• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed III |OT| Easier to read than Ratonhnhaké:ton

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
He's never shown dying. I think you see him on his deathbed at the start of Sequence 11, him basically telling you GO KILL HAYTHAM BECAUSE I SAY SO. Then he's gone at the start of Sequence 12.

Freaking Ubisoft.
I actually liked the guy, it would've made it better that we had a touching scene where he died and we all cried and stuff. Was that a cut cutscene?

I wasn't able to pull off chain combos until I hit sequence 6, now I can do it no problem and I'm loving the combat. Sure, it's easy and you're basically just spamming a win button, but the animations are just so damn nice and satisfying. Although there's little challenge to the combat, it really has a badass feel to it.

It IS much more challenging to escape notoriety in this game, which I LOVE - I thought that was a problem that it was too easy to become anonymous in AC2 and Brohood, they got a little bit better in Revelations with making posters and town criers rarer, but in AC3, guards will spot you from far away, give chase, call in their comrades, and its much more challenging to become anonymous again - great open world improvement here.

N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member
Why when I go to buy an outfit in the store the menu shows crates rather than the outfits?

Also ps3 framerate in Boston is so bad. Wonder if 360 is as bad

I'm getting this too, is it a bug or is it supposed to be this way?

Holy shit, this Naval Treasure Hunting mission is insane. Dead Chest's Treasure. The level design allows the chase mechanics to work and the guards are where they should be to pose a threat if your timing sucks.
I was mindblown when I killed 2 guards with one running assassination. Why aren't all the chase sequences as good as this? No idea why this is a side-quest, it's pretty fucking great. Cutscenes and everything.

Yeah, Naval warfare and Treasure hunting are awesome. I want more! I hope they do an assassin game with more of that stuff or spin it unto a pirate game. It's definetly my favorite part of the game.

Zeliard

I wasn't able to pull off chain combos until I hit sequence 6, now I can do it no problem and I'm loving the combat. Sure, it's easy and you're basically just spamming a win button, but the animations are just so damn nice and satisfying. Although there's little challenge to the combat, it really has a badass feel to it.

It IS much more challenging to escape notoriety in this game, which I LOVE - I thought that was a problem that it was too easy to become anonymous in AC2 and Brohood, they got a little bit better in Revelations with making posters and town criers rarer, but in AC3, guards will spot you from far away, give chase, call in their comrades, and its much more challenging to become anonymous again - great open world improvement here.

While that is true, it's still totally feasible to just kill everybody who surrounds you. :p The high-alert guards present more of a temporary annoyance than anything. Sometimes I'll spot a group and run up to them and kill 'em all just for shits.

I do like the sheer brutality of the combat animations, and some of the stuff you can do is pretty fun, like finishing people off with a point-blank arrow (the arrows stick out of their bodies which is a neat touch) and countering with trip mines, snares, and rope darts. Hanging enemies from trees is also pretty great.

Stark

Banned
Freaking Ubisoft.
I actually liked the guy, it would've made it better that we had a touching scene where he died and we all cried and stuff. Was that a cut cutscene?

Me too. :/
He was just sorta already in his grave at that point. If they were going to imply he will die the moment you leave or something- their could have been a more emotional moment before he left.
<- Ending/Sequence 12 spoilers.

Agreed on the Naval missions that involve Connor exploring. So fucking awesome. Dead Chest Island and the other where you go to the Fort were so well designed I'm blown away that they're not main missions. Best missions in the game so far (where I'm up to anyway).

Regarding a particular fetch quest that Achilles has you go on...
He asks you to get a package which turns out to be his robe and you can't even use it yet. This game is so fucking stingy when it comes to allow you to change your appearance, not to mention the currently accessible outfits at the shop don't even show in cutscenes! The story-related robes best do...

Okay. Glad theres still stuff I haven't seen after beating the story. I was getting worried. I hadn't done many of the sidequests yet, and I started doing them last night and most of them seemed to be pretty lame thus far (the letter deliveries and liberation missions).

rvy

Banned
It's a damn shame that Ubi managed to hide such a good AC game under that mess of a campaign. Really. Most fun I've had with any AC so far, after I ended that campaign nonsense.

Derrick01

Banned
I haven't played at all today yet, but today feels like a navy day ;)

I've only done the first mission and 2 or 3 of the contracts so I have most of it left thankfully.

Ricker

You have got to be fucking kidding me?...goddamn QTE's on respawning fucking wolves while I search god knows where for that Indian women...do I have to look in the green circle for her or what...I was loving this game so much so far...jesus.

Carbonox

Oh man the heavy weapons like axes are so satisfying to use in combat. You can truly feel the weight and power of these things. Never bothered with them in the previous games because I liked using the hidden blades in combat.

Yeah, Naval warfare and Treasure hunting are awesome. I want more! I hope they do an assassin game with more of that stuff or spin it unto a pirate game. It's definetly my favorite part of the game.

Damn the praise has me incredibly intrigued to dive deeper into the naval stuff. I've been holding off on it trying to get more artisans. Fucking dead chest island is waiting for me.

@FuzzyNorman I don't know about feathers but chests get you money and recipes for your homestead artisans.

Mohonky

Having a real love hate affair with this game right now. Still not wearing an Assassin's outfit if that gives any idea where I am.

The AI just spots you so easily and they are everywhere. Losing them is a real pain in the ass. What annoys me most; is the Assassin's are supposed to be some Elite, agile warriors yet when traversing the environment you're no faster or able to do anything more capable than any ranking official. It has annoyed me since the first game but it is bugging me more so in this because of the way Boston is laid out; the architecture and building structures aren't as heavily populated and crowded as previous games so completing a run from one end of town to the other via the rooftops isn't nearly as viable and when it is, again, any old grunt can catch you.

Apparently those thousands of years of passing down secrets and training nets you nothing when some portly guard is able to mimic your every move.

Then there's the movement in general. At the start of the generation it was fine but now I find the controls really janky and unresponsive. The mission where you had to shoot 3 barrels as an optional mission drove me mental, the controls were so slow to respond I just couldn't do it.

Getting stuck on corner objects or slowed down because you're character only moves really moves in 45 degree angles is dead set horrendous.

I also played the last game on PC, so coming back to the lower draw distance and jarring frame rates on the 360 is annoying as hell. I would have waited for the PC version but I'll have started my new job then and I'll be working anywhere between 60-70hrs a week so I wouldn't have any time to play it, so going backward has been a real pain.

Has anyone gotten the 'Scratcher Pack' unlock from UPlay to work?

I unlocked it awhile back and it didn't do... anything. All my tool levels are still the same.

Jrmint

My only complaint with the game 10 hours in is lock picking.

This is never fun and in this game it is especially frustrating. I love hunting chests but hate picking the locks.

DrPirate

Banned
Just completed it. Loved it EXCEPT, it's buggy as all hell in my experience.

I totally understand a game like this would be incredibly hard to debug and code and whatnot, but all too many times Connor would stick his lock picks into the air over the chest, people would be walking on water, people would be teleporting into the sky and back to the ground, stuff like that. Nothing gamebreaking, but when you see it, you can't help but just laugh at it.

And my last complaint is the new free running style and controls. Never has it happened that I got caught on walls, jumping where I didn't want to jump, and just random stupid decisions Connor would make that would drive me crazy. He NEVER jumped or climbed or dropped down the way I wanted him too and it basically made some missions a chore to play (FUCK YOU SEQUENCE 12). This is the only instance I would accuse them of trying to fix what wasn't broken. it never happened in the past 4-5 games that I didn't control the avatar exactly the way I wanted, and it frustrated me that they changed all that to a single button kind of thing.

The rest, I was more or less happy with I guess. God I love those naval missions.

TL:DR. Game is really buggy. I don't like the new free running controls. Everything else was good, especially those naval missions.

Really? I always figured I had dual-hidden blades. I don't think I unlocked anything or bought weapons from the shop. How far into the game are you?

I think for some reason you can take out two guards from an air assassination but I've never taken out two guards on ground. I think the air assassination thing is probably a bug.

Amir0x

Banned
My only complaint with the game 10 hours in is lock picking.

This is never fun and in this game it is especially frustrating. I love hunting chests but hate picking the locks.

my god I agree

what the FUCK is wrong with lockpicking in this game?

What am I supposed to do with the pelts I collected by killing animals (except selling them)?

I want to make myself an awesome bear hat and rabbit-pants.

iddqd

Well well.. I wanted to turn off some HUD elements to have more immersion..
Turned off the one that puts the Quest marker in the middle of the screen (I thought having one on the mini map is enough)
BUT GUESS WHAT
that also turns off everything regarding the QTE.
So you just die whenever something attacks you.

Ok Ubisoft, then just dont give me the option.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
my god I agree

1) Place thumbs in unusual positions on joysticks
2) Mash right trigger as fast as possible, praying to god your thumbs don't move slightly out of place as you thrash your controller or else you have to start again

Though, it is the best lock picking mechanic in any game I've played. But again, that's not saying much.

my god I agree

???? I actually think it's clever. Never have a problem with it

1. Rotate left analog until it rumbles, hold in position
2. Rotate right analog until it rumbles, hold in position
3. Hammer RT

It's a very good simulation of trying to hold two tools in place while jigging the lock, generally because (at least on 360) hammering RT can be tricky while maintaining the lock tool positions.

Think I've only failed a lock a few times and it's pretty easy to re-find the position

Amir0x

Banned

3. Hammer RT

It's a very good simulation of trying to hold two tools in place while jigging the lock, generally because (at least on 360) hammering RT can be tricky while maintaining the lock tool positions.

Think I've only failed a lock a few times and it's pretty easy to re-find the position

My problem is this

I can rotate either L or R picks completely around slowly 360 degrees, and often they will not rumble at all. Often I have to manually try each position and wait like 5 seconds or more before I even get a hint of a rumble, and even then it's not always strong. Then I have to hope it sticks. Because if I don't jimmy the lock that first time, often when I come back shit won't rumble for me in the same place again. Sometimes it just will stop rumbling altogether and I'll have to completely remove the picks from the lock.

It's just an inconsistent mess as far as my experience has gone.

The Lamp

1) Place thumbs in unusual positions on joysticks
2) Mash right trigger as fast as possible, praying to god your thumbs don't move slightly out of place as you thrash your controller or else you have to start again

Though, it is the best lock picking mechanic in any game I've played. But again, that's not saying much.

You guys must suck because I watched my friend play it several times and it literally takes like 7 seconds to lock pick. He laughed when I told him people have trouble with it.

I wonder if it's the same people who had trouble with skyward sword lol

iddqd

And for everyone complaining about lock picking,
Wait until you do a certain homestead mission where you have to break up a fight.
Thats some left stick / right stick annoyance right there.

The AI spotting you with their eagle eyes is worrying me.

I guess I'll hold off on the game for awhile. I still haven't played RDR. It's pretty cheap at Walmart now.

Derrick01

Banned

3. Hammer RT

The problem is you have to hold it in the exact position the entire time. Move even a millimeter and it'll reset, it's infuriating.

Ricker

You have got to be fucking kidding me?...goddamn QTE's on respawning fucking wolves while I search god knows where for that Indian women...do I have to look in the green circle for her or what...I was loving this game so much so far...jesus.

Anyone?...before I snap the disk in 2....

I can rotate either L or R picks completely around slowly 360 degrees, and often they will not rumble at all. Often I have to manually try each position and wait like 5 seconds or more before I even get a hint of a rumble, and even then it's not always strong. Then I have to hope it sticks. Because if I don't jimmy the lock that first time, often when I come back shit won't rumble for me in the same place again. Sometimes it just will stop rumbling altogether and I'll have to completely remove the picks from the lock.

It's just an inconsistent mess as far as my experience has gone.

Maybe a PS3 issue? I do know that there are different "levels" of locks (some have a wider "zone" than others, basically) which is why some take a slower sweep to find the rumble points. The 360 rumble strength is always the same in my experience.

The rumble points do shuffle if you fail the whole thing and go back to left pick, not sure of the exact rules there. Generally if my R pick fails I can regrab around the same point.

Derrick01 said:
he problem is you have to hold it in the exact position the entire time. Move even a millimeter and it'll reset, it's infuriating.

Are you playing the PS3 version?

To my experience on 360 even the hard locks allow for minor give. Have I managed to lose the zone? Sure, maybe 1/3 or 1/4 of locks I tend to lose it once, which is basically a good challenge mechanic of "watch how you're slamming the trigger". I guess if you have a really thrashed/loose controller, maybe it's more of a problem?

To be honest my only real complaints with the lockpick system are:
a) They don't get rid of the glow gloss, so its not so much a chest as a big wave energy box
b) The lock position opens the chest somewhere between 3/4 to 1/2 of the way left. Considering it reads like a progress meter they should probably have made that go all the way.

You can do it anytime you want as it's considered side content, but I was thinking the same thing for the 4 I did around the same time period you did it. It's very distracting to see him raising a flag for an army that doesn't exist yet :lol

This. Was really surprised, thought it was going to be something else.

Of course the maps system also spoils things.
You can buy maps in Sequence 5 that specifically advertise New York locations, even though there is no other indication that you'd go there

Derrick01

Banned
Good fucking god this game is at its worst when it's trying to portray a feeling of all hell breaking loose.

Sequence 7
The mission where you have to order the 3 groups of rebels to fire at the british. I'm constantly battling the awful horse controls to rush between the 3 groups. I almost failed but pulled it off. It doesn't help that the game runs at 15 fps during all this too. On the part before that where you have to rush to warn the others it was also running really horribly. The game wants me to see the chaos going on but between the time limit and horrible frame rate it's hard to take it all in.

Top Bottom