• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed Unity |OT| Liberté, égalité, parité

ironcreed

Banned
Loving the customization.

10423356_794929297237506_7445993199011269228_n.jpg

I skipped this game after my hype went down and down after each new shit Ubi was pulling. I'm not one of those guys who looks at a game with bad framerate or popping issued and says "I ain't buying that", but with Unity that was just terrible.

But anyways, I ended picking up Mordor (which I'm not 'feeling' at the moment), MCC and CoD just cause my bro wanted that. For those who got AC, are all the issues mentioned like bad framerate, microtransactions and stuff a game breaker? It gives me that look and I reaaally want this to be good.

I skipped this game after my hype went down and down after each new shit Ubi was pulling. I'm not one of those guys who looks at a game with bad framerate or popping issued and says "I ain't buying that", but with Unity that was just terrible.

But anyways, I ended picking up Mordor (which I'm not 'feeling' at the moment), MCC and CoD just cause my bro wanted that. For those who got AC, are all the issues mentioned like bad framerate, microtransactions and stuff a game breaker? It gives me that look and I reaaally want this to be good.
I would wait for a couple of patches. The game is just not fun due to the jankiness and bugs. By then it'll be 40 bucks anyways. Win/win.

Skux

Yay! Preorder code isn't working!

"The code you entered may not be correct or may no longer be valid"
E-8200012F

ironcreed

Banned
thats really cool. I still love the original trailer outfit though... super clean and minimalist.

Yeah, it's really slick. Thankfully there are loads of options to play around with and change things up for whatever you are feeling. Some nice modifiers as well.

I would wait for a couple of patches. The game is just not fun due to the jankiness and bugs. By then it'll be 40 bucks anyways. Win/win.

I think that's a smart move, the game looks like a mess and it's terrible 'cause they were aiming really high on what they promised and failed spectacularly.

I think that's a smart move, the game looks like a mess and it's terrible 'cause they were aiming really high on what they promised and failed spectacularly.
Trust me. I love AC and its one of my favorite series, but this just isn't fun. Sooo buggy it's frustrating to the point that I didn't even want to touch the game today. Going to wait till they announce a patch to continue playing. Story seems good though. I'm at the end of sequence 3. I believe there are 7.

ironcreed

Banned

No regrets here, and I was starting to fear the worst. All I have had are a few minor dips and a couple of places where the framerate just froze and hung up for a split second or two. Other than that it has been more that playable. There is a great game here with plenty to love. No need for the microtransactions, either.

Damerman

microtransactions aren't innately bad... just look at GTA 5. people have a warped view of what they are because of F2P games. Granted some of the MTs(microtransactions) are stupid like the 5 minutes of super power and they are out there to take advantage of people who have poor money management skills(i don't care who you are and how much money you have, there is no reason to participate in this), but they don't get in the way of you and ur gameplay. If anything its a good thing, as ubi have actually made the game challenging so that people who can't be bothered with the challenge can use money to get through the game. MicroTransactions don't get in the way of the content like most F2P games, all those exclusive deals and all those pre order bonuses and all this day one DLC, thats what should be bothering you.

It boggles my mind how as soon as people hear "microtransactions" they lose their shit, but they immediately forgot how much bullshit it is when a developer puts out Horse armor for 10 bucks, or when they put out a map pack containing 2 maps that segment the multiplayer base.

The technical issues are bad, the plethora of DLC that is only there to overwhelm you into buying a season pass to make sure you don't miss anything is bad, but microtransactions that don't get in the way of the content at all are absolutely innocuous.

I'm so torn about this game. Paris looks incredible, I love the customization, and I'm hoping the co-op is good but all the technical issues are scaring me off right now. Those of you who have Unity: I've played every game in the series and the only one I really hated was Revelations, do you think I'll enjoy Unity? How big of an impact are the frame rate issues and glitches having? Is the co-op as seamless as Ubisoft claims?

hydruxo

Trust me. I love AC and its one of my favorite series, but this just isn't fun. Sooo buggy it's frustrating to the point that I didn't even want to touch the game today. Going to wait till they announce a patch to continue playing. Story seems good though. I'm at the end of sequence 3. I believe there are 7.

That's what I was afraid of. I've bought and enjoyed every AC game but I'm just gonna wait for this one to get patched before I play it. Not worth the frustration. My money is going towards Dragon Age Inquisition for now.

ironcreed

Banned
I'm so torn about this game. Paris looks incredible, I love the customization, and I'm hoping the co-op is good but all the technical issues are scaring me off right now. Those of you who have Unity: I've played every game in the series and the only one I really hated was Revelations, do you think I'll enjoy Unity? How big of an impact are the frame rate issues and glitches having? Is the co-op as seamless as Ubisoft claims?

If you could deal with some of the jank in older AC games, then you will be fine here. It is not some broken slidehsow with glitches around every corner, lol. You might run into a spot here and there where the framerate will hang up or dip a bit. Or You might see some odd clipping or character pop in on occasion. But most of the time it plays more than fine. Underneath some warts they have still made improvements everywhere. This is not a bad game.

DOWN

Banned
For those on the fence, as much as this game is truly enchanting me, I find it hard to recommend on consoles in this state. I generally feel like frame rate isn't a huge deal to me and I really enjoyed GTA V and Mass Effect 1 which had infamous below 30 fps issues, but it's just hard in 2014 to not keep noticing it in Unity.

I don't regret my purchase, but I'm noticing that it means so much to me how right they got it creatively, that im actually avoiding completing missions so that I'll get to play them in a better technical state later on. The fact that it is causing me to not want to really see the game yet is really saying something to me.

It's mid to low 20s most of the time with a few really low hiccups on top of that. If you really think you can ignore it, you'll find a playable and gorgeous game. But there's no way to pretend that even if it is playable, the frame rate is not a frequent distraction.

If anyone wants app info:

http://blog.ubi.com/assassins-creed-unity-companion-app-faq/

It doesn't seem to explain when you can do these nomad missions though. Is it like black flag in that they unlock later on when you progress in the campaign?

Nomad missions unlock after u do viewpoints within the game. After u do a viewpoint, a glyph puzzle unlocks in the app, which then leads to missions. They take forever which disappointing. Typical facebook game setup, mission im on right now takes 8 hours.

If you could deal with some of the jank in older AC games, then you will be fine here. It is not some broken slidehsow with glitches around every corner, lol. You might run into a spot here and there where the framerate will hang up or dip a bit. Or You might see some odd clipping or character pop in on occasion. But most of the time it plays more than fine. Underneath some warts they have still made improvements everywhere. This is not a bad game.

Yeah, most of the glitches I've seen are things that I would honestly stop and laugh at, not take to the internet to freak out about. If it's still playable -- especially if Ubisoft does release a patch to fix things up a bit -- then I'm glad to hear that. I was excited to play co-op with my buddies and I'm hoping that aspect of the game is good.

Yeah I wouldn't recommend the game right now either as a huge AC fan who owns all the CEs. There is definitely a core fun game in here, but its just invisible behind a lot of bugs and unpolished features.

There is an overwhelming amount of things in game but its layered in such a way as to be frustrating and confusing rather than flowing well. Certain chests can only be opened after getting enough done in the companion app or ac-initiates. Except ac-initiates is down/unfinished, and they have somehow lost all progression from previous games on it.

The companion app is a 500 meg download, crashes on my tablet all the time, and even when it runs I can't actually seem to do whatever the hell it is I am supposed to do in it (nomad missions are greyed out). Maybe I am not far enough in the story (sequence 3) but how am I supposed to know any of this.

Even core things like combat and running around suffer from a lot of frustration, every AC fan is used to "whoops... I just jumped to my death instead of into that pile of hay" but it seems especially bad in Unity, I can't count the number of times i have died to a gunshot from an attacker I can't see or skirted around an open window desperately trying to climb in but Arno will do everything but that.

They delayed the game a week but it really needed another six months to bake. I'm trading the game in by end of the week, I'd honestly just rather replay AC2 or AC4 right now than this.

Dahbomb

Just beat the game after two days of solid play.

Watching credits now... HOLY FUCKING SHIT AT THE CREDITS!

So many people worked on this it's fucking ridiculous.

Naite

I'm not sure how co-op is like with friends because none of my friends got the game, but playing public seems to be a nightmare right now. It takes forever for someone to join your game, or some random npc pops up in the middle of a mission you're doing and clouds up your hud asking if you want to join their co-op game. Soloing a lot of these missions is a pain as well because enemies are just way too numerous and too tedious to kill (I just wasted my upgrade points on poison bombs and it's barely effective against the tough enemies)

Corpekata

Banned
The companion app is kind of ridiculous. In order to get all of the chests at a single node, you have to complete 3 missions 3 times. Which is okay at the first few, but you'll soon encounter ones with a lowest mission time of 2 hours, and they go up each time. And there are like 60 chests, and the first chest on a node is almost always just some money, you need to get the third chest on the node to get gear. Which means it is going to take FOREVER to get anything decent out of it. Seems like it'd only be worth it if you're the type to beat these types of games over the course of a huge length of time.

No regrets here, and I was starting to fear the worst. All I have had are a few minor dips and a couple of places where the framerate just froze and hung up for a split second or two. Other than that it has been more that playable. There is a great game here with plenty to love. No need for the microtransactions, either.

That's good to hear, my concern with micro was that they were gonna force you to grind so hard it would lose all the fun in playing. Guess it can be a solid holiday pick arpund christmas. Hopefully a patch is on the way.

Corpekata

Banned
That's good to hear, my concern with micro was that they were gonna force you to grind so hard it would lose all the fun in playing. Guess it can be a solid holiday pick arpund christmas. Hopefully a patch is on the way.

The microtransactions are just for the crazy folks that want to skip natural gear progression. There's more than enough options and income for the average player to never even consider them.

mrndkra

Trust me. I love AC and its one of my favorite series, but this just isn't fun. Sooo buggy it's frustrating to the point that I didn't even want to touch the game today. Going to wait till they announce a patch to continue playing. Story seems good though. I'm at the end of sequence 3. I believe there are 7

12 sequences, not 7.

Coflash

It runs at a constant 60FPS at 1440p with GTX980s in SLI and it looks incredible

It's a shame that it sucks technically. The climbing feels floaty and there are always random anomalies in the world that you can spot.

Getting tired of your shit, Ubi.

TriniTrin

war of titties grampa
I'm planning to create a gaf clan for this on xbone. Let me know if you want an invite!

I searched for gaf on clans and nothing came up

I love everything about this game. The amount of content, the customization, the traversal, the scale, the visuals, the music, the story... I can't think of a game I've had more fun with in a few years.

I didn't feel Mordor either, and was a bit confused by all the extreme praise it got.

As for this one, definitely wait. Nobody should have to pay $60 for the state of this game.

Dead

well not really...yet
This is without a doubt the best AC since 2/B imo. It finally captures the flavor from that game that's been missing since. Beautifully crafted city, engaging story characters and presentation so far (at sequence 5) excellent side content, you can actually free run across rooftops with no issues again, etc.

Also they brought back Ezios theme. I've felt that that theme should be the theme for Assassins Creed as a whole and not just Ezios honestly.

dreamfall

7 hours in, and I'm really enjoying myself.

Yep- framerate is shaky. Judder unavoidable. Blue chests refuse to open without this stupid app. 900p, no parity for the PS4, micro transactions- the list in nearly interminable.

And yet- I'm having a blast. Combat is actually difficult- more in a "don't go stupidly charging in or you'll get shot to pieces" kind of way. I find myself running away a lot. I wish there was a way to tell how crazy difficult some of the guards are about to be- I've gotten into skirmishes with level 5 guards that can kill my Arno in one hit. Which is pretty wild. I'm only on Sequence 3, but the narrative has been fun thus far- we need more romance!

And co-op- well... I've played about five missions online. In the beginning, randoms and I have these illustrious plans to approach it stealthily. And then someone gets spotted and all hell breaks loose, and there are enemy weapons floating in the air, or bodies glitching into side walls, or other players stuck in architecture. But when things works, they look so neat. With proper coordination, it could really be something.

The customization is something that I've always wanted more of as an AC fan. I love the switching of gear loudouts, independent combinations of armor that looks neat and weapons- I just wish it wasn't mired in all the microtransaction nonsense. Four currencies? Bah. And what's all this Initiates ish- it almost feels like Social Club (badges for completing the previous titles were a nice touch) but with more restrictions on which chests I can open. It's getting to the point where I see a blue one, and just avoid. Which is kind of sad.

But I'm having fun. As a hardcore AC fan, who has loved bits and pieces of each of these annual iterations, it feels good. There's a lot of annoying technical woes, and it's bloated with sleazy attempts to get you to buy little pieces of content, but there's a beautiful game here.

I didn't feel Mordor either, and was a bit confused by all the extreme praise it got.

As for this one, definitely wait. Nobody should have to pay $60 for the state of this game.

Yeah, I've played around 4-5 hours and I enjoy it, but the combat often reminds me of the Arkham series (which is better), and the mechanics of stealth and the parkour-esque feeling don't ever measure up to AC when it's at its best, the story is weirdly paced, altough the nemesis system is neat indeed.

It's a solid 8, personal opinion of course. My GOTY is still Sunset Overdrive, but still have some pending to play.

Ta, I'll keep an eye out for it. I went ahead with the story, not realising that I'd miss the chance to get the one cockade I was missing.

you can actually just see a black "v" on the map right next to the cafe. If you click square, or x im guessing on xbox, you can just fast travel back and forth. Same goes for going back to Paris, except it will be a "p"

Dahbomb

You don't need to get the Blue and Yellow Chests for the All Chests opened trophy right? Because otherwise I am returning the game tomorrow.

Also I have not been able to do a single co op mission yet. Need to get a GAF group going or something to get shit done.

Top Bottom