• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed III |OT| Easier to read than Ratonhnhaké:ton

I probably would've had more fun with the game if I did more side missions. The ones I played were pretty neat. I just don't have time.

Despite finishing the story I do plan on going back to play the side missions. Looks like a ton of great content that you could miss out on if you ignore them. But I do like them moving a lot of content to side missions since AC2 because the game would have been a grind if it were any longer.

Played for about 6+ hours today, and didn't do a single main mission. Basically just liberated New York and Boston completely. Now have all the Assassins available, all the abilities (there are some awesome ones) and all but 3 are level 5+.

Haven't even done anything in the Frontier / Homestead or whatever it's called yet.

Sooo many side missions.

Yeah, I got caught up in all that as well. The new assassin's abilities are sweet. I only have 3 recruited so far.

The sad thing is that I am most likely double dipping for the PC version and I will get caught up in all the collectables and shit again. lol.

ultron87

I'm guessing there is no way to board random ships during ship missions? Probably a scripted thing only?

Because I would love it if there was more excuses to use chain shot, because it looks super cool when you fire it.

I'm guessing there is no way to board random ships during ship missions? Probably a scripted thing only?

Because I would love it if there was more excuses to use chain shot, because it looks super cool when you fire it.

I have downed ships with chain shot in normal missions...I got close to see if I could board. It seems like it was attempting to pull the ships side by side, but then I was an idiot and fired my cannons point blank destroying the ship. I will check that out today. That would be awesome if you could.

rvy

Banned
Whoa, the chase assassinations in Sequence 10 would be really amazing if it weren't for the clunky mechanics.

kaskade

I had a really duh moment with the combat. When I was hitting B to counter I didn't realize that X corresponded to the main weapon and y the second when countering. For a little bit I kept wondering what I was doing wrong.

played only the very beginning on PS3.. and i think the game starts beautifully. the
Opera House and sailing to Boston
were awesome IMO, definitely the best opening in the series so far (can't even really remember how the other games started). i have no idea who this Haytham dude is though lol, should clear up soon.

i dig a slow beginning, will be all the more satisfying when it all finally opens up! i'm glad they did it this way to be honest.

I hate what optional objectives have become. AC2 didn't have them at all, and in Brotherhood they were at least unobtrusive. I can't speak for Revelations as I didn't play it. But in this game, the optional objectives are everywhere and they're annoying. Just design the mission the way you want it in the first place, and don't force all this "optional" stuff on me if you're going to make me feel like shit if I don't complete it all.

I have to say, in spite of my general enjoyment, optional objectives are exploitable at best and intrusive at worst. Two of the more egregious examples I can think of:

-
The 'don't hit the trees' objective when you're the eagle. I believe the sequence was intended to be a quite surreal experience, but I was too busy avoiding trees.

-
The mission where you save the guy on the log, but must do so without touching the water. I was successful until I dived off the end of the broken tree into the water. Ding! Optional objective failed. The next thing that happens? Connor dives off the end of the broken tree into the water and I can't replay the checkpoint because it's already saved. Yeah, there's a lot of that stuff in the game...

Also, don't enter a shop if you have alert status: you won't be able to leave it until you're alert status goes.

I have to say, in spite of my general enjoyment, optional objectives are exploitable at best and intrusive at worst. Two of the more egregious examples I can think of:

-
The 'don't hit the trees' objective when you're the eagle. I believe the sequence was intended to be a quite surreal experience, but I was too busy avoiding trees.

That one in particular was reeeaallly stupid. It's like they had a rule somewhere that said "every mission MUST have optional objectives." There was absolutely no reason for it.

Aside from the weird combat system that I need to get used to, the game is awesome. Love the new setting and free running is fun as always. I kinda dig the use of guns and it's hilarious to see everyone slowly reloading after a shot. Using a hostage to stop a volley of shots is awesome though the combat controls are still weird.

SJRB

Gold Member
Aside from the weird combat system that I need to get used to, the game is awesome. Love the new setting and free running is fun as always. I kinda dig the use of guns and it's hilarious to see everyone slowly reloading after a shot. Using a hostage to stop a volley of shots is awesome though the combat controls are still weird.

I can't get the hostage mechanic to work for the life of me. The game showed me how to do it once but other than that I've never been able to do it. I also am not sure if it even is possible when an officer is trying to shoot me. There must be some kind of window of oppertunity but I don't see any indicators or whatever.

I don't know, at the moment I feel there's a logic to the combat mechanics that I just haven't figured out yet. I'm constantly struggling with it. I can't chain kills together either like AC:B and AC:R introduced.
In those games you could aim the left stick to the next target while killing one, press square and Ezio would automatically move to that target and kill him, Arkham style. For some reason I can't get that flow in this game.

I can't get the hostage mechanic to work for the life of me. The game showed me how to do it once but other than that I've never been able to do it. I also am not sure if it even is possible when an officer is trying to shoot me. There must be some kind of window of oppertunity but I don't see any indicators or whatever.

I don't know, at the moment I feel there's a logic to the combat mechanics that I just haven't figured out yet. I'm constantly struggling with it. I can't chain kills together either like AC:B and AC:R introduced.
In those games you could aim the left stick to the next target while killing one, press square and Ezio would automatically move to that target and kill him, Arkham style. For some reason I can't get that flow in this game.

This!

I can't chain more that 2 consecutive kills together. I have no idea what I'm doing wrong.

Also where are the animus challenge rooms? Please tell they're stl in the game.....

Carbonox

I feel more alive in the Frontier than in Boston, so much so that I'm spending more of my time in the Frontier doing the side missions and other fun stuff. So good and it looks beautiful too, especially during the thunderstorms. Gorgeous.

There are rare times when the indicators don't show up. The yellow triangle mean that someone is getting ready to shoot. I ended up just playing with the SSI turned off so it causes me to really pay attention to the enemy movements and what the enemies are saying. Usually before someone fires you will hear them say, "I have a shot", "Preparing to fire", or "Take aim". If you have nobody around you to grab for a shield by hitting A. Go straight for the person firing and hit A. Or hell, pause to the weapon menu, select the rope dart and Scorpion that motherfucker. lol.

JB1981

I finally figured hostage mechanic out. Redcoats have to have yellow triangle over their head (about to fire) just tap X next to closest guy and he will grab the guy. Simple as that

This is pretty much what's going on with me. I have no idea how to chain kills, and while hostage taking is awesome, I've only accomplished it twice... and both by accident. I have no idea what I'm doing during fights.

This is pretty much what's going on with me. I have no idea how to chain kills, and while hostage taking is awesome, I've only accomplished it twice... and both by accident. I have no idea what I'm doing during fights.

To chain kills, do a counter kill and then mash square/X in the direction of the next enemy. That's all there is to it. Not sure why SJRB is having issue with it.

For using human shields, find someone close to you that's highlighted and just press X/A.

Chaining is much like the other games. Hitting directional to the enemy you want to hit. You can only take hostage/human shield when the yellow triangle appears over soldiers heads, letting you know they are preparing to fire. Breaking defense on heavy enemies using X is also a pretty essential move I'd say.

I wish the PC version was out. I would love to put together a video just revolving around the combat.

After spending countless hours in sequence 7, finally finished it. LOVED that final mission. So freaking cool. People may hate the hell out of this game but to me it just hits all the right notes (even with some of the issues). Hell the enviroment weather effects/time of day can totally change the look and feel of an area I've been to a few times. Just a gorgeous game at moments I have the new city location but refuse to go over there just yet till I get everything else done. :D

ironcreed

Banned
Running through the trees made me think how cool an Avatar game would b on this engine

Some of the paths they have created for you in the trees, giant crags and mountains are just amazing. Over rivers without touching water or the ground, tree stands, paths through trees to mountain sides, which you can then further climb. You really have to explore the huge frontier and experiment with free running in order to gain a full appreciation for how detailed and well designed the landscape is. One of the best environment/gameplay combos out there, in my opinion. As they are so intricately interwoven together. Feeling like you are one with such an environment is awesome indeed.

Carbonox

Running through the trees made me think how cool an Avatar game would b on this engine

Assassin's Creed: Pandora where Desmond takes control of an Avatar Assassin, rather than using an Animus, and exploring planets?

Where am I going with this. I have no idea what I'm doing.

iddqd

Alright. Every time I meet a wolf, it jumps right at my throat.
No more quick time event, no nothing.
Any ideas? Do I have to carry something special for the QTE to show up?

ironcreed

Banned
OMFG!! Sorry had no idea you could do this! So just stick em basically and then jump down?

Equip the rope dart get, in a tree above an enemy, then press triangle or y and the left stick (click it down) at the same time and you hang them, then drop as you are draping the rope over a branch. Good stuff.

Linius

You win either way of course, but if you go to the tree stand first it tells you how to use the rope dart.

Yeah, I got the first guy with the rope dart. But I choked him with it by holding the y button. I missed the part where they explained how to hang him.

Andrew.

Banned
Around what Sequence do general stores and places unlock to buy maps in order to see collectible locations like almanac pages etc?

Yeah, I got the first guy with the rope dart. But I choked him with it by holding the y button. I missed the part where they explained how to hang him.

Same here, just kept chocking them from above. Also I just found the hunter cabin finally last night after almost giving up. Not sure why they didn't just put that on the map. lol

ironcreed

Banned

Easy to overlook, I guess. It told me what to do on the tree stand. I killed the guy, hopped across some branches, hung the other one, then killed the rest on the ground with melee.

Linius

Same here, just kept chocking them from above. Also I just found the hunter cabin finally last night after almost giving up. Not sure why they didn't just put that on the map. lol

That hunter cabin is somewhere in Homestead right? I haven't been looking for it yet. What exactly can you do there?

They don't? That's going to suck trying to find it on my own in the frontier.

That hunter cabin is somewhere in Homestead right? I haven't been looking for it yet. What exactly can you do there?

I'll give you guys a head up. Best bet in finding it is fast travel to Connors Home Village, head west from the exit. If you have the Fort on the map on the west side, its basically right in the middle of the Fort and Connors Village. Even knowing this it took me awhile. I can see if the icon is there again and try to screencap it and post later tonight if no one else has. As for what you can do, it's another line of missions. First one was to track down a Bear for example.

Andrew.

Banned
Man I am so far behind you guys. Still on Sequence 2 and learning how to eavesdrop on conversations. The slow pace is great, but I do kinda wish I was a little further along. I really want to get to the frontier and start climbing trees.

exYle

Hey guys, can you mark your spoilers by sequence? I'm on Sequence 8, so I'm decently far, but I've accidentally spoiled myself on some late-game assassinations already.

KingK

I am in sequence 9 and still have no idea what I'm supposed to be doing to manage all the Homestead shit. I feel like this is how I'm supposed to be making money, because I keep finding myself low on cash with hunting being my only source of revenue.

How do you get rid of notoriety in the Frontier? Stupid guards are attacking me the moment they see me.
I've been wondering this too.

Top Bottom