• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed III |OT| Easier to read than Ratonhnhaké:ton

Linius

So much good content. :D Your in for a treat!

I believe so. Prolly I will find out that some things in the main story would have been easier if I would have done some side stuff. I know I had that feel when I was doing all the side missions in Arkham City and got some great rewards for it :p

spootime

Worst game in the series - I'd give it a 4/10.

1.Story - Not really spoilers here but ill spoiler just in case
it is FUCKING AWFUL - Connor is the WORST protagonist in the series so far. He has like five minutes of dialogue in the entire game - and it is 99% bitching at the master dude. If you told me the ending of this series six months ago I wouldn't have believed you

2. Gitches - This game is unbelievably janky. Personal highlights include my horse getting stuck on a stone 15 meters away from my objective, then having to restart checkpoint and walk back for 15 minutes, or GETTING STUCK IN A MOUNTAIN in the ship. There's texture pop-in all over the place in this game. I never really felt like I needed to go to the shop in this game either - I used a grand total of zero rope darts in the campaign (keep in mind I rush through AC games and skip all the frontier stuff - maybe this is my fault.)

3.Sequence 12 was one of the most frustrating moments I've ever had playing single player games. ALL the chase sequences are just boring. Combat is only fun when you get the rare double kill cinematic or you blast a dude in the face. Honestly.. none of the missions in this game stand out to me at all. I'll always remember that mission in AC1 where you stab the doctor, or the one in AC2 with the parachute. This game has none of that.

Overall, incredibly disappointing - highlights being the (mostly) amazing naval stuff and using a motherfucking tomahawk.

Hobohodo

Took me around 11 hours to wrap up the main story, buy that is pretty much all I did for those 11 hours. Spent some time wandering around the frontier today, that place is just so much fun to explore.

Linius

Took me around 11 hours to wrap up the main story, buy that is pretty much all I did for those 11 hours. Spent some time wandering around the frontier today, that place is just so much fun to explore.

That's pretty fast man. Then you must have rushed trough and trough?

Currently playing this on PS3 and the frame rate is poor. It's so aggy and choppy. Not smooth at all!

Yeah regretting my decision for getting it for the ps3. Is the 360 like this too?

I dont know what game you guys are playing but the performance is much improved over the previous entries for me. Theres absolutely ZERO tearing as well. DF analysis proved the framerate was much improved and that both versions were pretty much the same.

JB1981

After completing the first 4 or 5 sequences, the game is finally starting to pick up and I'm having a good time. Naval battles are lots of fun!

Yes was fun, amazing tech on display

The framerate in sequence 6 gets bad at times. I had about 20 guards chasing me and the game was just getting crushed

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I really, really enjoy the homestead stuff.

Like, it's not any different gameplay wise, but I just like the idea behind it. A lot more than Ezio's city thing.

This game is great! I'm almost through Sequence 5, but I've spent a lot of time collecting Almanac pages and exploring Boston. Haven't even really dug into the Frontier yet.

Connor is a bit monotone, though honestly I'm cool with it. The English he speaks is very proper, and all the characters around him are incredibly interesting. The naval battles are awesome, I didn't expect to enjoy them as much as I have.

Carbonox

Customizing Connor fucking sucks. I'm on Sequence 7 and there's what, 3 alternative outfits (that you can't even see until you buy them, and they don't show in cutscenes) and a couple of shitty weapons for purchase (in Boston as that's the only damn place I can find a single measly shop that sells anything)? Terrible. I can understand not having armor because no one wore armor in those days compared with Ezio's days, but still, there must be some decent form of customization for Connor? I loved spending money on various shops for Ezio. The economic and shop system was a billion times better in the Ezio trilogy.

Please tell me it gets better in this regard?

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Why is it that when I'm being taught how to use a human shield for the first time, I press X (PS3) and nothing happens? Is the tutorial text wrong?

So far this game is pretty dismal, I have to say. It feels like shit, possible worse than the ones before it, and this series has always felt sluggish. I've heard people say it's a slow start, and I like most of what's going on outside of gameplay, so I'll keep at it.

Also, it's shocking how rampant the glitches are in mission after mission.

Ambitious

Is it actually possible to enable the fast travel points in the cities from above the surface? Because I've been roaming those damn underground tunnels for the last 30 minutes.

My favorite glitch so far: I got discovered right after entering a fort through the front gate, so I ran back out and jumped into a hay cart. The cart was attempting to go through the front gate, but as all the soldiers came running out looking for me, it simply went around them - and clipped right through the walls. It then tried to get back on it's programmed path and went through the walls again, with me still inside.

ezekial45

Banned
It froze during a mission for me. >_<

I think I'm taking a break from this game. It's just so off. I've been a big fan of the series, but this is just so much of chore to play.

Draconian

It works everytime for me. Are you sure you guys are next to an enemy and press A or X before they fire? You need to see the yellow triangle on their heads.

Yeah it's the tutorial where it pauses it for you. I hit A and nothing happens; then I get pelted by multiple musket shots.

Yeah it's the tutorial where it pauses it for you. I hit A and nothing happens; then I get pelted by multiple musket shots.

It's the tutorial. The game pauses and tells you what to do while an enemy is right next to you.

One of my biggest gripes about this game is going to come up.

A lot of the tutorial missions for some reason have too many specific requirements, and you guys probably are hitting one. The timing of pressing the button must have been weird, but I can't remember.

JB1981

It's the same way on 360. I played through that this morning and it doesn't work.

It works just fine. It took a while for me to figure it out as well but it does work. It is context sensitive. You can only use a human shield when the guards light up yellow and are ready to fire. At that point just tap X/A by the nearest guard and you enter human shield mode. I have pulled it off multiple times now

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I really like the variable framerate on the PS3 version. I know it tanks in the cities but in the frontier and in other areas it's so incredibly smooth. Sequence 4 was sooo nice.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
It works just fine. It took a while for me to figure it out as well but it does work. It is context sensitive. You can only use a human shield when the guards light up yellow and are ready to fire. At that point just tap X/A by the nearest guard and you enter human shield mode. I have pulled it off multiple times now

Yes, that's exactly what I'm doing. It sets up the situation for you. I'll continue to try it.

JB1981

Also to chain attacks you have to make sure the next guard you want to attack is outlined in white. Tap X and Connor will continue his attack to the next guard. I have only played ACII in its entirety and I do think the controls have been improved, both free running and combat

It bothers me how they have to constantly show you the optional mission objectives.

Doing an early Connor mission, and I failed one of the optional objectives almost immediately. The text turned red on my screen, and just stayed there for the entirety of the mission. It just made me feel like a failure that for that entire mission, even though I'd only failed one of the optional objectives.

I hate what optional objectives have become. AC2 didn't have them at all, and in Brotherhood they were at least unobtrusive. I can't speak for Revelations as I didn't play it. But in this game, the optional objectives are everywhere and they're annoying. Just design the mission the way you want it in the first place, and don't force all this "optional" stuff on me if you're going to make me feel like shit if I don't complete it all.

Holy Shit, I feel the exact same way. I wish they'd do like Dishonored did and let me choose what I want to see on the HUD as it is, the HUD is so busy and crowded. I'd like freedom of choice. Instead, Ubisoft has the control.

Also, this is some of the sloppiest stealth in a stealth game I've played in a while. I know this is supposed to be more action focused, but the series was supposed to be about social stealth. No longer. Why have I yet to get a crouch button? I just want to crouch behind a damn barrel. Or wall. Not just bushes.

Unless the game takes a massive turn south in the second half I really don't understand the people who're saying this game is terrible. I just don't see it.

Petrichor

Also to chain attacks you have to make sure the next guard you want to attack is outlined in white. Tap X and Connor will continue his attack to the next guard. I have only played ACII in its entirety and I do think the controls have been improved, both free running and combat

I wholeheartedly disagree with you. AC2 took a while to get used to but once you got the hang of the "human puppeteer" control scheme concept it was functional and reliable for the most part.

On the other hand I've played 20 hours of AC3 and still feel like the control scheme is conspiring against me. The combat in particular is absolutely appalling - in large scale battles the animations slow down considerably making the primarily timing-based combat system almost impossible.

Unless the game takes a massive turn south in the second half I really don't understand the people who're saying this game is terrible. I just don't see it.

It does. The story completely falls apart (conor's in particular) and missions are made more difficult by having ridiculously stringent requirements rather than being well-designed, the final chase sequence in particular will have you all tearing your hair out.

I've never had a problem with the controls in an AC game. It's always felt responsive enough to me. The bigger problem is that the controls aren't in the service of any sort of gameplay challenge. Everything is too overpowered and the enemies are completely harmless.

Seriously? You've never accidentally run up a wall 3 times and lost a target in a chase? Or missed a jump by a nano-degree and jumped off the edge of a cliff to your death? Or had the game force you to jump from a cover spot for no reason? Or any of the other innumerable, annoying fucking things that are easy to do by accident with the overly automated, imprecise control scheme?

rvy

Banned
Game does get a lot better indeed after you finish the campaign. It feels like an AC game with a bunch of mission variety. Really cool.

Top Bottom