• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed III |OT| Easier to read than Ratonhnhaké:ton

All of the Chase sequences are bad. Timing is way tighter on them than previous games, and the tackle mechanic just seems jankier than previous games (at least to me). I'd end up running into the target a couple of times before the tackle finally initiated. Not only that but I don't think they ever tutorialize the tackling so if you haven't played a previous AC game you're probably wondering WTF are you supposed to do.

Fuck this I am ready to just give up on this game.

I am at sequence 08
where you have to chase Thomas Hickey, but whatever I do, I just can't finish it. If I use my knives I get game over because I killed him. But if I use my fists he just bumps in to the dude, but never knocks him down and I just don't get the cutscene.

Someone help? :(

I am Nostradamus lol.

(Hit the B/Circle Button while chasing him to tackle)

Balphon

Yeah I really wish they could make it more tactical and challenging. They'd probably have to remove the counter button altogether for a start..

Counters were alright in AC1 where they weren't one-hit kills unless you were using the hidden blade, in which case you couldn't block. I seem to remember them being harder to do, as well.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
I played through this glitchy crappy mess for the story, and was sorely disappointed.

No idea what the fuck happened, but somehow between Brotherhood and this one they lost their way.

Anyone else have fun with the horse out in the wilderness? And pointless running to the next main mission?

rvy

Banned
Finished it. 7/10, clunkiest game from the saga and certainly one of the clunkiest I have ever played.
Some moments of brilliance, but they're quickly overshadowed by the jank and clunky mechanics. Unfortunate. Also had no idea what was going on with the storyline, I stopped caring when they introduced nonsense in AC II.
Nice to see that the CGI movie from AC II had absolutely no relevance in the storyline, as far as I can tell. Seems like an extra more than anything.

+1 for the delayed crowd. This should have never passed QA.

Bring on Halo 4. I can't stand unpolished games.

Btw, lol @ credits roll. How many studios worked on this? It really shows. Such a disjointed mess.

Fuck this I am ready to just give up on this game.

I am at sequence 08
where you have to chase Thomas Hickey, but whatever I do, I just can't finish it. If I use my knives I get game over because I killed him. But if I use my fists he just bumps in to the dude, but never knocks him down and I just don't get the cutscene.

Someone help? :(

It is weird because previous games have trained everyone to think that you just have to chase behind him and you will be able to catch up. The trick is to actually try cutting him off by cutting through alleys and shit. Then as soon as you get close spam that tackle button. lol.

Eideka

Banned
I'm pleasantly surprised to see that critical thinking is still a thing among gaming circles.

I was expecting an endless flow of praise devoid of any criticism, glad that's not the case.

As for myself, well I'm only 4 hours into the game and I enjoy it thoroughly.

I'm pleasantly surprised to see that critical thinking is still a thing among gaming circles.

I was expecting an endless flow of praise devoid of any criticism, glad that's not the case.

That's because the game is out now.
We're only irrational when we can't get a copy. See the "Uncharted 3 Review" thread.
It's comedy gold.

Eideka

Banned
That's because the game is out now.
We're only irrational when we can't get a copy. See the "Uncharted 3 Review" thread.
It's comedy gold.

Yeah I remember the outrage over the 8/10 review....Sony fanboys completely out of their minds that day, apoplexy all around.
Very entertaining though. :D

This is NeoGAF, dude.

Storywise, I have to say, I'm really interested in the whole First Civilization thing. Hoping it doesn't take a nosedive at the end.

Connor's story is okay, but I think I'm gonna need a replay to really appreciate it. I'm not American, so a lot of those names from the first few sequences were lost on me, and when they came back later I was kinda lost. But man, Connor is just an unlikeable jerk, isn't he?

rvy

Banned

Why some reviews rate this game above 7 is weird to me. Yeah, sure, it has high production values, but that's pretty meaningless when there's so much crap and bad mechanics.

steven28

Really enjoying this game...just to say something about the comments that the game is rough..i'm in sequence 5 and the game has run perfectly so far(playing on the 360)the graphics are amazing especially the frontier section with all the trees,waterfalls and greenery..all i have noticed is a couple of glitched animals,maybe as i progress more i will notice more glitches,but up until now it's been great.

Sentenza

Why some reviews rate this game above 7 is weird to me. Yeah, sure, it has high production values, but that's pretty meaningless when there's so much crap and bad mechanics.
Put in this way it sounds like any previous chapter in the saga, to me.

Tess3ract

Banned
Because reviewers only rate things on an academia level, it's fucking stupid.

5 is average, not 7. If a game isn't higher than 8 it doesn't mean it's shit. UGH!

rvy

Banned

Sure, but the others were more focused games. This is trying to please everyone and it can't. On top of that, it's very, very clunky. Moreso than the previous games.
The "AC" parts of the game work though, most of the time (chase sequences being the exception). Most of the added stuff doesn't, except tree-running and hunting.

Marcel

Is there a story/mission-based unlock for Artisan leveling? I'm on Sequence 7 and the Woodworker and Innkeepers are still only level 1 despite doing a few sidemissions for the former. Google searching yields...not very good information.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA

Absolutely. I love AC 2 by the end of it and looking back, but I grew just as frustrated with it. I don't know why people decided AC 3 is where they stopped putting up with it. All the bugs and problems with AC 3 are here. All the stupid storyline stuff has been there since the ending of the first game.

I enjoy 3 just because it's been so long since I've played one of these, but they have NEVER been about great gameplay. The AC series to me is just a piece on how pretty of a world they can make. I never jump into it solely for the gameplay, and this is coming from someone who loves GTA 4.
Sure, but the others were more focused games. This is trying to please everyone and it can't. On top of that, it's very, very clunky. Moreso than the previous games.

It's clunky in the exact same ways. The only real difference is that combat has you taking more hits, but you've got way more HP so it's not even a problem. I still get all the previous AC problems. I still jump off walls that I didn't want to, I still leap diagonally sometimes for no reason instead of forward, and I'm still fucked by the controls and camera whenever it comes to running away from alerts.

The only real negative this has over any other AC game is that they try to push stealth more with the low bushes, and it's not a good stealth game. It wasn't one in the Leonardo's Machines missions in ... Brotherhood? Or was it 2? And it's still not one now. They need to stop trying to make it 'stealthy gameplay' because the engine simply cannot do it. It's too delayed.

Zeliard

It's an Assassin's Creed game through-and-through, with the good (setting and scope), the bad (lack of challenge, poor plotting), and the inconsistent (characters). The side stuff is at least a bit better this time around.

I've never had a problem with the controls in an AC game. It's always felt responsive enough to me. The bigger problem is that the controls aren't in the service of any sort of gameplay challenge. Everything is too overpowered and the enemies are completely harmless.

rvy

Banned
Absolutely. I love AC 2 by the end of it and looking back, but I grew just as frustrated with it. I don't know why people decided AC 3 is where they stopped putting up with it. All the bugs and problems with AC 3 are here. All the stupid storyline stuff has been there since the ending of the first game.

I enjoy 3 just because it's been so long since I've played one of these, but they have NEVER been about great gameplay. The AC series to me is just a piece on how pretty of a world they can make. I never jump into it solely for the gameplay, and this is coming from someone who loves GTA 4.

It's clunky in the exact same ways. The only real difference is that combat has you taking more hits, but you've got way more HP so it's not even a problem. I still get all the previous AC problems. I still jump off walls that I didn't want to, I still leap diagonally sometimes for no reason instead of forward, and I'm still fucked by the controls and camera whenever it comes to running away from alerts.

The only real negative this has over any other AC game is that they try to push stealth more with the low bushes, and it's not a good stealth game. It wasn't one in the Leonardo's Machines missions in ... Brotherhood? Or was it 2? And it's still not one now. They need to stop trying to make it 'stealthy gameplay' because the engine simply cannot do it. It's too delayed.

Never played the ACII sequels, so I don't know about those. But a lot of the stuff feels more clunky to me, and even if it isn't clunkier, it should be better than the previous games. But it isn't, it sucks as much if not more.

SJRB

Gold Member
I have no idea what is going on in Sequence 6.

I travel to Boston to stop the sale of my village's land, end up blowing up tea, killing entire groups of tax collectors for no reason and causing riots getting innocent people killed. Why is this happening, exactly?

Also, Stephane is a fucking psycho, why is this man suddenly my Assassin recruit? Connor isn't an Assassin for more than a week at this point in the game, why is he recruiting an army, specifically? And he chooses Stephane because he "has a way to talk to the people"? Smart thinking Connor, did you forget he just butchered a man in the middle of the street? That entire cutscene was super disturbing, especially when that guy is lying on the ground with a fucking meat cleaver lobbed in his torso gasping for air and Connor comes into frame and whispers to Stephane to "end his suffering quickly" or something.

I can only play for about 1.5 hours a day so maybe my sessions are too fragmented to keep track of what is going on, but I think I'll just leave this fucking city and go hunt in the Frontier to ease my mind or something.

Ambitious

So now I've got the same problem in NY as in Boston: I'm missing one liberation mission but there's no icon on the map. So far I've had many map glitches in general, like icons which suddenly appear or disappear.

About one of the later homestead missions:
So Myriam went missing and I was supposed to find clues about her whereabouts. I just opened the map, saw her icon, went there. No cutscene started and I couldn't talk to her, she just kept wandering around. Then I saw the yellow goal marker on the map, right in the mansion. Had to went all the way back just to find the clues and go look for her again. This is bullshit.

rvy

Banned
Somehow I think the game is going to be a lot better now that I've finished all the main missions and can just explore, hunt stuff and help out NPCs.

So now I've got the same problem in NY as in Boston: I'm missing one liberation mission but there's no icon on the map. So far I have many map glitches in general, like icons which suddenly appear or disappear.

Yeah I'm guessing they did this on purpose. Cause the same thing happened to me. I had to find the one in Boston. Was my last one too.

Somehow I think the game is going to be a lot better now that I've finished all the main missions and can just explore, hunt stuff and help out NPCs.

You'll change your mind about the game after you get to the real meat which is the side content.

I was in the same boat as you because the main campaign is design so linear you barely use any of the games mechanics, and now you can finally play around with it which changes a lot about the game.

Any one else having problems getting animations to activate. The Human Shield against firing lines works maybe 25% of the time, and picking up people to take them to the doctor works maybe 1 out of 5 times. I think this is my biggest problem with the game, the free running in the frontier is amazing, but I have more issues with it in the city than I ever have.

Combat's a little weird too, what are you supposed to do when you: can't break defense, get hit when you do a regular attack, and get hit when you counter? Am I missing something?

ironcreed

Banned
This a hundred times over. Ubisoft needs to take the team responsible for the naval stuff and spin them off into their own game. Best part of the game so far.

Indeed. I want a pirate game full of battles on the high seas, rum, wenches and islands to plunder. YARRRR, MATEY!!!! I am really surprised how great the controls actually are for this.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I can't imagine I'm spoiling anything just by mentioning the historical figure here, and I don't want to tag it to make people think it's worse than it is

How the fuck am I supposed to get to the tunnel with Samuel Adams? Every way in is blocked off by guys, and Samuel Adams is too much of a drunk to climb anything. I kill one of the guards, and King George casts summon greater redcoats and a million appear and never stop coming.

Any one else having problems getting animations to activate. The Human Shield against firing lines works maybe 25% of the time, and picking up people to take them to the doctor works maybe 1 out of 5 times. I think this is my biggest problem with the game, the free running in the frontier is amazing, but I have more issues with it in the city than I ever have.

Combat's a little weird too, what are you supposed to do when you: can't break defense, get hit when you do a regular attack, and get hit when you counter? Am I missing something?

The only thing I can say about this game about it's polish is the animation. If you're on the 360 everytime I press A near an enemy I was able to block fire every time, and it feels great.

As for the combat, its due to enemy type. Big guys and officers you have to disarm, dagger guys you wait to counter, and everyone else you can kill like flies.

Do a disarm and then follow up with an attack.

rvy

Banned
You'll change your mind about the game after you get to the real meat which is the side content.

I was in the same boat as you because the main campaign is design so linear you barely use any of the games mechanics, and now you can finally play around with it which changes a lot about the game.

I hope so. I love some of the stuff in the game. The campaign has some shining moments, but really mediocre overall.

Born Free in AC 3 (Gamespot video)
Johnny and Danny take to the American woodlands to live as one with the animals.

This was pretty funny.

ibg8kqEcxCgECd.jpg

No, I think Connor just had OCD.

SJRB

Gold Member
I can't imagine I'm spoiling anything just by mentioning the historical figure here, and I don't want to tag it to make people think it's worse than it is

How the fuck am I supposed to get to the tunnel with Samuel Adams? Every way in is blocked off by guys, and Samuel Adams is too much of a drunk to climb anything. I kill one of the guards, and King George casts summon greater redcoats and a million appear and never stop coming.

That mission has severe scripting issues. What I did was move to the waypoint myself, walk to a side without rooftop guards and just climb up the house, jump down on the other side and enter the building. Adams cannot follow so he'll try to walk around and get in a fight with the guards. You basically have to move to the building and trigger the mission before Adams gets killed.

Be careful because when you exit the building you'll bump into two guards who are standing in front of the door for no reason and you'll automatically get into a huge brawl.

The whole thing is one big clusterfuck.

Man, I'm tempted to buy it after seeing all the good reviews, but I've been disappointed by Revelations a lot (after loving Brotherhood)...
How does the game fare compared to its predecessors ? (hated 1, loved 2 & Brotherhood, didn't like Revelations)

Ghost23

Man, I'm tempted to buy it after seeing all the good reviews, but I've been disappointed by Revelations a lot (after loving Brotherhood)...
How does the game fare compared to its predecessors ? (hated 1, loved 2 & Brotherhood, didn't like Revelations)

I was in the same situation as you, and I'm loving it so far (I'm finishing sequence 2).

FStop7

Banned
This a hundred times over. Ubisoft needs to take the team responsible for the naval stuff and spin them off into their own game. Best part of the game so far.

Give me an open world action RPG set in the Age of Sail using that combat system. Use the Assassin's Creed free running system for things like scaling the masts and launching boarding parties.

Play as a privateer, a military ship of the line, a yankee trader, etc.

JB1981

Just climb on top of the building, Sam will walk past the guards and then you jump down

Top Bottom