfully it can be skipped in AC3 and is far quicker in general.)

-The navy battle was interesting; will play again.

-I’m at Chapter 7 and I hope it gets better.

Andrew.

Banned
So bizarre. The game has plenty big of a wind-up to teach you about stuff like that.

This sounds like RE6 syndrome with the "advanced" controls and lack of proper, adequate instruction on how to perform them.

Someone needs to put together a manual that explains how to fire your muskets, use human shields, do running assassinations, etc. much like what was done for RE6

-The game feels like it’s been simplified. Two buttons basically do everything now. While I’m holding R1 to run, I keep wanting to hold X to sprint, but there is no need for that now – same with jumping ‘up’ when climbing structures.

This bothers me more than it should.. But they probably made the changes because the tree traversal would be more difficult if the controls were how they used to be.

This sounds like RE6 syndrome with the "advanced" controls and lack of proper, adequate instruction on how to perform them.

Someone needs to put together a manual that explains how to fire your muskets, use human shields, do running assassinations, etc. much like what was done for RE6

It definitely seems like it, although at the end of the day I'm having a lot more fun with AC3. Still, considering how long the tutorial is I have no idea why so much stuff is skimmed over.

Also what are the icons over Homestead people on the minimap? Even on my HDTV I can't make them out. Are they periodic table icons?

ekim

It definitely seems like it, although at the end of the day I'm having a lot more fun with AC3. Still, considering how long the tutorial is I have no idea why so much stuff is skimmed over.

Also what are the icons over Homestead people on the minimap? Even on my HDTV I can't make them out. Are they periodic table icons?

Abbreviations of their forenames.

Andrew.

Banned

Do they actually teach you how to do all of this at some point (im guessing rather quickly or half assed) or is it your responsibility to look it up in the email system?

How do you get new recruits? I've had the one french dude for forever now.

I've got two so far. Not sure if this is exact but I started doing the missions in Boston to liberate sections and I suddenly had a mission where I helped a guy out and he became a recruit after that. Guessing more of those unlock later. Now I'm sending both of them out at the same time on missions.

Also in the crafting menu, what does it mean when an artisan is red and has a number by them, I''m totally confused. I know I can't create them till that changes to color but I'm like HOW do I get that to change.

I think this is pretty dismal, really. On part 6, and still being taught stuff that I don't feel I need to know: not just as a series veteran, but because I have been shown no reason this are to think that hunting is a useful tool. The story is dull, the gameplay dull, it's fiddly and broken in places, buggy as all hell, and everything is curiously lacking in character. So yeah, I am not impressed.

I have played every AC, and beaten all of them except for AC1 - which I grew bored of quickly. Besides the first game, I have enjoyed them all quite a bit, and consider Brotherhood to be the jewel of the series. I have mixed feelings about AC3.

I really liked the opening chapter; besides a trailer or two I’ve not been keeping up with the game, so this chapter came out of nowhere and I immediately recognized the production values. The graphics are fine, and the game is ambitious, but I have some issues with the game that I hope will be resolved or at least mitigated to some degree.

-The opening of the game is looooooooooooong and sloooooooooow…………the duration of this needs to be halved or something.

-What happened to combat? It feels like something is different here. Is the block button gone? Didn’t there used to be a button to lock onto people? Why can’t I lock onto people!?!? Why are so many actions mapped to the “O” button, that I end up spazzing it during hectic situations? I understand that the camera tries to give a cinematic feel to some of the fights, but sometimes it just goes crazy, and I can’t really even tell what’s going on (again why can’t I lock onto people?)

-Kneeling in grass that coneals 30% of your body makes you invisible to a guard a foot away from you. Just like real life!

-The game hand holds you for like 7 hours, but then doesn’t tell you how to do basic things…how the hell do I check my email? How do you shoot the rifle that you pick up from soldiers (I figured this out easily enough, but still?). The game showed it once, but I have no idea how to hold a guard when a firing line is shooting at me.

-Hunting seems pretty lame; they should have taken some pages out of Red Dead Redemption (and the only page they took out “bending down to knife/clean the kill” was the part about hunting in RDR that no one liked after the first time and skipped – thankfully it can be skipped in AC3 and is far quicker in general.)

-The navy battle was interesting; will play again.

-I’m at Chapter 7 and I hope it gets better.

Except showing you how to check your email (which you should already know having said you played previous games) Everything you stating is explained in the game.

Block is holding B.

holding A or B while free running will cause Conner to quickly vault over low objects like fences or tree trunks. Use A to make a leap off of tall structures when just holding RT would stop you at the edge of a ledge. Use B when you want to take a shallow jump off of something or want to tackle a person in a crowd below, breaking your fall.

What's the best way to get money? So far I've been concentrating on sidequests and collectibles and I can hardly afford anything.

Right now, hunting, selling, and trading is my main. One you get the assassins and send some on missions, you'll get alot as well :D I just started ranking in some major money!

Right now, hunting, selling, and trading is my main. One you get the assassins and send some on missions, you'll get alot as well :D I just started ranking in some major money!

I kind of wish they still had shops that you could buy. The trading stuff is cool. I just get pissed when I have to travel halfway around the frontier map because my caravan got attacked.

I don't hold down block at all really. To counter I just tap B. And for the heavies with the axes and hammers.... I don't know what you are talking about because all you have to do is break down their defense with A until you sweep them to the ground, then kill them.

Just tried this, it works well.

I'm still so used to the AC2 system where you have to hold RT to do any combat action. Having played Revelations only a few weeks ago kinda hurts me, now.

Damn, I hoped there would be a better way. Which products are the most valuable?

Pelts! Also surprisingly Beaver pelts are worth alot! Man I saw a family of three running for their lives but one by one they succumbed to my blade! *sniff* Kinda felt bad! My on looking friend said..."you just killed that entire lineage of Beaver" I said... "I needs da money!"

Also I'm having such a great time with this I might double dip with either pc or Wii U versions!

CrazyDude

never thought i'd say this, but i miss those bards. fucking creepy children in here just ha-ha-ing is unsettling

damien_omen.jpg

I don't suppose there's a training program like in AC2, is there? I can't find it, at least. It shames me that I need it, but I'm having trouble getting the hang of the combat.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
I don't suppose there's a training program like in AC2, is there? I can't find it, at least. It shames me that I need it, but I'm having trouble getting the hang of the combat.

What exactly are you having trouble with? Maybe we can help you out?

CrazyDude

I am having trouble with countering. Am I suppose to hit the B button once, or am I suppose to hold it? I keep messing up counters.

Just tried this, it works well.

I'm still so used to the AC2 system where you have to hold RT to do any combat action. Having played Revelations only a few weeks ago kinda hurts me, now.

I love the new fight system, but yeah its hard to break the habit after 4 games.

I am having trouble with countering. Am I suppose to hit the B button once, or am I suppose to hold it? I keep messing up counters.

Just tap it. If you have the SSI turned on, when you see the red triangle above an enemies head that is when you need to counter. A successful counter will then slow combat for a second. From there you can link your next attack. If you are looking to do a counter kill, you would hit X hit after you hit B for the counter.

All the different attack link of from that counter. So hitting Y after B you will counter with the pistol. Hitting A you will break defense or steal an enemies weapon. Pressing B again after a counter with cause you to throw and enemy in whatever direction you are aiming with the stick.

What exactly are you having trouble with? Maybe we can help you out?

Countering, breaking defenses, in general: surviving. I lose a fuckton of health while fighting, and if I don't get killed outright I usually have to make a break for it in order to survive. I'm getting slightly better at it, but some things, like grabbing someone to use as meat shield when those damn musketeers are firing at you, still don't really work right.

dan2026

From all I've seen this game kind of looks like a poor man's Red Dead Redemption, with a much worse frame-rate.

Am I massively off base?

Top Bottom