• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed Unity |OT| Liberté, égalité, parité

DOWN

Banned
The Ubi forums omg this can't be real:

the game was very warm and it felt really pleasent warming and natural. the 900p are really awesome. 1080p would just look to sharp and cold.

wait-you-re-serious-o.gif

Gaz_RB

They need to cut the NPC's down. That many is seriously not needed. It only makes the game run worse..And walking through crowds suck. You bump into everyone and can't just push them out the way like in older AC games. Whats up with that?

Yeah it's weird that AC1 seemed to have better crowd interaction.

Muffdraul

They need to cut the NPC's down. That many is seriously not needed. It only makes the game run worse..And walking through crowds suck. You bump into everyone and can't just push them out the way like in older AC games. Whats up with that?

Seems to me it's more like they changed it so you don't have to push a button anymore, you just automatically squeeze by NPCs. Unless I'm running, then I'll collide with them.

fernoca

I just wanted to post my initial expressions for some people that are still on the fence. I'm playing Unity on a PS4, on a 65" LED tv, with a pair of PS Gold headphones. So far, I have nothing but good things to say about the game.

Bear with me, I'm not saying this excuses the very real problems the game has. There is no denying the frame rate issues and glitches galore that are present in this game, BUT, so far, I have yet to run into anything that is game breaking. I've had only one issue with the lower frame rate, and that was while I was exploring a cathedral.

Yesterday, I was convinced I was going to just skip this game and spend my week off catching up on my backlog. However, I had a bunch of credit at BB, plus my GCU and I felt it was worth a gamble to try and form my own opinion about the game.

I am loving Arno, he is an extremely likable character, and his story has intrigued me so far. The game is gorgeous, lightning, atmosphere, music, everything oozes beauty IMO.
I love the customization options. Changing appearance and colors have always been some of my favorite parts. The hours I've played have been enjoyable, and as soon as my controller finishes charging I'll definitely be jumping back on.

I'm not saying everyone should give this game a try, but if you're a big enough fan, and have enough interest, then give it a shot.
Pretty much. I love the game. Everything reminds me of ACII and I play with a grin in my face because of that. (Note: I was hugely disappointed with the first AC game, so ignored II at launch. Ended receiving it as a gift)

Heck, I was ready to skip Unity after III and IV been such a letdown (and the strong focus on naval battles).

So far, I haven't encountered any glitches, problems or noticeable/horrible pop-in. That doesn't excuse the problems, neither implies the game's perfect. Just that so far, my experience has been positive. That Ubisoft needs to get off their high horse and do something is a no-brainer.

Playing on a 24" PlayStation 3D Display. So, quoting this...just because:
PS4 Share said:
Anyone that at least liked the Ezio Trilogy should give this a try.

On an amazon review of the game..

195 of 204 people found the following review helpful
Become a $60 Beta Assassin!, November 12, 2014
By Christian Stella "author"This review is from: Assassin's Creed Unity PlayStation 4 (Video Game)
AC Unity is true next-gen. In fact, it is SO next-gen that it isn't even finished yet! I like to be on the cutting edge and I appreciate that Ubisoft is making games that it is still making, even weeks after you've beaten them.

I also love the forced integration with an app as well as a website. How that works is that you sign in with your uplay account to experience so many error messages that last gen could never display on screen at one time.

The game itself (no spoilers) centers around Arno, an Assasin in search of locked chests that require a cell phone game with micro transactions to open. You level him up by "hacking" into your bank account to drain real money at 60 FPS. The rest of the game runs at a solid 12 FPS which is TWICE as cinematic as a movie... No small feat! Once you've completed "playing" a website on your computer, Arno is finally ready to fall through the ground and enter a white abyss... The core challenge of the game, these moments where you simply fall into the sky that accurately existed under 1700's Paris, are some of the most nail-biting moments in any game ever made... Will the game crash? Will you have to hard reset your console? Results are random, so it will always be a surprise!

Many people just won't "get" this evolution of Assassin's Creed and should spend their time opening up a history book instead. It is there they could read up on Paris' floating people and long battle with pop-in. Even today, many Parisians only exist after you've already walked past them. It is these small details that Ubisoft has nailed and they deserve applause with tons of random audio pops just as you'd hear in the game's cinematics.

After playing this gem, I've decided to fly to Montreal tomorrow to begin playing 2018's Assassin's Creed 9. Unity's only shortcoming was that it was a little TOO finished, so I am hoping the Ubisoft guys will let me plug my controller into a broken vending machine in their studio that simply eats dollars that I put into it without delivering.
lol, damn.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Goddamn doing the co-op missions alone is hard as hell. Also the heists give out a shit ton of money. During my first heist, which was a perfect run btw, also in a gorgeous castle, I got like 17K. Geez.

DOWN

Banned
Goddamn doing the co-op missions alone is hard as hell. Also the heists give out a shit ton of money. During my first heist, which was a perfect run btw, also in a gorgeous castle, I got like 17K. Geez.

IGN says it seems like heists are pretty much the only way you'll efficiently get the best clothing.

I must be going crazy; I swear it seems like the framerate on PS4 has gotten better. I'm on Sequence 6, actually I'm doing the last upgrade mission for the Theater, and the game seems to be running at 30fps most of the time now. Even the controls feel slighted more responsive. Maybe I'm imagining things; I also haven't ran through a mob of hundreds in a minute either. Gonna test that out and see what's going on.

Crossing Eden

IGN says it seems like heists are pretty much the only way you'll efficiently get the best clothing.
Paris Stories also give out some good income, although nothing compared to the heists. Haven't even progressed through the story today. Just did some side content. Loving the mission design and huge scale of the buildings.

I must be going crazy; I swear it seems like the framerate on PS4 has gotten better. I'm on Sequence 6, actually I'm doing the last upgrade mission for the Theater, and the game seems to be running at 30fps most of the time now. Even the controls feel slighted more responsive. Maybe I'm imagining things; I also haven't ran through a mob of hundreds in a minute either. Gonna test that out and see what's going on.
The game generally runs better if you stay on the rooftops. And especially runs well inside and during stealth missions.

A Reddit post inspired me to make this cover, as well as this wonderful glitchy screenshot.

dUI9ZJE.jpg

Tuesday morning no reviews in
It's all because of, some embargo
Ubisoft just wants your money
Microtransactions? How about no?
Unity is really glitchy
With a framerate, close to zero
NPC's don't follow physics
Teleporting, into walls, whoa

Arno, etes-vous OK?
So, Arno, etes-vous OK?
Etes-vous OK, Arno?
Arno, etes-vous OK?
So, Arno, etes-vous OK?
Etes-vous OK, Arno?
Arno, etes-vous OK?
So, Arno, etes-vous OK?
Etes-vous OK, Arno?
Arno, etes-vous OK?
So, Arno, etes-vous OK?
Etes-vous OK, Arno?

Arno, etes-vous OK?
You can escape from Ubisoft
If you just get your game patched,
Then you just might redeem yourself, Arno
They butchered your revolution
Revolution, that's what you need
Ubi's stocks are going down
It's not your fault
Screw Ubisoft

Arno, etes-vous OK?
So, Arno, etes-vous OK?
Etes-vous OK, Arno?
Arno, etes-vous OK?
So, Arno, etes-vous OK?
Etes-vous OK, Arno?
Arno, etes-vous OK?
So, Arno, etes-vous OK?
Etes-vous OK, Arno?
You've been hit by
You've been hit by a smooth Ubisoft

Posted this tweet earlier today. Got maybe 15 retweets after half an hour. Went to the store and when I returned home, it suddenly had 500. Now it's 1000+ :lol

retweetsllsqb.png

Oh, you posted that. Heh, would you look at that.

I finally got the Companion App to work; I needed to connect to Wi-Fi, apparently. Now, I've just got to figure out these Nomad missions. The app is a nice idea, but it seems a bit, I don't know, convoluted.

I played for 2 hours today, but I didn't get any of the story completed. I found myself wandering the streets of Paris doing some of the side missions, but mostly I was trying to gracefully master the descend.

Here are a few screenshots:

JJP12

Hey has anyone had any problems with their map disappearing? I just fast traveled and now it looks like this:
DrOkPem.jpg

I had most of the viewpoints synchronized but now there is only one area displayed. I can no longer find any mission icons and I'm basically stuck. Resetting the game did not help. Does anyone know of this issue or possibly a fix?

Crossing Eden

Hey has anyone had any problems with their map disappearing? I just fast traveled and now it looks like this:
DrOkPem.jpg

I had most of the viewpoints synchronized but now there is only one area displayed. I can no longer find any mission icons and I'm basically stuck. Resetting the game did not help. Does anyone know of this issue or possibly a fix?
Pretty sure that you're now in Versailles. Which is a small map from the prologue of the game. One of the fast travel icons leads back to Paris.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
I'm not in love with the traversal. Maybe I just haven't adjusted to the changes yet?

It's way better.

Pro tip: If you're hanging on something and you want to "round the corner" instead of move laterally hold L2.

Very torn on this game. Have brought every AC game since the beginning (except for revelations), and finished and loved all of them in there own special way.

This really looks like the best looking game on the ps4/xbox and ac2 is still by far my favorite assassins game, this gives off a huge ac2 vibe .

I am really hoping they can patch in performance improvements as its the only thing stopping me from jumping in. I can live with weird citizen behavior and even popin to an extent. Every AC game has been janky in that regard.

The french setting doesn't even appeal to me much but something about ac games always pulls me in.

• How Different Is the combat?
  • Do all the weapon types actually mean anything ingame?
  • Do we have ac2 style tombs?
  • Do we have properties e.t.c to buy and upgrade like ac2 ?

Still haven't seen it posted. Any clubs on X1? If not I guess I could start one for grins.

EDIT seeing as GAF, NGF are already in use I assume there are some but search doesn't find them at all. Broke ass game lol.

Anyway created one under NGAF tag. Search if anyone is interested.

ViciousDS

Banned
Still haven't seen it posted. Any clubs on X1? If not I guess I could start one for grins.

I tried so hard to resist opening the game....but i love AC games to much, I'm pretty sure I'll love the game in French outside the technical issues of course.

Add me on the xbox

TheViciousDS is my GT

Going to start now

And then sleep because i have to get up early lol

webkatt

• How Different Is the combat?
  • Do all the weapon types actually mean anything ingame?
  • Do we have ac2 style tombs?
  • Do we have properties e.t.c to buy and upgrade like ac2 ?

1. Combat feels more realistic, you're not a kill bot any longer. You can still do streaks, parries, etc but getting hit actually matters. I'm just at the beginning so this may change.

2. I haven't played around with the weapons yet.

3. I'm not sure about the tombs. They have rifts which are similar but I only played one.

4. You can buy property and renovate it forsee income. I don't recall how it was in ac2 but it reminds me of revelations?

Okay then...

I woke up this morning, and found that AC:U hadn't fully downloaded quite yet. I'm at like, 80%. That's okay, since I can apparrently play while downloading! Hey, that's cool, actually!

I boot it up, play through the prologue, play with my settings to get things nice and smooth, finish the prologue, and...

lHJClTJ.jpg

The fact that this is here is not the issue.

The fact that I can't DO ANYTHING is.

I can't go back to the menu, I can't go play the prologue again, I can't quit the game, change settings, nothing.

Only thing I can do is Alt+F4.

Dude. Ubisoft. I know it's a "temporary" thing, but jeez, at least give me a "Back to title screen/quit" button!

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Okay then...

I woke up this morning, and found that AC:U hadn't fully downloaded quite yet. I'm at like, 80%. That's okay, since I can apparrently play while downloading! Hey, that's cool, actually!

I boot it up, play through the prologue, play with my settings to get things nice and smooth, finish the prologue, and...

The fact that this is here is not the issue.

The fact that I can't DO ANYTHING is.

I can't go back to the menu, I can't go play the prologue again, I can't quit the game, change settings, nothing.

Only thing I can do is Alt+F4.

Dude. Ubisoft. I know it's a "temporary" thing, but jeez, at least give me a "Back to title screen/quit" button!

Is it stuck there? Doesn't seem normal. I know on console it installs while you play, but don't you have an option to just install it all?

Well, spoke too soon. Frame drops are back, indoors no less. Funny because I ran through a large crowd and things stayed smooth just prior. So much for that. : |

Oni3298

I like the game overall but the framerate abd stuttering are really getting to me. It seems like after playing the game for an hour or two, I start getting consistent stuttering every 2 seconds or so and it's driving me crazy. How is a game launched like this acceptably?

woen

Any news/word from Ubisoft since the release ? No explanation, nothing ?They're not working to fix at least some glitchs and the framerate?

I will confess....

So this game is without a doubt a technical disaster - in so many ways. But I am enjoying some of the mission design. The more focused assassinations are really fun. The murder mysteries are great side missions. Even the rifts create some cool and different scenarios that I like. There are some good ideas here....

cb1115

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
just started exploring the top part of the map. wanna say I'm in Sequence 4.

anyway, that area seems to run a little better. still not great tho.

the performance really is a shame. the free-running is so great when things are running smoothly.

JSR_Cube

I'm not keeping the game, so here's a PS4 code for:
: An Extra Mission entitled Chemical Revolution.
: A Double Barreled Over-Under Pistol

I am not sure that it is of use to anyone but quote to reveal the code. It's from Bestbuy.ca (North America PS4 only).

Subxero

Other than a little slow down in the one chapel at the beginning. I have to say I am really enjoying the game so far. It feels like a return to Achieve 2 and Brotherhood. Which were my favorites. The game is beautiful on the PS4. The environment is excellent and the number of Npcs really add to the experience. The added activities like the Murder Mysteries are a welcome addition. While I do not like Micro transactions, it seems that these are only time savers, which I will just ignore.

My biggest gripe so far is the android app. I think they could have just left the assassins mini game in the menus or made it accessible through the headquarters like in previous games. Then used the app as a alternative way to play while away from the game.

I am not sure that it is of use to anyone but quote to reveal the code. It's from Bestbuy.ca (North America PS4 only).

Thanks!

Edit: Don't see a code haha.

Beaulieu

that game is beautiful, damn. the ballroom scene was nice looking. terrible LOD transition on the character models but damn.

loading times are quite long tho.

I play in french and it sounds real nice, love the VA.

Riddler

Code?

Elios83

I will confess....

So this game is without a doubt a technical disaster - in so many ways. But I am enjoying some of the mission design. The more focused assassinations are really fun. The murder mysteries are great side missions. Even the rifts create some cool and different scenarios that I like. There are some good ideas here....

The game is great, unfortunately it was released in an unfinished state with significant frame rate problems and bugs/glitches.
Hopefully Ubisoft can fix their shit together even if they have to ask Sony and Microsoft to help.
The fact the the day one patch was released even earlier than scheduled makes me confident that there will be more updates relatively soon.

webkatt

Someone needs to give me some xbox codes, lol

Herne

Been playing for about three hours now.

"New", next generation Assassin's Creed, rebuilt from the ground up, as they say. Well, it sure feels like the same old shite. The design doesn't appear to have moved on at all. Very disappointing, in that aspect at least. The French Revolution is a favourite period of mine to study, though, so I'm enjoying it otherwise.

Dartastic

I'm thinking of holding off on playing this for a few weeks in hopes that Ubi makes a patch to up the framerate. I already have Alien, Sunset Overdrive, COD and soon Dragon Age and Captain Toad. I'm fine for a while.

Top Bottom