• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed III |OT| Easier to read than Ratonhnhaké:ton

Muffdraul

A few days ago I was in here bitching about the news that AC3 follows Revelations lead in ditching the whole puppeteering control concept that was used in all of the previous ACs. Well, yesterday as I was playing the game for myself I read the email from Rebecca where she lists all of her Animus upgrades she did after Brotherhood, and she said straight out that she decided to do away with the puppeteering. That was all it took for me to buy into it.

stufte

It doesn't happen until the sperm enters the egg. Before then it's just a sperm, half of a persons DNA.

If the sperm is all we needed then why did we still see Altair when the sperm was already inside his nuts? Why wasn't I seeing the events unfold through his balls if the sperm is the deciding factor.

This entire conversation reminds me of a conversation from:

600full-mallrats-photo.jpg

I really enjoyed the first six to eight hours. It didn't feel slow or boring. The story is fantastic so far. I could care less about the overarching storyline, though. Get out Desmond and give me Ezio or Connor. The naval battles are the best part of the game hands down. There's nothing like it.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
True but I don't see how we have a very solid basis for this to know exactly when we stop seeing the memories in the animus or not. Just because I eat tootsie pops in three licks doesn't mean if the next one takes 4 it destroys my tootsie pop eating consistency. Ok... that was a big silly... but still! :D

Alright let's use what we know to solve the inconsistency. So we know that we stop viewing things as a certain ancestor once they pass on their genetic information to the child - and this is done via sex. Yes? Yes. Inside our genetic information houses memories of the ancestors which is obviously explained. Now, riddle me this. If a person's genetic information, which contains the ancestor's memories mind you, is passed onto the child through a woman through sex why are we seeing Haytham's memories afterwards. That information shouldn't exist at all considering Haytham hasn't experience that aspect of his life yet but the genetic information, which housed all of his previous memory, is already passed on. This is why I'm saying the explanation that the other guy posted doesn't work. It's not a matter of how conception works. The memory doesn't exist AT ALL in the genetic information passed. It's not a matter of you get to play as Haytham until the egg and the sperm fertilizes.

So 2 possibilities, there truly is an inconcsistency between the Maria/Altair and Ziio/Haytham event or Haytham went back and had sex with Ziio again and that's when Connor was conceived.

So 2 possibilities, there truly is an inconcsistency between the Maria/Altair and Ziio/Haytham event or Haytham went back and had sex with Ziio again and that's when Connor was conceived.

Well couldn't that be implied?
I didn't think they actually had sex then and there in the cave. I assumed that scene itself was showcasing the spark of emotions between them and that indeed Connor was concieved at a later date

I don't think that hard to imagine right?

ultron87

In some DB entry or chapter summary it says (Sequence 3)
Ziio severed all contact with Haytham after she learned what he and his comrades truly wre. Since he didn't reveal that in the scene we saw one can assume he saw her again at some point.

Ziio severed all contact with Haytham after she learned what he and his comrades truly wre. Since he didn't reveal that in the scene we saw one can assume he saw her again at some point.

DEDUCTION MY BOY! ULTRON CRACKED THE CASE! :D

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Well couldn't that be implied?
I didn't think they actually had sex then and there in the cave. I assumed that scene itself was showcasing the spark of emotions between them and that indeed Connor was concieved at a later date

I don't think that hard to imagine right?

There was a cutscene that was removed and stuff. Honestly, I find it to be a jumbling mess so I don't know what to make of it.

Yeah, that one also spoiled me on the twist. :lol

Not that I didn't see it coming from a mile away.

bitoriginal

Having played all but Revelations, gotta say it feels like the core gameplay + controls haven't aged well at all. Really struggling to enjoy it 3 hours in. Hopefully when the game opens up I'll start feeling it.

I just can't wrap my head around this hunting mini-game. Who in their right mind could've thought that would be a good idea? Seriously, they must've just phoned that in at the last minute or something, it's so bad it tarnishes all the rest.

I'm loving the hunting stuff. That is actually where I have been spending most of my time right now. What is your big problem with it? Maybe you should try locating the Hunting Cabin's in the frontier if you haven't already. They give you specific locations to go and take out certain animals.

CrazyDude

Alright let's use what we know to solve the inconsistency. So we know that we stop viewing things as a certain ancestor once they pass on their genetic information to the child - and this is done via sex. Yes? Yes. Inside our genetic information houses memories of the ancestors which is obviously explained. Now, riddle me this. If a person's genetic information, which contains the ancestor's memories mind you, is passed onto the child through a woman through sex why are we seeing Haytham's memories afterwards. That information shouldn't exist at all considering Haytham hasn't experience that aspect of his life yet but the genetic information, which housed all of his previous memory, is already passed on. This is why I'm saying the explanation that the other guy posted doesn't work. It's not a matter of how conception works. The memory doesn't exist AT ALL in the genetic information passed. It's not a matter of you get to play as Haytham until the egg and the sperm fertilizes.

Came to this realization on my way home. :p

I'm loving the hunting stuff. That is actually where I have been spending most of my time right now. What is your big problem with it? Maybe you should try locating the Hunting Cabin's in the frontier if you haven't already. They give you specific locations to go and take out certain animals.

The QTE's. The hunting itself is fine, but the goddamn QTE's are murdering me.

Haven't found one of these and alot of time under my belt. WTH are they!?

The Lamp

Well, sucks to be you, then. It's only the first five minutes, I'm sorry you got spoiled on that. Hope you haven't been paying too much attention to the rest of the thread.

I'm sorry, spoiling the main character
as being the offspring of a character you're playing as through in parts of the game, because of some cave sex scene with an Indian
isn't public domain for people who aren't playing the game, whether it's in the first five minutes or not. If you want to talk about plot specifics like that, go to the spoiler thread or properly use spoiler tags.

I'm sorry, spoiling the main character
as being the offspring of a character you're playing as through in parts of the game, because of some cave sex scene with an Indian
isn't public domain for people who aren't playing the game. If you want to talk about plot specifics like that, go to the spoiler thread or properly use spoiler tags.

The spoiler thread is mainly there for people who've finished the game, though. I've put mine in spoilers and apologized, but as you can see, it's out there. Be grateful it's only that small, insignificant part being spoiled, they could be saying a lot more.

Haven't found one of these and alot of time under my belt. WTH are they!?

Yeah, it took me so fucking long to finally find it. If you fast travel to Conner's village, just head west, its a log cabin at the bottom of a hill.

I'm at work. If someone wanted to take a pic of the map with their cellphone I could then circle where it is. It is a bitch to find.

The QTE's.

Oh yeah the QTEs are pretty dumb. I make it a point to sneak up on the bigger animals and shoot them with the bow instead, or hang on a branch and throw some bait down so they get close for an air kill.

Petrichor

Also, the ending isn't as bad as Mass Effect 3's, whoever said that. It clears up the plot of the last three games but introduces new storylines for possible future titles.

How do you open emails?

Quit to the Animus, there's a laptop that says "(B) to interact" when you're nearby. You have to time it properly though, if one of your friends is too close it will prioritize talking to them over loading the email display.

Also, bizarrely new emails are always on the bottom

Yeah that the general progress. Gets even better with adult Connor imo.

Is this the only one? And what exactly do they do? :D Thanks in advance.

I only found the one, but am assuming there are more because it said "cabins" in the objective. You pretty much go there, talk to a hunter, he tells you about some animal that needs killing. Go kill it. Then return. Rinse and repeat. I'm thinking that completing the club missions with result in some outfit unlock.(i hope all those empty hangers aren't just for the preorder bonuses). lol.

Nice. That's kind of what I was expecting. Tree-running is awesome.

I'll be honest, I really questioned the quality of the game during the "first" segments. Once I hit where your at, I felt things changed for me immensly. I even mentioned that in my video review. At one point I even said to myself " Were
Connors father missions done by a different team then his?"
Things just felt off to me at the start. Not sure if I just got adjusted to the "jank" or what.

I only found the one, but am assuming there are more because it said "cabins" in the objective. You pretty much go there, talk to a hunter, he tells you about some animal that needs killing. Go kill it. Then return. Rinse and repeat. I'm thinking that completing the club missions with result in some outfit unlock.(i hope all those empty hangers aren't just for the preorder bonuses). lol.

Really suprised they just didn't mark those on the map like everything else. Will have to check it out! :D

-Amon-

The fuck, we're at day one and you guys are going spoiler free like there is no tomorrow.

Open a dedicated thread and discuss story topics there wtf.

For fuck's sake, this game's combat is a fucking mess. They tried to make something that feels real and failed horribly. Often when I'm blocking I'll press the 'counter' button and end up charging away from combat instead, or pick up a weapon dropped by a fallen foe.

And don't get me started on those new 'heavy' type enemies, I don't have any idea how you take those fuckers down. You can't break their defenses, you can't counter 'em, you can't do anything.

exYle

For fuck's sake, this game's combat is a fucking mess. They tried to make something that feels real and failed horribly. Often when I'm blocking I'll press the 'counter' button and end up charging away from combat instead, or pick up a weapon dropped by a fallen foe.

And don't get me started on those new 'heavy' type enemies, I don't have any idea how you take those fuckers down. You can't break their defenses, you can't counter 'em, you can't do anything.

Disarm them and go to town

Disarm them and go to town

They punch me in the face. :(

I just had to take out an entire fort filled with these dudes. They'll gang up on you with ten at a time. Ezio would've killed them all in five seconds, but with Connor, damn man. Every time you get a chain going, the camera pops behind a wall and you're blind, or a captain steps in and punches you in the nose. And often even parrying doesn't work right.

I dunno, either I'm completely missing the way the system works, or it really sucks.

exYle

They punch me in the face. :(

I just had to take out an entire fort filled with these dudes. They'll gang up on you with ten at a time. Ezio would've killed them all in five seconds, but with Connor, damn man. Every time you get a chain going, the camera pops behind a wall and you're blind, or a captain steps in and punches you in the nose. And often even parrying doesn't work right.

I dunno, either I'm completely missing the way the system works, or it really sucks.

Are you getting the combos right?
B + X is counter-kill, which doesn't work. B + A is disarm. I'm not sure if B + B (throw) will work, but B + Y should.

Alternatively, try stunning them with just A.

Are you getting the combos right?
B + X is counter-kill, which doesn't work. B + A is disarm. I'm not sure if B + B (throw) will work, but B + Y should.

Alternatively, try stunning them with just A.

What's B + Y?

I've tried disarming them, but it never seemed to work. Maybe I just got unlucky. I'll keep it in mind next time I encounter a patrol.

ultron87

I love how when you sneak up behind some guards you can just hold X and your guy will hidden blade as many as possible in a stealthy manner before they notice.

And doing an aerial assassination with a bayonet is so brutal.

exYle

What's B + Y?

I've tried disarming them, but it never seemed to work. Maybe I just got unlucky. I'll keep it in mind next time I encounter a patrol.

It'll use your tool. Admittedly I've never tried using it with anything other than a pistol, but it's a good combo.

It'll use your tool. Admittedly I've never tried using it with anything other than a pistol, but it's a good combo.

I'll keep it in mind.

Just found a good place to train, managed to take out an Officer the way you said I should. The kilt guys are still giving me trouble, though.

Dantis

Just started this up. When you recount the story from the series, you realise how awful it is.

Easily amongst the worst game stories (As far as games that take their story seriously) out there.

Tree climbing's all well and good until you have to climb one of those big viewpoint trees. I seriously can't reach the top here, Connor keeps grabbing the wrong thing (or nothing at all) and falling down.

Top Bottom