• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed III |OT| Easier to read than Ratonhnhaké:ton

Circle as the counter button is so annoying, it takes a lot longer than pressing triangle since the natural position is to hover over the square button.

I can't break the habit of holding R1+X to free run. Too bad they removed that from the multiplayer too.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Damn that frontier looks goooooood in sequence

That's being a little unfair. I'm the farthest thing from that and even I can't deny the early sequences are horrendously boring and they have the 2 most frustrating stealth missions of all time maybe.

What are the early stealth segments people are struggling with here? AC is really not good at handling instant fail on sight sequences, but the ones I've done have had a pretty obvious path to go through.

_woLf

So far I've had my camera glitch up multiple times, this happen (spoilers:
in the bar fight with the native american lady watching, this redcoat got pushed behind the onlookers, impossible to hit: http://i.imgur.com/nW9Xr.jpg)...along with the general bugs and issues with controls.

The game feels unfinished to me, thus far. Not necessarily in content, but definitely in polish -- it's obvious that this could have used another month or so in the oven just to polish it to the level that previous AC games (sans AC 1).

It also seems like they took a huge step backwards when it comes to controls, particularly combat and guns. I understand guns are supposed to be more realistic, but it just feels weird. I didn't like AC 1 because of various mechanics that made me frustrated, where as AC2-revelations were fun and easier to pick up. I'm getting the AC1 vibes again from what I've played of AC 3. Hopefully that goes away soon....

FStop7

Banned
I haven't finished playing Revelations, about 6 hours into the game, which I played a few months ago. Started playing ACIII today, and am enjoying it, should I complete Revelations first, wondering if I am missing anything?

The ending of Revelations (the last 20 minutes or so) is pretty moving if the characters of Ezio and Altair matter to you. Otherwise, you're not missing anything.

Defending convoys is a pain in the ass. Do you eventually get something that makes them less likely to be attacked and will it be obvious when/how I get it?

Derrick01

Banned
What are the early stealth segments people are struggling with here? AC is really not good at handling instant fail on sight sequences, but the ones I've done have had a pretty obvious path to go through.

It's not so much not seeing a path it's more like the controls getting tangled up on ledges and getting spotted, or moving between places and the 2 AI guys you have to follow bump into each other and it makes them turn around. The game is just not smooth enough to incorporate these types of instant fail missions.

Sai-kun

Banned
So, is online on 360 working for anyone? I tried to play about 3 hours ago and Ubi's shit servers were down, and now the game just fucking freezes my box when I try to get online. Fuck you, Ubi.

meta4

Yup the camera issues while fighting in the interior enivironments is seriously glaring. Sometimes the camera zooms to Connor's head and you cant see who it is you are hitting and the camera gets stuck. One good thing though - Any site which gave this a 100 can safely be blacklisted. I mean you can def have fun with the game but no one with a straight face can tell me this is a perfect game. Also riding the horse in the frontier is an insult to the senses after playing games like RDR.

jfkgoblue

how do you even make money in this game? I'm on sequence 5 and still only have 23₤...

also FUCK autofail if detected stealth missions, nothing more frustrating than having to do all over 10 mins of sneaking because some asshole saw you for 2 seconds before he was poked full of holes...

but overall after the long tutorial the game feels like AC2 on(with a much more interesting story IMO) and the frontier is really great, those huge cliffs and tree climbing make up for the lack of super tall building like in revelations

I finally found a hunters lodge, yes!!

I'm really starting to get the hang of combat and honestly, my favorite of the series. Countering, disarming, then chaining kills is so satisfying. Breaking defense as well, which I'm using more and more.

Zeliard

The hell? I have no idea how to fight in this game. It feels so weird. I can't chain kills or guard properly.

I'm finding it overly easy, which is bothersome. I don't understand why they have to make the protags in these games such unstoppable killing machines.

Make them killing machines, fine, but give me at least the possibility of taking good damage. Ever since they introduced the kill streak stuff it's just become silly. One-button chain kills on everything around you. I just leave tons of bodies in my wake, but it doesn't feel that satisfying since there's no challenge to it.

They should have had some adaptive difficulty mode, or even just traditional difficulties where the enemies can hit much harder. If they punished slip-ups like in the Batman games that would at least go some way towards alleviating the issue.

Boogie9IGN

I've never been so frustrated with a game, jesus fucking christ these stealth eavesdropping missions with their glitches are annoying as shit

Just finished a bit ago and the last half is way better than the first.
The sea/land war missions
are amazing and fun. The only memorable missions in the game for me.

Sadly everything else was repetitive in a really bad way. Too many chase/stealth missions, a big fuck you because i know those missions are going to haunt me if i go for the Platinum. This game REALLY needed a Crouch button and a proper fucking cover system.

And LOL with the boss fights....
You don't even fight the two big villains in the game. I felt no satisfaction killing Haytham or Lee. The blurry "fight" was lame and Lee's chase was HORRIBLE. Holy fuck it's bad.

As for the story, it was ok.

Conner -
story was predictable, the ending felt a little sudden. Wish they would've fleshed it out more. Had no attachment to any character including Conner. But overall it was alright. Not perfect but not horrible. Could have been better.

Desmond -
Saw that ending coming a mile away but the juno twist was unnecessary. It reminded me of the Matrix and GOW3. I honestly pictured in my mind Desmond sacrificing himself Neo style and that's EXACTLY what happened. lol
The cliffhanger was stupid. I guess Juno is a god now, but so what? Are we going to get a game fighting her? Playing as her? Not interested in any of that to be honest.

Overall i went from being disappointed to being okay. If it only had a good stealth/combat system, could've been amazing.

I stopped trying to full sync missions because it was too time consuming and eventually became frustrating. I'll try again later if I can be bothered with it.

Amir0x

Banned
man some of the shit in this game is infuriatingly buggy. gotta be the buggiest "AAA" title I've ever played

how can a 5 trillion person development team have such a horrendous QA arm seriously

there is some insane production values in this game, like off the charts, and I gotta say I was afraid walking around a recreation of Revolutionary War America would have been underutilized and I can't say that it has. The cities are boring as fuck to traverse though. The frontier/countryside is less boring than I thought it would be due to good linking of trees and such, but it's still pretty boring. That said, the set pieces are fun.

Biggest disappointment is the combat. Tons of animations, but when they were leading up I read a lot about how they made it much harder and you can actually die if you don't utilize your skills; complete B.S. It's automode garbage. It's why I never trust previews.

Zeliard

Yeah there are more annoying kill animations this time around that take away player control. Feels like the game is basically playing for you.

The fights are making me feel kinda dumb.

Ok, so to counter, you press Circle, yeah? Triangle shoots off the pistol, square is attack, but something feels way off. Chaining kills is a bitch at the moment, maybe I'm just unused to it. I used to be able to counter with ease, now I feel out of step.

Countering was shit, all i did was abuse the slow motion counter the entire game.

The system is a complete mess. Probably wasn't playing the "right" way the entire time.

I found it even more insulting a lot of people compared it to the Arkham games. Which is the best combat system ever imo.

So I'm playing this game, about 4 hours in, why am I still playing as this British asshole Kenway? Why did they advertise it for the last year as this epic journey for native American assassin Connor and then drop me in as this droll dickwad for hours? Anyway, it occurs to me that something about this game feels very inorganic. Why do I fail every mission the instant I get detected? It is the worst kind of stealth design when they arbitrarily assign the limitation of DETECT = LOSE. The combat is classic AC janky bullshit. Stand around, counter, then butcher everyone in a kill streak. They they think that by adding some fancy animations and a shitty multi-target counter (WONDER WHAT GAME THEY GOT THAT IDEA FROM) that they fixed it but they didn't. It might be worse then ever, though I'm not that far in.

On the whole, very disappointing. AC2's story worked on the strength of starting the character AND the player out as a noob assassin and letting you grow with him, both as a character and as an entity in a game world. Dropping me in for hours as a master assassin and then the inevitable Samus Aran "you lost all your powers" moment when I take over with young Connor is going to be jarring and dissatisfying, I can tell already. Why did they put me in Haytham's shoes for so fucking long? Why do I fail every mission when I try to step outside of their clearly predefined vision for how to do it? And why does the world feel so... empty? Like where the map in Revelations was fucking overflowing with shit to do, this one is completely empty, rarely even a viewpoint to climb (and certainly none that are truly recognizable buildings). What were they thinking?

meta4

man some of the shit in this game is infuriatingly buggy. gotta be the buggiest "AAA" title I've ever played

how can a 5 trillion person development team have such a horrendous QA arm seriously

there is some insane production values in this game, like off the charts, and I gotta say I was afraid walking around a recreation of Revolutionary War America would have been underutilized and I can't say that it has. The cities are boring as fuck to traverse though. The frontier/countryside is less boring than I thought it would be due to good linking of trees and such, but it's still pretty boring. That said, the set pieces are fun.

Biggest disappointment is the combat. Tons of animations, but when they were leading up I read a lot about how they made it much harder and you can actually die if you don't utilize your skills; complete B.S. It's automode garbage. It's why I never trust previews.

Not sure what the insane production values are compared to other games in the series and other open world games like RDR or GTA. They are okay. Nothing too extra-ordinary IMO.

So I'm playing this game, about 4 hours in, why am I still playing as this British asshole Kenway? Why did they advertise it for the last year as this epic journey for native American assassin Connor and then drop me in as this droll dickwad for hours? Anyway, it occurs to me that something about this game feels very inorganic. Why do I fail every mission the instant I get detected? It is the worst kind of stealth design when they arbitrarily assign the limitation of DETECT = LOSE. The combat is classic AC janky bullshit. Stand around, counter, then butcher everyone in a kill streak. They they think that by adding some fancy animations and a shitty multi-target counter (WONDER WHAT GAME THEY GOT THAT IDEA FROM) that they fixed it but they didn't. It might be worse then ever, though I'm not that far in.

On the whole, very disappointing. AC2's story worked on the strength of starting the character AND the player out as a noob assassin and letting you grow with him, both as a character and as an entity in a game world. Dropping me in for hours as a master assassin and then the inevitable Samus Aran "you lost all your powers" moment when I take over with young Connor is going to be jarring and dissatisfying, I can tell already. Why did they put me in Haytham's shoes for so fucking long? Why do I fail every mission when I try to step outside of their clearly predefined vision for how to do it? And why does the world feel so... empty? Like where the map in Revelations was fucking overflowing with shit to do, this one is completely empty, rarely even a viewpoint to climb (and certainly none that are truly recognizable buildings). What were they thinking?

Yeah nothing feels organic and flows well in this game. It is quite sad.

The fights are making me feel kinda dumb.

Ok, so to counter, you press Circle, yeah? Triangle shoots off the pistol, square is attack, but something feels way off. Chaining kills is a bitch at the moment, maybe I'm just unused to it. I used to be able to counter with ease, now I feel out of step.

I think the frame rate has to do with how janky the combat feels.

I played AC2 and Brotherhood on the PC. Felt way smoother than this.

Connor feels a lot better than Haytham though.

I think the frame rate has to do with how janky the combat feels.

I played AC2 and Brotherhood on the PC. Felt way smoother than this.

Connor feels a lot better than Haytham though.

I've only at Sequence 3, so I'm still controlling Haytham. Dude's kind of awesome (though the fighting feels funky).

Also, where's the hood? Sure, the tricorner hat is pretty swaggarefic, but not hood?

C'mon son.

iddqd

I'm normally a big believer in the overly critical GAF Hive mind but this game is really clumsy.
Its a pretty blond from the front, a somewhat decent blonde from behind and a very clumsy one as soon as you want to dance with her.

What is it about Ubisoft and not letting players do anything?

They build a world, somewhat decent mechanics and then make them so tight that doing anything else then following a certain narrow path makes you fail.
It wants to do so much, it crashes by its own weight.

It's neither a stealth game, nor a game with good combat. It's story goes deep and introduces many characters, but jumps in and out so much that you tend to loose the real connection.

I'm looking forward to some comments by the Developers, even if its obvious that they wont really talk about dirty laundry.

exYle

This post makes me chuckle in a few ways. I'll just address the main point:
Connor, pretty much right off the bat, is more acrobatically adept than Kenway and is just as combat capable. There is no Samus Aran moment here. Only thing you lose is your cash.

I've only at Sequence 3, so I'm still controlling Haytham. Dude's kind of awesome (though the fighting feels funky).

Also, where's the hood? Sure, the tricorner hat is pretty swaggarefic, but not hood?

C'mon son.

Connor's movement feels a lot more fluid. You'll feel it immediately once you get to sequence 5.

jbug617

Banned
I'm not really enjoying the game right now. I feel the movement problems that plague the series still exist. Well the game just opened up (
Just got to the frontier.
) so I hope it gets better.

This post makes me chuckle in a few ways. I'll just address the main point:
Connor, pretty much right off the bat, is more acrobatically adept than Kenway and is just as combat capable. There is no Samus Aran moment here. Only thing you lose is your cash.

That's not the main point. The main point is about starting the player out, storywise, in the middle of the life of some dude we didn't expect to control doing something for some reason? Then presumably ending that storyline halfway through the game and starting over from scratch with a new character? It's like if that opening sequence of God of War 3 lasted for 5 hours, then you fell into Hades and started all over again. Forget about the losing of powers, it's fucked up pacing and storytelling that makes no sense at all and flings me out of the experience like I'm on a fucking trebuchet.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
The database in this one sucks. Like, yes Shaun, you're british and quirky. You don't need to put in a joke about a log in the middle of the ohio river. This isn't your college comedy tour

holy shit @ the
charles lee
chase sequence. fuck. this. shit. I'm done.
fucking red blurry shit all over the screen giving me a headache
Awful fucking movement control bugs for 60m failstate
I don't even know why Connor is even mad at this dude, makes no sense.
fuck
it
I'm done.

DeVeAn

What is the deal with this game it looked so awesome and its...boring. I am on sequence 5 but, come on the game feels like it still hasn't started. Disappointed with Borderlands 2 and Resident Evil 6 AND this game is on the same track. Please let something save this game for me.

holy shit @ the
charles lee
fuck
it
I'm done.

He's the one who attacked Connor when he was young, wasn't he?

Multiplayer on Xbox is down. Xboxs everywhere freezing when you start up disc 2 and it tries to validate your uplay code. Dumb uplay server freezing xboxs'!

He's the one who attacked Connor when he was young, wasn't he?

yes but
a) he didn't even hurt him and b) he had nothing to do with burning his village down...in fact Washington did that shit and Connor was like 'its ok dude, u just ordered the murder of my entire family whatevs lets free YOUR people though, yeah that's really important to me for some reason'

Akainu

Multiplayer on Xbox is down. Xboxs everywhere freezing when you start up disc 2 and it tries to validate your uplay code. Dumb uplay server freezing xboxs'!

That happened earlier today on the ps3.

Got damn is everyone playing deathmatch? Can't get any wanted players.

Pooya

holy shit @ the
charles lee
fuck
it
I'm done.

the chases in this game are awful, looks like they forgot they removed sprinting from this game, the targets run way too fast and there is whole lot of annoying things in there with awful checkpoints, really terrible.

about that spoiler
Connor is dumb and the game doesn't say why he's still so mad at Charles Lee, maybe he's blaming death of his friend he killed himself on Lee, but that was his own fault anyway blindly helping Washington, Connor is a tool the whole game

Top Bottom