• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed III |OT| Easier to read than Ratonhnhaké:ton

Boogie9IGN

After a real big pain in the ass trying to setup audio on my friend's PS3 (which I borrowed for this), I have finally started playing and damn, even sequence 1 was badass!

Kerub said:
It makes me think about where the next AC game will be..

There's so many possibilities.

I was just thinking yesterday about how much I'd looooooooooooooove an AC set in Imperial China, it would be GLORIOUS

Linius

I like Haythem more than Connor also

I didn't care for him at all. The Haythem part was the worst part of the game so far. But with Connor it's all good. Connor is also way better to control in the game, his movements are more smooth than Haythem's were.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Well people have been wanting a Feudal Japan AC game since the very first game came out. I would also like to see this at some point.

Creative director said Japan gets suggested all the time, and it's boring to him. He did say he thinks India would be cool. I still say AC 3-2 will be French Revolution. It's perfect for it, and you wouldn't even have to age Connor much.

I'm terrified of them leaving historical time stuff for modern/sci fi stuff, but I'm hoping they keep at it and go backwards. I also think Imperial China would be cool.
I didn't care for him at all. The Haythem part was the worst part of the game so far. But with Connor it's all good. Connor is also way better to control in the game, his movements are more smooth than Haythem's were.

I just think he's a more interesting character.

the frontier is nice but there are forests in lots of places. The towns themselves are lackluster and probably the worst in the series I'd wager.

The problem is the series needs to see multiple historical timelines and periods imo. While the towns might not be as crowed or designed as in the previous entrie, they still offer something different yet very similar. I'm sorry as much as I love the other games the time periods and style of the games, while looked different, felt designed fairly the same and architecture is different with different cultures so in a way it makes sense it's not exaclty the same. Do I find it boring because of this? Not in the slightest and I'm having as much fun here as I have in the other games.

I'd love to see a Japan setting, or an Egypt setting. I like variation personally so the frontier and setting for AC3 makes this feel fresher to me.

Ubi needs to make a Pirates of the Carribean game.

Myself and friend were playing the naval missions and brought up the cancelled Pirates game! *sniff* :(

.GqueB.

Banned
Can't say I'm liking the game so far though I'm not very far in. I didn't play Brotherhood or revelations so I had to read up on what happened but I'm still confused. I feel like I was dropped in the middle of a story that was already happening. In the Animus, I don't understand who I am and the game is being so sketchy with it to the point that I feel like I SHOULD know. I have no connection to the character at all and I have no understanding of why I'm doing what I'm doing.

I'll keep on trucking for now but I'm definitely not liking it so far. And they keep throwing up prompts on the screen during weird points. By the time I even notice they are there it's gone and I have no idea what to do.

Pavaloo

I know I came in here posting my gripes with the game, but I am honestly just waiting for the game to let me loose and off these chains, that's when the AC games become truly fun.

Don't get me wrong though, the closer and closer I get,
meeting Achilles and seeing Haythem in town
, the better and better the game gets.

I loved this franchise more than any other game except Halo right up until the ending of Brotherhood. That made me rage like no other game has ever done. I played Revelations in the hope that it would fix what had happened. It didn't.

I'm not going to buy AC3, so can someone please give me a detailed rundown of what happens because I'm morbidly curious.

iNvid02

I loved this franchise more than any other game except Halo right up until the ending of Brotherhood. That made me rage like no other game has ever done. I played Revelations in the hope that it would fix what had happened. It didn't.

I'm not going to buy AC3, so can someone please give me a detailed rundown of what happens because I'm morbidly curious.

not in this thread, its only been out a day in some places and walls of spoilers can only end badly.

also, your 4 games in, this one puts an end to the desmond story for good, weird place to call it quits

Tex117

Banned
French Revolution would be very cool.

Running around Paris...

India would be an interesting choice. Fedual Japan...I see what the creative director is getting at...Its kinda been done.

Hmmm, Maybe something in South America? Brazil, Argentina...etc....

Ancient Greece...

Yeah...Who am I kidding...Ancient China would be rockin.

SJRB

Gold Member
I feel like I'm asking a lot of questions in this thread, not sure what that says about the game.

Anyway, where do I find trading posts or general stores or whatever? I'm somewhere in sequence 6 and I went out to hunt only to realise I don't have any arrows or snares. I also have quite a lot of tradeable items from earlier hunting missions.

There's no map indicator if any sort regarding stores in both the Frontier and Boston - am I to unlock those later in the game or something?

I feel like I'm asking a lot of questions in this thread, not sure what that says about the game.

Anyway, where do I find trading posts or general stores or whatever? I'm somewhere in sequence 6 and I went out to hunt only to realise I don't have any arrows or snares. I also have quite a lot of tradeable items from earlier hunting missions.

There's no map indicator if any sort regarding stores in both the Frontier and Boston - am I to unlock those later in the game or something?

It's an E on the map. Not sure why you aren't seeing it.

Creative director said Japan gets suggested all the time, and it's boring to him. He did say he thinks India would be cool. I still say AC 3-2 will be French Revolution. It's perfect for it, and you wouldn't even have to age Connor much.

I'm terrified of them leaving historical time stuff for modern/sci fi stuff, but I'm hoping they keep at it and go backwards. I also think Imperial China would be cool.

I just think he's a more interesting character.

I know, but Tenchu is dead :(

Jb

There are carts wandering around the cities, the £ symbol on your map.

Dead

well not really...yet
Hmmm, left the animus during sequence 5 and while exploring the cave with Desmond found a cutscene with Juno

Also, Shawn has some background info on Haytham and his assassin lineage.

Worth checking out if you don't ever leave the animus...

Connor taking part in the French Revolution would be super neat
Then maybe toooldforthisshit Connor in the War of 1812

Then I want steampunk victorian england assassins creed

Petrichor

END-GAME SPOILERS, DON'T HIGHLIGHT UNLESS YOU WANT TO KNOW THE ENTIRE PLOT.

Desmond and co. use the apple to enter the temple which the first civilisation was using to create solutions to the apocalypse, but it isn't operational. They need an ancient key.

Juno (a member of the first civilisation) guides desmond (via the animus) through the life of a man called haytham, who comes into possession of the key before travelling to america to open the temple. He recruits a native american woman to help him find the temple, but he can't access it because he doesn't have a piece of eden. Haytham is later revealed to be a templar.

Haytham and the native american woman have a child named conor. When he is still a child he encounters one of haytham's associates, charles lee whilst playing hide and seek with his friends. Upon his return to the village he finds it in flames, in which his mother dies.

Some time later, the elder of another native american tribe randomly decides to show him her piece of eden, causing conor to have a hallucination in which juno tells him to seek out the assassin's. The only assassin left in the colonies trains him up, and he swears an oath to kill the colonial templars, including charles lee (whom he holds responsible for the death of his mother) and his father.

He systematically despatches members of the templar order, whilst supporting the colonials in their endeavours (as the templars appear to be aiding the loyalists). Eventually he meets with haytham and non-nonsensically agrees to work together with him to take out a lesser member of the templar order who has gone rogue. Haytham reveals that he in fact supports the revolution, and that george washington was responsible for burning conor's village and killing his mother. Nevertheless, despite not having any reason to, conor continues to aid the revolutionaries and eventually murders charles lee (after killing his father for no particular reason), taking the temple key from him.

Desmond wakes up and opens the temple. Juno appears and tells him that he need only touch a device to save the world. Minerva shows up and tells desmond that it's a trap, and that doing so will release juno upon the world. Desmond ignores minerva and touches the device anyway, dying in the process and releasing juno - who mollifies the cataclysm but clearly has ulterior motives of her own.

The end

FStop7

Banned
If you didn't see the
sequence 3 plot twist coming, then my goodness, there is no hope for you! The fact they never, not once mentioned the assiassins, kept saying "order", read the animus about Conner's mother saying she consorted with a known Templar...then mentions Haytham...it was very..very obvious....I still liked it though...

They should have revealed it much earlier. At the end of sequence one, immediately after you kill Mills and evade the pursuing ship by entering the storm. That was the perfect moment - you, the player, would be so proud of having killed your attacker and sunk the enemy ship that was chasing you down and then, boom, you realize that you're a Templar and that you actually killed a bunch of Assassins. Welcome to the New World. By the end of sequence three it's so obvious. Everyone you consort with behaves like a Templar and it's obvious that you are one, too.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
When you pick up one of the random moving pivot points unlocked after you do the epilogue missions it unlocks the force season
animus hack

I see. Well I guess I won't be able to do this then since I'm playing the game on my debug and the xbox live stuff doesn't work. Thanks for the reply though :)

JB1981

Early days for me but this game is weird so far.
So far it has been nothing but tightly scripted, self-contained tutorial sections followed by cinematics. There is no tearing so that is a plus but the gun controls are weird and I can't tell when I have more ammo or not. Hate to say it but I don't think this setting can do an AC game justice ... Hope the further I get into the game I am proven wrong

Do they also travel the Frontier, Fallout-style? I have yet to encounter one. And aren't there any regular stores?

1. Yes. They always seem to be on my map, even if it's hella far away
2. Yes, there are a variety of general stores (unless I'm wrong no "specific" stores like in AC2, just general stores...)

Blimblim

The Inside Track
Connor taking part in the French Revolution would be super neat
Then maybe toooldforthisshit Connor in the War of 1812

Then I want steampunk victorian england assassins creed

Lafayette
tells Connor he should come to France at one point in the game, so you never know.
Consideing I'm no fan of Connor, I'm not sure I'd like to have him jump around Paris though :/

FStop7

Banned
When you pick up one of the random moving pivot points unlocked after you do the epilogue missions it unlocks the force season
animus hack

French Revolution. Connor boards a ship with the Marquis.

All I want for it is to be set against the backdrop of warring England and France, with Templars and Assassins moving between Paris and London doing espionage for both sides while skirmishing against each other to recover pieces of Eden. Give me that. Give it. For bonus points throw in the Spanish Empire for awesome naval battles. The Battle of Trafalgar, specifically.

Jb

All I want for it is to be set against the backdrop of warring England and France, with Templars and Assassins moving between Paris and London doing espionage for both sides while skirmishing against each other to recover pieces of Eden. Give me that. Give it.
Napoleonic wars then? Tons of naval battles.

Tex117

Banned
They should have revealed it much earlier. At the end of sequence one, immediately after you kill Mills and evade the pursuing ship by entering the storm. That was the perfect moment - you, the player, would be so proud of having killed your attacker and sunk the enemy ship that was chasing you down and then, boom, you realize that you're a Templar and that you actually killed a bunch of Assassins. Welcome to the New World. By the end of sequence three it's so obvious. Everyone you consort with behaves like a Templar and it's obvious that you are one, too.

Damn that would have been perfect! A perfect set up. The only thing I can think of (and I hope Im not over analyzing this...its a video game...just go along for the ride) is that they wanted you to understand haytham...in other words...there will be the Conner/Haytham conflict somewhere in the game. In that regards, I can see it being necessary to spend more time with Haytham to get a connection with him...feel the conflict a bit more...If they dont...the whole plot device was two sequences too long.

Zeliard

Picked it up from Redbox, let's see what this sumbitch is about.

I looked at some story recap on Youtube for a refresher. Holy convoluted story Batman.

Derrick01

Banned
Man the stealth really is unbelievably terrible. I must have failed that mandatory no sight mission about 10 times thanks to the clunkiness.

I'm so sick of gameplay dialogue being cut off by a cutscene starting. Ugh

fuck, this shit STILL happens? it's infuriating and should never happen. how hard is it to program a cutscene so that it doesn't start until dialogue has stopped?!

Input lag + jank + enemy detection = What is this, I don't even...

:((((((((

i'm just about to start playing the game, and goddamn GAF.. way to bring my hopes down. oh well, as long as the atmosphere is good and there's some pretty scenery, i'll be ok i think...

Man the stealth really is unbelievably terrible. I must have failed that mandatory no sight mission about 10 times thanks to the clunkiness.

Whistling while hiding around a corner and the bow are you friend for stealth missions. Unless you are talking about the mission towards the beginning when you go to the first fort?

Derrick01

Banned
Whistling while hiding around a corner and the bow are you friend for stealth missions. Unless you are talking about the mission towards the beginning when you go to the first fort?

That's one of the clunkier aspects to it. Leaning on a wall should have been a dedicated button.

haha

"how do you like them apples?"

Saw that coming a mile away but the trophy pop up got a smile out of me.

Not since Portal 2 have I seen such masterful use of achievement pop ups.

Yeah the game is a little chuggy at times and I am not feeling the controls yet. Its been a while since I played any AC game so hopefully I will get use to it with time.

At some point is there a equivalent to the brotherhood mechanics of sending people out on missions and having a group you can call on to jump out of the sky and murder fools?

meta4

Wow in the 6th Sequence right now and while some of the gameplay mechanics has potential on the whole this game is pretty terrible. The combat system is so bad. If I were the developer behind this system I would be effing ashamed to show this to anyone in 2012. Downright horrendous. The story is an absolute snooze fest. For all the end of the world nonsense which has been forecast in the previous titles the pacing is so lethargic. This worked for RDR but not for this IMO. The main missions are an absolute snooze fest and where the da hell are the so called Assassination missions. This game should not be getting anything more than a 6 IMO. Terrible......absolutely terrible.

Petrichor

Wow in the 6th Sequence right now and while some of the gameplay mechanics has potential on the whole this game is pretty terrible. The combat system is so bad. If I were the developer behind this system I would be effing ashamed to show this to anyone in 2012. Downright horrendous. The story is an absolute snooze fest. For all the end of the world nonsense which has been forecast in the previous titles the pacing is so lethargic. This worked for RDR but not for this IMO. The main missions are an absolute snooze fest and where the da hell are the so called Assassination missions. This game should not be getting anything more than a 6 IMO. Terrible......absolutely terrible.

There aren't as many assassinations as AC1 or AC2 but there are a couple, be patient.

So I saw something awesome while exploring the frontier: two elk bucks fighting. That's insane detail and very cool to watch. Also, the faces in this game are so beautiful. I'm really enjoying the game, but it could have used some more polish. The tomahawk is so satisfying to use.

BUT:
Boston is very boring to traverse. I also find it frustrating when I'm being chased through Boston and I just keep attracting soldiers to the chase. In the first mission that makes you run from the red coats through Boston, it took me twenty minutes or so to lose the mob of soldiers chasing me. I would try to hide in a well or hay stack and the game would force me out the other side or I would run into more soldiers.

I sold off my multiplayer disc and my preorder bonus will sell tomorrow. I got the game for free after selling off both of those things because of BB's B2G1. Awesome.

Halcyon

Whoever designed this chase sequence is a fuck and I hope they die irl.

I might stop playing this game because of it.

Top Bottom