• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed III |OT| Easier to read than Ratonhnhaké:ton

bitoriginal

Happy to report that the game starts feeling like an Assassin's Creed game from sequence 5/6 onwards.

The scale of the game is starting to impress me, however I really found the slow start to be terrible. It was a slog, and although the writing isn't terrible, the game is pretty bad at actually explaining what the hell is going on. It feels heavily cut to me, but that's just a guess. Starting to finally enjoy myself anyway.

I will give them credit for changing up the setting so much, I'm enjoying the frontier.

AB12

I haven't finished playing Revelations, about 6 hours into the game, which I played a few months ago. Started playing ACIII today, and am enjoying it, should I complete Revelations first, wondering if I am missing anything?

rvy

Banned
Happy to report that the game starts feeling like an Assassin's Creed game from sequence 5/6 onwards.

The scale of the game is starting to impress me, however I really found the slow start to be terrible. It was a slog, and although the writing isn't terrible, the game is pretty bad at actually explaining what the hell is going on. It feels heavily cut to me, but that's just a guess. Starting to finally enjoy myself anyway.

I will give them credit for changing up the setting so much, I'm enjoying the frontier.

That's what happens when you have like 30 fucking studios working on the same game. Disjointed mess that goes from great to turd.

Boogie9IGN

So I just attacked a bunch of guards to practice the counter system and correct me if I'm wrong:

R1 to enter fighting mode
Circle to counter
X to break through the defense
Then Circle or X to finally kill them?

Please tell me I'm doing this completely wrong and there's an easier way

Plissken

Up to Sequence 6, and so far I am having a good time. I really enjoyed the first naval battle as well, looking forward to doing more of them. Makes me wish someone would update Sid Meiers "Pirates!";give us an open world pirate game already!

bitoriginal

That's what happens when you have like 30 fucking studios working on the same game. Disjointed mess that goes from great to turd.

I think it really shows tbh. Some elements of the game are great but it just doesnt seem to be coherant as a whole. The non-existent stealth mechanics irk me the most, but hey it's Assassins Creed, I knew what I was getting into.

It feels like they pulled a MGS2 with this Haytham prologue. Hopefully I'll finally get to Connor's story tonight, because all of this is just a chore to get through.

VE3TRO

Formerly Gizmowned
Not enjoying this at all. Game has bugged out on me like 10 times already before I reach sequence 3.

Some of these missions in sequence 3 are a pain in the ass. I don't suppose it's possible to crouch manually? Stupid seeing him hide in bushed then walk out in the open with no care in the world to the next bush.

GAMERG0D

I've been doing a lot of them too. Are all side missions available from seq 6 on or do they stagger them?

Also are the puzzles(glyphs) back?

I think you have to unlock some. Not sure about the Glyphs.

I cannot for the life of me figure out how to change to outfits I've bought. :|

rvy

Banned
Man, if it weren't for the lack of polish, the b-studios working on it and pathetic stealth mechanics, this would be an amazing game. The Sequence 7 assassination is the best example. The level design is pretty neat, but the stealth mechanics are just wacky.

Can you only access certain parts of the Underground in Boston after certain points in the story?

I'm in sequence 6, and I've checked a map of the underground and there's no way to progress at all. Everything is a dead end or a door I can't open from my side.

Do I have to find the underground entrances on the surface now?

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Got in sequence 6 and I don't see myself progressing much for awhile...tons of stuff to do now and I love just getting lost in the frontier. Also Naval battles are MUCH better than I was expecting, it feels great to control.

I also haven't had any serious bugs beyond what I always see in AC games. I saw a horse sunked into the ground with a bunch of people staring at it, which was hilarious.

Dead

well not really...yet
So I'm in sequence 6 now. How do I change my outfit?
You can buy outfit variations at the general store.

I wish they would have stuck with specialized stores like in the AC2 games, not a fan of the all in one general store. Its more of a hassle as it takes longer to get to the one store in the city as opposed to several scattered throughout for easy access.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
How am I supposed to make money? I'm in Sequence 6 and this cart loading stuff seems hella inefficient and it seems like none of the people on my frontier are producing anything even though I have a ton of them :/

Can you only access certain parts of the Underground in Boston after certain points in the story?

I'm in sequence 6, and I've checked a map of the underground and there's no way to progress at all. Everything is a dead end or a door I can't open from my side.

Do I have to find the underground entrances on the surface now?

Search the area, there ways around those doors. The underground really does replace the tombs of the past games. And amazingly so.

Do you have the
standard outfit
by that point? can't remember exactly.

My Uplay Ezio didn't show up till I had the
prison
outfit.

Just started sequence 6 so yeah, just the standard outfit... Auugh I shouldn't have highlighted your spoiler >.>

edit: the pre-order outfit I'm supposed to have looks stupid anyway, so it's not really that big a deal

rvy

Banned
New York is nice, I seriously did not expect them to put another city in the game considering the scale of the areas they have already.
The more I play the more I think that Montreal is amazing and the other Ubi studios are bad.

Come back Patrice, we need a vision and a single studio working on this series.

JB1981

The first few sequences of this game are a very slow burn, very surprising but not necessarily bad. Certainly not for the ADD gamer

I have a question for people who bought from gamestop. Is the boxart different if you buy it there? What I mean is, does it have that stupid "Gamestop Edition" thing at the top?

If so, I might not pick up my pre-order there or just buy the limited edition..

Vire

Man, I started tonight and got to the beginning of Sequence 3...

I find myself forcing myself to try even like any part of it, but it's been INCREDIBLY disappointing so far.

The pace is absolutely dreadful, stopping for a boring cutscene every fifteen seconds to set up a story that just doesn't seem all that interesting. Where is Conner? The amount of interactivity so far has been slim to none, the game almost feels like it's on auto-play at times. "PRESS B TO HOISTER THE ROPE" and that's that...

On the technical side, it's even more disappointing. The framerate fluctuates WILDLY going from the mid forties to low twenties in a blink of an eye. Running around Boston isn't the joy it should be because of the constant chugging and pop in. It really really is detrimental to my enjoyment of the free running.

I rather have slightly worse graphics and a framerate that was consistent than this nonsense. I put in Revelations just to make sure I wasn't going crazy and the game seemed almost butter smooth by comparison.

I'm hoping and praying this game will turn around soon because my time is worth a hell of a lot more than my patience being tested.

This is by far the most low I felt about a game in 2012. What a damn shame.

Zeliard

The first few sequences of this game are a very slow burn, very surprising but not necessarily bad. Certainly not for the ADD gamer

I like the slow start. Haytham's a ruthless cat.

From a technical standpoint I set my expectations very low. It is after all a console open-world game, and performs every bit the part. The PC version should end up quite the looker however.

The game pretty much seems to be Assassin's Creed, for better and worse. Well-realized setting, inconsistent quality of characterization, clumsy plot, fluid-yet-incredibly-easy combat and platforming. That is probably going to be true of every Assassin's Creed game ever made.

Derrick01

Banned
Damn that frontier looks goooooood in sequence

JB1981 said:
Certainly not for the ADD gamer

That's being a little unfair. I'm the farthest thing from that and even I can't deny the early sequences are horrendously boring and they have the 2 most frustrating stealth missions of all time maybe.

That has nothing to do with that. Montreal is responsible for all the story and direction, not the other studios.

Its probably more with a story ambition that was above the talent of the directors.

rvy

Banned
That has nothing to do with that. Montreal is responsible for all the story and direction, not the other studios.

Its probably more with a story ambition that was above the talent of the directors.

Yeah, I'm sure that some sections being really good and some sections being awful has nothing to do with the quality of the people who worked on said sections.

Top Bottom