• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed Unity |OT| Liberté, égalité, parité

SJRB

Gold Member
Just did the first murder mystery, that was pretty great. Kind of genius to add something like that to the game, really.

ah that must be it. i don't remember where i found the edward one...maybe it was in the cafe or something.

is initaties even working though? when i login it doesn't show that i've between any of the previous ass games. i know for sure i had AC4 linked.

Yeah, it's right next to the Café, just found it. :lol

So how the hell do I get Initiates to recognize I have played all these games?

Also what can I do with this companion app? What does spending two dollars do for me in it?

SJRB

Gold Member
Still can't play co-op

=/

I did a four-player mission with randoms earlier, matchmaking took some time [30 seconds], but after that the experience was super smooth: no lag, no disconnects.

It's so surreal scaling walls and running over rooftops with four assassins. Felt like an ultimate badass when I took cover behind a wall, team member 2 and 3 take the highground, fourth one throws a smokebomb and while 2 and 3 air-assassinate the guards I run up through the smoke and shank the target.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
So how the hell do I get Initiates to recognize I have played all these games?

Also what can I do with this companion app? What does spending two dollars do for me in it?

Whatever it is, it's not worth it. Please don't encourage them by spending money on their throwaway companion app.

Whatever it is, it's not worth it. Please don't encourage them by spending money on their throwaway companion app.

What if Yves Guillemot shows up and hands me a golden ticket to his little o'l heart?
That's worth two dollars to me. Or in the case of Unity, two hundred Helix points.

Dahbomb

The hate for the game is overblown and is compounded by various PR mishaps Ubisoft has done all year long.

The game is genuinely a 7/10 (as in above average), possible 8/10 if they fix the performance issues and essentially remove the "play app to unlock chest" bull shit. The scope of the game is staggering and there is no game with as many NPCs as ACU. In fact I would day they have too many NPCs.

When I first played AC1, my faults with the game weren't "man I really hope they up the NPC count for the next game" or "man I really want to play in one huge ass city rather than 3 smaller ones". My issues with AC were always related to the jank, uninteresting side quests, the Animus future storyline and general mechanics (poor AI, poor stealth mechanics, poor combat). Most of that is still in the game although slightly improved over the numerous iterations.

If they had released AC1, kept the same NPC count and world size but improved NPC AI, animations, collisions as well as improved performance then no one would've complained. Instead Ubisoft just packed the game with as many NPCs as the system could handle and marketed the game off of that.

Who the fuck cares about 10K NPCs when they are dumber than leaves on a tree and are constantly popping in and glitching out? They added more NPCs to give more immersion but it takes you out of the immersion really fast. It's probably the ugliest thing to look at in the game when otherwise it's a good looking game.

Having a lot of fun with this game. The weapons are definitely the highlight though.

On a side Ubisoft bullshited the cloaks it seems. There are only 2 that are close to E3's length, and they look shorter. At best they implied length that only 2 late level cloaks meet, or at worst they blatantly showed off a cloak that isn't in the game fluffing up the clothe physics. For reference the two cloaks are Arno's Master and Tailored Coats, if someone has unlocked said chest pieces let me know if they match E3's length and physics.

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
I did a four-player mission with randoms earlier, matchmaking took some time [30 seconds], but after that the experience was super smooth: no lag, no disconnects.

It's so surreal scaling walls and running over rooftops with four assassins. Felt like an ultimate badass when I took cover behind a wall, team member 2 and 3 take the highground, fourth one throws a smokebomb and while 2 and 3 air-assassinate the guards I run up through the smoke and shank the target.

Matchmaking 30 minutes and nothing

kaiiri

mine was the total opposite. totally laggy. I'd go for a kill and my Mariners would show up out of nowhere killing that target and I get thrown to the floor. lolx

did another one that was a 2 man mission. ended with some guy we needed to talk to. tried to locate him and realized he was under us. only doors we found were locked. I don't know about the other guy but I only had lock pick 1 unlocked so far. so... we were just stuck. that seemed weird.

guess I can't do it like other ac games and do the main quest before tackling most of the side ones.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Having a lot of fun with this game. The weapons are definitely the highlight though.

On a side Ubisoft bullshited the cloaks it seems. There are only 2 that are close to E3's length, and they look shorter. At best they implied length that only 2 late level cloaks meet, or at worst they blatantly showed off a cloak that isn't in the game fluffing up the clothe physics. For reference the two cloaks are Arno's Master and Tailored Coats, if someone has unlocked said chest pieces let me know if they match E3's length and physics.
The outfit from e3 is called "Arno's tailored outfit." Every piece says it's gear he acquired early in his career. It's the exact same cloak.

So I've been playing for maybe 6-7 hours now, and I like the game, just not as much as the other AC games. I've come across the glitches, but they didn't deter me as of yet, the only thing that bugs me is that I need to get skill points to unlock things

That being said, I've mainly been doing side missions and haven't been following the story much

Ubi says they're working on a fix for the frame rate and pop-in on Twitter. Hopefully that materializes soon.

I'm getting my copy tonight, hyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyped.

Is it me or is this thread quite quiet for a game that's just released?

Conversation has split into multiple, multiple threads.

so I am still getting a glitch where anytime I come back from a co-op game or I die during my single player game, my games starts twitching every 1-2 seconds. I am thinking of trying to uninstall the game and reinstalling to see if it fixes it, it is really annoying to have to restart the game every time it happens. To uninstall a game, do I just press Options on the icon and press delete? on ps4 btw. Could this potentially mess with my save file?

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
So I've been playing for maybe 6-7 hours now, and I like the game, just not as much as the other AC games. I've come across the glitches, but they didn't deter me as of yet, the only thing that bugs me is that I need to get skill points to unlock things

That being said, I've mainly been doing side missions and haven't been following the story much

Same, but I feel this is more because they haven't given me a lot of reason to do the main story missions. It feels like there hasn't been much context given to anything, and that Arno's motivations are poorly explained. His whole initiation into the Assassin's Brotherhood seemed a bit forced. I also kind of wish they would pay a bit more attention to the French revolution. As of yet, it really does just seem like a backdrop, rather than a central point of the story as the American revolution was in ACIII.

Maybe things will improve as I go along. I just finished the first open-ended assassination mission (completing sequence 3?), so I'm still quite early.

With that said, I am enjoying the side content and just exploring Paris. I'm consistently impressed by the environments.

DOWN

Banned
Ubi says they're working on a fix for the frame rate and pop-in on Twitter. Hopefully that materializes soon.

Wait where is this tweet? Source please

The outfit from e3 is called "Arno's tailored outfit." Every piece says it's gear he acquired early in his career. It's the exact same cloak.

That's probably my favorite outfit. The default navy is default for a reason. Catches the lighting effects and cloth sheen so well. Shows off the physics and material beautifully.

RedAssedApe

Banned

Wait where is this tweet? Source please

Hmm...seems like general @ replies saying they are looking at all known issues to people complaining on twitter instead of an announcement of an actual fix in the works? Won't come up unless you look at Tweets & Replies

Dahbomb

They can honestly cut down the NPC count by HALF and no one would notice it.

Assuming that's how they plan to fix the framerate.

Crossing Eden

That's probably my favorite outfit. The default navy is default for a reason. Catches the lighting effects and cloth sheen so well. Shows off the physics and material beautifully.
Yep, been using it the whole time. Had to change it to green tho, friend who was over yesterday wouldn't stop pestering me until I turned it to a different color "to please her." ._. Looks quite good when it's green actually.

DOWN

Banned
Hmm...seems like general @ replies saying they are looking at all known issues to people complaining on twitter instead of an announcement of an actual fix in the works? Won't come up unless you look at Tweets & Replies

Um what's with these idiots on twitter not mentioning platform? I want to know if PS4 has been addressed. (I realize they know, but I want to see a tweet about PS4)

ubiblu

Um what's with these idiots on twitter not mentioning platform? I want to know if PS4 has been addressed. (I realize they know, but I want to see a tweet about PS4)

Based on what I can see, all replies do not directly address which platform, but logically this should be reassuring news to everyone either way. Bizarre we haven't had a formal "shit, sorry everyone. We were hoping to have a fix before launch. Just prepping one now to add an option for stable 30fps at the cost of halving the crowds; you choose".

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
So do we have a Gaf PS4 club going? And if so, can I get an invite? My PSN is "Ryuhza"

Also, does it seem to anyone else as though the framerate improves when the HUD is set to minimal?

DOWN

Banned
Can't decide if I should shelve Unity in hopes of patches until after I finish Advanced Warfare, GTA V, and DA: I, or go with my heart and keep lusting over a pretty great Paris.

tumblr_mab0ci3rIU1qivndso9_250.gif

zlatko

Banned
Just picked this up. Played about 1 hour.

*Lots of pop in
*Couldn't open first chest due to app/initiatives
*Can't use initatives due to the site being a mess. Doesn't think I've ever played an AC game.
*Can't skip cut scenes(Wanted to get a perfect back on first mission for slides...had to do it all from scratch. Wow)
*Can't quit out of redoing a mission...wtf? Good lord... won't redo one ever now. Thanks.

Those are my negatives so far on PS4.

They need to cut the NPC's down. That many is seriously not needed. It only makes the game run worse..And walking through crowds suck. You bump into everyone and can't just push them out the way like in older AC games. Whats up with that?

Scanna

The more I play this game the angrier I get about all of these performance issues. The rest is amazing and the vistas are breath taking

Elios83

Got the game and played a couple of hours, just got to Paris and did a few side quests.

I'm really enjoying the game, superb graphics, amazing atmosphere, gameplay is Assassin's Creed, nothing revolutionary, just a few refinements to controls (like climbing down, separate cover and stealth buttons, counter attacks aren't used to start automatic combo kills), much better side quests with an actual story/background which is a definitive plus to me.
The game is solid, I've installed the day one patch before playing and I've not encountered weird glitches so far, no zombies, no Arno getting stucked into ledges, no NPCs teletransporting or falling from sky, no weird animations. Nothing so far.
The only disappointment is the frame rate, it sucks, plain and simple. Sometimes it's what it should be, sometimes it's just unacceptable (constant 20-25 fps) and the main character becomes just slow and unresponsive to controls which negatively impact the experience.
Ubisoft has fucked up and the game needed to be optimized more before shipping, this is not acceptable on consoles.
Hopefully they'll be able to fix their shit soon.
But beyond that the game is great.

A few pics I've taken on PS4:
http://imgur.com/a/Hd259

Crossing Eden

Just picked this up. Played about 1 hour.

*Lots of pop in
*Can't use initatives due to the site being a mess. Doesn't think I've ever played an AC game.
*Can't skip cut scenes(Wanted to get a perfect back on first mission for slides...had to do it all from scratch. Wow)
*Can't quit out of redoing a mission...wtf? Good lord... won't redo one ever now. Thanks.

Those are my negatives so far on PS4.
Hold circle to skip cutscenes and also there should be a quit mission button in the pause menu.

Hasney

Can't decide if I should shelve Unity in hopes of patches until after I finish Advanced Warfare, GTA V, and DA: I, or go with my heart and keep lusting over a pretty great Paris.

tumblr_mab0ci3rIU1qivndso9_250.gif

Ubi games traditionally go down in price by the end of the year AND hopefully there'll be some patches by then!

Wait it out. I believe in you.

DOWN

Banned
Ubi games traditionally go down in price by the end of the year AND hopefully there'll be some patches by then!

Wait it out. I believe in you.

Oh no, I already bought it. I got it at midnight day one. But the question is, can I stop? Can the world stop?

via PS4 Share

Seriously tho, whoever is on the lighting team deserves an Oscar. It's among the most beautiful ever in a game.

WGMBY

The one under the first viewpoint? It was such a dick move to put that right there, but maybe they figured it would make people aware of the app/initiates thing.

I'd still prefer we didn't have it at all.

Holy shit that's bad. One of my favorite parts of Black Flag was how painless redoing most missions were. I'm way less interested in replaying this now.

The Flop

Banned
I may be among the minority here, but I played a bit last night and got to where you open up co-op missions. That last mission where you
become an assasin and drink the goblet
was freaking incredible graphic wise.

Yes I've noticed some frame rate issues, but overall so far I've found this to be a great Assassins Creed game.

The fact that you can go inside and outside buildings while running and whatnot with the look that the game has is incredible, and gives me even more hope for next years version of the game.

Hasney

Oh no, I already bought it. I got it at midnight day one. But the question is, can I stop? Can the world stop?

via PS4 Share

Seriously tho, whoever is on the lighting team deserves an Oscar. It's among the most beautiful ever in a game.

Ohhhh, well in that case, I'd still wait it out if you have other things on your plate. Just think that you can experience it at the best it will get after some patches!

EDIT: Reading the post above this one, I really hope there isn't one next year. I mean, I know there will be, but I wish they gave themselves some time to breathe and not set a target of when to get the next one out the door. Just have it be ready when it's ready.

Crossing Eden

via PS4 Share

Animators also deserve a lot of credit.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Wxv_UxUFyA Can't imagine another kiss in games that looked this natural.

RedAssedApe

Banned
I may be among the minority here, but I played a bit last night and got to where you open up co-op missions. That last mission where you
become an assasin and drink the goblet
was freaking incredible graphic wise.

Yes I've noticed some frame rate issues, but overall so far I've found this to be a great Assassins Creed game.

The fact that you can go inside and outside buildings while running and whatnot with the look that the game has is incredible, and gives me even more hope for next years version of the game.

naw i think most of the people posting in the OT are enjoying the game or at least more tempered. its the 5-6 other ass threads where people gone crazy ;)

Damerman

Animators also deserve a lot of credit.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Wxv_UxUFyA Can't imagine another kiss in games that looked this natural.

animations are great, but man the VOs a 100X better in french.

They need to cut the NPC's down. That many is seriously not needed. It only makes the game run worse..And walking through crowds suck. You bump into everyone and can't just push them out the way like in older AC games. Whats up with that?

agreed... they need to patch it to have less... its unnecessary and distracts more than it immerses with the terrible LOD on them.

Top Bottom