• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed III |OT| Easier to read than Ratonhnhaké:ton

Zeliard

Seriously? You've never accidentally run up a wall 3 times and lost a target in a chase? Or missed a jump by a nano-degree and jumped off the edge of a cliff to your death? Or had the game force you to jump from a cover spot for no reason? Or any of the other innumerable, annoying fucking things that are easy to do by accident with the overly automated, imprecise control scheme?

No, it's all laughably easy. I almost wish the controls were that bad just so there'd be some actual challenge, even if it came from having to wrestle with the controller. As it stands I just leave countless bodies strewn about me, and none of it feels particularly satisfying.

"Missing a jump by a nano-degree" is what the game could use a hell of a lot more of. There's too much simplistic auto-platforming.

Lima

AC has always been very automated, don't understand the complaints if you have experience with other AC games

This

I get the impression that some people think that earlier AC games where the stronghold of hardcore gaming.

Oh shit now you only have to press RT to run. In older titles I had to press RT + A. Damn dude that is hardcore!

Petrichor

AC has always been very automated, don't understand the complaints if you have experience with other AC games

The difference is that we've had four games to get used to the old control scheme, making adapting to a similar but inferior control scheme a daunting prospect. I don't know how many times I've ended up being killed by pursuing guards because they've separated "freerunning mode" from "jumping mode".

What was the sense behind removing low, mid and high profile controls?

megalowho

About to head to
New York.
My big takeaways so far:

+ Sequence 1 - Cool way to start the game, threw me for a loop. Go in spoiler free!
+ The Frontier - Beautiful, dense, and fun to navigate. Wasn't expecting much and it turned out to be the most inspired location.
+ Naval sequences - Nice feel, change of pace, very unique. Stunning visuals.
+ Homestead - I do these missions as soon as they pop up. Growing the homestead and getting to know those characters has been my favorite part of the game.
+ Character animation - very impressive on the whole, if a bit too loopy.

- Bugs, glitches, framerate issues, etc. are the worst in the series. Hard to overlook, and I usually can. This game needed next gen hardware as much as it needed another 6 months.
- Historical tie-ins feel forced. I feared they would, love this era of history but I don't think they got it right. Scenes like
Connor at the Continental Congress for 5 mins
were so out of place I laughed out loud. Too many characters.
- Uneven voice acting. Some of the most important players (Connor, Washington, Sam Adams) just don't work for me. Ben Franklin is okay, at least.
- Connor is a drag. I was feeling everything about him until he "grew up," now I don't even know why he's doing the things he is anymore. Just a pawn for the revolutionary roller coaster ride.
- Mindless and easy combat, but that's AC. You're a badass, but it feels more like roleplaying a sociopath than an assassin. Not a lot of customization.
- Modern day stuff is slightly more interesting than before but that doesn't make those characters any more likable.

I'm enjoying it, still a sucker for the way the series nails their atmosphere and looking forward to playing more. Can't help but be disappointed though, some of those negatives are pretty significant.

tha_devil

Seriously? You've never accidentally run up a wall 3 times and lost a target in a chase? Or missed a jump by a nano-degree and jumped off the edge of a cliff to your death? Or had the game force you to jump from a cover spot for no reason? Or any of the other innumerable, annoying fucking things that are easy to do by accident with the overly automated, imprecise control scheme?

Mostly controls fine, but i had some problems. Especially climbing the mast of the ship where you had to plant a flag on. I actually fell off and died.

bugged quest?

5 hours in and still in the tutorial.

Just did the "take down posters to reduce notoriety" thing and now I think the guy am with is supposed to take me to a tunnel to fast travel but he isn't doing anything and my map marker didnt change.

The mission destitution is surrounded by redcoats and I guess at this point is only meant to be reached after using a tunnel.

Any ideas?

Also The Frontier sure is pretty. Framerate is better there as well.

JB1981

The difference is that we've had four games to get used to the old control scheme, making adapting to a similar but inferior control scheme a daunting prospect. I don't know how many times I've ended up being killed by pursuing guards because they've separated "freerunning mode" from "jumping mode".

Maybe I just never got good at ACII but I never found the combat there to be challenging or intuitive. Countering, breaking defense, parrying n chaining feels more fluid in this.

megalowho

bugged quest?

Just did the "take down posters to reduce notoriety" thing and now I think the guy am with is supposed to take me to a tunnel to fast travel but he isn't doing anything and my map marker didnt change.

The mission destitution is surrounded by redcoats and I guess at this point is only meant to be reached after using a tunnel.

Any ideas?
I got stuck there too. He's all "come on, I'll show you!" and then doesn't. Try restarting from the checkpoint, if not just brute force your way to the map marker (you'll probably have to kill some guards). It'll trigger eventually.

bugged quest?

Any ideas?

Also The Frontier sure is pretty. Framerate is better there as well.

just head toward the objective any way you can. i went over the buildings to avoid the lobsters.

I got stuck there too. He's all "come on, I'll show you!" and then doesn't. Try restarting from the checkpoint, if not just brute force your way to the map marker (you'll probably have to kill some guards). It'll trigger eventually.

just head toward the objective any way you can. i went over the buildings to avoid the lobsters.

Ok ill just try going over buildings even though he said not to.

Zeliard

My problem is less with the series being animation-heavy than it being completely devoid of challenge. The Batman games have a similar combat system as AC3 but in those games at least the enemies can hit hard and punish mistakes. In AC3 you basically have to stand there motionless and go grab a sandwich to risk dying.

Ubisoft likes to pay a lot of lip service when it comes to making the game tougher but they consistently fail at doing so.

The lead designer of AC3 a while back bemoaned the notion of easy modes in games, which is particularly hilarious coming from him given how easy his game turned out. AC3 is on easy mode by default, and you can't switch it to anything else.

No, it's all laughably easy. I almost wish the controls were that bad just so there'd be some actual challenge, even if it came from having to wrestle with the controller. As it stands I just leave countless bodies strewn about me, and none of it feels particularly satisfying.

"Missing a jump by a nano-degree" is what the game could use a hell of a lot more of. There's too much simplistic auto-platforming.

Yeah, the combat is easy, but that's not what I'm talking about. I'm talking about frustrating, annoying, janky, shitty movement mechanics.

Zeliard

Yeah, the combat is easy, but that's not what I'm talking about. I'm talking about frustrating, annoying, janky, shitty movement mechanics.

Hasn't really been an issue for me. They aren't the most fluid control mechanics ever devised but I tend to be able to do what I want in combat and traverse where I want to in the platforming stuff.

Also be sure you aren't hitting the circle or B button as that will command your ally to stop and not follow. This happened to me in the same mission.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
This is my favorite Assassin's Creed so far. Through sequence 5. Wow, it really clicks for me. I love a slow burn.

Bucca

Fools are always so certain of themselves, but wiser men so full of doubts.
Full synchronization question here: I noticed in the optional objectives for a past mission (one I didn't manage to do all of them for) that it says complete in one playthrough. Does that mean the playthrough of the entire game, i.e. if I go back to replay the mission it won't give me full sync?

Just a little lost on what that exactly means.

Derrick01

Banned
I've enjoyed the 8 or so hours I put into sequence 6 after it opened up. It was only mildly enjoyable before that point but now it's hitting a stride. I haven't even done any of the optional naval stuff yet either.

Zeliard

This is my favorite Assassin's Creed so far. Through sequence 5. Wow, it really clicks for me. I love a slow burn.

I enjoyed the slow burn a lot. I haven't taken issue with the game taking so long to get going like a lot of others did. That's been one of my favorite parts about AC3 and something I wish more games would have the stones to do, instead of always feeling the need to go full-bore from the onset so they don't risk losing the less patient gamers.

So few major mainstream games nowadays ask for any patience on the player's part.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I enjoyed the slow burn a lot. I haven't taken issue with the game taking so long to get going like a lot of others did. That's been one of my favorite parts about AC3 and something I wish more games would have the stones to do, instead of always feeling the need to go full-bore from the onset so they don't risk losing the less patient gamers.

So few major mainstream games nowadays ask for any patience on the player's part.

When the big reveal hits in
sequence 3
, I was like OH SHIT!!! I haven't done that in forever. And I smiled during the
naval battle. It was actually stunning visually and it was a lot of fun. Maybe it gets repetitive but once is enough for me.

Stark

Banned
Finished the game earlier. I don't really know how I feel about that ending.

EDIT:
At first I was thinking "That's it?" for Connor, of course. But the Epilogue helped a lot since I thought about it and sit with a conflicted feeling. In a way, the way you killed Charles Lee was pretty brilliant, I thought. But it left me feeling empty in the end.

Zeliard

sequence 3
naval battle. It was actually stunning visually and it was a lot of fun. Maybe it gets repetitive but once is enough for me.

I was sadly spoiled on that prior to release =((((

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
It does. The story completely falls apart (conor's in particular) and missions are made more difficult by having ridiculously stringent requirements rather than being well-designed, the final chase sequence in particular will have you all tearing your hair out.

This is one of those instances where you can say that the game's greater parts were overshadowed by the bad ones.

And God, were they bad.

I was sadly spoiled on that prior to release =((((

And I still feel bad about my fuck up earlier this week. Sorry again :(

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
This

I get the impression that some people think that earlier AC games where the stronghold of hardcore gaming.

Oh shit now you only have to press RT to run. In older titles I had to press RT + A. Damn dude that is hardcore!

and to this day I still do that =p

N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member
sequence 3

Me too. I was expecting something but not that. I was expecting that
Charles Lee would be a templar plant and would betray haytham

I also really like how this time around the game doesn't portray things in such a black and white fashion. I don't want to say anymore lest I venture into spoiler territory.
Though it has to be said I don't think I've connected to this story as well as I did with AC2, but it is growing on me.

Game is buggy as hell though, which is a real shame but it has its moments where everything is going perfectly - solid framerate, no missing textures, no pop in, and in those moments the game looks incredible, fantastic even. Roaming about the frontier is fun as hell too and the Desmond sections are decent, though they feel like they are lacking something.

Nemesis_

I'm not sure how I feel about this.

The Aquila, tree running and hunting are like, perfect additions. But something doesn't quite feel right.

While I love AC2 for what it did to the franchise (I don't think we'll ever see a jump THAT big again), I think Revelations is above and beyond my favourite at this point.

We'll see how things go story wise in AC3 (I'm only up to Sequence 6, doing a lot of side stuff at the moment) but that's my take on things anyway.

I wouldn't say this is the "worst" though

Linius

Why do people post stuff in spoiler tags without saying where in the game the spoiler takes place? That way I still can't check the spoiler because I dunno what's it about :p

Derrick01

Banned
I've been waiting for these, when do they start popping up?

I was in sequence 7 but I think you can start them on 6.

Linius said:
Why do people post stuff in spoiler tags without saying where in the game the spoiler takes place?

Sorry. Truth be told I don't know why I spoiler tagged them it's side content that we knew about before the game came out and something that's been in the games since AC2.

N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member
Camera sucks all kinds of ass though. And the game seriously needs a damn crouch button at the least. Some stealth elements would be so good and work so well, I mean you play a damn assassin of course you should be able to do shit more stealthily. Hell a crouch button would go a long way towards that.

smokeymicpot

Beat EviLore at pool.
This

I still hold right trigger and a. Became such a habit in these games that I won't stop doing it.

iNvid02

If there's one thing that is indisputable about this game, it's that the PC version is going to be very, very pretty.

yup, i have my doubts about the performance because of what ubi kiev did to future soldier, but when you come back to a console game after solely playing pc titles maxed out for months and think "hey, this actually looks pretty good", you know the pc version has a good chance of being incredible

Draconian

I will say that the direction of the cutscenes is head and shoulders above the other games in the series. They did a really nice job with them and I'm actually intrigued where this story's going.

Akainu

I think I just spent the last few hours just hunting crap. I don't even think I need to. I wonder if they consulted any natives about air assassinations while hunting.

Draconian

Holy crap. I was in the middle of an infiltration mission and went to climb over a fence and immediately got shot up a few hundred feet in the air and fell all the way back down and died. Luckily it looked so funny and was so random I'm not really all that upset lol

They are screw either way in the eyes of some people. If they keep stuff the same, where was the change? If they change stuff, why the hell did that do that?

yup, i have my doubts about the performance because of what ubi kiev did to future soldier, but when you come back to a console game after solely playing pc titles maxed out for months and think "hey, this actually looks pretty good", you know the pc version has a good chance of being incredible

What were the main problems with future solider (never played it)? I will be happy with high res textures and 60 fps. Should I be worried?

Quick

Banned
With Shao Jun mentioned early in the game
as the inventor of the rope dart (pretty damn handy, I should add)
, and being in the database, it only reinforces my want for a China-based AC game. Could be about Shao Jun herself, a descendant of hers, or anyone in the time period.

Not sure if the Vita could really capture the potentially amazing landscape and visuals (New Orleans and the Bayou in Liberation was nice, but felt a bit claustrophobic), so it'll have to be either a game this gen, or next on console/PC.

Amir0x

Banned
If there's one thing that is indisputable about this game, it's that the PC version is going to be very, very pretty.

I don't think it was from you actually.

yeah i really, really regret splooging early because the console version has some of the most hideous pop up and shit ever in history

But there really is a lot to love of this game. My happiest bit is that they really have culled a lot from history, and have been reasonably respectful to it. For example when you meet and talk to Benjamin Franklin, he goes on his
theory about how old women are far more preferable in bed than young women
. As many people here probably know, it's culled pretty much word for word from a letter Benjamin Franklin wrote to Cadwallader Colden.. Little touches like this are exactly what I wanted for my history fix, and it's why I can ignore the shit overarching stories in these games. I do enjoy the period atmosphere so much.

Bollocks

Reached the 30h mark, so much to do. Sequence 11 atm

Also regarding homestead missions:
Are there more homestead missions after Achilles dies?

Top Bottom