• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed Unity |OT| Liberté, égalité, parité

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
rQJfqiA.jpg

n379B6B.jpg

ZYREy9S.jpg

ltBpLZP.jpg

MrDeeds

Neo Member
Got the Xbox One bunduru last weekend (was able to trade in my PS4 at GameStop under a promotion for $325-which is insane). I'm pretty entertained by the game this far, slightly more so than Black Flag and definitely more than III. The story moves along at a good clip. I've noticed some dips in framerate and pop in (mainly during cutscenes, which is weird), but not as prevalent as I expected after reading some of the threads yesterday. Somehow combat seems more satisfying in this game, even though mechanically it hasn't changed.

Arno is essentially a French Ezio. Motivations and attitude are the same as in AC II.

I do love that the modern day stuff
is essentially gone. But there are enough ties to the Precursor story arc from AC4 to keep me interested

Kezen

Banned
I've seen the game running on PS4, IQ is really, really bad. IMO it's much more worrying that the dismal framerate.
Little AF, blurry AA and 900p.

Catdaddy

I'm on PS4 and I had that happen to me last night, just before bed. I was chasing down some thief when I dropped in to no-man's land. I eventually desychronized and popped back into the world of the living.

Also, is anyone having trouble logging on to the companion app? I haven't been able to use it at all.

Happened to me as well, went through a building and dropped into the abyss, after a bit desynced.

No problems with the companion app on my Nexus tablet or my Galaxy phone.

quetz67

Banned
you guys think the 20 fps is bad ? 10-15 fps maybe...not kidding

aBywtS7.jpg

dem npc's tho

Awesome...think I prefer more NPCs over framerate.

10-15fps is fine for me if you aer just watching like here and don't need to do something complicated that requires instant response.

Sn4ke_911

10-15fps is fine for me
if you aer just watching like here and don't need to do something complicated that requires instant response.

The fuck am I reading?

SJRB

Gold Member

10-15fps is fine for me if you aer just watching like here and don't need to do something complicated that requires instant response.

You mean, like playing the actual game?

The immense crowds are overwhelming and awe-inspiring at first sight, until you realise it cripples performance.Novelty wears of kind of quick when the game suddenly starts running at sub-20fps.

Whilst the original Mass Effect on the 360 was probably my favourite game of last generation, that also had a frame rate that ran like dogshit... So there is that.

However this is a game that had 1000s of devs working on it, and I've been playing a lot of games with super stable 30fps, and 60fps ninty and ps4 games so I can see this game giving me headaches when I play it tonight. Really hope they sort it out in a patch, it sounds like a great game apart from the technical aspect. :(

murgo

Co-op is nice. The dude I was playing with suddenly disappeared but I could still see his symbol running around. The game told me to kill 3 templars, but they were nowhere to be seen. Eventually I couldn't even move either Arno or the camera. After the other dude left the game I was able to move again and see the enemies. A new guy joined my game and then it simply crashed back to the XMB.

What the fucking FUCK Ubi? Did you test this buggy piece of shit before launch? I guess not..

Speaking for myself on PC, it's not framerate that's the problem. That amount of NPC's sure looks impressive in a screenshot, but in motion, with a good portion of them warping in and out, swapping textures, etc., it looks decidedly ugly.

HT UK

Cancelled my pre-order for this yesterday. I'm glad the UK release was late, allowing me to read reviews/impressions first.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Man, the attention to detail on the Notre Dame is absolutely insane. Visual masterpiece.

By the way, I thought there was a "quickhide HUD" option? I pressed R3 but all it does is the traditional repositioning of the camera behind the player.

You need to hold R3 a bit.

Co-op is nice. The dude I was playing with suddenly disappeared but I could still see his symbol running around. The game told me to kill 3 templars, but they were nowhere to be seen. Eventually I couldn't even move either Arno or the camera. After the other dude left the game I was able to move again and see the enemies. A new guy joined my game and then it simply crashed back to the XMB.

What the fucking FUCK Ubi? Did you test this buggy piece of shit before launch? I guess not..

I was watching a stream yesterday of someone doing co-op and he jumped in a haystack and wouldn't let him get back out LOL. literally whatever he tried he could not get back out of the haystack. Had to quit and rejoin.

ryseing

My copy arrived a couple days early and I'm not around to play it! :(

Sounds brilliantly what I want from AC. Just stuff to wile away the hours.

You'll love Unity then. So much content. You'll be doing one thing and then get distracted by four others.

Agree with the sentiment that a great game is buried underneath the technical garbage.

Sn4ke_911

Y5hb.png

monome

people playing the game might help me :

I will wait for an eventual performance "patch" but so far no review has made a good job at telling me if the game can be played like a story driven open-world game with strong parkour and sweet assassinations.

I found both AC3&4 embarassingly bad at delivering a straight forward experience.

Since some reviews are pointing at better parkour and some cool "end-of-sequence" assassinations, it harkens me back to AC1&2 wich is all I'm asking for.

I don't give a fuck about microtransactions. I might even bite. yeah I'm bad, but I have neither the time nor the patience for Dragon Age 50hrs + campaign. So getting that sweet Sword of Eden from the start, a nice outfit and go unto my oh-so-cliché revenge path and not giving a fuck about buying villas/restoring shops and other non-story driven missions is a plus.

Can someone who liked only but AC1&2 give me his opinion?

KorrZ

You mean, like playing the actual game?

The immense crowds are overwhelming and awe-inspiring at first sight, until you realise it cripples performance.Novelty wears of kind of quick when the game suddenly starts running at sub-20fps.

It's tough for me because while the performance isn't the greatest - those huge crowds and busy bustling streets of Paris add so much to the atmosphere and immersion, I can totally see why they were reluctant to cut down the scale.

The only time the game has become unplayable is when climbing and staring directly at the big stainglass window, it became slideshow mode. Other than that it's totally playable though.

valkyre

So if I am just watching something and I dont have to do something complicated, would 1 fps be enough too?

I kind of agree. 10 - 15fps has that 'Shakespeare in the park' feel. It may not be the most technically sound performance, and sure mishaps can and often do happen, but you appreciate it more than the sterile cinematic feel of movies due to the sheer spectacle of a park play.

Edit:

And Sn4ke, stop posting nightmare fuel. Shit looks like Friday Night at Freddy's dlc.

So are you enjoying the game? Is the frame rate really that bad? I am still undecided whether to pick up my copy or not.

In places...it is bad. Not particularly a deal breaker for me as it has happened infrequently in my experience.

At times the animations are excellent and the game looks and moves incredibly.

At times the animations are several steps back from what you come to expect from the AC franchise and the game looks...off. Almost as though everything was plastic.

I have come to expect a good deal of excellent "fit and finish" in a Ubisoft AC game. This game does not have that.

I am still enjoying it. I think Arno might be the best protagonist to date in any AC game. I really like the customization aspect of it. All told...I don't have any buyer's remorse but it is not as strong a game as Assassin's Creed - I'm a Fuckin' Pirate! (I can't recall the name of the previous AC game.)

With the AC Unity App. I am told to continue training but I need an assassin to do it. But I don't have any assassins and cannot figure out where to go in the app to get assassins. Please help?

Have Ubi grown a pierre and said anything about the state of this mess so far? I really wanted this damn game to be good and it still has two days until launch over here so I'm very barely hopeful. Are there any patches coming or is this the sad state they're leaving it in?

Have Ubi grown a pierre and said anything about the state of this mess so far? I really wanted this damn game to be good and it still has two days until launch over here so I'm very barely hopeful. Are there any patches coming or is this the sad state they're leaving it in?

It is highly doubtful they are going to be able to address the issues they are currently having in two days.

It is highly doubtful they are going to be able to address the issues they are currently having in two days.

Yeah that's kinda what I figured but wished it wasn't the case. The patch list for 1.01 looked like it was made up of stuff that should have been fixed months ago rather than a day after review copies were arriving. Seems like a silly thing to be pissed about, but this was like the last game I was particularly interested in and looking forward to this year so my rage at Ubi is real strong right now.

SJRB

Gold Member
How do you unlock Arno's tailored cloak/jacket chestpiece? It says I need Arno's memory "Prophecy", is that a main mission?

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
One great addition is the "free run down" button combo. It was always a total PITA to get off roofs, and even worse running along a street and grabbing every single piece of climb markup.

Now you can hold the trigger and the circle button when running down a street and he won't attach to anything at all.

Yeah that's kinda what I figured but wished it wasn't the case. The patch list for 1.01 looked like it was made up of stuff that should have been fixed months ago rather than a day after review copies were arriving. Seems like a silly thing to be pissed about, but this was like the last game I was particularly interested in and looking forward to this year so my rage at Ubi is real strong right now.

It's not a terrible game. Disappointing? Yes. Terrible? No.

The development around this title must have been a complete shit-show however.

I still don't know how to actually turn the game off and go back to the PS4 dashboard. There is no option in the game itself.

One great addition is the "free run down" button combo. It was always a total PITA to get off roofs, and even worse running along a street and grabbing every single piece of climb markup.

Now you can hold the trigger and the circle button when running down a street and he won't attach to anything at all.

Yep. This was an excellent add.

tanooki27

I kind of agree. 10 - 15fps has that 'Shakespeare in the park' feel. It may not be the most technically sound performance, and sure mishaps can and often do happen, but you appreciate it more than the sterile cinematic feel of movies due to the sheer spectacle of a park play.

lol

Altairre

I just watched the GB quicklook and it seems they reduced the kill animations drastically. Just doing the same thing over and over again.

Raven77

Can all the people with Wal-Marts within 20 miles of them explain why they pre-order games?

Every time a game comes out that I want, I go to Wal-Mart at 10 till midnight, walk to the electronics section, grab the game (it almost ALWAYS comes with lots of "pre-order" bonuses), pay for it and walk out.

I have never EVER missed a significant pre-order bonus by not pre-ordering that I actually cared about.

New games do not sell out en-mass. Meaning, you can pretty much always find a copy somewhere nearby. I have never in the past 15 years went to buy a NEW game and not been able to find it. Sure maybe you have to go to one other store sometimes but it isn't often and you can always locate a copy relatively quickly. And I live outside a major metropolitan area.

I am just so confused by gamers current obsession with pre-orders. This is why I didn't pre-order Unity, and many other games. These issues with Unity's launch just cements my non-pre-order commitment.

It's not a terrible game. Disappointing? Yes. Terrible? No.

The development around this title must have been a complete shit-show however.

I still don't know how to actually turn the game off and go back to the PS4 dashboard.

That kinda eases the fact I'm still feeling an urge to play it. I think the big issue I'm having is knowing that I kinda want to play it, but that I'm going to hate the performance issues and bugs, plus support this sort of stuff in the industry. This is genuinely the first time supporting a companies actions has become a factor in buying a game in a franchise I enjoy. Makes for an odd predicament.

No way to quit out of the game is really odd though, another thing that reeks of rushed development.

Top Bottom