• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed Unity |OT| Liberté, égalité, parité

ZServ

Seriously guys....is the game really bad??? I'm supposed to go pick a copy up at Gamestop today, but these impressions....yeeeesh!

As a long time fan, I wouldn't say it's bad. The game has technical issues that are always smacking you in the face, however. It's a massive shame, because I honestly wanted to love it as much as I did Brotherhood, and at points I do, but turning a corner to awful framerates and randomly appearing people is getting old very quickly.

SJRB

Gold Member
I still don't know how to actually turn the game off and go back to the PS4 dashboard. There is no option in the game itself.

No game on the PS4 has a "return to dashboard" option, you just quit like any other game: keep the PS button on the controller pressed and close application.

ICPEE

you guys think the 20 fps is bad ? 10-15 fps maybe...not kidding

aBywtS7.jpg

dem npc's tho
Very impressive but not at the cost of performance. Ubisoft and their fucked up priorities

MayMay

Banned
Hmm.. seems like there's a bug with a quest. At least on the PC Version. It's one of the Cafe Missions, specifically the one
where you have to go talk to a contact, and when you arrive you see him injured
. Whenever I go to him, and approach him - the game crashes :/

Seriously guys....is the game really bad??? I'm supposed to go pick a copy up at Gamestop today, but these impressions....yeeeesh!
It is honestly more of the same AC gameplay, which is a bit disappointing after Black Flag mixed it up. I think people are more mad at Ubisoft's tactics than the actual game itself.

As a long time fan, I wouldn't say it's bad. The game has technical issues that are always smacking you in the face, however. It's a massive shame, because I honestly wanted to love it as much as I did Brotherhood, and at points I do, but turning a corner to awful framerates and randomly appearing people is getting old very quickly.

So besides the obvious technical issues, is it a good play?

It is honestly more of the same AC gameplay, which is a bit disappointing after Black Flag mixed it up. I think people are more mad at Ubisoft's tactics than the actual game itself.

I guess that sums it up. They didn't stray from the beaten path... ehh

Decided not to pick this up after all. I'm can wait for a frame rate fix or a decent sale. It's a shame because this looks like a fun game, I just can't overlook the mess it is right now.

I'm having such an amazing time with this game.

ProTip: go into the options menu and turn off all hud elements except mission updates.

If you have a GtX 780 and can stomach 720p. I've played it at that resolution at 60fps for pretty much the entire game. I can't wait to play the coop. Does anyone know when Ubisoft expects Uplay to start working so I can coop on PC?

deeptech

you guys think the 20 fps is bad ? 10-15 fps maybe...not kidding

aBywtS7.jpg

dem npc's tho

Very impressive but not at the cost of performance. Ubisoft and their fucked up priorities

They just didn't want to stop at nothing in order to bring this spectacular , never even seen before , 10k NPCs uber cinematic experience. Like , who cares about the game? Load dem NPCs up while fps tanks into single digits , it's all for the better movie-like feel

SJRB

Gold Member
So besides the obvious technical issues, is it a good play?

Unity is a return to form, sheds off all the exessive luggage the series took on over the years. Brotherhood management, tower defense, fleet management, almost all meta-stuff is gone except for the basic Café Théâtre upgrades. Which are a lot more interesting because there are side missions involved.
No more insane eavesdrop missions and other trite. Just large urban exploration and assassinations. The city is HUGE with loads of verticality, making traversing the rooftops more challenging and interesting than ever. Sure there are the much-discussed technical flaws, but let's not for a moment pretend the others didn't have the exact same shit performance. So if you've played a lof of the previous games, you're probably kind of "used to" the framerates, NPC hickups and stuff like that. [This isn't excusing the performance whatsoever, I'm just saying that if you were able to look past that in previous games, you will in this one too]

I don't see how anyone who enjoyed the first few AC's won't enjoy this one. It's an Assassin's Creed game again, finally. If you're looking for naval combat there's always Rogue.

You need to hold R3 a bit.

Almost glanced over this. Thanks a million for the tip!

After AC3, this isn't that glitchy for me lol. That shit was the worst on 360.

Feelin kinda strange about this tho.. I'm actually enjoying it more than Black Flag so far (like 3-4 hrs in). AC4 is the only one I haven't finished; it just got boring for me. Maybe I like Unity better cuz I only paid $30 for it.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Made a video with some of the glitches I've been encountering. The one where I jump off the Notre Dame is so typically AC. :lol

This is my favorite, though.

vTocXXR.gif
lol

Awesome...think I prefer more NPCs over framerate.

10-15fps[/B] is fine for me if you aer just watching like here and don't need to do something complicated that requires instant response.

Its not a cutscene though. You are playing the game.

After AC3, this isn't that glitchy for me lol. That shit was the worst on 360.

Feelin kinda strange about this tho.. I'm actually enjoying it more than Black Flag so far (like 3-4 hrs in). AC4 is the only one I haven't finished; it just got boring for me. Maybe I like Unity better cuz I only paid $30 for it.

I agree on pretty much all points.

sasliquid

So is the general consensus good if they somehow patch it to mostly good state. I really want another 2/brotherhood stype game but with so many good games I'll wait to see if they fix it.

iNvid02

Made a video with some of the glitches I've been encountering. The one where I jump off the Notre Dame is so typically AC. :lol

This is my favorite, though.

vTocXXR.gif

fucking hell lol

it seems whenever they try anything remotely ambitious they straight up fail at executing it cleanly, these technical problems remind me of AC3's launch.

Do you think recreating Paris 1:1 was a bad idea for performance? Watching some of the vids the streets look very wide and the scale is nice but the extra load on rendering all that seems to really hurt performance.

No game on the PS4 has a "return to dashboard" option, you just quit like any other game: keep the PS button on the controller pressed and close application.

That's how I've been doing that. Sorry. I wasn't clear. I don't know how to go back to the title screen for the game. Is there even a title screen?

quetz67

Banned
So if I am just watching something and I dont have to do something complicated, would 1 fps be enough too?

I have played games at less than 1fps. I don't care that much about framerate, can't see a difference between 30 and 60 and 15 does not bother me at all, it still looks like movement, not like a slideshow.

Unity is a return to form, sheds off all the exessive luggage the series took on over the years. Brotherhood management, tower defense, fleet management, almost all meta-stuff is gone except for the basic Café Théâtre upgrades. Which are a lot more interesting because there are side missions involved.
No more insane eavesdrop missions and other trite. Just large urban exploration and assassinations. The city is HUGE with loads of verticality, making traversing the rooftops more challenging and interesting than ever. Sure there are the much-discussed technical flaws, but let's not for a moment pretend the others didn't have the exact same shit performance. So if you've played a lof of the previous games, you're probably kind of "used to" the framerates, NPC hickups and stuff like that. [This isn't excusing the performance whatsoever, I'm just saying that if you were able to look past that in previous games, you will in this one too]

I don't see how anyone who enjoyed the first few AC's won't enjoy this one. It's an Assassin's Creed game again, finally. If you're looking for naval combat there's always Rogue.

This is what I was looking for. Thanks for the input. I will pick it up and hopefully beat it before GTA V comes out! :)

Thanks, again.

That kinda eases the fact I'm still feeling an urge to play it. I think the big issue I'm having is knowing that I kinda want to play it, but that I'm going to hate the performance issues and bugs, plus support this sort of stuff in the industry. This is genuinely the first time supporting a companies actions has become a factor in buying a game in a franchise I enjoy. Makes for an odd predicament.

No way to quit out of the game is really odd though, another thing that reeks of rushed development.

If someone opted out of buying the game as an opportunity to tell Ubisoft..."No. This is not acceptable."

I would understand entirely.

This game pales in comparison to Black Flag.

quetz67

Banned
Its not a cutscene though. You are playing the game.

I understand that. Do I have to turn 180° in a millisecond there? Do I have to perform any maneuvers there that need my best(about 250ms) reaction time there? If not it is still playable for me. Most people think the same (not on GAF of course) - so should they rather develop for millions who prefer graphics over framerate or for the few 1000 here? No need to reply!

Everyone knows that we play a templar in the first Helix sequence aka The Tragedy of Jaques De Molay in the beginning of the game (no spoiler).

But, has anyone any footage of the other sequences:

Triumph of the borgias
The Lone Eagle
Murder in the levant
the emperor's shadow
Fear and loathing in florence
Washington and the wall
The liberation of the lady
Devils of the caribbean
The bladed cross
jazz age junkies
hell in hibernia

Where we play the old assassins and some new ones please?
I could find any on the internet.

Technical issues aside, I've been really enjoying it. I've yet to encounter any of those crazy glitches though! I've played all of the AC games so maybe my bar has been set pretty low...

I'm actually pretty bummed with the game itself. It's the whole one step forward two steps back scenario.

New engine, great! Runs like crap though. Scale is incredible i'll admit.

Bigger Crowds......this was not necessary. I guess Ubi wanted to put something on the box or go from some sort of Guinness world record instead of actually having the game run smoothly.

New stealth/couch mode, FINALLY! But now you can't pick up and move bodies. Removed whistling too. Use cherry bombs now but they don't get enemies to move half the time. (Alex Amanico seriously has a hard on for bombs lol.) New cover system too but holy crap is it clunky. Still astonished they didn't bring over the same system from splinter cell or watchdogs.

New combat, Good. Killstreaks while looking sweet made the game way too easy. But now no weapon switching on the fly?(fight with fists or hidden blade or disarm and fight with enemies weapons)<-- Nope.

Back to assassinations in ASSASSIN'S Creed. This is the biggest improvement in my opinion, though they could of went a little deeper into player choice and expression. For example like Hitman or Dishonored.

Can all the people with Wal-Marts within 20 miles of them explain why they pre-order games?

I am just so confused by gamers current obsession with pre-orders. This is why I didn't pre-order Unity, and many other games. These issues with Unity's launch just cements my non-pre-order commitment.

Son, let me preach to you about Best Buy GCU. First, it discounts every game 20% so AC5 is $48 there. Second, a ton of new games get a $10 preorder bonus when you preorder the game. So I paid effectively $38+tax for my copy of AC5. Plus I get 2x bonus points on purchases so I will be getting close to 100 points which is worth around $3 extra.

Best Buy is currently offering $40 trade in value for AC5, and GCU members get a 10% bonus so I will be getting back $44 for a game I paid $38 for. I also get points for trade in, giving me another $3 or so in points.

So yeah, thats why I preorder. GCU normally costs $99 but last week you could get 2 years of it for $7. Too late now though.

I preorder pretty much every new PS4/xbox one game but I have one simple rule: always trade it in the first 2 weeks, whether I play or finish or not. AC5 is going in this saturday, I'm going to play as much as I can until then and rebuy it next year when its GOTY with all DLCs and actually fixed.

Ricker

No...I like it a lot...yes there's a lot of glitches and all but considering the scope of this game,it's not the end of all end...I am playing on the PS4 and even the framerate is fine for me...so far anyway,just been in one area with a lot of people,and when I say lots of people,it's no joke,it's phenomenal.

I been exploring,synching all the eagle point of views,opening up chests and stuff on the way,doing side missions...if you still like this kind of stuff from previous AC games,its all there and more...the free companion App is awesome also...

The cut scenes with Elise are awesome...

Raven77

Son, let me preach to you about Best Buy GCU. First, it discounts every game 20% so AC5 is $48 there. Second, a ton of new games get a $10 preorder bonus when you preorder the game. So I paid effectively $38+tax for my copy of AC5. Plus I get 2x bonus points on purchases so I will be getting close to 100 points which is worth around $3 extra.

Best Buy is currently offering $40 trade in value for AC5, and GCU members get a 10% bonus so I will be getting back $44 for a game I paid $38 for. I also get points for trade in, giving me another $3 or so in points.

So yeah, thats why I preorder. GCU normally costs $99 but last week you could get 2 years of it for $7. Too late now though.

I preorder pretty much every new PS4/xbox one game but I have one simple rule: always trade it in the first 2 weeks, whether I play or finish or not. AC5 is going in this saturday, I'm going to play as much as I can until then and rebuy it next year when its GOTY with all DLCs and actually fixed.

Yep that is the one exception! I actually just signed up for it so I guess i'll be forced to pre-order when I can save money by doing it. Gotta save that cash where you can.

So I'm assuming Ubisoft has been silent about any sort of patch to help with the framerate on console?

If the patch had been ready day one, it would have been out day one. So safe to say they won't be able to patch it that soon. But they may consider it a good investment in terms of PR and research for future releases.

sobaka770

Banned

Thank you, someone who agrees. I like Black Flag and AC3 to some extent and even Revelations, but this game is what AC2 was - perfect balance between too much random stuff and assassin gameplay.

The naval combat is not what AC is about, the hunting and tree-hopping in large but non-vertical environments is not what AC excels at. Just like companies have their know-how, AC series has staples which have been abandoned and this game returns to form.

And as with any AC game it'll take a month to sort the most egregious bugs out, but people have short memories: every AC game had that, especially on the new engine (AC3 ouch...). As usual, next year we'll get a new installment and this engine will sing.

Hasney

I wouldn't pick it up in its current state. Fortunately, Ubi games to crash in price quite early, so if they can fix up the bugs and you can deal with the horrible framerate, it would be best to jump in after a price-drop.

Excellent! I watched some videos, the frame rate didn't look too bothersome to me... Mostly.

If you want a pretty city, it has that.

If you want a good game, stay the fuck away. This is worse than AC3. Sure, it sheds all the extra crap, but the base game underneath is so inherently flawed control-wise that it's not worth it. There's been multiple times where I just yell at Arno because he's doing the exact opposite of stuff I want him to do.

I seriously hope that Ubisoft will fix most, if not all the technical issues because based from my experience so far, I actually kinda like this game. This game is gorgeous for sure, no doubt about that. The amount of detail is just staggering, and Arno reminds me of Ezio, which I like.

Hasney

I'm honestly hoping that not only they fix the bugs, but at least get that framerate to a locked 30. Even if they scale back on NPCs, it really has to be done.

gooface

Banned
I stole an apple and fell into a white abyss until my character desynced... 10/10...

on a serious note this game has some interesting glitches like the one I just shared, I also notice NPCs are sometimes jumping over each other in large crowds, I think I will give this game a patch or two before I get back into it.

That and the cut scenes have terrible frames (I think caused by the hair) on my overclocked GTX 780 (down to the teens at times)

Frame rate is pretty shit on PS4. I can live with 30 but it dips well below that constantly, it's a shame because the game is gorgeous and I've been enjoying it so far.

Hasney

I wish NPCS didn't respawn. Like you could get a better framerate if you cause a genocide on your first day even if it does keep deserving you for killing innocents.

Top Bottom