• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed Shadows map is the same size as Origins

Draugoth

Gold Member
2698EkxZkrnDj8H5VStkiV-970-80.jpg.webp

Don't expect Assassin's Creed Shadows to be as monstrously large as Valhalla, its art director suggests, because Ubisoft was able to focus on a specific slice of Japan in its next stealthy action RPG.

Speaking to Play in issue 45 of the magazine, art director Thierry Dansereau reveals that while Shadows features an explorable open world, its size will seemingly strike somewhere in the middle of the colossal Valhalla, which spanned locations in both Norway and England, and the more compact Baghdad adventure Mirage. "We're talking about Origins big," Dansereau says.

Source

rkofan87

Gold Member
i love origins once you got the dlc you could bump your level to 38 and still go back and do side stuff at that level in later games they got of this.

Sounds cool to me, i liked all of the "RPG" ACs maps, and Origins was quite big so there will probably still have a lot to explore.

Last edited:

EDMIX

Writes a lot, says very little
Good, Origins was great and better than what followed

Depends on who you ask. I personally love Origins, but I'm also loving Valhalla too as I'm playing it currently. I like the idea of having England, France and Scotland as areas as it really fit the theme.

So I'm fine with how they did Origins, I'm fine with how they did Valhalla.

Shadows from what i see is in good hands
this not to big not to small.
With those games, it was not really the size for me as much as the detail and how well crafted those worlds are, the attention to detail they put in them was surprising, like....really surprising cause the fucking shit people said about Origins and Odyssey etc, they made it sound like they were just ugly, cookie cutter worlds or some shit, I end up playing them like...WTF!!!? They modeled a whole ass city, NPCs shopping, doing random jobs, the detail of the architecture etc

I was genuinely blown away

Alexandria-Air-Far.jpg
vanya-panova-fishing-village-04.jpg

1-3.jpg

Look, people can say what they want about the IP, but for folks to try to act as if this is substandard or minimal or lessor, show me the fucking game doing MORE then this regarding such a setting and I can agree with that.

From what I see, their teams do an amazing job with those worlds to a degree very few have done consistently, outside of Sony and Rockstar

GymWolf

Gold Member
Good, valhalla was a pile of bloated shit and odissey was also too bloated, origins is the perfect size.

My biggest fear is the combat, valhalla was a regression from odissey that was already a regression from origins.

Depends on who you ask. I personally love Origins, but I'm also loving Valhalla too as I'm playing it currently. I like the idea of having England, France and Scotland as areas as it really fit the theme.

So I'm fine with how they did Origins, I'm fine with how they did Valhalla.

Shadows from what i see is in good hands

With those games, it was not really the size for me as much as the detail and how well crafted those worlds are, the attention to detail they put in them was surprising, like....really surprising cause the fucking shit people said about Origins and Odyssey etc, they made it sound like they were just ugly, cookie cutter worlds or some shit, I end up playing them like...WTF!!!? They modeled a whole ass city, NPCs shopping, doing random jobs, the detail of the architecture etc

I was genuinely blown away

Alexandria-Air-Far.jpg
vanya-panova-fishing-village-04.jpg

1-3.jpg

Look, people can say what they want about the IP, but for folks to try to act as if this is substandard or minimal or lessor, show me the fucking game doing MORE then this regarding such a setting and I can agree with that.

From what I see, their teams do an amazing job with those worlds to a degree very few have done consistently, outside of Sony and Rockstar
Agreed - a few years ago I stopped playing AC after Black Flags, but just on a whim I thought I'd give Origins a chance and I was so blown away, especially if you're a fan of ancient history like I am, the AC games can be immersive and beautiful. I went on to play Odyssey as well which I loved as well and has become an all time favourite of mine, regardless of what people say about AC games I really enjoy them.

I couldn't finish Mirage. Loved Origins, Odyssey and Valhalla though
I haven't gotten around to Valhalla even though I have a copy, would you recommend it?

GymWolf

Gold Member
Agreed - a few years ago I stopped playing AC after Black Flags, but just on a whim I thought I'd give Origins a chance and I was so blown away, especially if you're a fan of ancient history like I am, the AC games can be immersive and beautiful. I went on to play Odyssey as well which I loved as well and has become an all time favourite of mine, regardless of what people say about AC games I really enjoy them.

I haven't gotten around to Valhalla even though I have a copy, would you recommend it?
As much as getting chlamydia and kidney stones at the same time.

Andeck Vee

Neo Member
I enjoyed origins and Odyssey, Valhalla felt a bit too slow for me and too big. For Origins, Odyssey and Valhalla they released some superb discovery tours allowing you to walk around and learn some great history. Hope they bring that back for this one

Fuck sake, that's too much for a Ubisoft game. All they do is fill it with boring busy work. Odyssey was an OK game but I had to just get on with the story as the map was just too much.

nemiroff

Gold Member
If we can finish the story in reasonable time, the map can never be too big. I for one just stop playing when I no longer have fun. It's easy.

But with that said, I do empathize with people with OCD.

Kenpachii

Yea valhalla was to big, and odyssey could have gone with a bit smaller map. But u don't have to explore the entire thing to get to the end.

Still on the fence of buying shadows tho, liked odyssey/valhalla/origin, didn't like mirage so we will see.

GymWolf

Gold Member
Yea valhalla was to big, and odyssey could have gone with a bit smaller map. But u don't have to explore the entire thing to get to the end.

Still on the fence of buying shadows tho, liked odyssey/valhalla/origin, didn't like mirage so we will see.
Just do a month of ubisoft premium, it's enough to complete the game or get bored by it.

Larxia

Odyssey and Valhalla were way too bloated
I found Odyssey infinitely better than Origins.
The gameplay was a lot better, the combats were less repetitive thanks to all the abilities, and I hated how in Origins it felt like playing a mmo but alone.
Having to do all of these boring fetch quests for hours just to have enough level to do one story mission was horrible, and then after just one or two story missions, you have to go back to hours of boring side quests. It didn't strike me as bad in Odyssey, maybe because I found the gameplay and the side content more interesting too. Origins was just plain boring for me.

Last edited:

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
I enjoyed origins and Odyssey, Valhalla felt a bit too slow for me and too big. For Origins, Odyssey and Valhalla they released some superb discovery tours allowing you to walk around and learn some great history. Hope they bring that back for this one

Ubisoft should create a discovery tour in Assassin's Creed: Shadows where you can walk around the game world and learn which elements of the game are actually Chinese instead of Japanese, which game objects were stolen from creators, etc etc.

Kenpachii

Just do a month of ubisoft premium, it's enough to complete the game or get bored by it.

What's up with ubisoft pricing of there games, like how do they not wonder there games aren't selling for shit with this.

a7d8f004c436432d7e5160a62eace934.png

It's not just shadows, its the star wars game also same pricing. Honestly nothing but there subscription service makes sense to get.

SJRB

Gold Member
What's up with ubisoft pricing of there games, like how do they not wonder there games aren't selling for shit with this.

It's not just shadows, its the star wars game also same pricing. Honestly nothing but there subscription service makes sense to get.

Which is the point. Ubi stated a few months back that they want people in the subscription ecosystem instead of purchasing their games.

The best way to wreck Ubi is just to subscribe for a month, play until you’re bored and then cancel. Will set you back 17 bucks tops.

GymWolf

Gold Member

That's how i played all of their latest games (thank god, imagine spending even more money for fc6 or valhalla).

Before it was just 9,99 so it was even better.

King Dazzar

I loved Origins & Valhalla. Odyssey hasn't clicked for me as much - though I may try yet again. Mirage was OK and looked excellent, but for me was too restrictive. I loves me some archery.

King Dazzar

I enjoyed it overall. ManaByte ManaByte ain't wrong. It is bloated. But playing as a viking was pretty fun.
I loved that it tied into some of my countries history and I could visit locations I've been irl. And whilst the Egyptian setting of Origins was great. There's been improvements to how horses handle etc in Valhalla. Yep Valhalla is a favourite of mine. Even if it was too big for its own good.

Top Bottom