• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed Shadows map is the same size as Origins

DavidGzz

Gold Member
Depends on who you ask. I personally love Origins, but I'm also loving Valhalla too as I'm playing it currently. I like the idea of having England, France and Scotland as areas as it really fit the theme.

So I'm fine with how they did Origins, I'm fine with how they did Valhalla.

Shadows from what i see is in good hands

With those games, it was not really the size for me as much as the detail and how well crafted those worlds are, the attention to detail they put in them was surprising, like....really surprising cause the fucking shit people said about Origins and Odyssey etc, they made it sound like they were just ugly, cookie cutter worlds or some shit, I end up playing them like...WTF!!!? They modeled a whole ass city, NPCs shopping, doing random jobs, the detail of the architecture etc

I was genuinely blown away

Alexandria-Air-Far.jpg
vanya-panova-fishing-village-04.jpg

1-3.jpg

Look, people can say what they want about the IP, but for folks to try to act as if this is substandard or minimal or lessor, show me the fucking game doing MORE then this regarding such a setting and I can agree with that.

From what I see, their teams do an amazing job with those worlds to a degree very few have done consistently, outside of Sony and Rockstar

Large devs always get judged too harshly and unfairly IMO. If these games came from small devs these same people would be exclaiming at how great these games are. I like to judge games on if they are fun or not, not how good they should be because of the money thrown at them. I've been loving the AC games since they went with more action combat vs. what was used before. Shadows looks great.

Topher

Gold Member
I loved that it tied into some of my countries history and I could visit locations I've been irl. And whilst the Egyptian setting of Origins was great. There's been improvements to how horses handle etc in Valhalla. Yep Valhalla is a favourite of mine. Even if it was too big for its own good.

Yeah, but I'll also say that most of that "bloat" is optional. I like exploring these massive worlds Ubisoft creates myself. Not for everyone, but isn't supposed to be.

I loved Origins & Valhalla. Odyssey hasn't clicked for me as much - though I may try yet again. Mirage was OK and looked excellent, but for me was too restrictive. I loves me some archery.

Love the archery in AC.

Last edited:
Yea valhalla was to big, and odyssey could have gone with a bit smaller map. But u don't have to explore the entire thing to get to the end.

Still on the fence of buying shadows tho, liked odyssey/valhalla/origin, didn't like mirage so we will see.
It's not going to be anything like mirage, expect valhalla with some syndicate mechanics.

StereoVsn

Good, valhalla was a pile of bloated shit and odissey was also too bloated, origins is the perfect size.

My biggest fear is the combat, valhalla was a regression from odissey that was already a regression from origins.
Valhalla was also a regression in some of the RPG aspects I thought. To be fair, I got bored after about 10-15 hours and dropped it.

StereoVsn

Yeah, but I'll also say that most of that "bloat" is optional. I like exploring these massive worlds Ubisoft creates myself. Not for everyone, but isn't supposed to be.

Love the archery in AC.
Odyssey on PC was my favorite. On PC because I could cheat with XP and stupid Mercs so I didnt have to grind levels when I didn’t need to.

Edit: I loved the setting in Odyssey, it really sold Ancient Greece. I also liked combat, characters and overall approach to gameplay.

Yes, it was bloated, but I skipped the parts they were kind of boring.

Last edited:

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
How are people cheering this on? Origins map (while awesome), was fucking massive.

Valhalla just took it up to a laughable level.

I still platted both of em

Topher

Gold Member
Odyssey on PC was my favorite. On PC because I could cheat with XP and stupid Mercs so I didnt have to grind levels when I didn’t need to.

Edit: I loved the setting in Odyssey, it really sold Ancient Greece. I also liked combat, characters and overall approach to gameplay.

Yes, it was bloated, but I skipped the parts they were kind of boring.

I platinumed Origins, Odyssey and Valhalla......so yeah, I was neck deep in the bloat in all three. Combat is the key. That's just damn fun. Leveling up my guy/gal and taking on a whole garrison of enemies....all about that stuff.

Laptop1991

I really liked Origin's and it;s map, i had a lot of fun in the game and played for hours on end, but at this point i'm not sure the same size map makes Origin's and Shadows the same, i'll be interested to see what the game is like after it's out and i liked and played Origin's, Odyssey and Valhalla a lot.

Kacho

Gold Member
I just want the open world checklist stuff to be fun like in Origins and Odyssey. The endless environmental puzzles in Valhalla were exhausting.

Last edited:
Good. It's the perfect balance for me.

Origins > Odyssey > Syndicate > Valhalla, in that order.

Not getting at launch though, two months later, with the season pass included, in a steep discount.

bighugeguns

The power fantasy of being a marauding French creative rendition of George Floyd in feudal Japan certainly is unique, I'm not sure it's going to take off with the masses but here's to Ubisoft, I guess. This whole game is about as subtle as an atom bomb.

$10 says this game is the result of Ubisoft WFH policies. There's clearly very little communication internally in this project and nobody went "oh sht dude wtf are you doing" once.

Last edited:
Itemization and loot was super boring in valhalla, odissey did it the best.
loot was complete garbage in odyssey, it had more loot vomit than borderlands, it's like the team looked at Diablo and figured yeah that's totally what assassin's creed players want, tons of disposable trash loot dropped by every enemy so you can sit in your inventory dismantling it all; there's a reason they removed it because there were many complaints and it simply didn't fit AC, don't expect that to ever come back.

GymWolf

Gold Member
loot was complete garbage in odyssey, it had more loot vomit than borderlands, it's like the team looked at Diablo and figured yeah that's totally what assassin's creed players want, tons of disposable trash loot dropped by every enemy so you can sit in your inventory dismantling it all; there's a reason they removed it because there were many complaints and it simply didn't fit AC, don't expect that to ever come back.
Better than the absolute bore that was the loot (or lack of it really) in valhalla.

It's a ubisoft game, i'm never gonna expect well thought mechanics or game design in their games, it's a matter of choosing the lesser evil and i take diablo loot over barely any and boring loot.

The game are action rpgs now, you have to forget what ac was before, the simply doesn't fit has not been a thing for 3 games already, odissey didn't even had a proper assassin blade ffs :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

Last edited:
Better than the absolute bore that was the loot (or lack of it really) in valhalla.
Hard disagree, since AC was never about looting anyway, again it's not diablo. The fact that valhalla doesn't gate your progress behind good gear drops was an absolute win design wise; you can wear whatever you want, and everything you do find is unique and has unique effects, instead of all the copy-pasta nonsense in odyssey while you hope for some good rolls.
They even realised how bad it was by finally giving some guaranteed assassination gear during the valhalla crossover event, so you never need to equip anything else every again.
Good riddance.
team america vomit GIF

GymWolf

Gold Member
Hard disagree, since AC was never about looting anyway, again it's not diablo. The fact that valhalla doesn't gate your progress behind good gear drops was an absolute win design wise; you can wear whatever you want, and everything you do find is unique and has unique effects, instead of all the copy-pasta nonsense in odyssey while you hope for some good rolls.
They even realised how bad it was by finally giving some guaranteed assassination gear during the valhalla crossover event, so you never need to equip anything else every again.
Good riddance.
team america vomit GIF
New ac are action rpg so loot is gonna be a thing, the doesn't fit excuse has not been a thing for 3 games already and i repeat myself, i take random diablo loot over boring loot, so yeah agree to disagree.

And if we consider the fact that valhlla is by far the less praised out of the last 3 new main ac games, i have an hunch that not many people liked the loot system as much as you did, but i can't prove this of course, the game was such a shitshow that it's hard to pin point all the things that people didn't liked about it :lollipop_squinting:

Odissey was far from perfect, but ubisoft game, lesser evil, i just said my piece already.

New ac are action rpg so loot is gonna be a thing, the doesn't fit excuse has not been a thing for 3 games already and i repeat myself, i take random diablo loot over boring loot, so yeah agree to disagree.
It's not 3 games, there's not anything I despise from the older games, but revisiting origins made me hate it's egregious level gating, and odyssey's gear system is complete trash; valhalla corrected these errors as it got rid of both these things and therefore allows itself to be played more like the pre-origins games where you can play 99% of in stealth and ignore nearly all of the "rpg" mechanics.
People talked about mirage being a more "classic" experience, but it was valhalla that made all the major steps towards that first and makes it fundamentally play quite a bit different than the previous two, revisiting odyssey during the crossover event made that abundantly clear and I almost wish I never went back to preserve my rose tinted glasses memory of odyssey.

They made two huge missteps gameplay wise and corrected them with the third game, that nonsense is not coming back for shadows.

GymWolf

Gold Member
It's not 3 games, there's not anything I despise from the older games, but revisiting origins made me hate it's egregious level gating, and odyssey's gear system is complete trash; valhalla corrected these errors as it got rid of both these things and therefore allows itself to be played more like the pre-origins games where you can play 99% of in stealth and ignore nearly all of the "rpg" mechanics.
People talked about mirage being a more "classic" experience, but it was valhalla that made all the major steps towards that first and makes it fundamentally play quite a bit different than the previous two, revisiting odyssey during the crossover event made that abundantly clear and I almost wish I never went back to preserve my rose tinted glasses memory of odyssey.

They made two huge missteps gameplay wise and corrected them with the third game, that nonsense is not coming back for shadows.
Well if they don't return to diablo loot, i hope they find a way to make the loot less boring, i also prefer less loot but more intriguing, and that was not the case with valhalla, like at all.

Valhalla didn't corrected any error, it just swap an error for another.

And let me tell you how much faith i have in ubisoft when it comes to them knowing what the fuck they are doing when they tried to return to an assassination style in the most action packed ac ever where frontal assault with fucking vikings was the core of the experience and then made a focused stealth game in outlwas where you can't even hide bodies and ko animations are totally random so you can't tell how much time you are gonna waste locked into an animation and has generally worse stealth than 15 years old games, you give ubi way more credit than me my dude because to me it feel like they make games like vice chose arguments for articles, the ol good purple penis method.

Last edited:

Arachnid

Good riddance.
team america vomit GIF
I'm with you. Valhalla had its issues but the loot system wasn't one of them. That was a thousand times better than Odyssey's system. So damn annoying constantly switching to new loot, and then having to transmog every single new piece to my favorite look. Legit stupid. Keep that diablo trash out of AC

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
I platinumed Origins, Odyssey and Valhalla......so yeah, I was neck deep in the bloat in all three. Combat is the key. That's just damn fun. Leveling up my guy/gal and taking on a whole garrison of enemies....all about that stuff.

Hunting down the cult members was my favorite part about Odyssey

Smoke bombs were so fucking OP

Isa

Never seen the channel before but thought it was funny.

Looking forward to people sharing funny bugs lol.

In regards to map size, I loved Origins but it was too big for its own good. Beautiful areas with a few regions with nothing in them, felt like it was rushed or something. Same with the story.

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
No intention to buy this full price/period, but I will testify that Origins had the perfect ratio of world - stuff to do - expanses. There were specific regions with geographically sensible "biomes," Had a couple cities that were complex enough to warrant old school AC vibes. There were enough checklisty things to make it feel like you were achieving something while you did random exploration, but there were also those regions that perfectly evoke the "this is wilderness, there is nothing here, why are you fucking off here?" vibes of empty open world syndrome.

The key is having the ratio right, and keeping each element in its own fuck off corner. You like pressing forward with no indicator you're even moving for how plain your surroundings are? Then go to the white sands! Don't like it? Well, ALL OF IT is fucked off in the corner, so AVOID THAT SHIT.

That's clever open world design. IRL if there were some legendary gear out in the dead sea, well wouldn't you know, I fucking *wouldn't* be the guy.

Kacho

Gold Member
Never seen the channel before but thought it was funny.

Looking forward to people sharing funny bugs lol.

In regards to map size, I loved Origins but it was too big for its own good. Beautiful areas with a few regions with nothing in them, felt like it was rushed or something. Same with the story.

Omg I’m starting to feel bad for the game. Everyone is ripping it apart lol

Please be good.

Reactions: Isa

EDMIX

Writes a lot, says very little
It was Valhalla DLC repurposed as a standalone title.

Not really.

It started as that, as in for the first 2 weeks of them writing it out, thats what it was suppose to be, then they decided to make a whole new game instead.

Keep in mind, this would be like saying ACIV was repurposed DLC of AC3 lol (fun fact, ACIV when it was first being designed, was being made to be AC3 DLC)

or DMC was originally going to be a Resident Evil game.

To repurpose something is to reuse something existing for something else, the issue here is those things never existed, as in that change was done before they ever actually got developed.

So no, Mirage was never Valhalla DLC, what you see as Mirage today, as in the final game that you got, that was designed to be that, that was never Valhalla DLC and a name changed to Mirage or something odd like that. I believe one of the directors clarifies that was actually never made, as in it was just that on paper before they decided to make Mirage a complete different thing.

Even AC 1 funny enough was suppose to be a Prince Of Persia game lol

Aesius Aesius This was done because the story was about Basim's character from Valhalla. Keep in mind, a rumor already exist about them remaking AC1, so this is likely not what they'd do with it if they already have the remake being made, as in this was not an either or, they already probably have it being made currently

As in..both

Last edited:

Kacho

Gold Member
Not really.

It started as that, as in for the first 2 weeks of them writing it out, thats what it was suppose to be, then they decided to make a whole new game instead.

Keep in mind, this would be like saying ACIV was repurposed DLC of AC3 lol (fun fact, ACIV when it was first being designed, was being made to be AC3 DLC)

or DMC was originally going to be a Resident Evil game.

To repurpose something is to reuse something existing for something else, the issue here is those things never existed, as in that change was done before they ever actually got developed.

So no, Mirage was never Valhalla DLC, what you see as Mirage today, as in the final game that you got, that was designed to be that, that was never Valhalla DLC and a name changed to Mirage or something odd like that. I believe one of the directors clarifies that was actually never made, as in it was just that on paper before they decided to make Mirage a complete different thing.

Even AC 1 funny enough was suppose to be a Prince Of Persia game lol

Aesius Aesius Aesius Aesius This was done because the story was about Basim's character from Valhalla. Keep in mind, a rumor already exist about them remaking AC1, so this is likely not what they'd do with it if they already have the remake being made, as in this was not an either or, they already probably have it being made currently

As in..both
Working Kermit The Frog GIF

EDMIX

Working Kermit The Frog GIF

https://news.ubisoft.com/en-gb/arti...ssins-creed-mirage-grew-from-dlc-to-full-game

" It was a very early idea, and it was really just one slide in a PowerPoint presentation. "

Ironically, the link you provided is the correction that talks about what it was during that design phase.

So, never repurposed, it never existed as anything other then a powerpoint slide, all of Mirage is what it was made to be.

Last edited:

Kacho

Gold Member
https://news.ubisoft.com/en-gb/arti...ssins-creed-mirage-grew-from-dlc-to-full-game

" It was a very early idea, and it was really just one slide in a PowerPoint presentation. "

Ironically, the link you provided is the correction that talks about what it was during that design phase.

So, never repurposed, it never existed as anything other then a powerpoint slide, all of Mirage is what it was made to be.
Oh, it was the word repurposed you were hung up on? Well ok then. Glad we cleared that up.

EDMIX

Oh, it was the word repurposed you were hung up on? Well ok then. Glad we cleared that up.
lol well yes, the thing you are referring to was never made, never existed, thus could never be "repurposed" to be Mirage.

It was 1 powerpoint slide, it wasn't a game that was then made to be Mirage or something.

I believe Ubisoft actually cleared that up as many thought that at first.

EDMIX

So instead of looking at all the AC games and seeing they have unique maps because they represent historical places, you're willing to bet the opposite because of a spin-off game in a completely different franchise?
What Are You Doing Reaction GIF

Whats funny, I bet he looked all over the place trying to find 1 fucking AC game that did this lol

ClosBSAS

So instead of looking at all the AC games and seeing they have unique maps because they represent historical places, you're willing to bet the opposite because of a spin-off game in a completely different franchise?
What Are You Doing Reaction GIF
Its Ubisoft. So yes. This game will ve trash just like outlaws

GymWolf

Gold Member
I think people are underestimating origins map, it wasn't as big as oddisey or valhalla but it was still gigantic and bigger than most open world maps, so don't worry about a "small map".

Last edited:

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
I fired up Odyssey for the first time in over 2 years last night and I had no idea it got a 60fps patch for the 5.

Game is gorgeous and the 60fps is icing on the cake. Forgot so much about it. Wound up doing all the ?'s on that starting island before even going to the first main mission :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Fuckin Ubi games and their bloaty tractor beams sucking me in.

Top Bottom