• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed III |OT| Easier to read than Ratonhnhaké:ton

Muffdraul

Maybe I could go after Brotherhood or Revelations to get my AC fix instead. I've only ever played ACII and it was one of my favourite games from this gen.

Which one is considered better? And why is neither held in the same regard as ACII? I knew the answer to these questions at some point, but forgot.

*deep breath*

The grumbling first started right after AC2 when Ubisoft shamelessly announced "We have targeted our highly successful AC franchise as one that should be exploited on an annual basis!" And they announced "The AC2 Episodes Project," with the first one due out in less than a year. That was Brotherhood.

Brotherhood had a lot of cool game play additions; recruiting and deploying assassins, opening shops, kill streaks, throwing heavy weapons, etc. But instead of a nice collection of impeccably designed cities, all you got was one big gray dull one. Flat featureless walls blatantly copy/pasted everywhere. Empty outlands with a few boring ruins strewn about. The 16th century side of story was pretty inconsequential. The 2012 story was actually more relevant. All in all very meh, I thought. The awesome new gameplay was its saving grace, but there was no way I could excuse it as anything but cynical filler. I can't help but grit my teeth and ball up my fists whenever I hear someone claim "it's the best AC!"

Revelations kept all of Brotherhood's cool new game play stuff, and added a few new things. But the new stuff either just wasn't all that great (bombs, zip lines) or it flat out sucked (tower defense mini game.) I thought the city was arguably better than the one in Brotherhood; it was a bit smaller because there were no outlands surrounding it, but the city itself was more dense. And it was still very copy/paste, but at least the elements that were copy/pasted were far more ornate and complex than the bland gray city in Brotherhood. Again the story didn't seem to move forward much. I thought it was close to being as good as Brotherhood... but nah.

IMO they were still well worth playing just because the game play stuff was so fun. But as a whole package, I found them far less satisfying than AC2. Pretty stoked to finally have a true bona fide sequel in my hands after three years.

Sai-kun

Banned
Just one big question that'll require a yes or no answer -

Is there any TRUTH missions, like the ones in AC2, Brotherhood, and Revelations? They were all a pleasant surprise, and I'd love for another one to be in this game.

In my time just playing straight through the game, no.

Kjellson

Two questions:

Are there any tombs like in the Ezio trilogy?

Is there a renovation side quest like Monteriggioni and Borgia Rome?

Two questions:

Are there any tombs like in the Ezio trilogy?

Is there a renovation side quest like Monteriggioni and Borgia Rome?

Kinda... the closest thing is the Peg Leg missions. Also there is refinements to your house and the homestead area.

Dumb question - how in the world do I check my emails? I keep seeing that I have new ones all the time and have no clue what to do about it

Yes this has been posted alot recently. Terminal on the right, when you exit the animus.

Socreges

Banned
Thanks for the replies re: Revelations/Brotherhood, guys. Remembering now why I wasn't interested. I think I'll continue skipping them. Not because I don't think they're worth playing, but because I've only got so much time to play games and I'd rather spend it elsewhere.

It's sad that UbiSoft is so bottom-line driven. They pumped out two ACII spin-offs and now it sure seems like their 'true' sequel was rushed to stores. They've probably made very good money in the process, but speaking for myself it's turned me off the series altogether.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
It's sad that UbiSoft is so bottom-line driven. They pumped out two ACII spin-offs and now it sure seems like their 'true' sequel was rushed to stores. They've probably made very good money in the process, but speaking for myself it's turned me off the series altogether.

Well for me I'd love to get a new AC game every year in the future. I thought Brotherhood was great (my favorite of the series), and Revelations, while lacking in true innovation, was still good enough to pay full price for it. Bring on a game next year I say, but hopefully with another character since I didn't like Connor that much.

Petrie

Banned
Can anyone tell me how the heck to get the peg leg trinket that is all the way on the left side of the map in the davenport homestead? I can't for the life of me find a way up that cliffside.

Dantis

At what point does this game get good? I'd heard the opening was a slow burn, but I'm like two and a half hours in, still not playing as Connor and bored out of my fucking mind.

So disappointed right now. :(

SJRB

Gold Member
Finally reached the point where the game "sets me free", so to speak. It took me
6 hours
which was way, WAY too long. I can understand why they did it from a narrative point of view and it works, but still. This should probably have been handled differently.

First three sequences were an utter snoozefest and left a pretty bad taste in my mouth. The fourth sequence was amazing for numerous reasons [
hunting, setting traps, treeclimbing
] not to mention the drastic increase in graphic fidelity. So vibrant and colorful.
Game takes another nosedive with the fifth sequence,
showing the suit and still have you run around for 2 hours doing nothing really until you finally can put it on and become the assassin was the ultimate cocktease.

Naval mission was cool [to my own surprise] and didn't overwelcomed its stay - it was short, to the point and looked cool.

I have to admit though that The Frontier is where this game shines. The animations are out of this world, especially for the tree-running. Amazing. As bad as every Boston segment has been with its glitches and afwul jank at every corner, as great is the Frontier. I already know where I will be spending most of my time. Hearing the drums beat in the distance, quickly climb a tree and just watch this convoy pass by while you observe from the tree feels badass as hell.

Game is extremely overwhelming though, it unloads a truckload of game elements in the fifth sequence. Especially the stock book with the purchasing and selling of goods and the whole Homestead management system seemed extremely complex from the tutorial part.

I'm glad the game did a 180 on me, because I wasn't feeling it at all to be honest.

Socreges

Banned
Well for me I'd love to get a new AC game every year in the future. I thought Brotherhood was great (my favorite of the series), and Revelations, while lacking in true innovation, was still good enough to pay full price for it. Bring on a game next year I say, but hopefully with another character since I didn't like Connor that much.
What did you think about the city/environment design in Brotherhood?

Blimblim

The Inside Track
What did you think about the city/environment design in Brotherhood?
Well as expected, nothing much to the cities since they are basically more like overgrown villages than actual cities like in the previous AC games.
The frontier/homestead though are great, a real change from the previous games, and a good change at that.
Here to hoping for a mix of a great city and also some great nature element in the next AC game :)

one_kill

Why can't I play multiplayer? I'm so sick of this limited mode shit. I've registered and verified a uPlay account and it seems to be associated with my PSN ID (I can log in the uPlay hub), but I can't log in.

Are the Australian servers for this game not up? Is it tied to the storm in the US? What's going on?

Im kind of the opposite.

It makes my wait for the Wii U version easier too, but I expect ultimately more enjoyable thanks to my now lowered expectations.

I almost moved my Wii U credit over to a Halo edition 360 for this, Halo 4 and Forza but then Iwata laughed and then I laughed.

7he Talon

Anyone else think that heavy weapons look ridiculous when sheathed? Is there any way to get rid of them? (Currently have a heavy axe)

Orcastar

Got my copy today and played to the end of sequence 3 in one sitting.
Dat tweest!

A question about Washington's journal, the one that came with the specia editions: Am I actually supposed to physically cut some of the pages open? Dunno what to think about that... The coin and the leather pouch it came in are pretty cool though.

rvy

Banned
The Desmond sections are wasted potential. I would love to see much more effort put into them. Everything looks rushed. It's a shame because they could be amazing.

Phionoxx

Just one big question that'll require a yes or no answer -

Is there any TRUTH missions, like the ones in AC2, Brotherhood, and Revelations? They were all a pleasant surprise, and I'd love for another one to be in this game.

Didn't Revelations take these out? I remember them for sure in AC2 and ACB, but not ACR.

I miss them too, I guess they were not very popular overall though for the majority of players. I would kinda get freaked out by some of the music / tape recordings, and pictures. I know the truth puzzles were a big source of the "silly, sci-fi" aspects of the story, but they were certainly interesting.

Top Bottom