• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed III |OT| Easier to read than Ratonhnhaké:ton

JB1981

Ok game is getting much better. Story much presented than ACII IMO

Question - can you no longer catch onto ledges when dropping )

Lima

I am in sequence 9 and still have no idea what I'm supposed to be doing to manage all the Homestead shit. I feel like this is how I'm supposed to be making money, because I keep finding myself low on cash with hunting being my only source of revenue.

They really made this rather complicated.

Build some of the more expensive wood works, war supplies and stuff and trade them with your cargo. Also upgrade the cargos so they can hold more items.

It was kinda overwhelming at first but once you get the hang of it you get a nice steady income every couple minutes.

It was better in the old AC games though. Just taking the money out of the bank once it had been deposited.

I think I just held the R trigger after dropping to catch myself.

I was wondering this as well. I was about to climb a tree (view point) and some guards decided to attack me for nothing. Very annoying :p

Have you tried going to the town, clearing it, and then going back to the frontier?

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
They really made this rather complicated.

Build some of the more expensive wood works, war supplies and stuff and trade them with your cargo. Also upgrade the cargos so they can hold more items.

It was kinda overwhelming at first but once you get the hang of it you get a nice steady income every couple minutes.

It was better in the old AC games though. Just taking the money out of the bank once it had been deposited.
Super confusing and they don't spend nearly enough time on it.

Hell, I've read your post and I'm still confused.

MattDoza

It used to be that you'd just hold B as you dropped. But I've died a couple of times doing that. So I just climb down to a safe distance and then drop.

And (sequence 7)
how do you cross the battlefield without getting hurt
?
Is there a lull in their shooting somewhere? Because the only things I hear are bullets hitting the ground followed by some more 'take cover'!

exYle

And (sequence 7)
how do you cross the battlefield without getting hurt
?
Is there a lull in their shooting somewhere? Because the only things I hear are bullets hitting the ground followed by some more 'take cover'!

When you take cover, look at the rock you're taking cover behind. Bullet will ding off of it. The moment those rounds hit, run for the next cover.

In previous games, when falling, you could grab a ledge simply by pressing O as you fall. You could also aim your grab by holding O and moving the left stick in any direction (Ezio would extend his arms in the direction you pushed).

In this game, however, you MUST aim your grab. If you don't move the left stick, you won't grab anything.

I don't mind the change, but I'm pretty sure the game never mentions this...

Hopefully this helps out some people in this thread

When you take cover, look at the rock you're taking cover behind. Bullet will ding off of it. The moment those rounds hit, run for the next cover.

And on a related note, how do you
infiltrate the camp
unseen afterwards? The moment I touch solid ground I'm detected.

EDIT: Nevermind, I did it. Took the long way around. :lol

I'll give you guys a head up. Best bet in finding it is fast travel to Connors Home Village, head west from the exit. If you have the Fort on the map on the west side, its basically right in the middle of the Fort and Connors Village. Even knowing this it took me awhile. I can see if the icon is there again and try to screencap it and post later tonight if no one else has. As for what you can do, it's another line of missions. First one was to track down a Bear for example.

This might help.
ac3_huntingcabin.jpg

Yup. Almost everything related to the "B"/Circle button from AC2 has been automated, neutered or cut out. In other words, fucked. It sucks.

I miss the "B"/Circle button mechanic for grabbing on to higher ledges as well while climbing tall buildings. Now you just hold up to get to the top :(

In previous games, when falling, you could grab a ledge simply by pressing O as you fall. You could also aim your grab by holding O and moving the left stick in any direction (Ezio would extend his arms in the direction you pushed).

In this game, however, you MUST aim your grab. If you don't move the left stick, you won't grab anything.

I don't mind the change, but I'm pretty sure the game never mentions this...

Hopefully this helps out some people in this thread

Really? I'll try it. Still doesn't make up for most of the other issues have with what used to be the Grab/Free-hand button

Yup. Almost everything related to the "B"/Circle button from AC2 has been automated, neutered or cut out. In other words, fucked. It sucks.

I miss the "B"/Circle button mechanic for grabbing on to higher ledges as well while climbing tall buildings. Now you just hold up to get to the top :(

Really? I'll try it. Still doesn't make up for most of the other issues have with what used to be the Grab/Free-hand button

If you want to grab onto something higher when in a free running sequence hold A. If you want to jump lower of do a shallow jump hold B. When falling and looking for something to grab, while still holding RT move the stick it whatever direct you are looking for, you will see Conner reaching out in whatever direction you choose. I think it is better then previous games.

Draconian

I'm glad I don't give a crap about full synchronization. This game throws a lot of nonsense at you. The objective was to remain undetected and the game decides to spawn enemies in the back of this alley I ventured down without ever putting them on the minimap at all. Total crap as usual, but I expect that from Ubisoft at this point. I am having fun though.

If you want to grab onto something higher when in a free running sequence hold A. If you want to jump lower of do a shallow jump hold B. When falling and looking for something to grab, while still holding RT move the stick it whatever direct you are looking for, you will see Conner reaching out in whatever direction you choose. I think it is better then previous games.

Oh man, you're right about the falling, it has nothing to do with O (B). lol, just keep holding R1 and move the stick. That's easier than I thought.

Okay on the first part of the game
where you locate the guy at the balcony
I press r3 to look at the guy, but nothing seems to happen no matter how many buttons I press.

:( Fuck is going on?

Edit: Nevermind. Got it

I think you're talking about vaulting/sliding above/beneath objects? My issue is with the new freerun stuff is the climbing tower sequences being dumbed down to just holding up. And I don't like the safe freerun concept for anything except running in trees. And while holding a direction while pressing B might be useful in some really super rare cases where you want to hold onto a side wall instead of the wall in front of you, it should auto grab the ledge in front of you.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Somebody explain the combat controls to me, I am stupid and I just can't.

Wait for big red triangle over enemy's head, and press B/Circle to counter him (it doesn't matter if you are facing him or where your analog stick is pointing) then hammer the X/square button until another triangle appears for you to press B/circle again. Use xbox's a or playstations x to kick people that are being too defensive to do anything.

And finally every time you get a kill, your next attack will be an instant kill on the next guard (or 2 or 3 or however many you can chain without being hit or missing).

I've played all the AC games so it wasn't too hard to get back into it, but it still felt like the tutorials in this game are horrible for those that haven't played in a long while. For most of the stuff that changed that I didn't know changed, I didn't figure out until halfway through the game.

ezekial45

Banned
I'm so disappointed in this game. There are some great moments here, but for the most part it's just a drag. I'm in sequence 6 now, and I'm starting to get tired of it. :(

Not only that, the game feels so rough. This game could've used another 6-8 months to cook.

TheOddOne

Wait for big red triangle over enemy's head, and press B/Circle to counter him (it doesn't matter if you are facing him or where your analog stick is pointing) then hammer the X/square button until another triangle appears for you to press B/circle again. Use xbox's a or playstations x to kick people that are being too defensive to do anything.

And finally every time you get a kill, your next attack will be an instant kill on the next guard (or 2 or 3 or however many you can chain without being hit or missing).

I've played all the AC games so it wasn't too hard to get back into it, but it still felt like the tutorials in this game are horrible for those that haven't played in a long while. For most of the stuff that changed that I didn't know changed, I didn't figure out until halfway through the game.
Thanks.

I'm so disappointed in this game. There are some great moments here, but for the most part it's just a drag. I'm in sequence 6 now, and I'm starting to get tired of it. :(

Not only that, the game feels so rough. This game could've used another 6-8 months to cook.

Thats the crazy part. I remember someone from the AC3 team claiming that they could have shipped this game in Spring but they wanted to give it more time to polish it even more and make it feel like AC3.5 or something to that effect. But in fact it feels like they rushed it.

Seeing the final product makes me wish they waited until next gen consoles to release this thing.

I still think the game is pretty darn good but had they not changed what I feel like they've regressed on with the HUD and Controls since AC2/ACB and not had as many bugs it would probably have been a game of the generation type of game for me.

Sillverrr

What's with the few people saying the frame rate's smooth on the PS3 version? Am I playing a different game or something? Other than that, I'm thoroughly enjoying exploring the frontier. Ezio was a wonderfully charismatic lead (can't believe he plays boring Chris in RE), but they needed this change of setting before the malaise set in.

Derrick01

Banned
If they don't botch the PC port up it's going to be amazing. The game already looks really good on PS3 but being able to run through Boston at 60 fps....or even just a steady 30, will feel so much better.

Feel the same so far. Hate sequence 1 »3 the Hatham guy story is boring and the twist was terrible I guessed it about 5 minutes into the boat part.hope Connor is better.so far bring back ezio every game as him was great stay to finish for me!

Encountered quite a few bugs so far As swell flying guns bodies half in buildings.horses that can't run or move. Getting stuck on a rock

Eideka

Banned
What's with the few people saying the frame rate's smooth on the PS3 version? Am I playing a different game or something? Other than that, I'm thoroughly enjoying exploring the frontier. Ezio was a wonderfully charismastic lead, but they needed this change of setting before the malaise set in.

The framerate clearly isn't smooth, anyone telling you otherwise is a liar or does not know how to notice those things.

I experienced frame drops during the Frontier part, I think it must have gone as low as 20fps sometimes.

The PC port will fix this I'm sure. Unless it's horribly optimized.

If they don't botch the PC port up it's going to be amazing. The game already looks really good on PS3 but being able to run through Boston at 60 fps....or even just a steady 30, will feel so much better.
Yeah and dx11 on top of that....

Tesselated water..Uuuuh.

*drool*

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Rented the game, started goin aboots the Americas.

Fucking hating it so far, well done Ubi. I seem to recall ACII had such great momentum during its start, but the stilted stopping and starting of this one is truly terrible.

Not sure if I can be arsed playing it really, I didnt bite into Brotherhood or Revelations as I'm more a casual fan that doesnt want to get bogged down playing something like AC every year, except now it seems like even a new setting a full sequel isnt worth it. Combat already feels even worse, how do they keep managing this?

JB1981

Framerate on PS3 really hasn't bothered me at all. It's a big improvement on previous titles that's for sure! I don't know how anybody could say the combat is worse than ACII. It's much better in every way, as is the use of stealth. A lot of the game doesn't feel too fresh, unfortunately, since I have already played Red Dead Redemption and already explored the frontier and foraged for food and hunted game.

The clue system is kind of lame and do I REALLY need to start tearing down Wanted signs again? ?????

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I was doing some of the Frontiersmen missions to investigate stuff like
the Kraken and a UFO
, which brought me to outside areas of Boston. The framerate is so damn smooth there, if the PC port is anywhere half decent the game will look amazing holding up like that through the city.

Yeah, and I am hoping for higher poly characters too. I doubt that will happen though. At first I thought it was just the faces in the cutscenes. But looking at the ingame Conner compared to the one in cutscenes, you can tell that there is lower poly count over the entire model.

That's not to say that the cutscenes aren't "ingame" they were just rendered separately in the engine.

Framerate on PS3 really hasn't bothered me at all. It's a big improvement on previous titles that's for sure! I don't know how anybody could say the combat is worse than ACII. It's much better in every way, as is the use of stealth

Yes, I feel that it is easier to notice if you do the majority of your gaming on a computer. If you play other console games more, its pretty standard framerate and something most people are just use to.

I was doing some of the Frontiersmen missions to investigate stuff like
the Kraken and a UFO
, which brought me to outside areas of Boston. The framerate is so damn smooth there, if the PC port is anywhere half decent the game will look amazing holding up like that through the city.

I noticed as well going to the edge of docks or swimming out to a boat you can really see the frame increase.

Derrick01

Banned
Framerate on PS3 really hasn't bothered me at all. It's a big improvement on previous titles that's for sure! I don't know how anybody could say the combat is worse than ACII. It's much better in every way, as is the use of stealth.

This game probably has the worst use of stealth of all time. If you're going to have missions where you have 0 room for error you need to have a game with tight and responsive controls which this series has never had.

Zeliard

The PC version will obviously look and run a million times better just like the previous AC games did, but it's not going to do anything about the lame auto-combat, which is my biggest beef with the game and the series as a whole. The AC series is remarkably non-challenging even by the low standards of AAA games this generation.

JB1981

This game probably has the worst use of stealth of all time. If you're going to have missions where you have 0 room for error you need to have a game with tight and responsive controls which this series has never had.

all i'm saying is it's an improvement on previous games. which stealth sections did you think were hard? i have only made it to sequence 5 and there was a few stealth sections that, honestly, were not that hard at all.

the AI in this game is atrocious though. they never react to what is going on around them. this is one area where ubi's open world games are a huge downgrade from what Rockstar does. the world in red dead redemption/gta is so alive because of the AI.

Derrick01

Banned
The PC version will obviously look and run a million times better just like the previous AC games did, but it's not going to do anything about the lame auto-combat, which is my biggest beef with the game and the series as a whole. The AC series is remarkably non-challenging even by the low standards of AAA games this generation.

Yeah I really wish they could make it more tactical and challenging. They'd probably have to remove the counter button altogether for a start.

all i'm saying is it's an improvement on previous games. which stealth sections did you think were hard? i have only made it to sequence 5 and there was a few stealth sections that, honestly, were not that hard at all.

I struggled with the 2 main story ones up to that point because I was constantly battling the awful controls and wonky AI. He kept stumbling into phantom ledges and wanting to climb every single thing.

Zeliard

Yeah I really wish they could make it more tactical and challenging. They'd probably have to remove the counter button altogether for a start.

I think an even bigger problem is the kill streak stuff they introduced in Brotherhood. You kill one enemy and you can keep chaining it till there is nothing left but a pile of bodies around you, and if enemies try to attack you during the chain, you have slow-mo parrying.

Chase in sequence 12 is one of the worst and clunkiest things I have ever played.

All of the Chase sequences are bad. Timing is way tighter on them than previous games, and the tackle mechanic just seems jankier than previous games (at least to me). I'd end up running into the target a couple of times before the tackle finally initiated. Not only that but I don't think they ever tutorialize the tackling so if you haven't played a previous AC game you're probably wondering WTF are you supposed to do.

demolitio

I miss the old synchronization sounds from the previous games. This one just doesn't give me that peaceful music to accompany the awe-inspiring views. It just felt so amazing doing something simple.

Online STILL doesn't work for me. My 360 gets to "Uplay Passport detection" and the whole box just freezes up.

This is huge problem and a lot of people are experiencing it, one potential fix is deleting uplay passport file from the AC3 folder on your HDD, that worked for me... until the servers went down altogether.

This is a shit show.

Kingsora

Would rather have no penis than have to show his to a medical professional
Fuck this I am ready to just give up on this game.

I am at sequence 08
where you have to chase Thomas Hickey, but whatever I do, I just can't finish it. If I use my knives I get game over because I killed him. But if I use my fists he just bumps in to the dude, but never knocks him down and I just don't get the cutscene.

Someone help? :(

Top Bottom