• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed III |OT| Easier to read than Ratonhnhaké:ton

ekim

a lockpick mini game for chests....

Kornheiser_Why.JPG

Yeah. It doesn't work for me at all. I guess you need the keys?

Am in Sequence 5. My thoughts so far:

-Tree climbing is so much fun
-Both cities and wilderness look beautiful
-Hunting is kind of cool I guess
-I like Connor so far
-Combat is garbage, even compared to past games
-As usual, getting around the city is frustrating as fuck because there are spaces you can't cross between buildings, guys on rooftops that you either have to kill or go ten minutes to get around, etc.
-How the fuck are there so many glitches? Enemies and NPCs getting stuck EVERYWHERE

Overall, I'm really disappointed. The jump between ACI and II was so great I think everyone was expecting the same from II to III. If Bhood and Revelations hadn't come between, I might have been more willing to forgive the lack of interesting new things and general jank, but I'm getting really sick of putting up with this crap in these games, especially considering how many people are working on them.

This doesn't feel like anymore of a sequel than Brotherhood was so far. I'd reserve judgment until I was further, but comments in this thread suggest it doesn't get much better than this. It just seems clear to me that becoming a yearly franchise is quickly killing AC, so I don't think I'm going to be buying future installments.

hatchx

Banned
This thread = me not buying AC3.

What is the general feeling of the new combat? I was not a fan of it in AC1 or AC2, and I know it has been changed.

Locating all the fast travel entrances in [location spoiler?]
Boston Underground
is really fun, I'm really digging this game so far. Combat's easier than it's ever been (counter, stab, repeat), and I kinda like the lock picking. I think for chests you have to really mash the RT.

Not a big fan of having to uncover areas even after finding Synch Points.

Petrichor

This thread = me not buying AC3.

What is the general feeling of the new combat? I was not a fan of it in AC1 or AC2, and I know it has been changed.

I thought the combat in AC2 and AC:B was fun enough - and don't like the combat in AC3 as much, but it's very similar.

Also I really miss being able to upgrade your health meter and all of the little RPG elements from previous games. I feel like the conor that I finished the game with was exactly the same as the conor you start out with, with no progression at all in terms of his capabilities.

I thought the combat in AC2 and AC:B was fun enough - and don't like the combat in AC3 as much, but it's very similar.

Also I really miss being able to upgrade your health meter and all of the little RPG elements from previous games. I feel like the conor that I finished the game with was exactly the same as the conor you start out with, with no progression at all in terms of his capabilities.

I miss that, too. You can't buy any armor for him, either. I guess it makes sense, considering the timeline, but I still kinda miss it.

iNvid02

did not see the early twist coming, the trophy popping up right afterwards made it awesome.

wandered around as desmond as well, 'twas interesting

I'm mostly avoiding the thread for spoilers and such, but I needed to pop in and say you should all be reading the Animus entries for people, events and such, they're fairly amusing.

did not see the early twist coming, the trophy popping up right afterwards made it awesome.

wandered around as desmond as well, 'twas interesting

I thought you were going to wait for the PC version? :lol

I'm mostly avoiding the thread for spoilers and such, but I needed to pop in and say you should all be reading the Animus entries for people, events and such, they're fairly amusing.

Yeah, I love how bitter Shaun is about the whole 'Revolution' thing. So much sarcasm.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=43762303&postcount=2001

i couldn't wait, looks pretty good at times but performance is all over the place and really distracting for me.

im gonna play until i can do the benedict arnold stuff, hop into multiplayer for a bit, and carry on with PC.

kurhrqkmhk.gif

Just kidding, I probably would've had trouble, too.

Agreed, it's just a weird game. Really fun sometimes, but it can quickly turn into something incredibly frustrating.

I really like this game. An interesting setting, lots of neat details (petting animals <3) and my favorite must be the spoken language in the game. Lots of different dialects, interesting choices of words etc.

Sai-kun

Banned

I'm gonna second this EXCEPT for reading Kaniehti:io's file. Reading Kaniehti:io's file will ruin Sequence 3 for you. Wait till you beat it.

http://i.imgur.com/RWaKj.gif[IMG]

aww man, i cant play another 6 sequences like this.

i should probably stop playing and youtube it later[/QUOTE]

You bought it, right? Just beat it and then replay it when the PC version comes out. Hopefully, it means you'll be able to appreciate the improvements even more.

iNvid02

You bought it, right? Just beat it and then replay it when the PC version comes out. Hopefully, it means you'll be able to appreciate the improvements even more.

yeah from amazon. i'll see how it goes, might just storm through the story and do a complete playthrough on PC.

Bumhead

Banned
I'm on Sequence 2 at the moment.

Really enjoying the game so far. It's slow going but I've been quite happy to sit through the journey while the game does it's thing, and get to grips with the actual game when it wants me to. Particularly impressed with the overall presentation and character of the game so far.

I suspect I'm going to enjoy this. Not having played ANY Assassins Creed since somewhere around the middle of the first game probably helps, but this feels great to me so far.

Some of the tutorial prompts are so confusing, during sequence 2 when
you have to grab a human shield, it just says press "A", I'm pressing A and nothing happened so I got shot up lol.

Kerub

Banned
This game is finally starting to open up and I'm starting to enjoy it alot. The first couple of hours were slooow.

How do you get more recruits? I'm a fair way into the game and I still only have 1.

Not really a spoiler but don't highlight if you want to know nothing about the game.
You have to beat every Liberation Mission in the area until you get 90% Assassin influence. Then do the contract mission. It's super tedious and a really annoying aspect about the game.

7he Talon

Not really a spoiler but don't highlight if you want to know nothing about the game.
You have to beat every Liberation Mission in the area until you get 90% Assassin influence. Then do the contract mission. It's super tedious and a really annoying aspect about the game.
Ah, thanks for that. It really seems like a chore more then anything.

tha_devil

Is the performance rubbish in 3d though or has anyone tried it yet?

I played it in 3d on a 90 inch beamer screen, better than expected! Looks nice and runs as well as 2d i think. I didnt really compare if they use worse textures or anything, but i was happy with the 3d presentation.

hlhbk

So far I love the PS3 version. That being said seeing how bad the consoles are struggling to even give up 20 FPS on this game to say I can't wait to see what the PC version is like is an understatement.

SteveO409

Did you know Halo invented the FPS?
Wow I really wish I waited for the PC version. the framerate on Xbox 360 is annoying...it seems like 10-15 fps during gameplay

AndresON777

shooting blanks
I just started today is there a point in shooting the musket? It's like I rather have my pistol and sword in hand.

I love the sword and hand to hand combat, tell me the gun controls get better please.

It's like the controls got resident evil'd

But you're getting that awesome Encyclopedia edition right?! I want to hear your impressions on that! I really wanted to get it, but I waited, got indecisive and just picked it up!

Yup, I'm grabbing that one. I'll post some shots and stuff if there's actual decent new stuff.

But Goddammit Ubi, I'm never ordering from you again if you have to make me wait!

Mesoian

Sequence 3: Sabotage the Canons, steal the map. Try it 8 times the straight foreward way, get noticed everytime because anytime I hit RT, it sticks the dude to a bit of wood. Decide to try a different approach, attack the farther canon first, use the heybail as cover while the guard walks by. Everytime I dive into a hay bail, it automatically ejects me out into the guard.

FUCK YOU GAME. I'm done. That's bullshit.

CrazyDude

Sequence 3: Sabotage the Canons, steal the map. Try it 8 times the straight foreward way, get noticed everytime because anytime I hit RT, it sticks the dude to a bit of wood. Decide to try a different approach, attack the farther canon first, use the heybail as cover while the guard walks by. Everytime I dive into a hay bail, it automatically ejects me out into the guard.

Why you just choke them? Is that really that hard?

hlhbk

I did that mission in one try. Not sure what your issue is.

Eh, it isn't the game's fault that you don't understand the way detection works.

Mesoian

Eh, it isn't the game's fault that you don't understand the way detection works.

Oh no, I get it. If the game would do what I want it to, there would be no issue. But literally, I go into the hay bail, the guard starts to walk past me, I have no fingers on any buttons and the BAIL ejects me out into the guard, mission failed. WHY?!?

My god, I thought we were past these silly glitches.

Why you just choke them? Is that really that hard?

There's a secondary bonus for doing it without killing anyone.

Oh no, I get it. If the game would do what I want it to, there would be no issue. But literally, I go into the hay bail, the guard starts to walk past me, I have no fingers on any buttons and the BAIL ejects me out into the guard, mission failed. WHY?!?

But I read that choking people out doesn't count as a kill?

i admit I was getting frustrated with this too.
the game kept starting to eavesdrop when i didn't want it to. then they would start to walk away when i was trying to take care of the guards/cannons. I finally got through it by hugging the walls and taking out all the guards first then eavesdrop from the roof of the building in the center of the fort.

I have that problem too with the hay stacks. It's almost as if the sticks are way to sensitive, any slight touch and my character will jump back out.

the sequence ends if you kill anyone, that's why you have your fists equipped. your allowed to choke them out.

Top Bottom