• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed III |OT| Easier to read than Ratonhnhaké:ton

Dr Dogg

OMG the maps are so fucking bad. The left stick should MOVE THE MAP. the right stick should ZOOM. WTF IS THIS SHITTTT UBISOFT

The controls, especially in the menus are doing my nut in. How hard is it to grasp in the game its self that the left stick controls movement and the right the camera that this should be equally applied to functions like navigating the map. Plus what's with the ridiculous scrollable lists to find anything? It's bad enough that there's little to no explanation about the mechanics and functions that it's like a challenge just to find the details is the glossary.

After really enjoying the first 3 entry's the last 2 installments have felt like fan games. No further is this point illustrated than controls. Starting out with the puppeteering concept of Y/Triangle controls the head, B/Circle and X/Square the hands and A/X the feet and then modified with low profile and high profile actions. It's all a bit of a jumbled mess since Revelations and it's not like they have added a load of new functions. Even the art direction has taken a turn for the worse. Like how Desmond now looks. He's gone from actually looking like Francisco Randez in I, II and Brotherhood to a characture on a stretched balloon in Revelations to the head-in-a-vice version in III, Also in the first 3 installments Altaïr and Ezio both looked exactly like Desmond, I'm assuming to show that they were from the same bloodline so why change it?

UbiSoft either need to seriously convince Patrice to come back or consider wrapping this franchise up. Though doubt this will happen, it is UbiSoft after all.

Just reached Sequence 7 doing nothing but story missions.....

3rmpuf.jpg

So is there any visual customization for Connor?

I liked changing the colours of Ezios get up in the previous games. It was a nice little touch.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Pretty sure I am done with this. It has just gotten boring. Everything is just not as good as the earlier ones. We the people demand Patrice for AC4.

FireVoa

Just finished the Midnight Ride on Sequence 7 and so far I'm 100% synced on all missions. Not exactly hard either, save for a couple of re-try's they've all been pretty easy to complete.

Also, the game so far is no where near as enjoyable or good as Assassin's Creed 2 and the fact I need to play the multilayer to "100% Completion" this game is enough to drop my opinion of this game on its own.

Hero

So how's the general consensus on this game? Best AC game?

I'm really intrigued by it. I have literally no interest in the previous AC games but I find the premise and setting for AC3 to be unique. Will I be able to jump into AC3 without having played the previous games and not being lost in the story or characters?

Well after that never ending tutorial im starting at sequence 5 and things are opening up abit.

Im really starting to love it now but the controls can go take a dump becuase whoever thought assigning b to be everything is a god damn retard.

Try to loot a body when you have a follower , nope just switches back and forth from follow to wait e.t.c

And some of the missions are so glitchy. Its a shame that the bugs are really bringing it down for me. How has no review mentioned the control/bug issues with this game?

Im really loving it so im trying to move past the bugs and glitches but its just such a pain.

Will I be able to jump into AC3 without having played the previous games and not being lost in the story or characters?

No. If you're interested, you're gonna have to do some reading up, or just dive right in and hope for the best. They've built a whole mythology around the Assassins/Templars and the First Civilization, and the only explanation you get in this game is part of a three minute opening cinematic.

Beat the game.

Spoiler talk

Still not 100% sure on what the deal was with Minerva vs Juno..

Is Desmond dead, its so unclear.

I was expecting a dramatic moment with Connor removing the tomahawk from the pillar to signify the end of the war. I was expecting an actual ENDING to the revolution... never got those....

I was expecting something a bit more than an audio news report of THE WORLD IS GETTING PRETTY FUCKED BUT NOT AS FUCKED AS IT COULD HAVE BEEN.

I suppose in the next line of Asscreed games its going to be Assassins vs Templars vs Juno.

Going from what I've read in the spoiler thread:
Apparently Juno's plan was to enslave humanity all along. She manipulated your during Brotherhood/Revelations and III.

Desmond is dead, at least according to someone who worked on the game.

That moment is in the game, haven't you watched the post-credits epilogue scene? There's a few epilogue missions, too.

Yeah, that sucked balls.

Ambitious

The controls, especially in the menus are doing my nut in. How hard is it to grasp in the game its self that the left stick controls movement and the right the camera that this should be equally applied to functions like navigating the map. Plus what's with the ridiculous scrollable lists to find anything? It's bad enough that there's little to no explanation about the mechanics and functions that it's like a challenge just to find the details is the glossary.

And if you're in a submenu like the item lists in the crafting menu and go back via B/O, it always scrolls back to the beginning. Together with the fact that special items which can only be crafted once won't be removed from the list after crafting, it's real fun to try to figure out which ones you're still missing.
What the bloody hell were they thinking? How could anyone approve this bullshit?

Not even close. It's pretty much the definition of one step forward, two steps back.

Not everybody shares this opinion, btw.

It's a very good assassin's creed game. But there are setbacks: I think it teaches it's mechanics poorly, Stuff isn't properly explained, like Artisan leveling up etc. Connor's voice actor is all over the place. At times he's intriguing, sometimes he sounds like he's bored out of his mind reading the lines(Monotone, like some generic native american) Can't get attached to the guy. No real Lock on targeting is a bad choice imo.

The good
Attacks are brutal, I get flashes of a Robin Hood game(Ambushing Caravan's in the woods), a pirates game(Naval Warfare, Treasure hunting) which is awesome. Supporting cast is nice.
Lots of stuff to do, but it's not really part of the story(Takes too much time to setup the characters with a twist)

Overall I'd say it's a solid A- Game. There are bugs but the game seems to run smoother than the previous A.Creed.

Not even close. It's pretty much the definition of one step forward, two steps back.

I have to agree with this. The controls are sloppy. Running up walls when you meant to just round a corner pisses me off. Story is mediocre. Glitches everywhere. I ran across a group of soldiers in the woods and 2 of them were stuck inside a rock with just their heads poking out.

It is fun. It's a decent game and is by no means horrible, it just has a lot of problems for a game that is the 5th iteration in a series.

I swear, I feel like I'm playing an entirely different game to the one a lot of people in here are talking about. >_<

I'm with you here if you mean to say you can't quite grasp all the complaints about things like combat and controls. I've never had a less frustrating time playing an AC game. I believe the controls are tight and streamlined, and combat and visceral and a bit more difficult of you slack on countering and such. Of course this doesn't mean there's no jank in this game ;there absolutely is.

I just can't wait to see this game on PC. My god. Especially after those first two captain kidd missions.

I just think there are a lot of great things they improved on, and the naval stuff is especially awesome. Once you've got a clear idea of it the homestead stuff is really great. It is just vaguely explained which is definitely an issue.

I have noticed a lot of people that weren't quite pleased/impressed with the series bought/played the game and feel it's the worst...

I'm with you here if you mean to say you can't quite grasp all the complaints about things like combat and controls. I've never had a less frustrating time playing an AC game. I believe the controls are tight and streamlined, and combat and visceral and a bit more difficult of you slack on countering and such. Of course this doesn't mean there's no jank in this game ;there absolutely is.

I've accidentally jumped to my demise, run unto walls I never wanted to even touch, and twirled my way to victory way too many times to agree with this. But, to be fair, it's not just AC3's problem: it's been prevalent in every AC game to date. AC3's general buggyness just shines a bigger light on the issue.

As I said, they need to toss everything out and rework it from the ground up.

SJRB

Gold Member
I've accidentally jumped to my demise, run unto walls I never wanted to even touch, and twirled my way to victory way too many times to agree with this. But, to be fair, it's not just AC3's problem: it's been prevalent in every AC game to date. AC3's general buggyness just shines a bigger light on the issue.

As I said, they need to toss everything out and rework it from the ground up.

The problem is that with the new engine supposedly they did rework it from the ground up, which is probably why the majority of comments in this thread are about disappointing performance.

In my experience I've found the free-running a large improvement, it still has the odd hiccup where it does something I don't want to do but it feels far less prevalent than in previous games.

I just can't wait to see this game on PC. My god. Especially after those first two captain kidd missions.

I just think there are a lot of great things they improved on, and the naval stuff is especially awesome. Once you've got a clear idea of it the homestead stuff is really great. It is just vaguely explained which is definitely an issue.

I have noticed a lot of people that weren't quite pleased/impressed with the series bought/played the game and feel it's the worst...

Indigo, I absolutely respect your opinion and think highly of you. But this game has flashes of brilliance that are marred by bad controls and design choices.

-After I skin why something does the camera stick in 1 direction without letting me move it for a few seconds?
- Why does the map control with the right thumb stick?
-Why does jumping around in trees solely stick to the right trigger and means I'm safe to go to the next branch but it'll launch me off onto a rock or some other bullshit if no other branches are there when I don't want to do that?
-Connors VO is supremely monotonous
-The HUD is super busy, shit is everywhere.
-Combat is really relegated to just wait for opponent to attack, hit B, attack or disarm, win. Which the series has really always done, but it seems even easier than before.
-I can be shot 4 or 5 times by a rifle before it becomes a problem.
-"Training" tutorial is 3+hours long and still manages to not explain the mechanics very well.
-Shit ton of frame rate drops.
-The level of detail is garbage and the shadows are dithered as hell.
-Why when fast traveling to an exit of the map does it not take me to where I was trying to exit to as opposed to the entrance of the exit for me to just look at 2 load screens instead of 1.
-Why must the beginning missions play like this, cutscene in dock, run to bar, cutscene to open door of bar, walk 15 feet once inside of the bar, cutscene for mission, walk back 15 feet to entrance, cutscene to open door, leave bar, meet person outside of the bar, cutscene with the person, start mission. It's bloated and unnecessary.

Point is there are design choices that are just not that great. It's not a terrible game, as some of the hyperbole would like you to think. It just has a shit ton of jank and should have been addressed before release, or bare minimum more thoroughly from reviewers. If your a fan of the series like me, these can be overlooked. I can't wait till the PC release so I can sell my 360 copy away. If it has proper PC support some of my gripes can be addressed one way or the other. That said, I've yet to touch the MP which I assume is great if it's anything like Brotherhoods mp. So there is that.

Kiraly

Homestead mission spoiler (Achilles)

In the second mission you had to retrieve the first Colonial Assassin's outfit, why does it not show up in the basement of the manor or somewhere else? I thought you could use it or something like that

rvy

Banned
Homestead mission spoiler (Achilles)

In the second mission you had to retrieve the first Colonial Assassin's outfit, why does it not show up in the basement of the manor or somewhere else? I thought you could use it or something like that

There are more missions. You only unlock the outfit after you finish the painting mission.

Linius

I just found out my artisans are worthless for me now. I've only got three residents in my homestead and I didn't thought of doing missions afterwards to level them up. Now I'm in sequence 11 and as far as I understood from guides on the internet I can't do shit with them no more because these side missions were only playable in specific sequences :S

One thing I wanna ask, does anyone else think guards on rooftops is just an awful design?

It's been pissing me off since the first game. The whole point of going to the rooftops is to avoid suspicion and go fast, but I often have to take some ridiculous long way around just to avoid having to murder a bunch of guards.

I understand why they have them from a "balance" perspective, but it's just no fun at all to be running happily along the rooftop, then a yellow bar starts filling up, but the free running starts janking up and not letting you go the way you thought you could go and now all the guards in the city are after you.

At the very least they shouldn't make them suspicious on sight if you're incognito. Why is it so against the law for you to be running on the roofs?

theDeeDubs

Enjoying this game so much. It's by far my favorite in the series. I wasn't expecting to enjoy it this much. I probably spent 5 hours just roaming around the frontier doing various things last night. Connor is awesome and his Assassin outfit is my favorite of the three we've had so far. The free running is much improved and the combat feels so good now once I got it down.

Stalking through the canopy and liberating a fort is some of the my favorite gameplay I've had in a long time. AC 3 has knocked off Dishonored and Dragon's Dogma as my GotY.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
After completing the game, can I find any caravans?

I feel like there won't be any more.

rvy

Banned
I just found out my artisans are worthless for me now. I've only got three residents in my homestead and I didn't thought of doing missions afterwards to level them up. Now I'm in sequence 11 and as far as I understood from guides on the internet I can't do shit with them no more because these side missions were only playable in specific sequences :S

Fuck.

N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member

Shit. I'm in the same position. I really hope you're wrong but I wouldn't be surprised if you aren't. This game is full of weird ass design decisions.

One thing I wanna ask, does anyone else think guards on rooftops is just an awful design?

It's been pissing me off since the first game. The whole point of going to the rooftops is to avoid suspicion and go fast, but I often have to take some ridiculous long way around just to avoid having to murder a bunch of guards.

I understand why they have them from a "balance" perspective, but it's just no fun at all to be running happily along the rooftop, then a yellow bar starts filling up, but the free running starts janking up and not letting you go the way you thought you could go and now all the guards in the city are after you.

At the very least they shouldn't make them suspicious on sight if you're incognito. Why is it so against the law for you to be running on the roofs?
In previous games I found that typically my best course of action when encountering a guard on a rooftop was to take him out, in AC3 it seems like there is a greater delay before they'll give chase so I find I can typically just keep going my merry way as long as I give them a decent berth.

Kiraly

Is there not some fucking high shit to climb in this godforsaken colonial America, like that church in Acre in the first game?

SJRB

Gold Member

If this is true then I am royally fucked, since I've been saving most Homestead missions for the endgame.

Ghost23

What do you have to do to get the achievement for getting 100% on all main mission constraints? Also, what's the best way to make money? I'm broke.

What do you have to do to get the achievement for getting 100% on all main mission constraints? Also, what's the best way to make money? I'm broke.

Complete all the optional objectives on the history missions. To make money I just send naval convoys to Bahamas loaded with medicine (digestive tonic or the one made from castoreum).

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Complete all the optional objectives on the history missions. To make money I just send naval convoys to Bahamas loaded with medicine (digestive tonic or the one made from castoreum).

Knew that it was the optional objectives. I'm glad I started to do them all the way since the beginning.

In terms of optional objectives,
the Lee chase will have people tear their hair out.

Knew that it was the optional objectives. I'm glad I started to do them all the way since the beginning.

Fucking hell, I just gave up on that one. It's glitchy as hell and annoying to boot.

Amir0x

Banned
Man this game without all the edge jaggieness and a lock 30~60fps would be so much better. I think I really should have waited for the PC version and hoped for the best, the framerate is so bad it's really starting to affect my enjoyment :(

N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member

It was a pain the the ass to do it without the optional objectives.

All homestead missions can be done after you beat the game.

I have been looking online but can't find anything, could anyone tell me if there is an equivalent of glyph/rift puzzles to find, I have the game and I am on sequence 8 but I haven't found anything so far.

Top Bottom