• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed III |OT| Easier to read than Ratonhnhaké:ton

Does anybody know where I can find a good guide to crafting/trading in the game? I'm new to AC games and I don't think I fully understand the whole transportation of goods crafting thingy. They kinda went over the ledger really quick in the game and I'm not sure I "got it".

Does anybody know where I can find a good guide to crafting/trading in the game? I'm new to AC games and I don't think I fully understand the whole transportation of goods crafting thingy. They kinda went over the ledger really quick in the game and I'm not sure I "got it".

It's new to everyone, really. I'm not completely sold on the system, either.

Hit the back button (or select) and it's in one of those mazes of menus.
Whoof, maze is right! Thanks, I found it. I was hitting the start button before.

What do they mean when they say 'use bait with a snare'? Do you combine them somehow? Or just lay down some bait, then a snare nearby, and hope for the best?

Jb

Whoof, maze is right! Thanks, I found it. I was hitting the start button before.

What do they mean when they say 'use bait with a snare'? Do you combine them somehow? Or just lay down some bait, then a snare nearby, and hope for the best?

I think that's it.

Yeah, that's exactly it. I put down a snare, then threw some bait on it and a fox came by and got caught. I got credit for "use bait with a snare" once I skinned him.

JB1981

Why when I go to buy an outfit in the store the menu shows crates rather than the outfits?

Also ps3 framerate in Boston is so bad. Wonder if 360 is as bad

rvy

Banned
Holy shit, this Naval Treasure Hunting mission is insane. Dead Chest's Treasure. The level design allows the chase mechanics to work and the guards are where they should be to pose a threat if your timing sucks.
I was mindblown when I killed 2 guards with one running assassination. Why aren't all the chase sequences as good as this? No idea why this is a side-quest, it's pretty fucking great. Cutscenes and everything.

Just started sequence 4 and I'm glad they upped the difficulty in the game. Only problem I have is that when the game is trying to "teach" you something it flashes by to quickly I end up standing around a bit lost.

Thanks guys.

Quick question about crafting and trading. Why does it become more and more expensive to craft more things? Shouldn't it get less expensive? I used to do a healthy barrel business but now it seems like they're more expensive to craft than I make back by trading.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Reached the 30h mark, so much to do. Sequence 11 atm

Also regarding homestead missions:
Are there more homestead missions after Achilles dies?

You made me remember something:
I really can't recall when Achilles died. What the hell Ubisoft, you didn't make me care for his death

rvy

Banned
iTTCxRtlvEcA.gif

Just awesome.

Omni

Thanks guys.

Quick question about crafting and trading. Why does it become more and more expensive to craft more things? Shouldn't it get less expensive? I used to do a healthy barrel business but now it seems like they're more expensive to craft than I make back by trading.

I don't understand crafting at all. I want to make a few things (apparently you can do a holster for a second pistol), but need more people at a higher level or something. I've only got the one guy and have no idea how you're supposed to get more and/or level them up.

Let's not even get into trading or whatever.

Ubisoft did a piss poor job at explaining things to the player.

Lima

You level them up by completing homestead missions. They will then be able to craft higher quality goods.

I too don't really understand why it gets more expensive (flooding the market with a certain product should bring the price down and not up) but the price goes down over time.

So just don't craft the product for a certain amount of time and the price will go down again.

The trading system is actually really cool. It just takes some time to get into but then it will give you a nice and steady flow of cash.

You level them up by completing homestead missions. They will then be able to craft higher quality goods.

I too don't really understand why it gets more expensive (flooding the market with a certain product should bring the price down and not up) but the price goes down over time.

So just don't craft the product for a certain amount of time and the price will go down again.

The trading system is actually really cool. It just takes some time to get into but then it will give you a nice and steady flow of cash.
That's really weird and doesn't make any sense. But I guess you're right.

megalowho

Some of these chase sequences are infuriating. All I want to do is run after the bad guy, yet all Connor wants to do is hang on every fence and box and windowsill he grazes along the way. Not fun.

Some of these chase sequences are infuriating. All I want to do is run after the bad guy, yet all Connor wants to do is hang on every fence and box and windowsill he grazes along the way. Not fun.

I've been stalking the thread just reading what people think about the game, and even on top of the bugs and "jank," the chasing-- which IMO is by far the worst stuff in the other games-- sounds even worse here. I cannot help but scratch my head over what the hell they're thinking by still putting it in every game and not making it more fluid. They never work the way I want them to. Even if they weren't completely broken, they still wouldn't be fun. It's really bizarre to me why they insist on keeping them in when they're clearly shitty.

I'm seeing some positive things and I'm not ignoring those or being selective-- but a lot of the complaints people have about the game seriously worry me. I really wanted this to be the one that is finally great after being disappointed in stuff like Mass Effect 3 and RE6. Every "AAA" game I've looked forward to this year has been a disaster.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Question. I liberated a fort in 1773. Connor raised the first American flag with the 13 stars. Did I do this out of sequence?

Narratively, it's weak-- I haven't even seen anything about the American revolution yet really-- but isn't this an anachronism? Could be wrong, but wasn't the "Ross Variant" flag first designed in 1777?

God this game is infuriating sometimes.

Kill a few bad guys, cutscene plays, bodies are mysteriously gone afterwards so I can't loot them.

Chase a guy on a horse, corner him, guy disappears.

I can't remember the last time I played a "AAA" game that was this glitchy and this unconcerned about fucking over the player.

Derrick01

Banned
Question. I liberated a fort in 1773. Connor raised the first American flag with the 13 stars. Did I do this out of sequence?

Narratively, it's weak-- I haven't even seen anything about the American revolution yet really-- but isn't this an anachronism? Could be wrong, but wasn't the "Ross Variant" flag first designed in 1777?

You can do it anytime you want as it's considered side content, but I was thinking the same thing for the 4 I did around the same time period you did it. It's very distracting to see him raising a flag for an army that doesn't exist yet :lol

Choc

Banned
Finished it

gotta be honest, borderline hated it.

First six hours of gameplay is just fucking stupid. Ok sure slow burn but that all could have been achieved in 3 sequences. When we've had 3 brilliant ezio games that were paced incredibly well, how the fuck does this happen

as someone said, Ubisoft is missing Patrice for sure. Pay ALL THE MONEY to get him back because otherwise this franchise is fucked.

rvy

Banned
Huh? Connor only has one, I can't take down two guards at the same time from behind with my hidden blade.

Really? I always figured I had dual-hidden blades. I don't think I unlocked anything or bought weapons from the shop. How far into the game are you?

SJRB

Gold Member
The "break up the fight" minigame has to be one of the worst things ever created, holy shit.

Other than that I like the Homestead missions. Nice variety and a change of pace opposed to the typical "hey yo connor kill these people because of reasons" regular missions.

I found it more offensive that Haytham's cronies had an
assassin
symbol over their head in the beginning. Looks lazy and sloppy.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Finished it

gotta be honest, borderline hated it.

First six hours of gameplay is just fucking stupid. Ok sure slow burn but that all could have been achieved in 3 sequences. When we've had 3 brilliant ezio games that were paced incredibly well, how the fuck does this happen

as someone said, Ubisoft is missing Patrice for sure. Pay ALL THE MONEY to get him back because otherwise this franchise is fucked.

It's everything I wanted from a period piece. I love that they made the
trip over
a whole sequence. But I'm weird.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Are all the pieces of animal you find from hunting vendor trash? Or should I be holding onto some of this stuff?

Linius

Really? I always figured I had dual-hidden blades. I don't think I unlocked anything or bought weapons from the shop. How far into the game are you?

I'm in sequence nine, so pretty far I'd say. Have you tryed sneaking up on two guards and taking them both out at the same time like Ezio could? Because Connor can't in my game :p

rvy

Banned
I'm in sequence nine, so pretty far I'd say. Have you tryed sneaking up on two guards and taking them both out at the same time like Ezio could? Because Connor can't in my game :p

I have yes, I just need to make sure that they're both highlighted. Same goes for air assassinations. You should have the hidden-blades by sequence 9. Maybe try the general store, see if they have anything for sale.

Lima

Yeah you have dual hidden blades starting in sequence 6 when you first get them.

You have to make sure that both targets are highlighted just like rvy said.

Carbonox

Agreed on the Naval missions that involve Connor exploring. So fucking awesome. Dead Chest Island and the other where you go to the Fort were so well designed I'm blown away that they're not main missions. Best missions in the game so far (where I'm up to anyway).

Regarding a particular fetch quest that Achilles has you go on...
He asks you to get a package which turns out to be his robe and you can't even use it yet. This game is so fucking stingy when it comes to allow you to change your appearance, not to mention the currently accessible outfits at the shop don't even show in cutscenes! The story-related robes best do...

rvy

Banned
Agreed on the Naval missions that involve Connor exploring. So fucking awesome. Dead Chest Island and the other where you go to the Fort were so well designed I'm blown away that they're not main missions. Best missions in the game so far (where I'm up to anyway).

This man knows what's he's talking about.

Carbonox

Ah so if you just change the colour of your outfit via a store, it won't show in cutscenes (Ubi-Soft are aware it's a bug apparently) but new outfits you acquire will show. That's good enough I guess but I wanted to rep that Charleston colour cos it's awesome. I'm very picky about presentation and it always bugs me in games when costumes don't show in cutscenes.

Top Bottom