• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed III |OT| Easier to read than Ratonhnhaké:ton

Anyone know what I can do in regards to my multiplayer disc? I know quite a few people in the same situation as me (the disc will just freeze when you try to play multiplayer. You get the welcome message and then it just stops working. Doesn't matter if you install or not. Discs have no scratches on them).

I don't have the receipt as I ordered online and accidentally cleared my emails out.
Ordered online where? You shouldn't need a receipt, it should be in their records. Question is do you really want to send the whole thing back?

pargonta

OMG the maps are so fucking bad. The left stick should MOVE THE MAP. the right stick should ZOOM. WTF IS THIS SHITTTT UBISOFT

ok, good, im not the only one that messes that shit up everytime lol.

i'm around 6 hours in and just got to beginning sequence 3 i believe, the
bar fight and zio put a bandage on my face in a cliche moment meant to portray emotion.

i spent an hour or two in the boston underground unlocking fast travel points, but i'm stuck on 7/10 cause a few seem glitched. definitely not grabbing me like other ones... but then again i haven't started it yet really have i. my assassin's creed ritual is unlocking every viewpoint and shop and fast travel and then move on, so it's a slow romp. i just wanna be conor at this point though lol.

exYle

I thought the stance on spoiler tags was not to put them half-way into the sentence?

I think it's at least courteous to specify which sequence your spoiler pertains to. I'm at Sequence 9, so I can read some spoilers, but not all, so I would appreciate the effort in labeling a spoiler that I (and others) shouldn't be reading.

OmegaZero

I thought you can perform low-profile double assassinations by highlighting two people, then pressing the attack button.
Is that not the case?

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
I thought you can perform low-profile double assassinations by highlighting two people, then pressing the attack button.
Is that not the case?

I have this same question. I can only kill two people in high profile only.

george_us

This
Hickey
chase is fucking horrible.

Edit: Ahahahahaha and the only way I was able to catch the bastard is because a carriage stopped right in front of his pathfinding. Outside of the naval battles this game is fucking terrible.

cackhyena

This
Hickey
chase is fucking horrible.

Edit: Ahahahahaha and the only way I was able to catch the bastard is because a carriage stopped right in front of his pathfinding. Outside of the naval battles this game is fucking terrible.
Hey, that's not hyperbole in the least.

Does this game have issues? Of course unfortunately, but to say its terrible.. man. You either don't play a lot of games or have low tolerance for issues in your gaming experiences. I've had a few issues pop up but overall the positive vibes and experience I've gotten out of this, it's awesome. :D Make me want to get the rest of the series again.

TxdoHawk

Wasn't gonna pick this up, but I couldn't say no to the Kmart deal. Really enjoying the multi, as usual, and what I've played of the SP is alright so far.

Quick

Banned
I'll ask again: has anyone been able to zipline with the tomahawk in the game, and bounce off a flagpole attached to a wall to do an assassination? I saw both in the trailers/commercials, and I've done neither.

Derrick01

Banned
Does this game have issues? Of course unfortunately, but to say its terrible.. man. You either don't play a lot of games or have low tolerance for issues in your gaming experiences. I've had a few issues pop up but overall the positive vibes and experience I've gotten out of this, it's awesome. :D Make me want to get the rest of the series again.

It's not terrible but it probably has the most bugs, issues and design flaws of any AAA game I've ever played. It's worse in those regards than the buggiest and jankiest eastern euro game I've ever played but without the ambition and low budget those games have as their excuse for all of the jank. It certainly doesn't help things that the game is on consoles that are barely able to run it.

I was doing a Homestead mission and a pack of wolves attacked me during the conversation scene and I died.

Normally I would be pissed but I couldn't stop laughing.

exYle

I'll ask again: has anyone been able to zipline with the tomahawk in the game, and bounce off a flagpole attached to a wall to do an assassination? I saw both in the trailers/commercials, and I've done neither.

I haven't even seen a zipline in this game...

Sequence 3 is such a mess,the hell with the secondary objectives...disarm the canons but I can't kill any guards? took me about 5 tries just not to fail the conversation,and about 5 more to get the map...I actually killed George Washington without even knowing it lol,it flashed on the desynch screen,thats how I knew...some awful mechanics for the stealth stuff they want you to do...

That missions is awful. Actually, the controls in this game are pretty bad. Everything about them is off.

Spoiler question
Who does Haytham Kenway kill in the opener? I assume an Assassin based on what happens later. I am guessing he is trained as an assassin? Also, I am only in sequence 5 but I thought you played way to long as Kenway. I was bored to tears half the time until the reveal.

Zeliard

Disarm canons but you can't kill guards? You can wipe out the entire damn place cept for ol' George.

Don't be a slave to 100% synchronization. It's so irrelevant, and if going for that impedes your enjoyment of the game, then obviously don't.

That missions is awful. Actually, the controls in this game are pretty bad. Everything about them is off.

Spoiler question
Who does Haytham Kenway kill in the opener? I assume an Assassin based on what happens later. I am guessing he is trained as an assassin? Also, I am only in sequence 5 but I thought you played way to long as Kenway. I was bored to tears half the time until the reveal.

I THINK
that is the guy who 'corrupted' Haytham when he was an assassin and turned him to the Templars.

putero

Anyone know what I can do in regards to my multiplayer disc? I know quite a few people in the same situation as me (the disc will just freeze when you try to play multiplayer. You get the welcome message and then it just stops working. Doesn't matter if you install or not. Discs have no scratches on them).

I don't have the receipt as I ordered online and accidentally cleared my emails out.

I had the same problem i solved it starting the game with the system offline ( actually unplugged the network cable), the system passed the checks where it would freeze and allow me to play in "limited mode" then i went online and i was able to play online normally.

I tryed it again today and now i can start the online mode normally , no freezes or anything.

Scrabble

Just finished the game and I gotta say I thought it was fantastic. Sure it seems to have those odd quirks that every Assassin's Creed game has but the world and story were great. I feel people are getting overly frustrated trying to always get 100% sync like you have ocd or something. Just don't worry about it and do what you feel is best for the mission.

Sidzed2

Just finished it, and as someone who really enjoyed AC2, and especially Brotherhood, I thought it was terrible. The story was shambolic and fragmented and the mission design was catastrophically poor.

Time for a franchise reboot, Ubi.

So many mixed reactions with long time fans and new comers. Interesting to say the least. I do think some of it has to do with peoples tolerance of glitches and the severity of them. As for the story, I'm enjoying it alot even though its not amazing, but lets not even get on the topic of the storyline in the AC series. I really enjoy it but so many shit on it, it's just a topic that goes back and forth.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
So I've been thinking...

Should they really be dropping Desmond into amateur assassins? I mean I kind of get why they did it for Ezio because of Rodrigo, but why drop him into Connor so early on? Desmond is clearly already trained in the ways of a master assassin by using Ezio. What benefits him from playing a very inexperienced Connor? I mean, even Altair was a master assassin when they went in. He just had to restart because of that goof up.

Basically, I'm sick of playing the doofus, brash Assassin that always makes mistakes and seems clueless at times.

SeanR1221

I don't get the complaints, I'm having a blast myself. No glitches here.

Can someone explain the underground tunnels to me? So you just start walking around looking for doors that unlock fast travel points?

It's always so hard for me to get into AC games because my brain just wants to play them as stealth games.

I try to do no detections, as few kills as possible, never doing anything in the streets that would arouse suspicion from passerby, even non-guards. This leads to so much frustration because the games just aren't designed that way, you're supposed to run around as much as you want, you're supposed to kill everyone in your path, you're supposed to sneak until you're seen and then resort to combat and escapes.

I just have such a hard time divorcing myself from that expectation that this is supposed to be a stealth game. I kind of hope future ACs take more cues from Deus Ex: HR and Dishonored in having more robust stealth options and the ability to go through the game with a low kill count.

I ran into a minor but kind of annoying glitch. I crafted the best pistols I can right now "Royal Pistols" and since I have the twin holster I can carry two. Everything's fine when I first equip them, but then when I fast travel it switches one for a different (worse) pistol so I'm carrying to different ones. No fix I can find yet...

Omni

I'm getting so frustrated with this crafting shit. I just want a second holster for a second pistol, but noooooooo.

Ordered online where? You shouldn't need a receipt, it should be in their records. Question is do you really want to send the whole thing back?
From EB games.

You raise a good point. Probably not worth sending it all back

Badgerst3

Just finished it, and as someone who really enjoyed AC2, and especially Brotherhood, I thought it was terrible. The story was shambolic and fragmented and the mission design was catastrophically poor.

Well said. Just got to Conner. Damn the UI is awful. Gimme back my damn weapon wheel!

Not giving up, but so far this has felt like a chore.

Zeliard

I doubt we'll see another mainline AC game till the next gen of consoles, though it sells so well that it wouldn't surprise me if we get some AC3 off-shoot next year.

The major reason I play these games is for the historical settings, and for Ubisoft not to be shackled by such ancient hardware is an enticing prospect. I look forward to an AC setting with fewer technical limitations.

Noi

I'm convinced that the undergrounds are the most poorly designed sections in the whole game. Running through a empty corridors at half sleep, having to figure out puzzles just to open the fast travel spots... and obstacles that respawn if you leave and go back in. I can't go back inside the Boston Underground via the South Commons because the barrels that you blow up to get past come back when you leave. :/

It's even worse that they let you do with without Eagle Eye, but you need it to actually turn down hallways and not run into dead ends. So infuriating.

Just finished the game and I gotta say I thought it was fantastic. Sure it seems to have those odd quirks that every Assassin's Creed game has but the world and story were great. I feel people are getting overly frustrated trying to always get 100% sync like you have ocd or something. Just don't worry about it and do what you feel is best for the mission.

Forget about OCD, the problem is the inorganic, in your face "YOU DUN GOOF'D" design of the full synch objectives. I know it doesn't matter, and in other games, I don't care, but both this and Revelations implemented them in such a way that just pisses me off. This kind of stuff should flow naturally from the game, and it should reward you when you do it, not throw a big red FUCK YOU on the screen when you don't do it.

I'm getting so frustrated with this crafting shit. I just want a second holster for a second pistol, but noooooooo.

Yeah, I don't know what's going on with the crafting. I'm like 6 hours in in sequence 7 and I haven't done it yet and I don't know how it works, or for that matter, a lot of stuff in the homestead (and the game in general). It's still introducing new shit to me that belonged in a tutorial 5 hours ago. I understood the mechanics of buying shops, gaining revenue, upgrading your villa and all its extensions in Brotherhood and Revelations, but I just don't get a lot of it half a dozen hours into this one.

Disarm canons but you can't kill guards? You can wipe out the entire damn place cept for ol' George.

Don't be a slave to 100% synchronization. It's so irrelevant, and if going for that impedes your enjoyment of the game, then obviously don't.

Lol use the fist icon and choke them out, that's what I did.

njean777

Forget about OCD, the problem is the inorganic, in your face "YOU DUN GOOF'D" design of the full synch objectives. I know it doesn't matter, and in other games, I don't care, but both this and Revelations implemented them in such a way that just pisses me off. This kind of stuff should flow naturally from the game, and it should reward you when you do it, not throw a big red FUCK YOU on the screen when you don't do it.

I said this the day Brotherhood came out, I have hated it ever since they implemented it. Its is implemented so poorly that it really pisses me off. They half-assed it the first time and continued it all the way to 3. I really dont care about doing everything, but the fact that it throws it in your face everytime is really annoying. Like it almost wants you to feel bad.

Zeliard

I just kill everyone :p I don't stealth unless there's some fail-state involved.

If you think the 100% sync objectives are fun, more power to you. Go after them, enjoy.

To me, they are basically achievements/trophies, and I already completely ignore those in every single game, so it's really easy for me to just not care about the sync objectives.

Yeah, this is what you're supposed to do, but it's not clear that you have a nonlethal takedown, or a fisticuffs takedown at all. Bad instructions, same way it gives you shit instructions when it orders you to kill 2 targets right next to each other without alerting either. Double assassinations are only doable in high profile (and even then often don't execute properly). Why did they change that from the last 3 games? It worked perfectly fine in AC2 3 years ago.

Ok, why is it sometimes the game will just stop letting you counter? The icon won't show up, pressing B doesn't do anything. Is it a glitch or intentional design? Either way it's a pretty big problem because the combat is designed entirely around the counter system, so not having it you just get wrecked.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
It's not terrible but it probably has the most bugs, issues and design flaws of any AAA game I've ever played. It's worse in those regards than the buggiest and jankiest eastern euro game I've ever played but without the ambition and low budget those games have as their excuse for all of the jank. It certainly doesn't help things that the game is on consoles that are barely able to run it.

The award easily goes to Fable 2. That game was almost unplayable. AC3 is very uneven, I'll give you that, but honestly my experience hasnt been too bad at all. Sequence 6 so far.

Xevren

Ok, why is it sometimes the game will just stop letting you counter? The icon won't show up, pressing B doesn't do anything. Is it a glitch or intentional design? Either way it's a pretty big problem because the combat is designed entirely around the counter system, so not having it you just get wrecked.

It's annoying for sure, I've seen pretty much any type of icon that would be over people just lag out or not show up. Usually it comes back at some point but it's still annoying.

Overall I'm having a damn blast with this game. Rope darts are crazy fun to use. Scorpion Connor gets shit done.

I feel like I should stop doing side stuff and continue with the main story. I dont understand the point of the crafting and delivery system. Why cant you just buy upgrades? Why didnt they just keep the villa funding periodically? Now every time I have to go to the homestead or store, scroll through a bunch of menus to sell bear and wolf pelts, then wait ten minutes for a measley amount of money. Its stupid.

Tawpgun

Beat the game.

Start of the game was dragged on too long.
Mechanics of getting money/all the extras wasn't explained well.
The ending on both the historical side and the present was INCREDIBLY underwhelming.

Overall a great game, but I was expecting more from Assassins Fucking Creed 3.

I'm wondering where they'll take this next. An AC game based in the French Revolution is just ASKING to happen.

Spoiler talk

Still not 100% sure on what the deal was with Minerva vs Juno..

Is Desmond dead, its so unclear.

I was expecting a dramatic moment with Connor removing the tomahawk from the pillar to signify the end of the war. I was expecting an actual ENDING to the revolution... never got those....

I was expecting something a bit more than an audio news report of THE WORLD IS GETTING PRETTY FUCKED BUT NOT AS FUCKED AS IT COULD HAVE BEEN.

I suppose in the next line of Asscreed games its going to be Assassins vs Templars vs Juno.

Beat the game.

Start of the game was dragged on too long.
Mechanics of getting money/all the extras wasn't explained well.
The ending on both the historical side and the present was INCREDIBLY underwhelming.

Overall a great game, but I was expecting more from Assassins Fucking Creed 3.

I'm wondering where they'll take this next. An AC game based in the French Revolution is just ASKING to happen.

Spoiler talk

Still not 100% sure on what the deal was with Minerva vs Juno..

Is Desmond dead, its so unclear.

I was expecting a dramatic moment with Connor removing the tomahawk from the pillar to signify the end of the war. I was expecting an actual ENDING to the revolution... never got those....

I was expecting something a bit more than an audio news report of THE WORLD IS GETTING PRETTY FUCKED BUT NOT AS FUCKED AS IT COULD HAVE BEEN.

I suppose in the next line of Asscreed games its going to be Assassins vs Templars vs Juno.
I'm going to get a drink, see ya there? Terrible ending to a lackluster story.

I have yet been able to see Assassins Creed as the RPG they are so desperately trying to make it.
I got through 95% of the game before I learned I could buy some new weapons...
I barely did anything at the homestead and I had more than enough money to purchase everything.

This game needed a lot more polish. It wasn't the refresher to the series that I was desperately hoping for.

TripOpt55

OMG the maps are so fucking bad. The left stick should MOVE THE MAP. the right stick should ZOOM. WTF IS THIS SHITTTT UBISOFT

They are so terrible. They simplify all these other controls more than ever, but then make the maps more complicated. And not better.

Top Bottom