• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed III |OT| Easier to read than Ratonhnhaké:ton

Yanksfan

Checked out the last 100 or so posts and didn't see this asked, so I am tossing this out there even though I am sure it has been asked..

I have played the whole series up until Revelations. I own both Revelations and AC3. I would prefer to jump into AC3 and catch up on Revelations later on. However, I don't want to miss out on anything big. For those that have played Revelations, what would be the recommendation?

Vire

Wow the game really drastically improves once you get past Sequence 3.

4 and on has been the game I've been waiting for.

A bit relieved!

N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member
Checked out the last 100 or so posts and didn't see this asked, so I am tossing this out there even though I am sure it has been asked..

I have played the whole series up until Revelations. I own both Revelations and AC3. I would prefer to jump into AC3 and catch up on Revelations later on. However, I don't want to miss out on anything big. For those that have played Revelations, what would be the recommendation?

You could catch up on Revelations on Youtube. If you're going to do that, don't forget to watch the Lost Archives too.

Zeliard

yeah i really, really regret splooging early because the console version has some of the most hideous pop up and shit ever in history

But there really is a lot to love of this game. My happiest bit is that they really have culled a lot from history, and have been reasonably respectful to it. For example when you meet and talk to Benjamin Franklin, he goes on his
theory about how old women are far more preferable in bed than young women
. As many people here probably know, it's culled pretty much word for word from a letter Benjamin Franklin wrote to Cadwallader Colden.. Little touches like this are exactly what I wanted for my history fix, and it's why I can ignore the shit overarching stories in these games. I do enjoy the period atmosphere so much.

The setting is awesome. I think they nailed it perfectly. But it's also no surprise as the historical settings to me have always been the strongest part about Assassin's Creed, and the reason I keep going back to the series despite the misgivings I have about some of its other elements.

Amir0x

Banned
The setting is awesome. I think they nailed it perfectly. But it's also no surprise as the setting to me has always been the strongest part about Assassin's Creed, and the reason I keep going back to the series despite the misgivings I have about some of its other elements.

yup. There's really a lot of fun hidden things in the game that call back the setting well. I think it's pretty well done from that perspective

maybe the next AC game will be another AC 1 to AC 2 situation... where AC 1 laid the ground work but was pretty wonky and unpolished and just sort of conceptual, and AC 2 took the foundation and make it into something lasting and grand.

Since AC3 is a new engine, maybe the next AC game will be totally all fleshed out to the max.

Couple hours in... how the hell do I feel confused by this game so far? I've played every entry and platinum'd two of them, but damn, this is doing a terrible job of running you through new controls/buttons and such.

Jrmint

Just started Sequence 6, couple quick questions.

Why is my hood not up and is there a way I can make it so he's wearing the hood? Looks kinda silly with it down.

How can I see how much money I have in my inventory? I went into the accounting book, but did not see the option.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
All I care about this game is how is the story? I want a crazy ass fucking mindshit story like there was in ACII, does this game live up to that?

Has anyone had issues with the MP disc for 360 freezing after you press start? I put in the disc and it freezes. Anyone else had this problem?

Yanksfan

You could catch up on Revelations on Youtube. If you're going to do that, don't forget to watch the Lost Archives too.

Appreciate the response, but I should have mentioned I do not want to do that. If the story needs to be experienced before AC3, then I will play Revelations first.

Vire

All I care about this game is how is the story? I want a crazy ass fucking mindshit story like there was in ACII, does this game live up to that?

So far Conner's story is perfectly reasonable and fairly well done. I haven't done much Desmond stuff though, so I can't answer that part. It could get pretty stupid later on so who knows. (I'm in Sequence 6 now)

Why is my hood not up and is there a way I can make it so he's wearing the hood? Looks kinda silly with it down.

How can I see how much money I have in my inventory? I went into the accounting book, but did not see the option.

I believe his hood is down every time he enters the homestead.

Amir0x

Banned
New engine? It's modified, I thought. Why on earth would they, in the same generation with proven effectiveness start over?

I don't know if it's a new generation or just a modified version of the old, but they call this one "Anvil Next" so I assumed it was more new than old

this video says "radically redesigned", so I don't know

maybe it's like version 2.0 of the engine...

cackhyena

I don't know if it's a new generation or just a modified version of the old, but they call this one "Anvil Next" so I assumed it was more new than old

I know they say animations were from the ground up again, but a whole new engine would be a cost completely unnecessary. Milking it for all it's worth, tweaking it best as they can and giving it a newer name sounds like the UBI I know. But honestly, it's just smarter. Go big, fresh and new next gen.

Your money count is right beside your minimap.

The Lamp

Watched my friend play the 360 version. The tree running looked smooth and the graphics were quite good. Especially the frontier. Didn't notice many framerate hiccups. There was a bug with a deer perpetually running in place inside a rock, but other than that, I haven't noticed anything that people were complaining about performance wise with this game.

Excited for the PC version.

Rebecca looks like she got punched in the face after botox treatment though.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I love the historical stuff. If Ubi just dumped the main story stuff, I wouldn't care. I wasn't so opposed to it when it was only a little bit sci-fi, but now that they do all this END OF THE WORLD stuff...

As soon as I get out of the Animus, I want to go back in. No, Shaun, I don't want to hear your stupid e-mails. No, I don't want to talk to Juno(who might be the second ugliest NPC of the year next to the wife from Medal of Honor Warfighter), and no, I don't want to find crap around the area.

The
sky crane mission
was kind of cool though.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
SO much content in this game.

Just got to Sequence 8. How many sequences are in this game? I feel like I'm getting closer to the end, and I've done so much side stuff but there's still so much to go and I've only just reached
New York

The Desmond missions are an incredibly nice change of pace because
they add an immense amount of tension, urgency, and quick thinking that is not required in the game otherwise. I'm talking about the Brazil one specifically. It forced me to use intuition a bit more to get around and was less hand-holdy. As a result made me feel a lot more badass and capable for handling those situations more independently, much more satisfying

That said this game gets so much better in it's later sequences thus far. Sequences 7 and 8 have been the sex thus far.

I was already only doing side content, and I came across a random mission RDR style.
Took me 8 hours in the frontier to get one, but I like it mainly because it's unexpected. More developers should have random events thrown in even after hours of play.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Sooooo much time being spent in Sequence 6 for me. This is very likely to be my favorite AC in the series at this rate, I've never had this much fun just moving around the world before.

Zeliard

I love the historical stuff. If Ubi just dumped the main story stuff, I wouldn't care. I wasn't so opposed to it when it was only a little bit sci-fi, but now that they do all this END OF THE WORLD stuff...

As soon as I get out of the Animus, I want to go back in. No, Shaun, I don't want to hear your stupid e-mails.

Yeah the contrast between the modern day and historical stuff in these games is massive, in both the quality of the characters and the setting. I wouldn't want a modern day/futuristic Assassin's Creed if it's gonna be anything like what we've seen so far. Even visually it's totally bland and uninspired.

And the database items are so much better when that doofus Shaun isn't interjecting his terrible quips into them. I don't mind the informal nature of them but the jokes are bad and it's just so overdone.

Stark

Banned
SO much content in this game.

Just got to Sequence 8. How many sequences are in this game? I feel like I'm getting closer to the end, and I've done so much side stuff but there's still so much to go and I've only just reached
New York

There are 12 sequences in total.

Why do people post stuff in spoiler tags without saying where in the game the spoiler takes place? That way I still can't check the spoiler because I dunno what's it about :p
This bugs the shit out of me too. I'm about halfway through and I think I've been spoiled on the ending when someone said Holy Shit "spoiler" was stupid. I can believe that happened.

I had no clue as to what point of the game he was talking about and kind of fucked up my game now.

POINT IS: If your gonna spoiler, at least put how far into the game you are.

Neverfade

Need help on sequence 2. Not really a spoiler but i'll darken it anyway:

I need to get Church, and I'm right at the section after eavesdropping. I have to go into a restricted area with Lee. The game prompts you to tell Lee to get into a hiding spot, but when I do this and go to the objective, I'll desync from being too far away. Where the hell do I hide this useless chode?

Finished Sequence 5.

Finally things are starting to get going.

Fun so far but I'm not sure I like Conner. He is a bit bland and just doesnt have nearly as much character as Ezio but there is still plenty of game so maybe he will develop more.

Plus Ezio's reasons to becoming a Assassin kind of made sense in the world. His Dad was a Assassin and had family connections to the order while Conner
was told to become a Assassin by a magic bird. I mean really? That kind of made me hate the First Civ.

I think could have come up with a better story reason for it. I guess I can see what they where trying to do but it was still a bit silly.

Why do people post stuff in spoiler tags without saying where in the game the spoiler takes place? That way I still can't check the spoiler because I dunno what's it about :p
Yes plz.

Also regarding homestead missions:
Are there more homestead missions after Achilles dies?

Spoiler has little to do with homestead missions, and everything to do with Connor's story.
And a part I haven't gotten to :(

Zeliard

while Conner
was told to become a Assassin by a magic bird. I mean really? That kind of made me hate the First Civ.

I enjoyed that part, seemed appropriate enough. Also one of the most visually awesome moments in the game. It's gonna look majestic on PC.

Amir0x

Banned
i haven't looked at every glitch in this game others have experienced, but am I the only one getting bamboozled by the game in Cowboy Checkers?

Every time I have a spot where I can connect three and take a piece from my opponent, the game won't let me place my piece. Every time my opponent has a shot to make a Mill, no problem!

The game allows me to highlight to spot as if I could take it, it's in blue, not red, it's empty... it's in a line of three... but it won't let me place the piece?!

Cheating freakin' game..

Edit: Oh, I then have to select the opponents piece I want to take to FINISH the move

christ that was awkward

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
Can't fast travel to NY, do I have to complete something else first? On Seq 8.

Man, the Naval Battles are so friggin' intense. Ubisoft nailed that part completely.

Bladenic

Sequence 2, right after you go to talk to the surgeon (I think?). Yeah... Snooze fest so far. Also you guys were not exaggerating with the clipping issues, it's absolutely insane. Desmond also looks positively hideous, his whole body and the way he stands looks weird. Feels extremely unpolished. On the other hand, the sea and Boston look quite stunning.

But I am bored. Will continue tomorrow. AC2 started off boring too so these early impressions are not bothering me.

jet1911

Sequence 2, right after you go to talk to the surgeon (I think?). Yeah... Snooze fest so far. Also you guys were not exaggerating with the clipping issues, it's absolutely insane. Desmond also looks positively hideous, his whole body and the way he stands looks weird. Feels extremely unpolished. On the other hand, the sea and Boston look quite stunning.

But I am bored. Will continue tomorrow. AC2 started off boring too so these early impressions are not bothering me.

The game does get a lot better after sequence three.

Xevren

<3 the Frontier. Don't think I did a single main mission quest today, just having a blast roaming around doing whatever I feel like, and it's glorious.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Is that one of the two on the ship? The one with the moving forward or backward was so weird, I was getting owned. Hope no trophies are tied to these...

It's the one where you line up three dots to make Mills. I don't get how it works at all, I have made lines of 3 and nothing happens...then at a certain point you slide your pieces around and I just lose everything.

The forward backward one is weird but I think I understand it after a few plays atleast.

Akainu

Awesome just lost a convoy. I swear the message came out of nowhere and they gave me 20 second to get to the other end of the map.

Quick

Banned
Has anyone used their Tomahawk to zipline yet? What about bouncing off a flagpole on a building to assassinate?

I just saw one of the commercials on TV, and I realized that I've done neither.

Quick

Banned
These fucking guards

I don't understand how they'd attack on sight even though I'm incognito.

This is happening to me, as well. One of the times, it involved a guard dog constantly barking at me, alerting guards. My status doesn't change, but they chase me down.

Top Bottom