• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed III |OT| Easier to read than Ratonhnhaké:ton

Carbonox

What are Liberation Contracts? I go in to the buildings where the icon is on and there's no one inside. I take it these are only accessible if you sync with AC3: Liberation?

GAMERG0D

Does anyone know what the most powerful pistol is and where I can get it? Also how do you perform a double assassination with a musket?

I'm shocked at how many main story missions I've done so far that had multiple terrible optional objectives attached to them. The things they ask us to do with this game's bad controls, stealth and AI is just not fair. I think that's one trophy that's going to stop me from getting a platinum in this, besides the MP stuff obviously.

Yes. And why does every shitting mission fail immediately when I get detected? What kind of retards designed this shit? Why does a binary, inorganic fail condition need to be built in? Getting detected is supposed to feel bad in a stealth game and penalize you with combat, not by forcing you to restart the mission. Have they never played a stealth game before? Did they not get their senior people from the last 4 Assassin's Creed games to say "yep, this isn't a bad idea". It's just mind boggling.

JB1981

What are Liberation Contracts? I go in to the buildings where the icon is on and there's no one inside. I take it these are only accessible if you sync with AC3: Liberation?

The libertarian contract is your go-to recruit for that part of town. Your point man sort of. Should be renamed Contact

lunchtoast

Sequence 7
wtf at this river battle commanding troops? I can't even see what the fuck is happening on the two side enemies, they are too far. And how am I supposed to keep my guys from dying whenever I come near them they all fucking stand up?
This game is terrible at telling you how to do things.

N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member
Yes. And why does every shitting mission fail immediately when I get detected? What kind of retards designed this shit? Why does a binary, inorganic fail condition need to be built in? Getting detected is supposed to feel bad in a stealth game and penalize you with combat, not by forcing you to restart the mission. Have they never played a stealth game before? Did they not get their senior people from the last 4 Assassin's Creed games to say "yep, this isn't a bad idea". It's just mind boggling.

We could talk all day about how much of a failure AC is with regards to stealth. Needs an overhaul.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Visually. Not to much to ruin as a character.
All the faces/models in the real world look really bad except for
Desmond's dad
. It's weird because some of the faces in-game look fantastic, namely
Charles Lee and Connor

We could talk all day about how much of a failure AC is with regards to stealth. Needs an overhaul.

And this was the game to do it in. Like right now, I'm playing, I've got two guys standing in front of a desk looking at shit. I try to double assassinate (like, you know, the way you did it in the last 3 fucking games?) and I just kill one and fail the mission. Is there no dual assassination? How do I use the other hidden blade? What the hell is this shit?

Derrick01

Banned
And this was the game to do it in. Like right now, I'm playing, I've got two guys standing in front of a desk looking at shit. I try to double assassinate (like, you know, the way you did it in the last 3 fucking games?) and I just kill one and fail the mission. Is there no dual assassination? How do I use the other hidden blade? What the hell is this shit?

I think they downgraded the dual assassination to running assassinations only. So you'd have to sprint at them and hope your loud footsteps don't fail you first.

I think they downgraded the dual assassination to running assassinations only. So you'd have to sprint at them and hope your loud footsteps don't fail you first.

I was not aware of that. They keep popping up messages to tell me useless things, but not that they turned the dual assassinate into a high profile only action. Can you still do a dual air assassination?

SJRB

Gold Member
Sequence 7 is terrible, wow.

I really dislike how Connor is
yet again turning into a pawn in other people's plans, much like Ezio was in ACII
. The whole story is so fragmented and as a result I feel totally disconnected to everything that's happening. I'm probably reliving a lot of super important historic events and meeting all kinds of historic people but as a non-American I have no idea of either. Truckloads of people and situations get introduced like the game is waiting for an applause or something
especially Washington with the "epic" music and whatnot, jesus
, but half the time I have no idea what the hell is going on. Mainly because the missions are structured around historic accuracy, but without context or knowledge about said historic situation everything just feels weird and completely illogical. The only thing I get is how few likeable characters there are in this game. I hate pretty much everyone aside Adams.
The mission where
I had to ride on horse with that idiot pointing out the way while having to dodge redcoats was godawful, who comes up with this? Did people really think this would be a fun mission? And you end up with some total asshole of a guy who treats you like shit and then asks you to please save his men?

Also, why doesn't Connor just smash
Charles Lee
's face in with his tomahawk? He's running into the guy three times a week or so it seems.

I also hate these "epic" moments. My PS3 can't handle huge battlefields, framerate drops to the 10's, everything stutters, pops in and glitches. The only "epic" here is the failure.
I agree, that was terrible

There is no middle ground in this game - the good things are fantastic, the bad are utterly terrible.

Lima

Can you still do a dual air assassination?

Yes. It is also possible to do dual assassinations in low profile but you have to be almost hugging the guys. They made it harder in this game, which I think is okay because it was too powerful.

Also holy shit dual wielding pistols is fun in this game!

Derrick01

Banned
I was not aware of that. They keep popping up messages to tell me useless things, but not that they turned the dual assassinate into a high profile only action. Can you still do a dual air assassination?

I mean I'm only guessing here because I too can't seem to figure out how to do the old style dual assassination as Connor always stabs just 1. But yeah the dual air kills are still in.

I mean I'm only guessing here because I too can't seem to figure out how to do the old style dual assassination as Connor always stabs just 1. But yeah the dual air kills are still in.

You guys are just talking about stabbing two people in the back right? I've done it countless times. Not sure whats up.

.GqueB.

Banned
Couple hours in... how the hell do I feel confused by this game so far? I've played every entry and platinum'd two of them, but damn, this is doing a terrible job of running you through new controls/buttons and such.

Keep playing. The first three hours or so seemed like an after thought somehow. After that, they kind of run you through a few things.

Though much of the game is still a bit vague to me. They are pretty horrible at explaining things.

Okay, for a next-gen AC I want them to completely ditch the current controls they have. I mean completely, get rid of everything, and then rebuild it all from the ground up. Make movement fluent. No matter how hard it is, make sure no player ever has to suffer through Connor trying to climb a wall when he's supposed to be fucking sliding underneath it. No more dancing on poles. No more sudden leaps into the abyss. Fucking rework it, Ubi. It did the job, but it's time to blow us away.

Carbonox

The libertarian contract is your go-to recruit for that part of town. Your point man sort of. Should be renamed Contact

How odd. Cos in Boston. I have the central and southern parts of Boston liberated with the names of my contacts referenced on the liberation map (two guys who I have on my assassin team). The northern part however is 71% disputed and I haven't recruited the contact in the northern part either. How do I fully liberate northern Boston and have him on my team?

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I believe, like previous AC games, synching opens up more side missions

Not map points. I mean the points you get from doing the constraints in your missions.

Framerate gets really rough on 360...

The framerate in cities is garbage in both versions apparently. I do really like that the PS3 version shoots above 30 when you're in the Frontier, which I think a lot of people dislike (creates more room for judder). The game looks so good at high FPS. But I couldn't wait a month for the PC.

Zeliard

PC version is gonna be so purdy. The naval stuff is gonna look absolutely magnificent, as well as the snow-covered cities, among other things.

N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member
Keep playing. The first three hours or so seemed like an after thought somehow. After that, they kind of run you through a few things.

Though much of the game is still a bit vague to me. They are pretty horrible at explaining things.

The game is terrible at explaining things. Most of the time I don't have a clue whats going on. The Washington stuff in particular was poor, it had no rhyme or reason so to speak

Okay, for a next-gen AC I want them to completely ditch the current controls they have. I mean completely, get rid of everything, and then rebuild it all from the ground up. Make movement fluent. No matter how hard it is, make sure no player ever has to suffer through Connor trying to climb a wall when he's supposed to be fucking sliding underneath it. No more dancing on poles. No more sudden leaps into the abyss. Fucking rework it, Ubi. It did the job, but it's time to blow us away.

THIS! This, so fucking much. I play as a free running assassin, I should be light and fluid to control. Conor, Ezio and Altair have all felt too heavy and stiff imo. It would be a good time to include stealth elements (I won't shut up about stealth).

Also, more QA.

Y2Kev

Also the game just ruins Paul Revere. Just shits on him. Turns him into a stupid goofball. Why don't you drive the goddamn horse, you dumb fuck? Why are you being so goofy? You are not badass. I don't feel tension. I feel like I'm riding to the circus with the Goofball of the Continental Army.

This is the first time in the series I've felt the stealth elements actually have been built out to a point where I can consistently rely on them, so I'm surprised you guys are unhappy with them to the degree you are (vis-a-vis AC1/2).

The chase in sequence 8 took me one try. I got him right after he crosses the first street.
why are people struggling?

Depends on how shitty the AI gets. First time I tried it was nearly impossible for me to catch up. At one point I just kept going in circles around the city. I was basically screaming at the screen at that point. Came back a few hours later and he bumped into another NPC and it was easy

Any online ps3 players?

My friends don't have this and I doubt they'll be getting it anytime soon if at all, and I don't want to play with randoms all the time.

Add me PSN:Nighthawk17

Lima

The game is terrible at explaining things. Most of the time I don't have a clue whats going on. The Washington stuff in particular was poor, it had no rhyme or reason so to speak

So?

Dig in and find out shit yourself. Jesus bunch of casual players here that need every tiny thing explained to them.

N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member
Also the game just ruins Paul Revere. Just shits on him. Turns him into a stupid goofball. Why don't you drive the goddamn horse, you dumb fuck? Why are you being so goofy? You are not badass. I don't feel tension. I feel like I'm riding to the circus with the Goofball of the Continental Army.

This is the first time in the series I've felt the stealth elements actually have been built out to a point where I can consistently rely on them, so I'm surprised you guys are unhappy with them to the degree you are (vis-a-vis AC1/2).

And the same guy opens all three doors.

Y2Kev

THIS! This, so fucking much. I play as a free running assassin, I should be light and fluid to control. Conor, Ezio and Altair have all felt too heavy and stiff imo. It would be a good time to include stealth elements (I won't shut up about stealth).

Also, more QA.

Is your complaint that they poorly contextualize history within the story (i.e. what is actually going on at all) or that you are unfamiliar with the history (because, I assume, you are not American) and thus they do a poor job of explaining the history in game?

eagle884

Neo Member

If it's that room in Ft. Wolcott, I was able to use the tomahawk to kill one and then the other before he alerted.

N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member
So?

Dig in and find out shit yourself. Jesus bunch of casual players here that need every tiny thing explained to them.

Yeah god forbid the game try to keep a cohesive story.

JB1981

How odd. Cos in Boston. I have the central and southern parts of Boston liberated with the names of my contacts referenced on the liberation map (two guys who I have on my assassin team). The northern part however is 71% disputed and I haven't recruited the contact in the northern part either. How do I fully liberate northern Boston and have him on my team?

Trying to figure that out myself. After you fully liberate a town you can add more recruits to your Assassin team right? And then send them on missions in other colonies? What does it mean to have a town full liberated? It doesn't remove redcoat presence, they are still there ...

True, but I've had them bug out on me way too often for them to actually be called 'reliable'. Times when the enemy could see me even though I was hidden, the game forcing me out of a hiding spot for no good reason at all, heck, a lot of times I tried sneaking in the high grass only for Connor to suddenly pop his head up like an idiot and get spotted. By the end I gave up on stealth entirely.

I'm gonna do a full replay of this once I'm done with Halo 4, though, and try to be more stealthy.

God damn is the camera in this game glitchy. I frequently get caught in that claustrophobic "conversation" camera where you can't move it up or down and you see more of the ground than anything else... except in the middle of a mission.

I am a frigging AC superfan but this game is just disheartening so far. Only a few hours in, though. I guess hopefully it'll improve.

Nemesis_

.....sounds like you shouldn't be holding A or X as you approach the wall.

Ricker

Sequence 3 is such a mess,the hell with the secondary objectives...disarm the canons but I can't kill any guards? took me about 5 tries just not to fail the conversation,and about 5 more to get the map...I actually killed George Washington without even knowing it lol,it flashed on the desynch screen,thats how I knew...some awful mechanics for the stealth stuff they want you to do...

Effect

You guys weren't kidding when you said this game was glitchy. I've gotten stuck and fallen through geometry more times in Sequence 1 than in all 4 previous AC games combined.

I thought the game was patched. This is still an issue? Hmm. This talk is really making me consider canceling my Wii U version.

N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member
Is your complaint that they poorly contextualize history within the story (i.e. what is actually going on at all) or that you are unfamiliar with the history (because, I assume, you are not American) and thus they do a poor job of explaining the history in game?

I think they do a poor job of explaining what exactly is going on and why I should care. I think they expect people to have a greater knowledge American history than I have. It just felt like 'go here, do this, now kill that guy', which to be fair is what the previous games were about too but in those games I could at least connect to the story and I had a lot of trouble doing that with this game.

I think they do a poor job of explaining what exactly is going on and why I should care. I think they expect people to have a greater knowledge American history than I have. It just felt like 'go here, do this, now kill that guy', which to be fair is what the previous games were about too but in those games I could at least connect to the story and I had a lot of trouble doing that with this game.

There's a few moments that assume you know "this is history bro" but the 'go here kill this dude for no reason why is Connor helping these people?' Stuff is just because it is a shit story not because of over reliance on history

Ambitious

@Stealth: I'm pretty sure that if you initiated an air assassination in the last three games, it wasn't possible for the victim to get you detected. In AC3, it happened to me several times already that the victim saw me mid-air and I had to restart.

@Combat: I love how you can slash an enemy's face a dozen times and he still doesn't give a fuck.

I posted the exact same question a few pages ago: The problem is that not all liberation missions are on the map. I just ran around for a few minutes until I found it. It was a red rectangle on the minimap.

How exactly can you recruit assassin's to do your dirty jobs?

In cities, you'll have a few 'Liberation Contract' icons on your map. The first time you meet these guys, they'll tell you how shitty conditions are, and that they like what you're trying to do. They might even give you specific tasks: like a doctor in New York telling you to get rid of blankets infected with smallpox. You'll also have several 'Liberation Missions' on your map. These range from defending a farmer as he harvests his land to putting down rabid dogs or the aformentioned burning of infected blankets. Each one you do (I think there's three of each type) adds up to your total control of that particular district. Not every mission will appear on your map, so just keep an eye out while you're exploring the cities if you're still short a few. You can also check your progress in the Log section of the map, and see what kinds of missions you still need to do.

Once a district has been liberated, head back to your contact, who will be marked on the map with a black 'Liberation Mission'-icon. In a cutscene, your contact will point you in the way of the chief Templar overseeing the district, and volunteer to help kill him. During that mission, you'll also unlock that Recruit's specific ability: for instance, starting a riot or setting up an ambush. Once that mission is complete, your contact will swear allegiance to you and you'll have a new Assassin trainee.

Each trainee starts at level 0, and maxes out at level 11. They'll gain XP by coming to your aid in the overworld, but you can also send them on missions like in the previous games. Hold down the RB button (on the Xbox) to open up the Assassin menu. You can select one of your recruit's abilities from there, but if you press X you open the map of the Colonies. Each colony has a few missions tied to it. You'll need to build up your Assassins' skills before you can send them on the high-risk missions: this takes a longer time than it did in the previous games. XP is also earned a lot slower, and once you gain control of a Colony, the Templar's can't take it over again like they could in Revelations. At least, not to my knowledge.

Completing missions brings in coin and the occasional item, alongside XP for your Recruit. At higher levels, they're stronger and more resilient and can come to your aid more often. Assuming they're not on an adventure in the Colonies, that is.

Hope that helps for everyone having trouble with the system.

tha_devil

I only have to liberate the above section of Boston, but I see no more missions to do that. Am I missing something?

I dont know if answered allready. But for me, the game did not show the last icon on map. However, there is a little 'red zone', go there and you will find the objective.

.GqueB.

Banned

The UI isn't very good either actually. I still don't know what the fetch quests are about. No idea where to get half that stuff or how to refer back to the lists.

@Stealth: I'm pretty sure that if you initiated an air assassination in the last three games, it wasn't possible for the victim to get you detected. In AC3, it happened to me several times already that the victim saw me mid-air and I had to restart.

@Combat: I love how you can slash an enemy's face a dozen times and he still doesn't give a fuck.

I posted the exact same question a few pages ago: The problem is that not all liberation missions are on the map. I just ran around for a few minutes until I found it. It was a red rectangle on the minimap.

I'm still stuck trying to liberate northern Boston. I cleared all the Liberation quests and have only 1 left in the whole of Boston. I go inside the building where there icon shows and nobody is there. I think its a bug :/

Top Bottom