• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed III |OT| Easier to read than Ratonhnhaké:ton

george_us

Crossing the
battlefield in sequence 7
is annoying as fuck. I pretty much take damage at random. Ubi needs to let Michael Ancel somehow design every game for them because it's clear the rest of their designers have no idea what the fuck they're doing.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Just did the
mission where you had to retrieve the parcel from the cave and get out while it's collapsing

For lack of better words, that was the most random mission ever. The clunkiness of controls really shows in that mission as you navigate, even though they seem to be designed to try and tailor themselves to those kinds of environments. The mission was so funky and inconsequential, really stood out.

Man the stealth really is unbelievably terrible. I must have failed that mandatory no sight mission about 10 times thanks to the clunkiness.

Sweet JESUS this. So fucking bad. I keep jumping in and out of haystacks for no reason. Sometimes I walk into the bush areas and don't hunch down to stealth myself. It tells me to kill this guard without raising open combat and I can't find any fucking way to do it at all. I get seen through completely opaque trees and objects. It just doesn't work. Assassin's Creed stealth, to me, is about hanging off of buildings and taking the high road to get to a target and jump on them from the sky, not crawling through bushes. It just feels so inorganic and forced; linear stealth through these conveniently placed bushes and haystacks and wells. Just fucking horrible.

Pooya

Crossing the
is annoying as fuck. I pretty much take damage at random. Ubi needs to let Michael Ancel somehow design every game for them because it's clear the rest of their designers have no idea what the fuck they're doing.

still not sure how you are supposed to time that thing, I passed it when I was almost dead by luck, looking at the firing range doesn't help much, you still get hit randomly :\

holy shit @ the
charles lee
chase sequence. fuck. this. shit. I'm done.
fucking red blurry shit all over the screen giving me a headache
Awful fucking movement control bugs for 60m failstate
I don't even know why Connor is even mad at this dude, makes no sense.
fuck
it
I'm done.

Really? Did you not remember that part when
Lee confronted the child Connor in the forest, headbutted him with the rifle, burned his village, and killed his mother?

Kyon

Banned
Stealth was thrown out the window in this game. I feel like everyone notices me in seconds. It's really annoying

Pooya

Lee confronted the child Connor in the forest, headbutted him with the rifle, burned his village, and killed his mother?

he didn't burn his village, Washington did, Connor thought he did and he then finds out Washington did that but still he's mad at Lee

_woLf

Stealth was thrown out the window in this game. I feel like everyone notices me in seconds. It's really annoying

Which is funny, because everyone notices you instantly but
you can still climb up the walls of a fully-packed theater and nobody notices a fucking thing

didn't Haytham and Sam Adams say he didn't do it, and then Washington took credit for it later and Connor did fuck all about it? So he hit him with a rifle butt hmmmm bfd lets put the war paint on over that shit

Pooya

Stealth has always been dodgy in this series.

AC1&2 didn't really have much of stealth based objectives and missions, you could play the way you want and being stealthy wasn't the point at all, the developers even said that. It was in Brotherhood that they started this detected = failure thing and even there it wasn't this bad, it was perfectly doable and fun. Here though the AI is so terrible and buggy and levels so bad that it's only annoying. it's extra bad than before. I think this game just didn't have enough play testing and polish, some of the missions are infuriating >.<

AC1&2 didn't really have much of stealth based objectives and missions, you could play the way you want and being stealthy wasn't the point at all, the developers even said that. It was in Brotherhood that they started this detected = failure thing and even there it wasn't this bad, it was perfectly doable and fun. Here though the AI is so terrible and buggy and levels so bad that it's only annoying. it's extra bad than before. I think this game just didn't have enough play testing and polish, some of the missions are infuriating >.<

I agree. The only thing I really really enjoyed was the naval combat which was fantastic.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.

Of course they're going to notice you, Kyon. You're wearing a frickin' hoodie in the middle of the American Revolution. Who thought that was good Assassin Attire!?

Stark

Banned
Crossing the

Eh just wait till they say
"they're firing!" and watch them fire
and run. Was pretty easy.

Boogie9IGN

So am I missing an actual LOCK ON button or am I just supposed to face in the general direction of whoever is attacking me and attempt to counter properly

So am I missing an actual LOCK ON button or am I just supposed to face in the general direction of whoever is attacking me and attempt to counter properly

just wait for the red triangle, press counter and then hit the execute button or spam attack, whatever happens to be working at that particular moment.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.

Look for the arrows to counter, doesn't matter if it's from behind. They ditched lock on.

Dead

well not really...yet
aren't you supposed to be approached by representatives of the clubs? Ive yet to meet any of those dudes, despite doing stuff that should have triggered the encounters (skinned animals, beat up dudes bare handed, etc)

Pooya

aren't you supposed to be approached by representatives of the clubs? Ive yet to meet any of those dudes, despite doing stuff that should have triggered the encounters (skinned animals, beat up dudes bare handed, etc)

yeah, I was invited right after the story hunting mission, I got full sync though, maybe that.

i beat up a bunch of dudes with my fists on accident (it defaults to fists for some fucken reason) and a guy showed up after the fight and said I should go to the boston brawlers club thing

Shooting lonesome dudes in the woods with a bow when nobody is around, is freaking awesome!
I wish I could skin people, too. :/

Also that little whirling animation with his tomahawk Connor does is very nice.

Papercuts

I got the achievement for being invited into a club while I fell off a tree into a river somewhere. I guess it was a pretty impressive fuckup.

Boogie9IGN

F it, I'm quitting for the night, hopefully it's better after a night's sleep. I'm going to watch Last of the Mohicans to see if I can hype myself up a bit

JimFear

Banned
for me assassin creed has nothing to do with stealth, the so called stealth mechanic in this game is crappy. It give you no other choice than killing everyone in sight.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I'm curious - does anyone know if they actually did the entire Beggar's Opera in the beginning of the game? I'm almost curious to leave it going.

Oh boo, it just loops the opening over and over again. That's a pretty disappointing opening to the game.

FStop7

Banned
This fucking game.

"It's time I showed you the tunnels."

Then...

Nothing happens. No markers, no indicators, nothing.

Cheska

First Naval sequence is cool, I love watching the tides move all around you and the controls aren't too horrible. However, why am I
5 sequences in and still not a full Assassin
? How many sequences are there total?

I don't mind Boston, but damn if I don't miss Italy and Ezio.

Papercuts

I got this after Connor confronted a cougar.

Is there a way to check what you got invited to?

First Naval sequence is cool, I love watching the tides move all around you and the controls aren't too horrible. However, why am I
5 sequences in and still not a full Assassin
? How many sequences are there total?

I don't mind Boston, but damn if I don't miss Italy and Ezio.

There's
12 sequences
. I got to 6 which is where the game seems to fully open up...so basically I have spent awhile making zero actual progress.

Game was extremely frustrating until I got to Connor. Leave it to a Londoner to drag shit out. I'm kidding. Why are people saying it takes until to sequence 6 for things to open up? Shit gets fun at sequence 4. I've air assasainated a beaver, rabbit, elk, etc. In the words of Brad Pitt's character in Inglorious Bastards doing a bad Italian accent, Rekwe-Assa-Alfredo-Spaghetti-in-Peace Mr. Beaver. I've also met Daniel Boon, Mike Tyson-KO'd wolves with my bare hands and already found the best bug. It's 1760, I'm still 16 and I single-handidly destroyed a British fort more than a decade before the revolution and raised the colonial flag. Your welcome America. Why the fuck do I want to go back to Boston when I've got hunting challenges and a shit ton of markers in the frontier already? This is like RDR with AC gameplay. But, yes, the start is slow as shit.

SJRB

Gold Member
For me, the stealth segments are where the game completely falls apart. The reason for that is that the game is unreliable. In a stealth segment in any game you as the player should be able to rely on the enemy, its position and its point of view. If an enemy is walking away, or when the radar does not show an anemy, you should be able to progress through the area. This does not matter as much in the open city because there are no consequences. During Stealth missions and especially the "you get spotted it's game over" segments it quickly becomes extremely tedious.

The problem with ACIII (and all others) is that the player can never trust the surroundings, you cannot rely on "common sense". Guards will twitch, glitch or clip, break their pathing and spot you. Guards will randomly spawn in the area, immediately spotting you because you are in the open because you thought, you logically assumed that the area was clear.

The way Ubi is trying to cram these segments down our throats time and time again with the same issues the series has had ever since ACII introduced it makes me wonder what the hell is going on there. I hardly doubt no one in the 425 studios working on this stood up and said "listen guys, this shit sucks and we need to make it better".

Game was extremely frustrating until I got to Connor. Leave it to a Londoner to drag shit out. I'm kidding. Why are people saying it takes until to sequence 6 for things to open up? Shit gets fun at sequence 4. I've air assasainated a beaver, rabbit, elk, etc. In the words of Brad Pitt's character in Inglorious Bastards doing a bad Italian accent, Rekwe-Assa-Alfredo-Spaghetti-in-Peace Mr. Beaver. I've also met Daniel Boon, Mike Tyson-KO'd wolves with my bare hands and already found the best bug. It's 1760, I'm still 16 and I single-handidly destroyed a British fort more than a decade before the revolution and raised the colonial flag. Your welcome America. Why the fuck do I want to go back to Boston when I've got hunting challenges and a shit ton of markers in the frontier already? This is like RDR with AC gameplay. But, yes, the start is slow as shit.

So, you like the game?

I loved it from the start. Even the sequence 1 stuff was great. Oh, and I love multiplayer, too

I feel like I am alone in this thread. Seems like 99% of GAF thinks this game is garbage. I think it's possibly my GotY

TripOpt55

Ehhh... I don't know what to think of the game so far, but I just got to the Connor part though, so it is a bit early to judge. On the other hand, the beginning is pretty boring (though that section gets better as it goes too). I'm not sure if I do not like some of the changes to the controls or I just need to get used to them. It's like four games of AC playing has me doing other shit out of habit. Game is glitchy as hell too. I got stuck in a wall on a mission where you can't be detected and was trying helplessly to get out while a guard approached me. I finally got out after jamming some buttons and jumped like a 100 feet into the water below :| At least I didn't have to restart I guess...

Anyway, I feel like I am finally getting somewhere, so hopefully I will enjoy it more from here on out.

Dead

well not really...yet
Ive yet to run into a single glitch luckily, aside from the ship captain talking without his mouth moving back in sequence 1 (or 2?)

Ardenyal

So, you like the game?

I loved it from the start. Even the sequence 1 stuff was great. Oh, and I love multiplayer, too

I feel like I am alone in this thread. Seems like 99% of GAF thinks this game is garbage. I think it's possibly my GotY

You're not alone!

I liked the early sequences, just as I did with the slow beginning of RDR.

Overall the atmosphere is amazing but broken a bit too often by jarring glitches. Invisible people in cut scenes, person hopping on a chair etc.

So, you like the game?

I love this game, but man does it have glaring flaws. And forcing me to restart missions just to finish it is going to grind anyone's gears.

But I just think the main mission isn't as strong as Brotherhood, which I went back and play just to see I'm not having some kind of made up nostalgic emotions. Pacing is just done better in 2 and Brotherhood, and you can clearly see a real vision that Patrice Désilets set.

Now the side content is leagues above the other AC games and that to be honest it's the main thing I wanted from an AC game since the open world use to feel so barren. There are things that a huge team can do, and having a huge number of people work on making a world feel alive is one of the positives of a big budget.

So, you like the game?

I'll preface this by saying I'm somewhat OCD, so ACIII and the AC series scratches that itch. I'm having much more fun now that I'm playing as Connor, but the game doesn't feel as refined as the last three entries. A lot of the main missions have been buggy as hell - like really buggy -, the stealth sucks, the shooting mechanics are god awful, combat takes getting used to and hunting for underground fast travel points in Boston is the planet scanning of the AC series, but I have challenges to complete and bars to fill so yay?

Stark

Banned
So, you like the game?

Nah. I'm loving every bit of it. The first few sequences are really nice because they are slow.

I haven't touched Multiplayer yet though. Never played MP in any AC, actually.

Top Bottom