• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed III |OT| Easier to read than Ratonhnhaké:ton

So, you like the game?

I loved it from the start. Even the sequence 1 stuff was great. Oh, and I love multiplayer, too

I feel like I am alone in this thread. Seems like 99% of GAF thinks this game is garbage. I think it's possibly my GotY

I completely agree. I think the beginning is great. Loving the game so far. I spent over 6 hours in the game before I got out of sequence 2, lol

SJRB

Gold Member
Holy shit....I just did a counter kill with the fucking animal snare. Conner used it like fucking Hitman fiberwire. A-mazing!!

For all the shit this game has been getting with all the glitches and whatnot, the animations cannot be praised enough. Yesterday I fought a group of soldiers after luring them in a narrow alley. To my amazement Connor used all sorts of contextual moves like bashing heads against the walls and even parcour-running the wall while strangling some dude. It was amazing.

Animations overall are super impressive, I love how he moves through the trees or even walks through the streets, he has a very specific head tilt while walking that just looks awesome. I also totally love the posture when resting in the tree, how he casually lounges against the branch, so cool.

Another supercool detail is how you can pull out the tomahawk and casually twirl it around. Serves no real purpose but looks cool as hell too. Tomahawk is an awesome addition overall, I love air assassinations with the tomahawk much more than the hidden blade. Far more brutal.

Akainu

So, you like the game?

I loved it from the start. Even the sequence 1 stuff was great. Oh, and I love multiplayer, too

I feel like I am alone in this thread. Seems like 99% of GAF thinks this game is garbage. I think it's possibly my GotY
I'm with you.

I kept hearing about the sequence
3 twist. But it was actually different then what I was thinking. "Watch Lee is a Templar...wait they all are?!"

Omni

Another supercool detail is how you can pull out the tomahawk and casually twirl it around. Serves no real purpose but looks cool as hell too. Tomahawk is an awesome addition overall, I love air assassinations with the tomahawk much more than the hidden blade. Far more brutal.

Sure it's good... until you realise that you can't swing any weapon unless you're in combat. Can't even kill those pesky civs.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
Holy shit, people were not kidding about Desmond's face. It's like he's wearing a mask. They should have kept the ACII model.

^^^^^

Good to see some love in here.

Now, can someone tell me how to win Fanorona? Seems like these games are impossible to win... the AI is just godly

one_kill

I think the optional objectives sucks. It distracts people like me who are OCD about such things from the story.

I'm just at the end of sequence 2. It's a SLOW start, but I'm hoping it pays off.

As for multiplayer, I love wolfpack. I love it especially when you get people who know how to play. I hate playing with people who just run and kill, instead of run, fast walk, wait for others, and then kill (lol).

Finally, I hate not being to log in to play multiplayer consistently. Damn you "Ubisoft servers are offline" and "limited mode" notifications! It takes me numerous tries to log in.

I completely agree. I think the beginning is great. Loving the game so far. I spent over 6 hours in the game before I got out of sequence 2, lol

You guys are not alone, I think this is pretty excellent as well. So far feels kind of like Red Dead's Creed. I can see how people might complain about about the early stages, but I haven't been following the thread so I don't know what the complaints are really. The early pacing is slower, surely, so that newcomers can get into it, but since they changed all kinds of controller stuff anyway, I really didn't mind it. Clearly they're also trying to engage the player with the main character, and make him as strong a protagonist as the previous ancestors. From what I've played so far I think they've succeeded - I think I'm at sequence 5, where
Boston opens up and you can run around and do viewpoints, chase pages, etc.

Carbonox

^^^^^

Now, can someone tell me how to win Fanorona? Seems like these games are impossible to win... the AI is just godly

I won the first Fanorona game you come across in the game and won without fully realizing what the fuck I'm supposed to do. :lol Fuck trying that game again though. So weird.

*OPENS UP A FANORONA CLUB IN TOWN*

Man once you get to Sequence 6, this game explodes in awesome. I still thoroughly enjoyed the 2 before as well, not so much the first 3.

How do I access the PS3 exclusive stuff? Haven't seen anything yet (up to sequence 7)

Anyone else really enjoy exploring the underground? Lightning torches along the way, finding quick travel points and doing a few puzzles. I dunno. That was just a nice change of pace.

Then I go back up into the city and it's shit. :( So much pop-in, spastic framerate, boring architecture and annoying bugs everywhere. Why is that when I'm trying to climb onto a roof from certain places it doesn't work at all? I have to shimmy along until the game lets me pull myself up.

Luckily the Frontier is pretty cool and devoid of ALL these issues.

I won the first Fanorona game you come across in the game and won without fully realizing what the fuck I'm supposed to do. :lol Fuck trying that game again though. So weird.

*OPENS UP A FANORONA CLUB IN TOWN*

Man once you get to Sequence 6, this game explodes in awesome. I still thoroughly enjoyed the 2 before as well, not so much the first 3.

I won that one, too, but the expert version seems impossible. It's like, if you and the CPU both have 4 pieces left, there is NOTHING you can do to win. Draw? Sure, maybe, but not win.

dreamfall

Yeah, I love this game- flaws be damned! Got up to Sequence 6 last night and today, I wholeheartedly expected to continue with story. But five hours later, and I've done nothing but explore, hunt, find feathers, fight on the high seas and attempt some of the
Homestead
missions.

I absolutely love the Assassin HQ this time around.
Recruiting new artisans and traders is a great concept- both aesthetically and financially. Protecting the land from robbers, staving off soldiers attacking farmers, breaking up fights- you name it. I think the idea of Achilles' encyclopedia is great too. I've become invested on making sure Connor's home shall be well decorated! And having such a big area to explore in between city runs is pretty refreshing.

As far as Naval combat goes, I really enjoy it. It's a marked departure from all the grand machinations of Templars/Assassins and there is some real serenity to sailing before all hell usually breaks loose. The combat may feel a bit clunky, but all the battles feel so gigantic- sails changing speeds, cannons firing everywhere and the sea tumultuously splashing while wind currents stray the course!

I also like some of the side activities in major cities. The
Frontier missions are hilarious- like strange investigations based on hearsay, that are actually really humorous! The Kraken, the UFO, I can't wait to see what's next. And casually attacking a Fort really helped me solidify/understand the fight mechanics.
There's some real art in experimenting with tools in Connor's arsenal- with brutal killing animations to match. I've been surprised with the flow of the combat- rushing to take a shield before enemies fire, and running assassinations are always fun. The ease of combat from the previous titles completely returns- but this doesn't bother me. I think the controls feel slightly better after messing around for awhile (casually attacking just to practice!).

There is a lot of content. Along with hilarious glitches. But if you're at all a fan of this franchise, you should try it! I thought AC II was a huge step forward from AC I, and Brotherhood/Revelations were incremental steps to making the game better (MINUS Tower defense!) This feels like another evolution- I can't speak entirely on the game's narrative, but I like Connor as a character thus far. His willingness to defend his people and his interactions with others have been great!

Edit: I keep saying this but I also agree- it reminds me of Red Dead Redemption is so many ways that I love. That freedom to explore, the similar concept of "Stranger" missions, the beauty of the forest. It feels good.

Omni

Boston sucks ass, IMO. Finally got to go through New York and I love it. It actually has atmosphere.

The post a few above made me realise something. I got the Freedom Edition and apparently it came with a few single player missions... I'm up to sequence 9 and have no idea what they are / how to access them. Do we have to go hunting for them in the Frontier or something?

Holy shit, people were not kidding about Desmond's face. It's like he's wearing a mask. They should have kept the ACII model.

I'm one of the few that felt Revelations' model was an improvement (whilst still looking like the same character) but this latest change is one for the worse, even if it's closer to the male model they based Desmond on.

Petrichor

Really? Did you not remember that part when
Lee confronted the child Connor in the forest, headbutted him with the rifle, burned his village, and killed his mother?

George Washington burnt the village, lee wasn't involved

Its like the plot actually making sense was a secondary priority and the foremost consideration was getting connor at all of the famous battles in the revolutionary war.

What a disappointment.

So, you like the game?

I feel the same way.

I can understand why people are hating on this game considering the lack of polish in a lot of things especially when climbing and fighting, but the overall game feels just right.

Different time, different places, better story, better characters, improved climbing, improved animations, added weather effects, hunting etc.

The only thing I dislike is that they completely removed the option to improve your armor.

Amir0x

Banned
Not sure what the insane production values are compared to other games in the series and other open world games like RDR or GTA. They are okay. Nothing too extra-ordinary IMO.

you don't even need to go further beyond the intro to have a great example of what I mean. The Opera House scene was insane from a production value perspective; the on going play and opera singing in the bankground, the huge throngs of people in the crowd. Then, when you get to the boat in the intro,
that whole segment in the storm, with the ocean raging, rain spattering everywhere, people rushing to and fro to try to keep the ship going.
And there are scenes that mirror these sort of production values throughout. The game is crazy.

GTA also has very high production values and so does RDR, though, so it's not like saying one game has high production values means another doesn't. But I would say AC3 takes the cake here.

News Bot

Banned
One thing is bothering me in regards to Haytham and Connor.
How does Haytham know Connor is his son when his mother deliberately didn't tell him?

SJRB

Gold Member
One thing is bothering me in regards to Haytham and Connor.
How does Haytham know Connor is his son when his mother deliberately didn't tell him?

Haha I was bothered by the exact opposite - how the fuck does Connor know
Haytham was his father? How does Connor even recognize him? It's not like he had a picture or anything to go by.

That part in Sequence 5 at the town hall was so random for this reason.

News Bot

Banned
Haha I was bothered by the exact opposite - how the fuck does Connor know
Haytham was his father? How does Connor even recognize him? It's not like he had a picture or anything to go by.

That part in Sequence 5 at the town hall was so random for this reason.

I assume
his mother told him who he was, and Achilles had his portrait. Haytham's knowledge is much more random and a gaping plot hole.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
^^^^^

I have no idea on strategy here but I atleast understand how it's played...what about that Nine Men whatever the hell? I have no clue what's happening there. Once you can start sliding pieces I just lose everything and have no idea what to do.

I have no idea on strategy here but I atleast understand how it's played...what about that Nine Men whatever the hell? I have no clue what's happening there. Once you can start sliding pieces I just lose everything and have no idea what to do.

Haha, it took a while, but I finally won a game of expert Fanorona. It was down to 1 piece for my opponent and two for me. I managed to corner his last piece for the win.

I'm not sure which one you're talking about... is that the one where you have to get straight lines (mills?) and then you get to take away one of your opponent's pieces? I played that one in sequence 1 and I hated it... took me forever to win

Ambitious

I've got about 71% completion for the liberation missions in North Boston. There's no white liberation icon left on the map, only the black one where Duncan is located. But I can't talk to him. What am I missing?

Not really a spoiler, but tagged just in case. Just some minor stuff about the HQ.
Also, I don't really get Achilles' encyclopedia. Who I am supposed to scan? It says "invalid target" for people who have an icon on the map and doesn't do anything for the others. So far I have scanned only I think three or four people. I'm in sequence 9 and did every sidequest and homestead mission as soon as they were available.

And I can't produce many goods as I seem to miss most of the inhabitants required for them. I just arrived in N.Y., I guess I'll find new ones there.

I don't get why they removed the ability to draw and use weapons on the loading screen. No big deal, I'm just wondering as I don't see any reason. By the way: holy shit this game loads fast (XB360, installed).

And why did they feel they needed to redesign Shaun and Rebecca?

Okay just finished sequence 3 and things are finally kicking into gear as Connor.

Hunting is kinda fun actually, it's like each is a mini-assassination contract. I cracked up the first time I air-assassinated a rabbit.

Started the other night and I'm a bit confused by the 1st and 2nd sequence. Who the hell is this guy and where's Connor. Hopefully I find out soon. Also who fed up Desmonds face!

theDeeDubs

I feel like I'm the only one not frustrated in the stealth sections. I love them so far. Whistling, stalking in grass, and corner takedowns are a great addition to this series. Rev was the first time I felt the stealth sections were decent, but they've come even further with this one. It may not be Thief-level good, but I find it way better than say Metal Gear stealth.

I do find the gun controls a little wonky though.

Collider

Banned
I saw a lot of videos and reviews. It seems like game is having serious clipping issues.
Hand and backs going into trees and buildings (esp trees). This is what previous games never really had.

Just gave in and bought it yesterday. I'm really enjoying it so far. Some of the controls take some getting used to, but it's very enjoyable so far. A couple of glitches so far though that were a bit annoying;

1. Kill animations glitch and soldier will go from standing to instantly bloody and dead on the ground without the animation completing.

2. Riding horseback cause the frame rate to take a noticable hit.

3. Soldiers chasing you will glitch into a building, the ground etc.

That's all so far.

That early mission shooting redcoats on rooftops - the mission won't progress unless you kill the rooftop enemies with your pistol or rifle. I tried climbing up and killing them, nothing happened.

Which doesn't make sense. Wouldn't it be easier to program "start next part of mission when all enemies dead" rather than "when rooftop enemies killed by bullets"?

Tadale

I've been playing a lot over the past few days, and the glitches have become a lot less frequent or noticeable. I've actually been having a great time with it, and I've been blowing through a lot of the side content and missions – I have hard a hard time putting it down at night.

One thing that's not really clear to me – am I supposed to be buying upgrades for the homestead or the boat? I don't really understand where I'm supposed to be spending my money besides at the general store.

Mohonky

Can some one remind me.....

At the end of Brotherhood
when Desmond is forced to stab the girl at the end during the sequence where they find the Apple of Eden
did they ever explain that? I can't remember it being explained in Revelations. Nor was it explained why
she could not be allowed to continue with Desmond?

Also, is this supposed to be the final game in the series? I know it was supposed to be a trilogy to begin with but shits gone off the rails with the 'side' games.

Collider

Banned
Can some one remind me.....

At the end of Brotherhood
when Desmond is forced to stab the girl at the end during the sequence where they find the Apple of Eden
did they ever explain that? I can't remember it being explained in Revelations. Nor was it explained why
she could not be allowed to continue with Desmond?

Also, is this supposed to be the final game in the series? I know it was supposed to be a trilogy to begin with but shits gone off the rails with the 'side' games.

It was explained in the Revelations DLC.

And why did they feel they needed to redesign Shaun and Rebecca?

and Desmond. They look like hairless ape people or something. I don't know why they would screw with that, maybe some poorly thought out idea to make desmond look more native american? It's really weird

tumblr_lt0ga97fmd1qfh2bxo1_500.png

whyyyyyyyyyy

Lemonte

I liked how Desmond looks in AC2. Why they have to change his looks in every game. AC3 Derpmond looks like whole different character.

JB1981

Pisses me off when PS3 games don't quit to the XMB .. This game hard resets my system when I quit (download version)

raindoc

combat is awful, world is too big, quicktravel is just a series of loading screens that don't really help saving time... but the setting works better than i'd have expected.
and the plot twist was soooo predictable

got the feeling that i'll grow to love this game, but currently it's just average imo.

Top Bottom