• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed III |OT| Easier to read than Ratonhnhaké:ton

This thread is bumming me out. I've been waiting for the PC version, and it really makes me sad that it seems AC3 is a step back from Brotherhood, which I consider to be the new watermark for all future AC games.

Considering how good the UI and map have been in AC2 and Brotherhood, a lot of what you guys are complaining about baffles me. Not because I don't believe you, but because I'm baffled how the developers could have done away with so much of what made Brotherhood such a great experience.

"A step down" has to be given some context; I mean AC3 is still a completely viable AC game and the amount of world content dwarfs Brotherhood easily. But clearly they shoved it all together so quickly at the end that some significant patch time is still required. I think you'll like it, but the polish level between now and a few patches later is probably going to be significant.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
"A step down" has to be given some context; I mean AC3 is still a completely viable AC game and the amount of world content dwarfs Brotherhood easily. But clearly they shoved it all together so quickly at the end that some significant patch time is still required. I think you'll like it, but the polish level between now and a few patches later is probably going to be significant.

I hope these much needed changes end up in the PC version at release.

Lima

Start of sequence 12 spoiler

Connor looking like a boss once he shaved his head. I hope he keeps that hair style after the end of the game

I don't think this is a step down or back or whatever. It's a massive step to the side, though.

Despite my complaints (holy god this UI), on the whole I am liking this better than Brotherhood and way better than the shoddy product that was Revelations. Though, admittedly, maybe I would have disliked some of these changes if it has not been for all the nearly identical AC games in the last few years.

DodgerSan

This thread is bumming me out. I've been waiting for the PC version, and it really makes me sad that it seems AC3 is a step back from Brotherhood, which I consider to be the new watermark for all future AC games.

Considering how good the UI and map have been in AC2 and Brotherhood, a lot of what you guys are complaining about baffles me. Not because I don't believe you, but because I'm baffled how the developers could have done away with so much of what made Brotherhood such a great experience.

That's exactly how I feel. But the people who are enjoying it despite the problems seem to be on my wavelength. I'll probably pick it up later.

rvy

Banned
Huh, now that I think of it, we never saw that E3 demo in the game, did we?

I don't think so, no. In any case, they sure managed to make Fort missions incredible looking in the E3 demo. Turns out they aren't so good after all.
Some stuff seems to have been removed, you used to be able to crouch by yourself as opposed to it being contextual, they completely changed how to dodge animal attacks by adding QTEs and so forth.

SJRB

Gold Member
Yeah, that's how frustrating it is. The best places to make up ground seem to be in initial zigzag through the sidestreets (no hay/seems difficult to trigger a climb) and by running over the empty cart to the left of the second batch of guards (you skip the guards and run straight through whereas your opponent runs wide right). And if you fall behind just run the other way and restart; it's just not worth running 3-5 laps to make up 30m when you could restart and make up the ground instantly.

Just make sure to dpad set yourself to fist or it will all be for nothing.

I want to provide a little context by saying that while sprinting you can mash O / B to perform a tackle move if you're close enough, regardless of which weapon you have equipped.

Tackle is a move that was introduced in ACII, but people who haven't played previous games or have forgotten about it are pretty much screwed since this game doesn't explain it.

Eideka

Banned
The one where Connor has to assault a Templar base in Winter. It's linked in the OT: 'Frontier gameplay'

I'm not that far into the game, if you finished the game then you may be right. A bonus mission (DLC, limited edition bonus ?) perhaps...

However the Boston section is definitely in.

I want to provide a little context by saying that while sprinting you can mash O / B to perform a tackle move if you're close enough, regardless of which weapon you have equipped.

Tackle is a move that was introduced in ACII, but people who haven't played previous games or have forgotten about it are pretty much screwed since this game doesn't explain it.

I didn't figure out about tackling guards to get past them quickly until the 5th retry or so but I didn't have such luck tackling with weapons equipped as you say. The first time I got within range once he just backstabbed the guy...

Nori Chan

For those of you going for accolades in the multiplayer for that medal 100% thingy: *SomethingAwfulPoliceSiren.gif*YOU CAN USE WOLF-PACK TO GET ACCOLADES LIKE ANIMUS HACKER*SomethingAwfulPoliceSiren.gif*

Yes, you read that right. Anything not objective based (IE: "Capture the most points/defend the points against 2 enemies"/Domination "Capture the most flags/defend the most flags"/Artifact Assault) is able to be done in Wolfpack.

If you're going for Animus Hacker in public games, I suggest the non-silent one and pray your teammates are smart enough to let you kill 8 times in addition to kill anyone nearly going to stun you on Sequences above 8.

But if you have poison, and are playing a new round and have the poison loadout set-up, you can get 3/8 off the bat if your team isn't quick on the draw by poisoning one dude, unlock/lock on the next dude, kill him. Kill the other person. Poison should've kicked in and killed the other/giving you credit. 3/8. Then it's a matter of slowly getting the others.

In fact, if you and your team is good and preventing stuns you can also get the two killstreak with Animus hacks in a round easily. (Though the lower killstreak bonuses maybe easier for this one)

Now if Wolfpack was able to be played offline with an offline profile and had people to stun, it'd be a pretty good "offline" simulation of a real multiplayer match, kinda.

I never understood the animus hacker thing anyways.

Can't you play solo though? Or do you need a certain amount of people to play wolf pack?

FStop7

Banned
Every time the game starts to get better they throw an idiotic mission at you. Now it's Paul Revere's ride. This is so stupid. Stop making everything a gimmick.

WOW this games framerate runs like garbage and the pop in is horrendous on the 360.

This system is definitely showing its time for the next gen to start.

Paul Revere keeps telling me to get back on the horse even though I'm well, already on the horse right in front of him...

He also won't give me directions anymore. Wish I had kept up with how often I've had to restart missions because something got stuck. So sloppy.

wingz

Just finished all the Naval side missions. Easily the best part of the game, controlling the boat and going into battle. Even with the glitches that this game may have, nothing beats having an exhilarating unique experience in a game.

Risgroo

Finished this a few hours ago, damn fine game. Bugs and unclear main/optional objectives drags it down a bit though. Also, AWFUL chase in sequence 12!

Lima

The chase sequence in chapter 12 was AWESOME!

And not hard at all. Did it on my 3rd try with all bonus objectives too.

The one where you had to chase Hickey was way harder and straight up bullshit.

Can't see why people are having problems with this. Maybe I just don't suck at vidya games.

Kiraly

Can't see why people are having problems with this. Maybe I just don't suck at vidya games.

Because it is utter shit trying to chase him at 15fps, and the directions in the last part are so fucking unclear it is horrible.

Because you have to buy it in a store, not look for it. Once again an example of shitty in-game directions.

Thanks.

SJRB

Gold Member

Ylh20l.jpg

O you..

Noi

I was doing sequence 6, I think, last night where you have to
protect the chef while he's ranting after getting his stuff stolen.
I had to restart from checkpoint so many times because we'd both be walking down an empty street with no enemies, the guy was at full health... and I'd randomly fail the "50% health " objective.

This fucking game.

I've had an attacked convoy, the first one you send, for like a long time and I have no way to defend it or save it. I'm in sequence 9. I don't see any shield icon on the frontier map, anyone else have this problem?

If you guys have time watch the AC3 segment on invisible walls and that pretty much sums up my thoughts exactly on the game.
http://www.gametrailers.com/full-ep...-walls-episode-231-----the-games-have-arrived
Skip to the 48 minute mark.

To me all the stuff people are complaining about is so trivial. Sure there are a few minor glitches and every now and then you'll get caught up on something, but the game as a whole I feel is truly awesome. No other game immerses you into the world as well as this game does and the story truly does feel like an epic which last decades. It just boggles my mind how people get so worked up over the most insignificant aspects of a game and cant appreciate the journey but instead are getting worked up on not being able to craft something or get frustrated that they cant 100% sync a mission. I mean your missing the point entirely.

All this video does is once again underscore the difference between gamers whose primary focus is on gameplay elements and the technical aspects that go along with them and those who are in it for the "experience". I'm absorbed by the story, it's well told, the setting is unique amongst video games, and the breadth of things they allow you to do within that world is impressive. But what I'm vehemently NOT absorbed by is some of the mechanics and technical aspects of the game. The shitty framerates, all the classic AC control jankiness, the frustrating and inorganic mission designs, the boring combat, and so many other aspects of the gameplay itself.

All those things that were supposed to be so improved by AnvilNEXT and by the nature of iterative game development are still there in full force. The only thing I think was improved in any meaningful way was the freerunning. It's much smoother to run through crowds of people without having to worry about tackling or slowing down so you don't trip and fall, the speed of climbing, and the tree climbing all work fairly well. But it's all still weighed down by that occasional accidental jump off a cliff to your death (which in spite of the claims that the system doesn't allow it, it still happens) or the accidental repeated runs up a wall or getting latched to a dead end surface while climbing.

Lima

Because it is utter shit trying to chase him at 15fps, and the directions in the last part are so fucking unclear it is horrible.

Really? The directions are horrible? There is fire and you know fire is bad so you avoid it and only go where there is no fire. Jesus I can't believe what I'm reading in this thread.

wingz

I've had an attacked convoy, the first one you send, for like a long time and I have no way to defend it or save it. I'm in sequence 9. I don't see any shield icon on the frontier map, anyone else have this problem?

I have the exact same problem. I'm also thinking it's a bug. When I go to options and try to send another convoy or repair, I can't do anything. I also checked the frontier, there is no shield signs in the map.

I have the exact same problem. I'm thinking it's a bug. When I got to options send another convoy or repair, I can't do anything. I also checked the frontier, there is no shield signs in the map.
Maybe a patch will fix this. Sigh, stupid buggy game.

rvy

Banned
If you have a brain and two working eyes the path should be very clear.

Sure, but there's no reason not to add an option to have a visual aid for the correct path. The chase sequences in this game can be complete shit.

Kiraly

If you have a brain and two working eyes the path should be very clear.

You're pushed to stay as close to him as possible at all times, there is hardly any time to look around where to go and after the tenth time redoing the bullshit first part it is very frustrating.

But I see you had problems with sequence 8 whereas I can't even remember it because I probably completed it on the first or second try, anyone with a brain and two working eyes could have done that.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
I think I'm fucked. I have completed the game and apparently I can't get Northern New York liberated to recruit another person.

I need the farmer protection mission.

What the hell, Ubisoft, QA your games.

EDIT: Nevermind, finally found it!

Bucca

Fools are always so certain of themselves, but wiser men so full of doubts.
There are seriously way too many fucking guards in this game. This is fucking ludicrous. Give me a fucking break for once Ubi.

/end rant

Top Bottom