• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed III |OT| Easier to read than Ratonhnhaké:ton

Marleyman

Banned
This is my GOTY right now. I am in awe just for the simple fact that I am a part of something I have studied and learned about all my life. That alone is an amazing part of the whole package.

Kiraly

Follow the bushes all the way around until you get to a tree that you can climb. You jump to another tree from there and you should be able to get an aerial assassination.

Thanks man, hadn't noticed that.

Took fucking ages looking for ways lol

I feel the same way.

I can understand why people are hating on this game considering the lack of polish in a lot of things especially when climbing and fighting, but the overall game feels just right.

Different time, different places, better story, better characters, improved climbing, improved animations, added weather effects, hunting etc.

The only thing I dislike is that they completely removed the option to improve your armor.

I'm also in the minority in this thread I think. This is my favorite AC game without a doubt. The additions, refinements, characters, controls... Especially the controls. Now that I've got a solid feel for the new movement system and combat the game shines in these areas. I do recognize the many issues in the game though. But the positive completely outweigh said issues for me.

Some of these trinkets and treasures in the Frontier are really well hidden. A few of them are under hills and such: I have no idea how to get to them.

SJRB

Gold Member
I am confused by all the hate this game is getting. I'm having just as much fun as I did with AC2.

Well with all the talk about the new engine and the E3 demo I suppose most people had high hopes and weren't expecting this much jank.

I also have never seen the word "jank" used as much as in this thread.

It bothers me how they have to constantly show you the optional mission objectives.

Doing an early Connor mission, and I failed one of the optional objectives almost immediately. The text turned red on my screen, and just stayed there for the entirety of the mission. It just made me feel like a failure that for that entire mission, even though I'd only failed one of the optional objectives.

I hate what optional objectives have become. AC2 didn't have them at all, and in Brotherhood they were at least unobtrusive. I can't speak for Revelations as I didn't play it. But in this game, the optional objectives are everywhere and they're annoying. Just design the mission the way you want it in the first place, and don't force all this "optional" stuff on me if you're going to make me feel like shit if I don't complete it all.

Double D

I got the game last night and played through sequence 3. What in the fuck is happening in this game? That horse riding/barrel shooting sequence had me wanting to smash various things around me (I hate shooting in this game in any capacity). I finally stopped trying to shoot the barrels and managed to get through it.

Then I'm running all over the fucking place getting to different objectives. This wouldn't be so bad if I was traversing on top of buildings (or even trees, but I have yet to be able to climb one), but instead I'm trudging through the snow. I don't know. It just doesn't seem all that Assassins Creedy to me so far. Hopefully things start going a little better because otherwise this will be a huge bummer. I was really looking forward to this one.

I got the game last night and played through sequence 3. What in the fuck is happening in this game? That horse riding/barrel shooting sequence had me wanting to smash various things around me (I hate shooting in this game in any capacity). I finally stopped trying to shoot the barrels and managed to get through it.

Then I'm running all over the fucking place getting to different objectives. This wouldn't be so bad if I was traversing on top of buildings (or even trees, but I have yet to be able to climb one), but instead I'm trudging through the snow. I don't know. It just doesn't seem all that Assassins Creedy to me so far. Hopefully things start going a little better because otherwise this will be a huge bummer. I was really looking forward to this one.

That's a very good example of how stuff in this game doesn't make sense. For all the time before that, the "A" button makes your horse "rear" for some dumb reason.

But at that particular point, all the sudden "A" makes your horse charge forward. After I stopped trying to shoot those stupid barrels and started hammering on "A" (in anger), my horse shot forward and I caught the dude easily.

Bollocks

So I have all of the Brawl challenges except for one: Disarm 5 enemies: 0/5
No matter what I do it won't register. Is this glitched, I hope not.

Also it says that I should return to the old brewery in Boston, after I've beat up all the guys but the icon is nowhere to be found on the map.

icespide

Banned
finally got a chance to start this last night on PS3 and I'm a few hours in. I have encountered a few bugs: one guy's mouth completely not moving during a cutscene, and guys guns floating in the air after I killed them.

I am, however, impressed with the performance on PS3, this is the closest I've seen an AC game come to 60FPS on PS3 but perhaps my memory is just fuzzy, I remember revelations and brotherhood having a pretty low framerate

ironcreed

Banned
This game world is just huge. I have not been using fast travel and am finding it takes quite a stroll to get to the next objective. Of course I always get side tracked, but that is a good thing.

On another note, don't judge this game until you get to about sequence 5-6. It is a big story in a big world and it is setting the tone for it. Further, you will not even begin to realize just how big the game really is until you reach this point. Even new gameplay elements are still being introduced.

It's a slow burn for sure, but I think it is done this way on purpose to give the progression a bigger sense of unfolding. Hell, they really could have stretched it out even more and it would have worked even better for those who love story.

Anyway, some quirkiness and niggles aside, it's a fantastic game for those who like to savor the experience and get more than their money's worth. Best in the series for me with ease and one of the top games of this year.

JB1981

finally got a chance to start this last night on PS3 and I'm a few hours in. I have encountered a few bugs: one guy's mouth completely not moving during a cutscene, and guys guns floating in the air after I killed them.

I am, however, impressed with the performance on PS3, this is the closest I've seen an AC game come to 60FPS on PS3 but perhaps my memory is just fuzzy, I remember revelations and brotherhood having a pretty low framerate

The performance is much better than previous PS3 games. No tearing, framerate really isn't that bad so far. Pretty good image quality, texture work is quite nice.

Double D

That's a very good example of how stuff in this game doesn't make sense. For all the time before that, the "A" button makes your horse "rear" for some dumb reason.

But at that particular point, all the sudden "A" makes your horse charge forward. After I stopped trying to shoot those stupid barrels and started hammering on "A" (in anger), my horse shot forward and I caught the dude easily.

At least I feel a little bit better now that I wasn't the only one befuddled by this. I actually wish I recorded that hole sequence of me retrying over and over. I have to admit the times I would run up to a wagon full of explosive barrels, rear my horse up inches from it, and having it explode all while killing my horse and me would have been hilarious had I been watching someone else play it.

So, I'm attacking a fort. There's one guard overlooking a cliff edge, so I figure I'll choke him out silently. Next thing I know, the choking animations makes me step over the edge, and I plummet to my death.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
So, I'm attacking a fort. There's one guard overlooking a cliff edge, so I figure I'll choke him out silently. Next thing I know, the choking animations makes me step over the edge, and I plummet to my death.

I warned you about Mountain-top Fortresses near the edge and attacking guards bro. I warned you!

It keeps happening!

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I am confused by all the hate this game is getting. I'm having just as much fun as I did with AC2.
Most of the reason for my dislike is the frequent bugs in the game I encounter (literally something new every half hour I find) and the controls which are a massive step down from what the series has built upon and refined.

Maybe I'm spoiled since I usually only play games that end up being very polished but for all the technical stuff I've encountered alone thus far, I can see why people would give it a 7/10. I'm enjoying the rest of the game a lot though and it indeed gets much better as it goes on.

Tadale

Some of that early tutorial stuff combined with just getting used to the new controls and some underwhelming looking areas early on are giving people are a bad first impression of the game, I think. I felt the same way during the first few hours. The game really gets impressive around sequence 6 or so.

TheOddOne

It bothers me how they have to constantly show you the optional mission objectives.

Doing an early Connor mission, and I failed one of the optional objectives almost immediately. The text turned red on my screen, and just stayed there for the entirety of the mission. It just made me feel like a failure that for that entire mission, even though I'd only failed one of the optional objectives.

I hate what optional objectives have become. AC2 didn't have them at all, and in Brotherhood they were at least unobtrusive. I can't speak for Revelations as I didn't play it. But in this game, the optional objectives are everywhere and they're annoying. Just design the mission the way you want it in the first place, and don't force all this "optional" stuff on me if you're going to make me feel like shit if I don't complete it all.
Can't agree more with you. The indicators are huge too btw, takes about 20 percent of the screen.

ironcreed

Banned
I also want to note how amazing the ship segments are. The controls feel fantastic and blasting away at other ships is fun as hell. Come to think of it, I could stand a full game based around these mechanics. Just an awesome addition that adds to the variety.

I hate to see this game not get the benefit of the doubt for what all it does right because of some bugs and a deliberately slow start that is just trying to set up a big story. This a huge game and it is going to have some quirks, but the whole of it is still absolutely great. You just can't get a full appreciation for it until you are about 6-7 hours in. I appreciate that they made a game that I can savor and be surprised at as it opens up even more.

ultron87

i-ZvJMcgn-L.jpg

Lol.

Lima

I love how your horse can change color too. Impressive.

Love the German guy in the general store.

"What do you need, Mein Freund?"

Carbonox

:lol So true.

Regarding the fort side missions, does anyone else get to the secondary objective icon and nothing happens? It tells me to go a certain spot so I do but nothing happens and the icon just remains. There's fuck all else to do in the fort.

jet1911

Rented this on PS3 and plyed up to Sequence 6 I think. Anyway I had a lot of fun but I'll buy the PC version at the end of the month. Framerate was way too much inconsistent for my liking. The game is really fun though, there's son much thing to do it's crazy. I really liked the naval missions and the one mission I did looking for a map that this crazy dude talks about was a lot of fun.

I also want to note how amazing the ship segments are. The controls feel fantastic and blasting away at other ships is fun as hell. Come to think of it, I could stand a full game based around these mechanics. Just an awesome addition that adds to the variety.

I hate to see this game not get the benefit of the doubt for what all it does right because of some bugs and a deliberately slow start that is just trying to set up a big story. This a huge game and it is going to have some quirks, but the whole of it is still absolutely great. You just can't get a full appreciation for it until you are about 6-7 hours in. I appreciate that they made a game that I can savor and be surprised at as it opens up even more.

I agree sailing in formation with other ships and then breaking off to attack the British was probably the most badass moment of the game

I have played every AC, and beaten all of them except for AC1 - which I grew bored of quickly. Besides the first game, I have enjoyed them all quite a bit, and consider Brotherhood to be the jewel of the series. I have mixed feelings about AC3.

I really liked the opening chapter; besides a trailer or two I’ve not been keeping up with the game, so this chapter came out of nowhere and I immediately recognized the production values. The graphics are fine, and the game is ambitious, but I have some issues with the game that I hope will be resolved or at least mitigated to some degree.

-The opening of the game is looooooooooooong and sloooooooooow…………the duration of this needs to be halved or something.

-What happened to combat? It feels like something is different here. Is the block button gone? Didn’t there used to be a button to lock onto people? Why can’t I lock onto people!?!? Why are so many actions mapped to the “O” button, that I end up spazzing it during hectic situations? I understand that the camera tries to give a cinematic feel to some of the fights, but sometimes it just goes crazy, and I can’t really even tell what’s going on (again why can’t I lock onto people?)

-Kneeling in grass that coneals 30% of your body makes you invisible to a guard a foot away from you. Just like real life!

-The game feels like it’s been simplified. Two buttons basically do everything now. While I’m holding R1 to run, I keep wanting to hold X to sprint, but there is no need for that now – same with jumping ‘up’ when climbing structures.

-The game hand holds you for like 7 hours, but then doesn’t tell you how to do basic things…how the hell do I check my email? How do you shoot the rifle that you pick up from soldiers (I figured this out easily enough, but still?). The game showed it once, but I have no idea how to hold a guard when a firing line is shooting at me.

-Hunting seems pretty lame; they should have taken some pages out of Red Dead Redemption (and the only page they took out “bending down to knife/clean the kill” was the part about hunting in RDR that no one liked after the first time and skipped – thankfully it can be skipped in AC3 and is far quicker in general.)

-The navy battle was interesting; will play again.

-I’m at Chapter 7 and I hope it gets better.

^Correction I'm at sequence 6, not 7.

I’ve put a couple more hours into this game, and I must say that my opinion is changing. I’m still on the same sequence, but I’ve been doing some exploring, running around the frontier, and buying weapons. I finally understand the combat, and the fights now are just awesome. There are a lot of contextual moves this time around; even things like slamming enemies into walls is a nice little touch. I decimated a group of soldiers last night, and in the last kill it went into slow motion as Conner lunges at a soldier and slashed his neck with his tomahawk, and the angle of the camera, and seeing Conner’s face change during the lunge, and just the pure badassness of it all left me giddy. I am playing Assasins Creed again finally, and it feels great. Also, last night I was running around Boston when a storm rolled through – loved that.

I finished my review of the single player game yesterday.

I really avoided all review coverage until now. But now I'm curious if everyone else has seen a lot of the weird bugs and issues I have seen:

- Connor's signature Tomahawk completely disappeared from my inventory about 2/3rds of the way through the story and there's no way to get it back. I never switched to another type of weapon, and now its not in the homestead either (in fact my sword also went missing about 90% through the story but I didn't investigate as thoroughly to see if I could get it back). There was a key cutscene where Connor was supposed to use his Tomahawk where he was just holding an invisible weapon
- Outfit color changes aren't reflected at all in cutscenes. These are real-time cutscenes so I don't see why they can't do it. Previous AC games did not have this issue
- Tackling mechanic seems partially broken and didn't work well for me. In fact anything relating to the old Grab button ("B" on 360) is kinda broken or missing in this game. From grabbing on to higher ledges while climbing tall buildings (automated now), to grabbing onto ledges while dropping down off a higher ledge (can't do it), to grabbing and pushing civilians and enemies (can't do it) it all kinda sucks.
- Limited interactions with civilians. I know pushing through crowds wasn't material to the game but it just made the world feel dynamic. And tackling/accidentally killing civilians was occasionally funny.
- Freerunning just seems jankier, if you clip a high ledge or barrier, Connor will go flying up like 5 feet in the air for a few frames before coming back down
- The glow on the moon at night looks fucking pixelated as hell
- Never could go to a Printer to get my notoriety down nor did I ever see icons on my mini map for Town Criers or Most Wanted Posters. In fact through my 14+ hours playing the story, I only ever saw one poster that I was able to take down.
- If you hold RT coming out of a reloaded checkpoint, Connor will just walk. You have to wait for a few moments and then press it for it to be registered.

In general I just don't like the safe freerun mode. I found the old system much more enjoyable where you really had to guess whether or not a jump was safe before taking it. Now maybe part of it is that the city just doesn't have as much space to run around on rooftops in this game too. I realize safe freerun makes jumping from tree to tree infinitely more easier because you'd be flying off trees all the time if they didn't have this mode. Maybe its something where they'd have safe freerun only in trees but regular freerun everywhere else.

Climbing tall buildings just isn't fun anymore. I know some of it is due to the architecture. But even in the few cases where you do get to climb buildings reminiscent of the ones in Italy, you pretty much just hold up to get to the top. It wasn't necessarily rocket science in AC2, but I still loved finding the right spots to climb up, and when you couldn't go any further you'd have to jump up and then for higher ledges you'd have to time pressing "B" to grab on to them. It just made the viewpoints exciting enough.

I also don't like the HUD changes. Its confusing now at times where enemies are on the screen. Sometimes it looks like they are in front if you behind a building when they are actually beside or behind you. The way the old icons were it made it very clear they were behind you with the big arrows pointing to the edge of the screen. And I don't like that theres no automatic distance marker to your next objective unless you mark it on your map. And also don't like that when you mark it in your map the marker floats in the world and the distance indicator is right next to the marker in the world.

Just seems like its obvious the original thinkers behind the concept of AC are gone where they got rid of the puppeteering aspects, and got away from the concept of keeping the HUD out of the way as much as possible.

That being said I like a lot of the other stuff. Story is top notch and I do like the new hunting and stealth aspects.

edit: oh yeah the optional mission objectives are also annoying. Some of them spoil whats coming up in the mission you're playing. And I even had a major plot point of the game spoiled early by reading a person's bio in the Animus DB.

ironcreed

Banned
^Correction I'm at sequence 6, not 7.

I’ve put a couple more hours into this game, and I must say that my opinion is changing. I’m still on the same sequence, but I’ve been doing some exploring, running around the frontier, and buying weapons. I finally understand the combat, and the fights now are just awesome. There are a lot of contextual moves this time around; even things like slamming enemies into walls is a nice little touch. I decimated a group of soldiers last night, and in the last kill it went into slow motion as Conner lunges at a soldier and slashed his neck with his tomahawk, and the angle of the camera, and seeing Conner’s face change during the lunge, and just the pure badassness of it all left me giddy. I am playing Assasins Creed again finally, and it feels great. Also, last night I was running around Boston when a storm rolled through – loved that.

Good to hear. I am afraid that many are going to prematurely write this game off before they even get to see how much awesome is really on offer here. They feed it to you in bites and it finally starts to feel like an entirely different game once you start seeing more and getting into the flow of things. And once you do, holy shit is the game ever fun.

If you lose a weapon and its not at the homestead, you can equip it again from the general store.

Same thing happened to me with Connor's tomahawk. Just went back to the store and re-equipped it.

Derrick01

Banned
I made it to sequence 6 too and I'm starting to like it more. I don't really have a great idea of how much there is to do yet since the menus are not the most organized but I'm currently running around the frontier finding treasure chests and feathers. It's weird how some of them are on the map like a hundred miles away but some aren't until you get near them.

Also damn at these chests. There's around 10 recipes in each of them that I've found so far.

zweifuss

Ugh, THIS. So THIS. I spent at least half an hour on this trying to make it work. Pressing X made my horse rear instead of charge, and the target would always get away (Really, he lost him on a path with no alternative exits?). The framerate got really janky in this sequence too, and I could never reload my gun fast enough to shoot the next set of barrels. What is the benefit of getting all the optional goals anyway?

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Also what's bad is if you have someone following you and you get on a horse, B isn't dismount but tells your partner to wait instead, so effectively you cannot fucking get off the horse.

I don't even know how I got out, I mashed B for a minute until it happened.

If you lose a weapon and its not at the homestead, you can equip it again from the general store.

Same thing happened to me with Connor's tomahawk. Just went back to the store and re-equipped it.

Is there a specific general store I have to go to? Because I did go to one after I beat the story and all I saw was the Stone Tomahawk so I ended up buying that to have something to fill that slot.

I made it to sequence 6 too and I'm starting to like it more. I don't really have a great idea of how much there is to do yet since the menus are not the most organized but I'm currently running around the frontier finding treasure chests and feathers. It's weird how some of them are on the map like a hundred miles away but some aren't until you get near them.

Also damn at these chests. There's around 10 recipes in each of them that I've found so far.

You can buy maps in shops that will reveal all the locations of chests, feathers, almanac pages etc.

Omni

Played for about 6+ hours today, and didn't do a single main mission. Basically just liberated New York and Boston completely. Now have all the Assassins available, all the abilities (there are some awesome ones) and all but 3 are level 5+.

Haven't even done anything in the Frontier / Homestead or whatever it's called yet.

Sooo many side missions.

Played for about 6+ hours today, and didn't do a single main mission. Basically just liberated New York and Boston completely. Now have all the Assassins available, all the abilities (there are some awesome ones) and all but 3 are level 5+.

Haven't even done anything in the Frontier / Homestead or whatever it's called yet.

Sooo many side missions.

I probably would've had more fun with the game if I did more side missions. The ones I played were pretty neat. I just don't have time.

FStop7

Banned
Holy shit, I have something positive to say about this game!

The ship stuff is awesome! Your crew singing, the shouting and chaos during combat, yelling "FIRE" followed by the roar of the cannons... really great!

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
You can buy maps in shops that will reveal all the locations of chests, feathers, almanac pages etc.
Will more chests and almanacs show up as time goes on, and of so do you need to buy a new map or will buying it once suffice for the rest of the game?

Bought everything except the NY maps immediately. Chests alone almost always cover their own price.

Top Bottom