• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed Unity |OT| Liberté, égalité, parité

Murtrod

What are your guys' non-performance related impressions of the game? Does it play well? How's(re) the plot/characters? Is it worth the $60?

Edit: Is the combat even remotely different from the predecessors?

Dawg

Posted this tweet earlier today. Got maybe 15 retweets after half an hour. Went to the store and when I returned home, it suddenly had 500. Now it's 1000+ :lol

retweetsllsqb.png

DOWN

Banned
What are your guys' non-performance related impressions of the game? Does it play well? How's(re) the plot/characters? Is it worth the $60?

You'll die if you get in a battle against 3 in many cases. The world and animations are top notch. The characters are the best leads yet and have tons of chemistry, and the story is like a chilled European Assassin's twist on some Shakespeare.

first thing to do when playing this game is switch spoken language! Makes a world of difference! Aside from the frame rate having a blast. I don't know how hopeful I am about Ubisoft fixing the optimization on pc, its all over the place.

murgo

I really hope they can fix the technical issues. The game is absolutely beautiful when it performs as it should. Which is almost never, unfortunately :(

Murtrod

You'll die if you get in a battle against 3 in many cases. The world and animations are top notch. The characters are the best leads yet and have tons of chemistry, and the story is like a chilled European Assassin's twist on some Shakespeare.

Sounds like an improvement, then. I was extremely worried about plot arc and characters, but it sounds decent enough. I'll wait for these horrendous glitches to be ironed out and I will consider it. Thanks!

Anyone else have any thoughts?

Ricker

To French I assume?

Bien sur ;)...I started in English and then thought,what am I doing this is the french revolution and french is my maiden(sp?) tongue lol...

Got my first noticeable frame drop and it wasnt even because of the huge crowd,it was inside the Basilique Notre-Dame,climbing the wall it stuttered like crazy for some reason...but man the graphics in there,just beautiful...

Cheska

I just wanted to post my initial expressions for some people that are still on the fence. I'm playing Unity on a PS4, on a 65" LED tv, with a pair of PS Gold headphones. So far, I have nothing but good things to say about the game.

Bear with me, I'm not saying this excuses the very real problems the game has. There is no denying the frame rate issues and glitches galore that are present in this game, BUT, so far, I have yet to run into anything that is game breaking. I've had only one issue with the lower frame rate, and that was while I was exploring a cathedral.

Yesterday, I was convinced I was going to just skip this game and spend my week off catching up on my backlog. However, I had a bunch of credit at BB, plus my GCU and I felt it was worth a gamble to try and form my own opinion about the game.

I am loving Arno, he is an extremely likable character, and his story has intrigued me so far. The game is gorgeous, lightning, atmosphere, music, everything oozes beauty IMO.
I love the customization options. Changing appearance and colors have always been some of my favorite parts. The hours I've played have been enjoyable, and as soon as my controller finishes charging I'll definitely be jumping back on.

I'm not saying everyone should give this game a try, but if you're a big enough fan, and have enough interest, then give it a shot.

jet1911

About one hour in, the music and the cutscenes are amazing. The french dub is really good too. The framerate is indeed all over the place but I can deal with it, for now.

Muffdraul

To me it seems like they finally took a good hard look at what made AC2 the fan favorite. They didn't outright copy it, but it does hit a lot of the same beats so far. And adds some new ones. No idea how the story will pan out, but the initial set up after six hours has me very interested. The characters and dialogue are great. I was sorry to hear Corey May was no longer the main writer (because he got promoted to oversee Ubi's new global story dept.) but whoever took over is apparently just as good if not better.

The combat seems to be a minor evolution from AC3. Take that as you will.

Arcoril

About one hour in, the music and the cutscenes are amazing. The french dub is really good too. The framerate is indeed all over the place but I can deal with it, for now.

Yeah, I'm actually having a lot of fun. It looks amazing and I dig the art. Haven't run into too many technical issues so far, but I might put the game down for a week or two and give my copy of Halo: MCC some love while the fixes and optimizations roll out.

Enjoying it quite a bit so far, technical issues aside.

Only finished sequence two though, other than that I've just been doing side content. It's really nice to have an AC game with more verticality and beautiful architecture again.

Did a couple co-op missions as well and they're pretty entertaining although fairly laggy/buggy.

Hopefully Ubisoft can get a patch out fairly quickly because so far Unity seems to have all the makings to be on par with the Ezio trilogy.

I know this sounds snobby, but it seems like if you can play this game on a good and especially a huge HDTV, there is a lot to like.

Playing it on an older 32" TV, I wonder if I'd be feeling the same way about it.

Joeki11a

Banned
This game needs less crowd, save the big crowds for certain events not every damn corner.

I played up to 2 assassinations and I can clearly see this game as AC1 all over again, did you forget how horrible that ran on PS3?
But with the animations of AC3 and clean UI of AC2.

Overall it just feels like they started again, this is a cinematic AC game, at times the game literally has scenes that look like CG, faces and animations.

Namikaze1

Experienced so many glitches in the three hours I put into the game so far. The worst I would say would be getting stuck in the haystack and unable to get out of it.

Arno so far is quite likable. Reminds me a lot of Ezio.

Joeki11a

Banned
I must say that experiencing Rifts was amazing why?, oh it had zero crowds to cause bad framerate that section played out like a CG moment totally mindblowing.

Joeki11a

Banned
Experienced so many glitches in the three hours I put into the game so far. The worst I would say would be getting stuck in the haystack and unable to get out of it.

Arno so far is quite likable. Reminds me a lot of Ezio.

Just wait until you fall through the map that happened 3 times already, its pretty obvious
Ubi has to be working on a patch for this game and released it with a semi fix patch first day.

zlatko

Banned
The one under the first viewpoint? It was such a dick move to put that right there, but maybe they figured it would make people aware of the app/initiates thing.

I'd still prefer we didn't have it at all.

Holy shit that's bad. One of my favorite parts of Black Flag was how painless redoing most missions were. I'm way less interested in replaying this now.

There's a million better ways to introduce the additional content you can get to via the app/initatives/uplay. That first chest is just idiotic haha. I also find it sad the app content can be unlocked for a measly $1.99, but I'm sure the grind on the app is hours upon hours. Which makes me weary of the app... and that's sad since I loved black flags app. I even made a thread about it last year, and how it was good but that I was scared about this in the future if it went down a bad road.

But the lack of proper skip like you said is just unforgivable...It is one of my biggest detractors from Destiny as well. That game is non stop repetitive content and not being able to skip the cut scenes makes me hate doing story missions over in Destiny. I'll try to 100% missions my first time through here in Unity to avoid that crap scenario, blah.

---------

I can't believe Uplay, the app, and initiative content is still borked. Come on Ubi. :/

I'm still going to judge this game on its own merit, but in the end this could make or break my hype for all Ubi products, including my personal most hyped of 2015 which is the division.

Joeki11a

Banned
okay how the fuck does co-op work?

I was wondering that to but Noticed like Destiny this has "public" events and you can Join a fellow gamer.

I was just roaming around and it appeared "want to join" and you say yes. Missions was simple we did it, got a trophy then it logs you out.

Naite

Haven't really tried heavy weapons but it seems like one handed weapons are the way to go. I was using long weapons for a while but long weapon master is useless late in the game since the followup attack is either avoided or barely does any damage (I'm using the Ceremonial Partisan). I was fighting a single enemy with a giant healthbar doing nothing but sweep>stab>sweep>stab for about 15 seconds til he died. By comparison using one-handed weapon master is fast, spammable and does a ton of damage.

dEvAnGeL

Gold Member
i just read a spoiler on a youtube video and i would like someone to verify if this is indeed true or not, i will not post it here so if you finished the game already quote this so i can send you a PM with the question, thanks

Top Bottom