• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed Unity |OT| Liberté, égalité, parité

Pollux

Can someone explain the Initiates thing. Because so far all that says is "coming soon". So how do I unlock those outfits and weapons, same question for the companion app...

Banned
Just found this in the Initiates badges. Sorry for the poor quality, I just snapled this with my phone. It says "1080P: Earned 90% of the Eidetic Bonuses on Lost Memory Set 3: Resolutiongate."

Come on Ubi, don't pick a fight.
Oh, I thought you took a crappy picture to avoid debates and stuff with people who own lesser smartphone cameras.

Son, let me preach to you about Best Buy GCU. First, it discounts every game 20% so AC5 is $48 there. Second, a ton of new games get a $10 preorder bonus when you preorder the game. So I paid effectively $38+tax for my copy of AC5. Plus I get 2x bonus points on purchases so I will be getting close to 100 points which is worth around $3 extra.

Best Buy is currently offering $40 trade in value for AC5, and GCU members get a 10% bonus so I will be getting back $44 for a game I paid $38 for. I also get points for trade in, giving me another $3 or so in points.

So yeah, thats why I preorder. GCU normally costs $99 but last week you could get 2 years of it for $7. Too late now though.

I preorder pretty much every new PS4/xbox one game but I have one simple rule: always trade it in the first 2 weeks, whether I play or finish or not. AC5 is going in this saturday, I'm going to play as much as I can until then and rebuy it next year when its GOTY with all DLCs and actually fixed.

That sounds pretty expensive on the long run. Trading in games within a week of release to play it again a year later? You bought the game twice.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Can you make Arno all black?

You mean the color pattern? Yes, it's the one I use.

I also like the traditional white-red-gray pattern, looks like Altair or Ezio.

Speaking of customization, the sans-culotte outfit is really nice, you pretty much look like a civilian rather than a tank, but I hate how the hood has a sock-like part hanging from it, so I just use other hoods.

ICPEE

Made a video with some of the glitches I've been encountering. The one where I jump off the Notre Dame is so typically AC. :lol

This is my favorite, though.

vTocXXR.gif
Bwahahahahaha /dead
Ass Creed Unity threads always deliver

They just didn't want to stop at nothing in order to bring this spectacular , never even seen before , 10k NPCs uber cinematic experience. Like , who cares about the game? Load dem NPCs up while fps tanks into single digits , it's all for the better movie-like feel
Aye, i don't understand it, really. Boggles my mind.

The game is fun as hell, and rather visually impressive (Despite the occasional faults).

I really hope the technical stuff gets ironed out, because there's just so much potential for future AC games this gen.

The companion app makes no sense. I'm supposed to have two assassin's, I have one...so I can't do any missions. ACInitiates has no idea that I've played every other game in the series. Uplay is a shitshow. Did they get even one thing right with this release?

WGMBY

Everyone knows that we play a templar in the first Helix sequence aka The Tragedy of Jaques De Molay in the beginning of the game (no spoiler).

But, has anyone any footage of the other sequences:

Triumph of the borgias
The Lone Eagle
Murder in the levant
the emperor's shadow
Fear and loathing in florence
Washington and the wall
The liberation of the lady
Devils of the caribbean
The bladed cross
jazz age junkies
hell in hibernia

Where we play the old assassins and some new ones please?
I could find any on the internet.

Pretty sure that's just references to other games in Abstergo's catalog. I don't think they were intended to be playable.
Devils of the caribbean was one of the suggested names for Abstergo's version of Black Flag. A character mentions it during a pitch meeting.

Pretty sure that's just references to other games in Abstergo's catalog. I don't think they were intended to be playable.
Devils of the caribbean was one of the suggested names for Abstergo's version of Black Flag. A character mentions it during a pitch meeting.

At the beginning of this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sNJt3bbKap8 you get to a screen with different sequences, the first sequence is The Tragedy of Jaques De Molay , you hit play and play it, but when you go to the other sequences and hit play it says sequence not unlocked yet. I was talking about that, I bet you can play in their era just like The Tragedy of Jaques De Molay. Are you sure you can't? Did you unlock them to verify? We need confirmations when you unlock them , what happens. I am almost sure The Emperor's shadow one is the one you get via pre-order, the one taking place in China with 2.5D gameplay. Ubisoft tried to get diferent playstyles.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安

Yeah this was silly, because the player knows he's playing ACU. They tried to do some meta-thingy a la MGS2 but it makes no sense, you know you are playing ACU.

For it to work they would have had to market the whole game as this Helix thing and make the French rev a surprise, but of course that would be impossible.

I guarantee you you can't play those other sequences.

At the beginning of this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sNJt3bbKap8 you get to a screen with different sequences, the first sequence is The Tragedy of Jaques De Molay , you hit play and play it, but when you go to the other sequences and hit play it says sequence not unlocked yet. I was talking about that, I bet you can play in their era just like The Tragedy of Jaques De Molay. Are you sure you can't? Did you unlock them to verify? We need confirmations when you unlock them , what happens. I am almost sure The Emperor's shadow one is the one you get via pre-order, the one taking place in China with 2.5D gameplay. Ubisoft tried to get diferent playstyles.

Maybe DLC will unlock some of them but nothing for the base game.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Sooo I got this game free with my Xbone is it worth playing for someone who really liked AC2/Brotherhood/Black Flag?

I really liked AC2, it's the only one I was hooked on and played the whole way through, stopped playing ACB because of how bad the FPS was (and it looked so gray/depressing), got bored quick with AC4. But this one I am actually having fun as I did back on AC2 and it looks great (except stuff far away when on roofs). I love the customization. Haven't played coop yet. Missions are so-so, but I always hated missions in AC past AC2. At least stealth works better. But the side content is actually fun, and I used to never do any of it.

So, I'm 6 hours in now (Xbox One version). So far I've found the game fun and engaging, but I guess is too early (I'm already seeing that the side-missions are a bit shallow).

The technical issues, though (i.e., framerate), I already fell they are being blown out of proportion. So far I haven't found a single situation where framerate dropping was so bad that got in my way of enjoying the game (I'm also playing Catherine and Hyrule Warriors currently, which happen to have way more problematic framerate drops, and I don't remember so much buzz about that). Before starting AC:U I had finished putting 20 hours into Bayonetta 2, a 40-60fps game, and I am still fine with this game's framerate. The game looks gorgeous too, with some of the best lighting I've ever seen, tons of details in the environment, even for far away buildings, convincing massive crowds... I'm constantly in awe of how good it looks

God, it must be awful to not be able to enjoy games anymore because of being constantly focused on aliasing/tearing/fps/etc... So happy I'm not one of those guys...

Dead

well not really...yet
Glad to say that after playing for quite a bit, I havent had any horrible FPS drops since the Bastille opening part.

The only bad glitches Ive experienced are the NPCs morphing into different NPCs...which is pretty funny anyways

Dazzyman

So, I'm 6 hours in now (Xbox One version). So far I've found the game fun and engaging, but I guess is too early (I'm already seeing that the side-missions are a bit shallow).

The technical issues, though (i.e., framerate), I already fell they are being blown out of proportion. So far I haven't found a single situation where framerate dropping was so bad that got in my way of enjoying the game (I'm also playing Catherine and Hyrule Warriors currently, which happen to have way more problematic framerate drops, and I don't remember so much buzz about that). Before starting AC:U I had finished putting 20 hours into Bayonetta 2, a 40-60fps game, and I am still fine with this game's framerate. The game looks gorgeous too, with some of the best lighting I've ever seen, tons of details in the environment, even for far away buildings, convincing massive crowds... I'm constantly in awe of how good it looks

God, it must be awful to not be able to enjoy games anymore because of being constantly focused on aliasing/tearing/fps/etc... So happy I'm not one of those guys...

A breathe of fresh air from all the negative comments, thank you. From what I've played of the Xbox 1 it's a bit framey but no way gets in the way of gaming and not as bad as some are making out. I've just got the PC version to test against as thats a 3.8ghz oc Haswell 6core, 32gig ram and 2 gtx 980 GeForce sli new build to test on.

I'm on memory 5 sequence 3 and I'm honestly disapointed in the lack of unique kills for targets after seeing that first brutal one. :(

Hope there will be some in the next memories. I'm loving the game so far, coop and story are amazing. So much stuff to do!

Vire

Has anyone on the ps4 gotten the companion app to sync with their game? Is uplay and initiates still broken?

ironcreed

Banned
I am actually enjoying the game so much that I bought the season pass. For the record, I have never bought a season pass before. The Dead Kings content and the little game set in China look great.

I am actually enjoying the game so much that I bought the season pass. For the record, I have never bought a season pass before. The Dead Kings content and the little game set in China look great.

Yeah I can't wait for the DLC. Glad to see your enjoying it. I loved my time with it, still do. Just hope some of that tech stuff gets patched.

How did you even get it to do that? I have an Ipad sitting right next to my ps4 and it doesn't really seem to work. Like I haven't seen it locate arno at all.
You have to sign in to ulay through the app and then the app connects to the uplay service which then connects to the game.

ironcreed

Banned
Yeah I can't wait for the DLC. Glad to see your enjoying it. I loved my time with it, still do. Just hope some of that tech stuff gets patched.

Oh, for sure. But all I have ran into are a few minor dips and a couple of areas where it freezes/stutters for a split second. Other than that, it is playing fine. There is a great game here underneath a few warts. Which can be said for many games that I have enjoyed.

I've been playing for a few days now, and am on sequence 8. I'm enjoying it, and don't feel the same as a lot of those who criticize it.

Is it a masterpiece? No. But it's one of the better AC games, and I like a lot of what they did. However, it's technically flawed.

Anyone else having achievement issues? I never got the one for sequence 6. Read others' complaints on GameFaqs. Would that be Microsoft's issues from yesterday rearing their ugly head or a problem with the game? It shows as..."done...unlocking.."

At the very least, Unity seems like an interesting testing bed for future releases. The next few iterations on this formula ought to be fantastic, looking at the jump from AC1 to AC2, then continued iterative refinement over the next few releases.

Ducayne

Could someone spoil the present day narrative beats for me? I feel like they haven't really been building a new story arc since the wrap up Desmond's plot.

Catdaddy

Has anyone on the ps4 gotten the companion app to sync with their game? Is uplay and initiates still broken?

No problems last night, I'm on Android, not sure if that has anything to do with it. Been messing with the app on my phone here at work, running nomad missions and puzzles.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Unity is a return to form, sheds off all the exessive luggage the series took on over the years. Brotherhood management, tower defense, fleet management, almost all meta-stuff is gone except for the basic Café Théâtre upgrades. Which are a lot more interesting because there are side missions involved.
No more insane eavesdrop missions and other trite. Just large urban exploration and assassinations. The city is HUGE with loads of verticality, making traversing the rooftops more challenging and interesting than ever. Sure there are the much-discussed technical flaws, but let's not for a moment pretend the others didn't have the exact same shit performance. So if you've played a lof of the previous games, you're probably kind of "used to" the framerates, NPC hickups and stuff like that. [This isn't excusing the performance whatsoever, I'm just saying that if you were able to look past that in previous games, you will in this one too]

I don't see how anyone who enjoyed the first few AC's won't enjoy this one. It's an Assassin's Creed game again, finally. If you're looking for naval combat there's always Rogue.

Definitely a return to form and I appreciate the shedding of extraneous management systems. I do wish it was a bit more like ACII where you actually had to go to different shops to buy things. It's a bit weird in Unity where you can just open up the customization menu and buy weapons out of thin air. You still need to go to merchants for consumable items, though.

I just finished the first open-ended assassination mission and it was a lot of fun. Looks like you can tackle it in a variety of ways.

That's it, i'm done.

I've never seen anything like this while playing the game... Is it a VRAM issue?

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue
Glad to say that after playing for quite a bit, I havent had any horrible FPS drops since the Bastille opening part.

The only bad glitches Ive experienced are the NPCs morphing into different NPCs...which is pretty funny anyways

That's a Smith. Be careful Neo.

ZeroX03

Banned
Is it me or is this thread quite quiet for a game that's just released?

Yeah but there's like ten other threads talking about this game, you add them all together you've got 100+ pages.

A nice way to say the rage over technical issues has killed a lot of the buzz to actually play the game.

Top Bottom