• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed Unity |OT| Liberté, égalité, parité

DOWN

Banned
That crowd density. Well played Ubisoft.
The framerate tanks.
This image would be cool if it didn't piss me off as a symbol of incompetent development. They clearly had room to shrink the crowd by dozens and dozens without it even being remotely obvious or affecting atmosphere. This crowd is like they not only wanted the biggest, but they just didn't even realize when they passed the ceiling for reasonably impressive.

fire-hose-o.gif

Its a shame because there is a beautful and super deep game behind all of the technical disasters. I feel like if the framerate was a stable 30 and some of the more heinous glitches were gone, this game would have scored 9+. It has the deepest character customization of any AC game by far, story so far is the best in the series, voice acting is superb, and the architecture is downright breathtaking.

Maybe a patch down the road that improves stability and performance will let this game shine (doubtful)

This has turned into a disaster. They spent what 4 years on the game? They needed another 3-6 months I think. PS4 runs terrible, its just not retail quality IMO. Xbox One version is fast enough that it actually feels like a final game.

They put co-op in the game for the first time, but instead of positive word of mouth getting people to recommend their friends buy the game its the oppsosite. I recommended my friends not buy this game, and feedback from them is basically just laughing from the gifs they have seen.

You can tell this was a very expensive game to make, the world is enormous and so detailed its ridiculous. A lot of people on the team did an amazing job, but they were let down IMO by upper management who just wouldnt ok the game being delayed. The PS4 version is plain unplayable IMO for a full price retail release. Xbox version at least runs smooth enough to be playable.

Beyond the technical issues they have a lot of bugs to fix beyond these hilarious images/gifs/youtube videos. I am constantly getting hung up on buildings and fighting controls turning traversal into a chore, which is quite a reversal since playing Sunset Overdrive. There are little things too, like why would I want to drop down from a high perch RIGHT NEXT TO A HAY CART when I have no-alert status and guards are nearby. Makes no sense, do what shadow mordor does and show me icon of where I land so I always hit a hay cart.

Chabbles

That's a bit over the top. Unity is definitely playable and not stuck with the game breaking bugs or servers of BF4.

If you dont think what that vid shows is a game breaking bug, idk what to tell ya, not to even mention stuff like falling through the ground into the unknown.. but yeah, calling BF4 (at release) a work of art (compared to this) is exaggerating a bit..

This has turned into a disaster. They spent what 4 years on the game? They needed another 3-6 months I think. PS4 runs terrible, its just not retail quality IMO. Xbox One version is fast enough that it actually feels like a final game.

They put co-op in the game for the first time, but instead of positive word of mouth getting people to recommend their friends buy the game its the oppsosite. I recommended my friends not buy this game, and feedback from them is basically just laughing from the gifs they have seen.

You can tell this was a very expensive game to make, the world is enormous and so detailed its ridiculous. A lot of people on the team did an amazing job, but they were let down IMO by upper management who just wouldnt ok the game being delayed. The PS4 version is plain unplayable IMO for a full price retail release. Xbox version at least runs smooth enough to be playable.

Beyond the technical issues they have a lot of bugs to fix beyond these hilarious images/gifs/youtube videos. I am constantly getting hung up on buildings and fighting controls turning traversal into a chore, which is quite a reversal since playing Sunset Overdrive. There are little things too, like why would I want to drop down from a high perch RIGHT NEXT TO A HAY CART when I have no-alert status and guards are nearby. Makes no sense, do what shadow mordor does and show me icon of where I land so I always hit a hay cart.

Now come on the game is crazy bugged /unrefined but "unplayable on PS4" is untrue. You can play and enjoy it fine. Just not as much as you should because the core gameplay is better than ever

This image would be cool if it didn't piss me off as a symbol of incompetent development. They clearly had room to shrink the crowd by dozens and dozens without it even being remotely obvious or affecting atmosphere. This crowd is like they not only wanted the biggest, but they just didn't even realize when they passed the ceiling for reasonably impressive.

fire-hose-o.gif

Thing is though that the frame rate is terrible even in the opening section with just a few enemies, a very simple environment and no NPC's.

There is something wrong thats beyond a simple fix I think (even though you would think it would be easy, like just have less NPC's)

The NPC's are kind of ridiculous anyway. the pop in is extremely noticeable and the fact they so many people are wearing identical clothes. Eg if its blue clothing its exactly the same color of blue as everyone else. System needed more work, its impressive the number of NPC that can be in the game but its kinda moot because they look janky.

Now come on the game is crazy bugged /unrefined but "unplayable on PS4" is untrue. You can play and enjoy it fine. Just not as much as you should because the core gameplay is better than ever

I disagree on PS4, I dont think its a $60 game. Why buy it when I shadow of mordor plays better and has none of the issues.

DOWN

Banned
If you dont think what that vid shows is a game breaking bug, idk what to tell ya, not to even mention stuff like falling through the ground into the unknown.. but yeah, calling BF4 (at release) a work of art (compared to this) is exaggerating a bit..
A game breaking bug is one that renders a play through or mode unplayable in its intended fashion without any opportunities to troubleshoot it on the player's end.

BF4 had save corruptions and busted servers. Those are game breaking.

There's nothing reported for unity yet that can't be played through just about fine in the bulk of main content, especially with a reload.

even if they add a character creator..?

ziNw87M.gif

you know what Ubisoft is thinking..

ITfgPiZ.gif

Oh man, this game literally has given me more enjoyment seeing the images and gifs than the game itself. I also got to share the fun with my wife (who doesnt like video games, probably thinks they are stupid but is too polite to tell me to my face). She found the images hilarious, especially of undead Else.

Chabbles

A game breaking bug is one that renders a play through or mode unplayable in its intended fashion without any opportunities to troubleshoot it on the player's end.

BF4 had save corruptions and busted servers. Those are game breaking.

There's nothing reported for unity yet that can't be played through just about fine in the bulk of main content, especially with a reload.

Indeed.

So much freaking out from people lately, it's like no one plays games anymore..

AC4 ran like shit on my PC when I first got it, until maybe like the 3rd patch. Try to chill if framerates and random bugs bother you this much (if you bought the game). If you didn't buy it and that stuff bothers you that much, buy something else?

Anyway, got to play more last night and I've decided to stop going stealth as much, even though I had some good silent takedowns and chery bomb distractions last night. It's a lot more fun running in and spearing dudes to death lol. Kinda wish they kept in fist fighting tho.. Used to be pretty fun testing myself by boxing dudes who had swords lol.

Ricker

I've set up a social club for Gaffers on the PC. Name is Neogaf. Just send me a friend request either on Uplay or here at GAF via pm (my Uplay nick is luxarific) and I'll add you when I get back from work (around 8 PM EST). If you've already sent me a pm or added me on Uplay, I've sent you an invite to the club (you can't invite people to the club without them also being a friend on Uplay - dumb design, but that's Ubi for you).

I ''postulated'' last night when I reached the cafe... (oh so the request I sent in game wont work? I dont even know my UPlay ID by heart lol,i'll check later) Ravenden is my PSN ID.

AC4 ran like shit on my PC when I first got it, until maybe like the 3rd patch. Try to chill if framerates and random bugs bother you this much (if you bought the game). If you didn't buy it and that stuff bothers you that much, buy something else?

Anyway, got to play more last night and I've decided to stop going stealth as much, even though I had some good silent takedowns and chery bomb distractions last night. It's a lot more fun running in and spearing dudes to death lol. Kinda wish they kept in fist fighting tho.. Used to be pretty fun testing myself by boxing dudes who had swords lol.

Doesn't it bother you that games are increasingly being released in an unfinished state?

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
I'm really stuck in 2 minds about this, I can't decide whether or not to get it on PS4 when it releases tomorrow. On one hand I have played and loved every AC (except Revelations) and I really like the ongoing story. On the other hand I just don't know how much the framerate is going to annoy me and I don't want to support Ubisoft's anti-consumer practices right now.

Depends on platform - on PS4, its just too poor performance to be worth buying with so many other games worth your money (eg shadow of mordor. and if you want AC4, its a better game and looks stunning on PS4)

On xbox one the framerate is at least good enough to be playable without pissing you off since its a 25-30% kind of boost.

Presumably a good PC also runs it at a good framerate.

Lakitu

st5fu
I'm downloading the update, usually an 800mb file would be done within 5 or so minutes, but ever since the software update it's taking much longer than usual. Anyone experiencing this?

I'm really stuck in 2 minds about this, I can't decide whether or not to get it on PS4 when it releases tomorrow. On one hand I have played and loved every AC (except Revelations) and I really like the ongoing story. On the other hand I just don't know how much the framerate is going to annoy me and I don't want to support Ubisoft's anti-consumer practices right now.

Wait for a patch IMO, too many other good games to buy this and get mad at how poor it runs. If it gets patched to a playable framerate like xbox one then it could be worth buying (I think AC4 is a better game even though Unity is a far more ambitious game)

Well I'm done with the "companion app". Was having a decent time with it so I spent the extra 1.99 to get the additional exclusive assassins. Had 8 assassins now uplay randomly kicked me out and when I log back in I've mysteriously lost 5 assassins including one of the "exclusive" ones I paid 1.99 for.

Wasn't pissed at the game, but now I am. Thanks UBI.

Well I'm done with the "companion app". Was having a decent time with it so I spent the extra 1.99 to get the additional exclusive assassins. Had 8 assassins now uplay randomly kicked me out and when I log back in I've mysteriously lost 5 assassins including one of the "exclusive" ones I paid 1.99 for.

Wasn't pissed at the game, but now I am. Thanks UBI.

I really dont get why they charged for the app. All they are doing is just constantly pissing off players who are seeing blue chests in the game - its as annoying as an advertisement, worse in the sense that its permanent. For the sake of a $2 app, I am constantly reminded that my $60 game isnt complete. At least normally the BS price:benefit ratio of content like a season pass is just announced on startup and then can be ignored,

I dont want the app even if its free, The idea of putting my controller down and using another device for something as basic as a chest seems stupid to me.

Carbonox

Can someone explain to me how these blue chests and the application work? The game is out tomorrow in the UK which is when it gets delivered to me so knowing all of this in advance would be useful.

So no real issues with the game after picking it up yesterday night for PS4. I mean there is the occasional framerate dip, but come on, I knew about this.

The big thing that bothers me is they said they improved gameplay???

Combat seems tedious and not fun and traversing is more of a pain in the ass in this game that the others. I mean I love that they added the traverse down but the flow of following people sucks major donkey balls. It's worse IMO!

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
Wait for a patch IMO, too many other good games to buy this and get mad at how poor it runs. If it gets patched to a playable framerate like xbox one then it could be worth buying (I think AC4 is a better game even though Unity is a far more ambitious game)

Yea, thanks. I think I'll just wait to see if they bother finishing the game at some point. Do Ubisoft have any history of fixing performance issues post-release?

eso76

That crowd density. Well played Ubisoft.
The framerate tanks.

PC ?

not that it matters

Anyway, i'm buying the game tomorrow and I SURELY HOPE i run into those and more glitches. For some reason i always miss them, never seen my GTA or Elder's Scroll glitch on me, not even once. : (

I really dont get why they charged for the app. All they are doing is just constantly pissing off players who are seeing blue chests in the game - its as annoying as an advertisement, worse in the sense that its permanent. For the sake of a $2 app, I am constantly reminded that my $60 game isnt complete. At least normally the BS price:benefit ratio of content like a season pass is just announced on startup and then can be ignored,

I dont want the app even if its free, The idea of putting my controller down and using another device for something as basic as a chest seems stupid to me.

The thing is the app was free. I downloaded it because I wanted to get access to all those chests that were locked to me. Started playing the app, and actually enjoying it. Kind of combined the glyph puzzles from previous games and the assassin missions "mini game" from previous entries as well. I was having fun so I gave Ubi the extra $2 for the premium content. My reward is to get screwed out of the progress I had made and the content I had just purchased.

I don't understand... I was satisfied with what I had received from Ubi. I was not trolling the game, I could live with its imperfections. Now, Ubi has turned a player like me, which they have precious few of right now, into another pissed off customer.

GG UBI.

Altima

This thread is quite slow for OFT of pseudo-AAA game.

Seem like many people cancel their preorder.

(I would cancel mine as well if I live in Europe.)

Yea, thanks. I think I'll just wait to see if they bother finishing the game at some point. Do Ubisoft have any history of fixing performance issues post-release?

With AC4 they did a fantastic job, went from 900p to 1080p + AA.

This game has a lot of potential, it just runs terribly on PS4 right now and there are too many other games that are worth your money to put up with it.

The people who created content did an amazing job, it just doesnt feel like a finished polished game on ps4. Its probably the same state GTA V was in when they got their long delay. Upper management at ubisoft forced the game out before its ready.

If you want an AC get AC4, mordor or even rogue. Its not worth paying money for it before they patch the PS4 performance IMO.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
I ''postulated'' last night when I reached the cafe... (oh so the request I sent in game wont work? I dont even know my UPlay ID by heart lol,i'll check later) Ravenden is my PSN ID.

Don't think I can add people with a PSN ID. Just pm me your Uplay nick here later or send me a friend request on Uplay when you start up the PC version of the game (my Uplay nick is luxarific).

ZeroX03

Banned
PC ?

not that it matters

Anyway, i'm buying the game tomorrow and I SURELY HOPE i run into those and more glitches. For some reason i always miss them, never seen my GTA or Elder's Scroll glitch on me, not even once. : (

Nay, PS4. In stills the game looks fantastic. On the other hand, I've reached Sequence 12 and my framerate is hitching constantly now.

I actually had a really funny glitch happen to me today, I didn't have my capture device in so it's only recorded through share but I'll chuck it up anyway.

These Uplay chests are pissing me off. Do you actually get anything decent from them? Playing a companion app is the last thing I want to do when I'm running around in an actual game on my computer....

leazo

Banned
What does this game run like for people that do have high end rigs?

Mainly thinking about 1440p and a 4790k/780ti SLI but have not bought it yet.

Mendax

These Uplay chests are pissing me off. Do you actually get anything decent from them? Playing a companion app is the last thing I want to do when I'm running around in an actual game on my computer....

one of the legacy outfits is from the companion app and some gear and a lot of cash. Don't bother with them if you don't want to

DOWN

Banned
Okay? The vid and the part bolded are just bugs...

You can encounter them, but you aren't stuck with qny particular one and can reload or walk away to troubleshoot. Those are plain bugs. Game breaking literally means your game is broken and there's no user workaround. It does not mean you've encountered bugs just generally.

Most commonly people are just getting frame rate and pop in issues.

Namikaze1

Is there a GAF club on PS4? I would really like to do some coop with gaffers since I don't have that many friends playing the game. Out of the 200 something on my friend list, only 4 are playing the game.

If anyone wants to play coop some times, just add me. PSN is namikaze1.

fernoca

Depends on platform - on PS4, its just too poor performance to be worth buying with so many other games worth your money (eg shadow of mordor. and if you want AC4, its a better game and looks stunning on PS4)

On xbox one the framerate is at least good enough to be playable without pissing you off since its a 25-30% kind of boost.

Presumably a good PC also runs it at a good framerate.
The thing is that the Xbox One "having better performance" is something that is now been thrown around, after the Digital Foundry article. Before that, many assumed the XO version had problems because of the videos and streams.

Heck, a few including myself with the PS4 version haven't experienced any problems.

But, that's the "magic" of the AC games since the first one. It doesn't excuse them, it doesn't mean the problems aren't there; on the contrary. But glitches, bug and many other problems has been common for this franchise since day one (especially I, II and III...even the Vita game). Yet, after all this years; now is the time to ignore the game until it's fixed because of the many problems (especially at launch)?

Assassin's Creed has always been a series with a "YMMV" (your mileage may vary) as a hidden subtitle. This new one is a bug/glitch-ridden as a good chunk of the previous ones. Again, it doesn't excuse the problems or Ubisoft as a publisher and developer, but anyone that played at least ACII without worries of it's problems (of which there are tons of compilation videos and screenshots); shouldn't start to be worried now just because of the more vocal outcry.

Of course, people should be better by waiting until either more patches and/or lower prices (or rental, or used copies) if they chose to. But that still won't guarantee that by then, the problems won't be there on your end. Even when many will say "it's fixed". [Ex: After like 6 months (around July this year) I got Battlefield 4 and still got my save erased a few times and constant disconnects, yet most agree that the main problems were fixed.]

But on that same PS4, I've played around 12 hours of Unity, with nothing even close to the videos of the single digits framerate at the church. "YMMV"!!! :p

Of course, it would be nice if Digital Foundry analyzed fully installed digital versions of this. It might explain the lack of problems of some, and maybe the better performance later of others.

EDIT:
Darn, this was way longer than my phone led me. :p

sobaka770

Banned
The thing is the app was free. I downloaded it because I wanted to get access to all those chests that were locked to me. Started playing the app, and actually enjoying it. Kind of combined the glyph puzzles from previous games and the assassin missions "mini game" from previous entries as well. I was having fun so I gave Ubi the extra $2 for the premium content. My reward is to get screwed out of the progress I had made and the content I had just purchased.

I don't understand... I was satisfied with what I had received from Ubi. I was not trolling the game, I could live with its imperfections. Now, Ubi has turned a player like me, which they have precious few of right now, into another pissed off customer.

GG UBI.

I also played with companion app and I think that it's well done. The companion app integrates very nicely (although I think that it would be better to simply gift the in-game rewards to Arno and not tease people with locked blue chests) and is of high-quality for once. I don't think you need to pay 2$ to unlock all of the in-game blue chests. The 2$ only effect on Unity is extra-help with Heatmaps for coop missions.

I'm honestly amazed and disappointed with this game. If they had the presence of mind to give it 3 more month in the oven, at least get the frame rate under control on consoles, this game is the boldest AC ever. So many people worked hard on this game, from the insane models of Notre-Dame and other locations, to the 3D map in the companion app as well as the AC:Initiates portal syncing all of your in-game progress.

Speaking of AC:Initiates, half of the features are not done yet!

This is greed. The top marketing and shareholders wanted two big blockbusters on time for Black Friday and holiday season around the world and so much good work is now tarnished on the web. I wonder how many people actually experienced the no-skin-on-my-face bug.

Krisprolls

Banned
With AC4 they did a fantastic job, went from 900p to 1080p + AA.

They didn't "do a fantastic job" they just forced 900p parity until the reviews, then patched the PS4 version to 1080p. Games don't magically go from 900p to 1080p in one day. PS4 version was always supposed to be 1080p. But that difference probably made MS very unhappy.

It's pretty clear now with Unity Ubi doesn't want the PS4 version to look better, probably for marketing reasons. They're the first dev (and probably the last) to "achieve" an inferior version of a game on a 30 % superior (but similar) platform. They should get a trophy for that. What is sure is they won't get my money.

Catdaddy

I'm more pissed about this "one game" save bullshit that seems to be the trend Watch_Dogs, Alien Isolation (two saves but only one game), and now ACU so far this year.

I've played through other AC games several times, so now I have to switch to a second PSN account to replay. (and no I don't like to replay missions, I'd want to experience the game again).

Other than that, I'm enjoying the game..

The thing is that the Xbox One "having better performance" is something that is now been thrown around, after the Digital Foundry article. Before that, many assumed the XO version had problems because of the videos and streams.

Heck, a few including myself with the PS4 version haven't experienced any problems.

I played both versions, and my findings agree with eurogamer. As of now xbox one is superior since the framerate is noticeably better in gameplay (and the resolution is the same).

However just as eurogamer said, cutscenes are better on PS4. When there isnt much camera movement, it isnt an issue but it is jarring for when its more action packed.

Both need work, the PS4 in particular because they havent optimised to its strengths (eg if the framerate is slower anyway and its CPU bound, couldnt they at least hit 1080p?

rSpooky

I Love the Xbone FUD now being 30% better in performance (it started with 5 fps better in some area's) , Look no matter what system the game has issues that is cleat, but also I ( nor my wife on the same ps4) have not seen the issue in the degree shown here and elsewhere.

So, why that is I do not know, I hope it stays that way though then lucky us ..yay.

I have to agree with poster above(fernoca) YMMV.

nynt9

"just play the game" is tough when the game constantly crashes for me. I have yet to play for an hour straight (looking at my uplay played time when the game crashes) without a crash. And "try to chill if it doesn't work" is just insulting. We paid good money for this game, obviously we expect it to work. The game is borderline unplayable for some.

Your post is just stupid.

Ricker

Don't think I can add people with a PSN ID. Just pm me your Uplay nick here later or send me a friend request on Uplay when you start up the PC version of the game (my Uplay nick is luxarific).

Well it worked,I just checked earlier and I am in the Club,thanks...so it probably does it via UPlay,since I have the PS4 version.

Top Bottom