• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed III |OT| Easier to read than Ratonhnhaké:ton

Lima

I feel like an idiot not being able to chain kills properly like I did in past games. Is it timing based this time around, i.e. you can no longer just mash a direction and kill button after counter-killing a guard?

You have to highlight the next guard you wanna kill. And no don't mash the button, just press it once. It is kinda like Batman. You don't wanna mash the button to keep the combo going.

Also please people stop saying that there is no double assassination in this game in low profile.

Go behind two guys, hold RT/R1 down and it will highlight both guards. Double assassination, there you go.

The game direction in this is horrible. The artisan leveling system wasn't made clear at all, the characters in a mission will say one thing yet mean something else (ie
the first Samuel Adams mission where he says to follow him but you are actually supposed to lead
, and during missions there is no clear way to see what you are supposed to do next or how to get 100% sync because it disappears, and interface itself is just garbage. Sure it looks nice, but its not practical. And it bugs the hell out of me that the game places a custom marker randomly on my map.

JB1981

Had no clue I could do this. Have yet to try it, something that should have been explained. I don't need hand held, but damn if some of this just isn't it explained at all. This could have been avoided if everything was put inside of an instruction manual. We should have gotten an instruction manual and no tutorial, I hate when game don't have a proper instructions manual. Instead we get a half assed tutorial. Thank you for telling me this though.

There is a digital manual in the menu

Scrabble

If you guys have time watch the AC3 segment on invisible walls and that pretty much sums up my thoughts exactly on the game.
http://www.gametrailers.com/full-ep...-walls-episode-231-----the-games-have-arrived
Skip to the 48 minute mark.

To me all the stuff people are complaining about is so trivial. Sure there are a few minor glitches and every now and then you'll get caught up on something, but the game as a whole I feel is truly awesome. No other game immerses you into the world as well as this game does and the story truly does feel like an epic which last decades. It just boggles my mind how people get so worked up over the most insignificant aspects of a game and cant appreciate the journey but instead are getting worked up on not being able to craft something or get frustrated that they cant 100% sync a mission. I mean your missing the point entirely.

Raxus

The game direction in this is horrible. The artisan leveling system wasn't made clear at all, the characters in a mission will say one thing yet mean something else (ie
the first Samuel Adams mission where he says to follow him but you are actually supposed to lead
, and during missions there is no clear way to see what you are supposed to do next or how to get 100% sync because it disappears, and interface itself is just garbage. Sure it looks nice, but its not practical. And it bugs the hell out of me that the game places a custom marker randomly on my map.

Yeah one of the many tiny problems in this game that really drags it down. I hate some of the optional objectives too since the game gives you no direction on how to DO some of them.

3 powder keg mission in a storm was a nightmare. Took me 2 hours to do that if not more. It really shines a light on the biggest flaw of the game which is the 6 hour tutorial which often repeats what we already know without fleshing out key details like using snares and other items in combat, the improvements to the fist fighting in the game, moving assassinations, COMBAT ON THE GO (perhaps the biggest change gets no mention) etc. I had to go online to realize all of these are now a thing.

N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member
If you guys have time watch the AC3 segment on invisible walls and that pretty much sums up my thoughts exactly on the game.
http://www.gametrailers.com/full-ep...-walls-episode-231-----the-games-have-arrived

To me all the stuff people are complaining about is so trivial. Sure there are a few minor glitches and every now and then you'll get caught up on something, but the game as a whole I feel is truly awesome. No other game immerses you into the world as well as this game does and the story truly does feel like an epic which last decades. It just boggles my mind how people get so worked up over the most insignificant aspects of a game and cant appreciate the journey but instead are getting worked up on not being able to craft something or get frustrated that they cant 100% sync a mission. I mean your missing the point entirely.

Those insignificant things and the amount of them directly affect my appreciation of the journey.

DodgerSan

So from reading the last few pages, it seems like nothing but complaints. Is anyone enjoying this game? It feels like all the problems are outweighing the positives.

N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member
So from reading the last few pages, it seems like nothing but complaints. Is anyone enjoying this game? It feels like all the problems are outweighing the positives.

It does have a lot of flaws but I still enjoyed playing it and I'll be playing it for another while.

Amir0x

Banned

Things like the extremely poor framerate and a massive array of glitches are not "trivial."

It's not that you can't think the game is great... it's trying to say that everyone else must be nitpicking that is wrong. The game has a LOT of problems.

Yeah, the Sequence 8 chase is probably the single worst mission in the series in terms of scripting. I'll just describe it in non-spoiler terms:

- The game does not explain that the target must be kept alive. This goes into the "game doesn't explain this!" complaints that keep showing up in the thread (which is ridiculous, by the way; they changed so much of the controls and then became the only game in the series not to put you through a tutorial?) Anyway, if you by chance win the chase and stab him, game over.

An easy deterrent for this would be to force fists as the default action at the start of the chase. The mission scripters messed up here by setting you into a guard battle at the start of the race, which is a problem because you automatically draw your weapon (in turn meaning if you attempt to tackle the target you'll gut him instead).

- The target is tuned to run as fast as you (after 10 laps I should know; the only way to make up ground is to improve your line. It's basically Templar Turismo.) For anyone who remembers the awful AC1 race challenges, this is what it basically turns into.

- The target runs by several "trap" objects. Social traps are too be expected (coins, people in the way, guards, etc) and are a valid mechanic. Unfortunately the level designers in this case thought it would be smart to use magnet traps (hay bales, climbable walls, step drops) instead, which basically changes user impression from "I made a mistake" to "it's not my fault!"

There's really only two solutions for this one; either disable the problems (climbing is useless in this sequence, so I could see disabling that and removing the hay bale) or adjust the path to not follow these objects so closely. (Or slow down the target, I suppose. Falling for one trap is almost enough to lose the entire chase.)

- For some reason the target also does not behave typical "slow down when ahead" chase logic either. I noticed he seems to stop at about 44-48m away (the edge of distance) but only in certain situations. He never slows down and will just return to maximum speed if you get to within 40m. (If you fall back 30m you may as well fail it and start over.)

Also worth noting that if you try anything but a tackle (one time I got ahead of him, turned to face, punched...) he just goes right through you. Might have been a smarter idea to just end the chase when within a certain distance. (Or better yet, build your chase mechanics after Yakuza instead)

- The target passes by several guard points, passing by easily while they will attack you immediately. Considering how the cutscene prior makes it clear you are both suspicious this is a problem. At the very least the target should draw their attention.

- The real gutpunch is just the story events that follow. :lol Even if you do win the race, you'll probably go look for the door-punch thread after.

Lima

Yeah I enjoy it. Probably my favorite ass creed. The secondary counter with Y brings a lot of cool stuff to the combat system.

I really like the new controls, much more streamlined and responsive. Never had a problem with anything in this game to be honest.

42 hours in and just finished sequence 10.

Well, I hate to break it to you, but those things are part of the 'journey'. So if the journey is flawed, I can understand why some people don't enjoy it.

And yes, I enjoy the game too. It's not my favorite AC, but it's still pretty good. There's just a lot of little things that should've been done better, or not at all.

Klocker

What say you GAF??

... should I just keep the rental and beat the game and return it or does it have RDR values of replayability or free roaming and interesting things to do outside of main story ... for at least 1 month until Far Cry 3 hits?

thanks!

Lima

Getting full synchronisation is the only way to play this game for me. You are playing historical events that already happened and I want to relive it the same way.

It does have a lot of flaws but I still enjoyed playing it and I'll be playing it for another while.

Yeah, I love the game in general. The frontier is amazing, sort of gives a bit of that Snake Eater meets AC style. It just has about 2 months worth of bugs to fix, ranging from the minor (floating drinkers) to the crippling (bad mission scripting) to the rehashed (AC2's bug where you lose all supplies on death) to the overlooked (game spoiling a few of its own surprises out of order) to the nonsensical (redid the combat system but don't explain how to use it).

Nonetheless it's a huge break from the AC2 Italy/Rome/Constantinople style of rooftop adventures and the game keeps finding ways to surprise. I'm at Sequence 8 and at least 30 hours in.

What say you GAF??

... should I just keep the rental and beat the game and return it or does it have RDR values of replayability or free roaming and interesting things to do outside of main story ... for at least 1 month until Far Cry 3 hits?

thanks!

Didn't play a lot of RDR but the AC3 Frontier seems comparable to me...maybe not as much in the way of random events but still a ridiculous amount of things to do

Scrabble

Those insignificant things and the amount of them directly affect my appreciation of the journey.

That's fair, If you have a low tolerance or feel you need to 100% games then I can't change your mind. It's just rare to play a game that's this ambitious and still feels like it has a lot of artistic integrity attached to it which I feel people should be applauding, but instead people are just complaining about not being able to 100% sync missions or not being able to fully upgrade their home. To me this is a true work of art which accomplishes what no other medium can do and that's let you live in this time period and let you experience what it must have been like to have been in that era with all the turmoil taking place. I thought Conner's story was more engrossing and personal then any other entry in the series and without getting into spoiler territory things really turn out somber and i'm still thinking about pivotal moments long after I've completed it.

I finally gave in and started playing the game the way it wants me to play, rather than the way I want to play. I'm enjoying it much more this way.

Finished all the naval/Peg Leg missions. Really great stuff. Been recruiting assassins (only just now figuring out how) and expanding the homestead too. This game is just a lot of fun once you learn how to get around its flaws.

Tawpgun

It just seems like they didn't care as much, or didn't have enough time. The ending was SO rushed.

Asscreed 1:
Sweet boss battle, You find out what the apple does, you see Subject 16's blood writings.

2:
Crazy first civilization twist. Minerva talking directly to Desmond blew my mind

Brohood:
Killing Lucy was a crazy twist. More first civilization stuff. Juno.

Revelations:
Best ending by far. The switching between Altair and Ezio was amazing. When Ezio address Desmond... :O That last walk...

3:
You press a button and the world is saved? I think? Was very anti-climactic.

Speculation regarding where to take the series.
They either need to say Desmond isn't dead (it's not clear if he is, all we know is he collapsed ) and they follow Connor to France for the French Revolution in spin off games where you'll be looking for pieces of Eden to use against Juno?

Bucca

Fools are always so certain of themselves, but wiser men so full of doubts.
You have to highlight the next guard you wanna kill. And no don't mash the button, just press it once. It is kinda like Batman. You don't wanna mash the button to keep the combo going.

Do I have to time it after the first kill is finished? While the first counter-kill is happening I highlight the next guard and press square only to have Connor do nothing after the animation is over.

SJRB

Gold Member
Please don't tell me that one mission in sequence 9 is the only mission in winter season?

I was looking forward to the snow the entire game!

Just finished collecting all the feathers. The outfit is boss.

No, it's not.

O, feathers grant you an outfit? I was wondering what the feathers would do. What outfit is it?

Carbonox

I just collected all of the feathers too. Surprised an achievement isn't attached to it. Oh well. Off to check out what the outfit is. I can't believe how fucking stingy this game is with new outfits.

Is there a particular strategy to fighting the big guys (the ones with heavy weapons?) They stun you if you use a combo and blocking doesn't really seem to work...

rvy

Banned
Please don't tell me that one mission in sequence 9 is the only mission in winter season?

I was looking forward to the snow the entire game!

O, feathers grant you an outfit? I was wondering what the feathers would do. What outfit is it?

That shit outfit that teenager Connor starts with.

In the naval mission "Dead Chest's Treasure"
How do you kill the guy before he reaches the cave, I keep failing.

As you're sliding down the boat (right before the cave), do an air assassination on him. Doesn't matter how far you are away from him, as long as he's highlighted you should be able to do it.

iddqd

Pig herding. PIG HERDING!
Had to do it three times because it would not grant me the success the first two tries.
I feel this thread is a QA thread for Ubisoft. Saving money, GAF style.

SJRB

Gold Member
That shit outfit that teenager Connor starts with.

Sheesh, I have to collect 100 feathers for an outfit my main character [technically] already has? Well shit, I guess I can stop collecting feathers then.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
For those of you going for accolades in the multiplayer for that medal 100% thingy: *SomethingAwfulPoliceSiren.gif*YOU CAN USE WOLF-PACK TO GET ACCOLADES LIKE ANIMUS HACKER*SomethingAwfulPoliceSiren.gif*

Yes, you read that right. Anything not objective based (IE: "Capture the most points/defend the points against 2 enemies"/Domination "Capture the most flags/defend the most flags"/Artifact Assault) is able to be done in Wolfpack.

If you're going for Animus Hacker in public games, I suggest the non-silent one and pray your teammates are smart enough to let you kill 8 times in addition to kill anyone nearly going to stun you on Sequences above 8.

But if you have poison, and are playing a new round and have the poison loadout set-up, you can get 3/8 off the bat if your team isn't quick on the draw by poisoning one dude, unlock/lock on the next dude, kill him. Kill the other person. Poison should've kicked in and killed the other/giving you credit. 3/8. Then it's a matter of slowly getting the others.

In fact, if you and your team is good and preventing stuns you can also get the two killstreak with Animus hacks in a round easily. (Though the lower killstreak bonuses maybe easier for this one)

Now if Wolfpack was able to be played offline with an offline profile and had people to stun, it'd be a pretty good "offline" simulation of a real multiplayer match, kinda.

Kerub

Banned
Yeah, the Sequence 8 chase is probably the single worst mission in the series in terms of scripting. I'll just describe it in non-spoiler terms:

- The game does not explain that the target must be kept alive. This goes into the "game doesn't explain this!" complaints that keep showing up in the thread (which is ridiculous, by the way; they changed so much of the controls and then became the only game in the series not to put you through a tutorial?) Anyway, if you by chance win the chase and stab him, game over.

An easy deterrent for this would be to force fists as the default action at the start of the chase. The mission scripters messed up here by setting you into a guard battle at the start of the race, which is a problem because you automatically draw your weapon (in turn meaning if you attempt to tackle the target you'll gut him instead).

- The target is tuned to run as fast as you (after 10 laps I should know; the only way to make up ground is to improve your line. It's basically Templar Turismo.) For anyone who remembers the awful AC1 race challenges, this is what it basically turns into.

- The target runs by several "trap" objects. Social traps are too be expected (coins, people in the way, guards, etc) and are a valid mechanic. Unfortunately the level designers in this case thought it would be smart to use magnet traps (hay bales, climbable walls, step drops) instead, which basically changes user impression from "I made a mistake" to "it's not my fault!"

There's really only two solutions for this one; either disable the problems (climbing is useless in this sequence, so I could see disabling that and removing the hay bale) or adjust the path to not follow these objects so closely. (Or slow down the target, I suppose. Falling for one trap is almost enough to lose the entire chase.)

- For some reason the target also does not behave typical "slow down when ahead" chase logic either. I noticed he seems to stop at about 44-48m away (the edge of distance) but only in certain situations. He never slows down and will just return to maximum speed if you get to within 40m. (If you fall back 30m you may as well fail it and start over.)

Also worth noting that if you try anything but a tackle (one time I got ahead of him, turned to face, punched...) he just goes right through you. Might have been a smarter idea to just end the chase when within a certain distance. (Or better yet, build your chase mechanics after Yakuza instead)

- The target passes by several guard points, passing by easily while they will attack you immediately. Considering how the cutscene prior makes it clear you are both suspicious this is a problem. At the very least the target should draw their attention.

- The real gutpunch is just the story events that follow. :lol Even if you do win the race, you'll probably go look for the door-punch thread after.

I just gave this another shot in hopes of beating it. I ran a few laps without getting closer to him, then I tried to use a shortcut and got really close to him. JUST as I was about to tackle him, Connor climbs up on a barell and sits there while he gets away since the run button is the same as the climb up on shit and sit on the shit-button.

I was really close to stop playing this game and getting rid of it on ebay.

I just gave this another shot in hopes of beating it. I ran a few laps without getting closer to him, then I tried to use a shortcut and got really close to him. JUST as I was about to tackle him, Connor climbs up on a barell and sits there while he gets away since the run button is the same as the climb up on shit and sit on the shit-button.

I was really close to stop playing this game and getting rid of it on ebay.

Yeah, that's how frustrating it is. The best places to make up ground seem to be in initial zigzag through the sidestreets (no hay/seems difficult to trigger a climb) and by running over the empty cart to the left of the second batch of guards (you skip the guards and run straight through whereas your opponent runs wide right). And if you fall behind just run the other way and restart; it's just not worth running 3-5 laps to make up 30m when you could restart and make up the ground instantly.

Just make sure to dpad set yourself to fist or it will all be for nothing.

Derrick01

Banned
The sequence 8 chase wasn't too bad on its own for me, but fuck that sync objective. Can't bump into or shove anyone? In tight areas where he throws money and gets a dozen people to run after it? Fuuuuuuuuuuck that.

The sequence 8 chase wasn't too bad on its own for me, but fuck that sync objective. Can't bump into or shove anyone? In tight areas where he throws money and gets a dozen people to run after it? Fuuuuuuuuuuck that.

What makes it worse is that you can fail the objective before the game even shows the objective onscreen. (Actually that happens several times in the game...)

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
This thread is bumming me out. I've been waiting for the PC version, and it really makes me sad that it seems AC3 is a step back from Brotherhood, which I consider to be the new watermark for all future AC games.

Considering how good the UI and map have been in AC2 and Brotherhood, a lot of what you guys are complaining about baffles me. Not because I don't believe you, but because I'm baffled how the developers could have done away with so much of what made Brotherhood such a great experience.

SxP

Where do I find my weapons? I bought a sword and it said it a new weapon was available in the Homestead, but I can't find it. I did find a rack with a tomahawk and rope dart but not my sword.

Kerub

Banned
Yeah, that's how frustrating it is. The best places to make up ground seem to be in initial zigzag through the sidestreets (no hay/seems difficult to trigger a climb) and by running over the empty cart to the left of the second batch of guards (you skip the guards and run straight through whereas your opponent runs wide right). And if you fall behind just run the other way and restart; it's just not worth running 3-5 laps to make up 30m when you could restart and make up the ground instantly.

Just make sure to dpad set yourself to fist or it will all be for nothing.

Thanks, I didn't think of that for some reason and now I beat it.

Top Bottom