• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed III |OT| Easier to read than Ratonhnhaké:ton

From all I've seen this game kind of looks like a poor man's Red Dead Redemption, with a much worse frame-rate.

Am I massively off base?

Yes. I mean....you can ride a horse and shoot a gun? No dead aim though.

By the way, what does the 3D strength opton do? I was tuning it like hell and noticed no difference.

If you have a 3D tv, you can play the game in 3D. The strength just controls the depth.

ttocs

From all I've seen this game kind of looks like a poor man's Red Dead Redemption, with a much worse frame-rate.

Am I massively off base?

I don't see this at all. Sure, it takes place in early America but you aren't running around with pistols and shotguns, you're an assassin that sticks tot he shadows and stealth kills when possible. The hunting stuff is very similar to an aspect of RDR, but in no way is this a "poor man's RDR"

Socreges

Banned

Am I massively off base?
That's been my take. There are so many negative impressions that the positive ones fail to persuade me. I'm guessing if you're a big fan, though, you'll be able to look past the shortcomings. I spoke to someone last night that raved about it, but warned that he could never be objective.

I can see now why they had a review embargo up until the game was released. I nearly did a trade-in deal to get it cheaper, but am glad I was wary and held off. I'll probably bite at $30-$40.

ttocs said:
I don't see this at all. Sure, it takes place in early America but you aren't running around with pistols and shotguns, you're an assassin that sticks tot he shadows and stealth kills when possible. The hunting stuff is very similar to an aspect of RDR, but in no way is this a "poor man's RDR"
He's just referring to the layout and structure of the game. They're similar in many respects. Obviously they differ in some.

Am I massively off base?

Yes.

Anyway, if there's one thing I'd want them to do away with, it's fucking full synch conditions. I hate being told how to play, but damnit, I can't let myself NOT do them. :(

That's been my take. There are so many negative impressions that the positive ones fail to persuade me. I'm guessing if you're a big fan, though, you'll be able to look past the shortcomings. I spoke to someone last night that raved about it, but warned that he could never be objective.

I can see now why they had a review embargo up until the game was released. I nearly did a trade-in deal to get it cheaper, but am glad I was wary and held off. I'll probably bite at $30-$40.

Well and what I find funny is the series has always had issues to an extent. This one has a bit more rough patches I think but it also is the most robust game in the series when it comes to what they are attempting. Did they bite off more then they can chew? Maybe? But for everything they did put in and included, there is so much content here and for me the small issue I have don't get in the way whatsoever. Yet everyone will feel different on this of course, just my thoughts.

Yes.

Anyway, if there's one thing I'd want them to do away with, it's fucking full synch conditions. I hate being told how to play, but damnit, I can't let myself NOT do them. :(

Yeah those things are just there to fuck with my OCD. lol. In past games, I usually just play through the first time trying to get what I can. I then go back later and get 100%

I want them to get rid of those viewpoint trees. Seriously, it takes like twenty tries to get one right.

Ahhh yeah. Hahaha. I found that when climbing a tree and ending up in a V shape hold point, just hit A instead of trying to hold RT and the direction to climb. This way you will be less likely to jump out at the wrong direction.

I want them to get rid of those viewpoint trees. Seriously, it takes like twenty tries to get one right.
I was having the same issues but most trees have a similar path to the top. So try to remember what you do on one, most likely you'll be following the same path with others.

For those who have started Sequence 6:
what do you guys think about the Shao Chun reference + animus database? Do you think we'll ever have a AC game telling her story?

-The game feels like it’s been simplified. Two buttons basically do everything now. While I’m holding R1 to run, I keep wanting to hold X to sprint, but there is no need for that now – same with jumping ‘up’ when climbing structures.

Yeah, that´s my biggest problem with the game. The climbing is even more shallow now, and on top of that they also took out the buildings where you had to find the right way to get on the top. Very disappointing design decision.

And why the fucking hell did they cut the assassins tombs?! Those where the best parts in AC 2 and Brotherhood and now they are gone.

I also really dislike the new hud. Old on looked way more stylish and fitting. And don`t get started with the trading system... very uncomfortable menu navigation.

I`m really disappointed with AC3.

I was having the same issues but most trees have a similar path to the top. So try to remember what you do on one, most likely you'll be following the same path with others.

It's pretty much the same path for each one, I think. There's just a lot of hit and miss involved, particulary with that one long leap between branches. If you're unlucky, you'll go tumbling off the deep end.

Also, finally starting to understand the combat, thanks to you guys. I've been blocking, defending, disarming and grabbing as meat shield like there's no tomorrow.

Just beat the game.

Its alright, but definitely not the best of the series. It feels a lot more simplified, the level design for missions has taken a huge nosedive imo as well. Conner just isn't a good protagonist, and considering he's a native american during that period of time you'd think they'd make a better effort out of it. While I do heavily enjoy the wilderness in this game, the cities are much worse than in previous games. Which as much as some would hate me for saying this I think the setting is the weakest of the series as well, I love american history but they didn't exactly use it as well as they could have. Great concept, lukewarm execution.

It's still a good game, but definitely my least favorite so far. Oh and you guys thought the Mass Effect 3 ending was bad? AC3's ending is straight up horrible, enough to have you wondering what the hell they were thinking as the credits roll. Considering how Altair and Ezio had the two best endings for any videogame characters ever in Revelations, I was severely disappointed.

I never had this problem. If you spam B then yeah...But hitting B when you are suppose to counter will not cause you to pick up a weapon instead.

My mistake, I was holding it down instead of tapping it. But, in my defense, the game does make you pick up weapons instead of blocking, then.

It's pretty much the same path for each one, I think. There's just a lot of hit and miss involved, particulary with that one long leap between branches. If you're unlucky, you'll go tumbling off the deep end.

Also, finally starting to understand the combat, thanks to you guys. I've been blocking, defending, disarming and grabbing as meat shield like there's no tomorrow.

You might be doing what I was for a bit, making that bit leap to the other V spot? If you are turn around you need to grab the branches, monkey bar your way over to the last and swing over to it instead.

Kjellson

Are there any "send-assassins-to-other-cities-and-countries"-side missions in this game like there were in Brotherhood and Revelations?

Curufinwe

Just beat the game.

Its alright, but definitely not the best of the series. It feels a lot more simplified, the level design for missions has taken a huge nosedive imo as well. Conner just isn't a good protagonist, and considering he's a native american during that period of time you'd think they'd make a better effort out of it. While I do heavily enjoy the wilderness in this game, he cities are much worse than in previous games. Which as much as some would hate me for saying this I think the setting is the weakest of the series as well, I love american history but they didn't exactly use it as well as they could have. Great concept, lukewarm execution.

It's still a good game, but definitely my least favorite so far. Oh and you guys thought the Mass Effect 3 ending was bad? AC3's ending is straight up horrible, enough to have you wondering what the hell they were thinking as the credits roll. Considering how Altair and Ezio had the two best endings for any videogame characters ever in Revelations, I was severely disappointed.

Thanks for the straight talk. I'll wait till it's half price on Black Friday.

Socreges

Banned
Well and what I find funny is the series has always had issues to an extent. This one has a bit more rough patches I think but it also is the most robust game in the series when it comes to what they are attempting. Did they bite off more then they can chew? Maybe? But for everything they did put in and included, there is so much content here and for me the small issue I have don't get in the way whatsoever. Yet everyone will feel different on this of course, just my thoughts.
Kind of seems like you're saying 'quantity over quality' :p

Are there any "send-assassins-to-other-cities-and-countries"-side missions in this game like there were in Brotherhood and Revelations?

Yep. Once you have some, you access them by pulling left bumper and then hitting X on xbox. Bring you to the map and missions for the assassins.

Kind of seems like you're saying 'quantity over quality' :p

Well in some ways yes, and in some ways no. I find alot to like in the game regardless of the quality of some choices they made. I just think perhaps they need more time with their new engine. The biggiest issues for me occuriein the cities and I'm guessing mostly due to all the people on screen. The pop in and draw in really bugs the shit out of me. Everything else is somewhat depending on the person. I don't mind the more stream lined climbing or combat. Still feels good to me, and I'm still having fun.... the key word here.

You might be doing what I was for a bit, making that bit leap to the other V spot? If you are turn around you need to grab the branches, monkey bar your way over to the last and swing over to it instead.

Nah, I'm doing it right (just did it in one go), there's just a big leap between two branches and the game doesn't always register that you're supposed to fly to that far away branch instead of tumbling to your squishy demise on the surface.

Socreges

Banned
Maybe I could go after Brotherhood or Revelations to get my AC fix instead. I've only ever played ACII and it was one of my favourite games from this gen.

Which one is considered better? And why is neither held in the same regard as ACII? I knew the answer to these questions at some point, but forgot.

Maybe I could go after Brotherhood or Revelations to get my AC fix instead. I've only ever played ACII and it was one of my favourite games from this gen.

Which one is considered better? And why is neither held in the same regard as ACII? I knew the answer to these questions at some point, but forgot.

I never completed Brotherhood by majority say this over Revelations by far. I really enjoyed what I did play of Brotherhood and again for Revelations. This series fans have their mixed favorites.

Nah, I'm doing it right (just did it in one go), there's just a big leap between two branches and the game doesn't always register that you're supposed to fly to that far away branch instead of tumbling to your squishy demise on the surface.

Ohhh okay, that I haven't really encountered so I'm not sure.

Curufinwe

Mainly because they were released so soon afterwards. If you loved AC 2, you should definitely play at least Brotherhood.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
I`m really disappointed with AC3.

Play the multiplayer, I feel like (minus the maps, which are ultimately disappointing, the American Revolution does nothing for me even as an American) they did a good job tweaking it from Brotherhood->Revelations->3.

I haven't even touched the singleplayer yet because I'm doing the "to 50" grind again. I really wish Ubisoft would half the rate of grind for veterans. Make 25->50 a shorter chore than 0->50. :/

I prefer AC: R, but most of GAF likes AC: B best.

Also guys, if I appear overly negative: I still love the game, but there's just an ungodly amount of useless additions that make me question the integrity of the mental faculties of those responsible. But, especially with the combat tips you've given me, I'm realling having a good time.

Sai-kun

Banned
Just beat it. Nowhere near as memorable as AC2 and Brotherhood were. Good game, full of little glitches, just doesn't have the same soul as AC2/ACB. I enjoyed my time as Desmond the most, which is saying something.

Multiplayer, or at least the objective modes, are really fun this time around though.

Even though this game isn't the GOAT, I'm still a little sad that it's over. I'm sure AC will be back eventually, but I hope they give it a long rest.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Honestly, they both have their pros and cons.

I feel the story is more "easy to follow" in Revelations since it doesn't have a big bad that is only in the game for like... 10 minutes like Brotherhood. You're actually meandering to that big-bad reveal but then it happens and shit happens shortly after that to where the big-bad isn't introduced and then steps off for ten hours.

But Brotherhood has a bit more to do. Revelation's main story is short and the extra stuff is a little too... "filler" with no "killer."

Sai said:
Multiplayer, or at least the objective modes, are really fun this time around though.

Manhunt > Wanted for Brotherhood.
Manhunt > Infected > Wanted > * > Simple Deathmatch for Revelations.
Manhunt > Wolfpack > Wanted > * > Simple Deathmatch for 3.

Anyone not playing Manhunt is doing it wrong, IMO. Nothing more scary than stunning a dude only to have three of his teammates come in off camera/behind your camera and stab you. :(

Okay, I wont give any spoilers but I am going to say this.
The end of Sequence 3 was great.
Anyone who has already completed that portion knows what I am talking about.

Okay, I wont give any spoilers but I am going to say this.
The end of Sequence 3 was great.
Anyone who has already completed that portion knows what I am talking about.

Yeah, but I'm honestly amazed at the amount of people really surprised by it.
It was the first thing that I thought when I first saw sequence 1.

Still, it was was delivered very neatly. PC folks are in for a treat.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Yeah, but I'm honestly amazed at the amount of people really surprised by it.
It was the first thing that I thought when I first saw sequence 1.

Still, it was was delivered very neatly. PC folks are in for a treat.
Stepping back and looking at it a bit more objectively, there are a lot of subtle cues in personality, story and character aesthetics that contribute to the ambiguity.
Him having a hidden blade for instance is a HUGE cue towards him being an assassin, despite any inconsistent personality traits he doesn't share with previous assassins, which could be chalked up to simply differences in personality, he could have just been a hard-edged assassin. The visual cues blended aspects of both Templars and Assassins, though a bit more of Templars.
Twist worked on me, but I can see why it could go either way. Maybe not the greatest twist because it didn't fool everyone but still.

ekim

Despite the known flaws the visuals are nothing short but amazing, especially at daylight. On my 3D TV my jaw is still constantly dropping. (The lower resolution adds a lot to the overall fidelity IMHO, cause it blurs the weak lod in the distance)
Give me that@60fps,more AA and a better drawing distance with nextgen and I'm set. :)

Stepping back and looking at it a bit more objectively, there are a lot of subtle cues in personality, story and character aesthetics that contribute to the ambiguity.
Him having a hidden blade for instance is a HUGE cue towards him being an assassin, despite any inconsistent personality traits he doesn't share with previous assassins, which could be chalked up to simply differences in personality, he could have just been a hard-edged assassin. The visual cues blended aspects of both Templars and Assassins, though a bit more of Templars.
Twist worked on me, but I can see why it could go either way. Maybe not the greatest twist because it didn't fool everyone but still.

I'll be honest, it still had me kinda fooled.
My first thought when I saw Haytham was "I bet that guy's a Templar". When he and his British cronies met, I half-expected them to say "May the father of understanding guide you" or something similar to that. But when Haytham traveled to the new world and there still had been no mention of him being a Templar I started wondering if perhaps he was an Assassin after all. It looked like he had the Assassin insignia on his gauntlets, too, but apparently he stole those off an Assassin. When he started talking about how he didn't want innocents to die I really started to doubt if he was a Templar.

But of course, then he went and proved me right anyway.

rvy

Banned
img_01501agf26.jpg

LMAO. The fuck. Seems like that's what causes the clipping in his backpack too.

ultron87

The fact that (sequence 3)
Haytham has Eagle vision was the one that got me the most. I mean there is obviously nothing that says that someone with that bloodline has to be an assassin, but it had worked out that way every time so far. Also he speaks of being trained from birth in a manner that sounds very Assassin-ey as well.

I knew there was some twist coming thanks to everyone in this thread being like "ZOMG SEQUENCE 3 TWIST" though I was expecting something like Haytham's friends being secret Templars while he was still on the "good" side.

I'm still early in the game, but if it became revealed that he was raised as an Assassin and turned traitor it would not surprise me at all.

The fact that (sequence 3)
Haytham has Eagle vision was the one that got me the most. I mean there is obviously nothing that says that someone with that bloodline has to be an assassin, but it had worked out that way every time so far. Also he speaks of being trained from birth in a manner that sounds very Assassin-ey as well.

I knew there was some twist coming thanks to everyone in this thread being like "ZOMG SEQUENCE 3 TWIST" though I was expecting something like Haytham's friends being secret Templars while he was still on the "good" side.

I'm still early in the game, but if it became revealed that he was raised as an Assassin and turned traitor it would not surprise me at all.

Check your e-mails. You're closer than you think.

ezekial45

Banned
Just one big question that'll require a yes or no answer -

Is there any TRUTH missions, like the ones in AC2, Brotherhood, and Revelations? They were all a pleasant surprise, and I'd love for another one to be in this game.

Top Bottom