• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed Unity |OT| Liberté, égalité, parité

Apparently the game's framerate increases substantially if you play while not connected to the internet. Has anyone tested this? I'm still waiting on my copy to arrive.

Ricker

These Uplay chests are pissing me off. Do you actually get anything decent from them? Playing a companion app is the last thing I want to do when I'm running around in an actual game on my computer....

So far I unlocked 2,so it's the very early chests and just got more money then the usual ones,like 300 a pop and a remedy or whatever...

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Apparently the game's framerate increases substantially if you play while not connected to the internet. Has anyone tested this? I'm still waiting on my copy to arrive.
Was smoother for me during my second play session yesterday.

KorrZ

I've played with the internet disconnected the entire time and my framerate hasn't been nearly as bad as some people have been describing. I'm not sure if it's related though as I've never connected.

Was crashing continually when I first tried to play and disconnecting seemed to correct that.

Carlius

Banned
Game is great and is running great. Nearly everything maxed and running at an average 45 fps on a GTX 670. I'm really enjoying it so far.

And if anyone on PC is interested in co-op, my Uplay handle is IIDeimos.

tell me your secret and options settings pls, my 680 32gb 4790k dips to 1fps literally

zlatko

Banned
I applied to the GAF clan.

PSN ID OutlawOcelot

------------

Having a blast with the game so far to be honest. Still a strong contender for my personal GOTY if the story holds up, and some of the kinks get ironed out.

Skyzard

Banned
Once Paris is unlocked, it starts to get a lot more bumpy - PC.

Up till then I've been mostly really enjoying this. First game I'm really interested in reading quite a few of the extra bits in the database.

stufte

I'm quite a few hours into this game and as annoying as some of the problems can be I'm really enjoying it overall.

Here's a nice LOD glitch I ran into last night:

sFQImqm.jpg

Some purdy (sorry for the shit compression):

and a funny one of an NPC trying to talk to me with his back turned but still trying to keep an eye on me:

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Here is the fucking hilarious glitch I mentioned before. If all of AC Unity's technical issues were this good this would be my favorite game of all time. Mild spoilers, but it's worth it.

Lol, good one. They really sound obnoxious:p

Btw I don't like how they portrayed Napoleon in this game. They should have watched Henry Guillemin's dissertation of him. Also, he has the face of Michelangelo's David, but he wasn't a looker.

The acting is good though, but they could have done better with Napoleon's characterization. I guess it flies over most gamers' heads.

ZeroX03

Banned
I forgot to capture or share it, but there was another one where an old lady NPC just had her face pressed right up against the camera for a two minute cutscene. She did not give a fuck.

"just play the game" is tough when the game constantly crashes for me. I have yet to play for an hour straight (looking at my uplay played time when the game crashes) without a crash. And "try to chill if it doesn't work" is just insulting. We paid good money for this game, obviously we expect it to work. The game is borderline unplayable for some.

Your post is just stupid.

Well you are obviously not the majority of people, I've played for over 12 hours on PS4 without any game breaking bugs or a single crash. Fallen through the floor once, but that seems to be caused by holding parkour down for too long and it hasn't happened since (it also resets in about 10 seconds). All of these games are glitchy, to an extent, Black Flag included, since a lot of dissenters seems to think that game was perfect.

Ah I see I was failing the head mission because I wasnt using the stealth modifier of left trigger. easy to forget since its new in this one

The world is amazing looking for this game, there is some incredible work in the world building. if they released this running smoothly and without glitches (eg I often get stuck attached to an object trying to flee guards shooting me) it would be a great game. (Please lose these stupid blue DLC chest please)

stufte

Well you are obviously not the majority of people, I've played for over 12 hours on PS4 without any game breaking bugs or a single crash. Fallen through the floor once, but that seems to be caused by holding parkour down for too long and it hasn't happened since (it also resets in about 10 seconds). All of these games are glitchy, to an extent, Black Flag included, since a lot of dissenters seems to think that game was perfect.

Yah I've probably had more glitches (so far) from playing Black Flag than I have in this game so far.

gOnjdDb.gif

2rt2SqC.gif

llk2oxvp4ekowm5mndex.gif

I finished my Assassin Initiation and the first mission or two after. No major glitches or frame rate issues for me (the frame rate seems roughly the same as all the other AC games, so it doesn't affect my enjoyment at all). The only glitch I had was that I got hung up while walking along a beam for a few seconds, and then when I was trying to do some sneaking I got stuck on a wall for a couple of seconds.

Man GUI is confusing, so I got the first head in that side mission. But now there arent any green markers on the map, except for another quest. I cant see how to force my map to only show this mission and not any others.

I hate that games no longer come with manuals. It would help with something like this.

How come I can't pull out my Hidden Blades? In the other games, if you press 'Up', the blades emerge from the sleeves. I love just walking around unsheathing and sheathing them. Can't do that no more?

Charles

Has anyone been able to play co-op yet? I start the 'play together' thing then I get stuck forever in the 'please wait' menu.

Also, I haven't been able to redeem my code online. Is anyone else having problems? (PS4 btw)

Nope, unfortunately. I like fighting exclusively with the blade sometimes but oh well.

No more fighting with the blades!?

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO GODDAMN YOU YVES GUILLEMOT

ZeroX03

Banned
How come I can't pull out my Hidden Blades? In the other games, if you press 'Up', the blades emerge from the sleeves. I love just walking around unsheathing and sheathing them. Can't do that no more?

Stealth kills only. No more fist fighting either. Just three different melee weapon types and that's it.

Has anyone been able to play co-op yet? I start the 'play together' thing then I get stuck forever in the 'please wait' menu.

Also, I haven't been able to redeem my code online. Is anyone else having problems? (PS4 btw)

I can play online but my friend is stuck forever on please wait too. He can't join my game either.

shield

So when the game works, is it any good?

My copy is arriving tomorrow and I'm still debating whether to return it and get another game or not

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
This has turned into a disaster. They spent what 4 years on the game? They needed another 3-6 months I think. PS4 runs terrible, its just not retail quality IMO. Xbox One version is fast enough that it actually feels like a final game.
I find them both appalling but, what's fascinating is that they run similarly to Assassin's Creed games on last gen consoles (some of them).

AC1 on PS3, for instance, actually runs much worse than Unity on PS4 while Brotherhood was a choppy, screen tearing mess of a game on both consoles. AC3 was even worse. Oh and Liberation on Vita was bad too.

Unity is a mess but it actually runs better than a number of last gen releases in the franchise. I never found that acceptable in the past and I feel like it's much less acceptable now. I'm just not sure UbiSoft sees these low frame-rates as a problem...

bargeparty

Was smoother for me during my second play session yesterday.

I've played with the internet disconnected the entire time and my framerate hasn't been nearly as bad as some people have been describing. I'm not sure if it's related though as I've never connected.

Was crashing continually when I first tried to play and disconnecting seemed to correct that.

I played from the start without being connected to my internet and it hasn't been that bad. I will try tonight with it back online. I did find in the menu somewhere (under gameplay maybe?) there were options for online stuff, which I also disabled. Wondering if that might help. I have no interest in the companion app or initiates or any of that shit.

Gaz_RB

I love walking around with my gun out, tossing it in the air and scaring NPCs haha
I played from the start without being connected to my internet and it hasn't been that bad. I will try tonight with it back online. I did find in the menu somewhere (under gameplay maybe?) there were options for online stuff, which I also disabled. Wondering if that might help. I have no interest in the companion app or initiates or any of that shit.

I think it does have something to do with online. Sometimes I leave MP missions and my framerate is shit til I restart. Then it's fine.

My copy is arriving tomorrow and I'm still debating whether to return it for another game or not

Its a mixed bag. The gameplay is smoother on Xbox One, the cutscenes on PS4. if you only have a PS4 then I recommend waiting on a patch, since gameplay > cutscenes

there are also some annoying ubisoft open world traits like how there are collectibles every few meters. and the new annoyance of DLC locked items visible on the main HUD

the world itself is incredible looking though, ie Paris and the life within it. The gameplay systems being redone is also a nice change, eg stealth and combat both feel very different in this game - not necessarily everyone's taste, eg combat is MUCH slower than say mordor. personally I like that it feels veyr different from prior games. Being able to navigate down is a big improvement since it prevents being stopped or falling too far.

Interiors are also a very nice change, it makes the world feel a lot more realistic and believable since exploring a town isnt limited to just being outside. Also the interiors for the rich are gorgeous with gold, extravagent painting and rugs etc. Whoever created the environment models and assets did a really good job here. Its not their fault the engine has issues.

its a very ambitous game that really needed to be delayed IMO esp for PS4

Mogwai

Hahah. TotalBiscuit's video totally destroys this game. I'm looking forward to play it on my PS4 tonight.

Lord have mercy!

My copy is arriving tomorrow and I'm still debating whether to return it and get another game or not

If it had a rock-solid 30 FPS framerate and wasn't inundated with micro-transactions and that kind of crap, this is easily Game of the Year. Easily.

They also removed a feature not many people seemed to use or know about but that I loved it, which is holding the attack button while walking/running so it stabs automatically when in range of the target. If you do that here Arno will just draw his weapon, so in order to stab people you have to walk up pretty close to them, which sometimes cause them to notice you (basically because is easy to overshoot and collide with them before pressing the attack button).

I also miss pressing "B" in any direction while in mid-air to grab onto things. They have streamlined the control even further (they were already simplified in ACIV) in this version and makes navigation a bit duller...

ironcreed

Banned
Hahah. TotalBiscuit's video totally destroys this game. I'm looking forward to play it on my PS4 tonight.

Lord have mercy!

Who knows? You might come away surprised that it is not as awful as it is being painted to be. Hell, you might even see that there is a great game here. ;)

Alienous

I'm watching some footage with the French dub ... gosh, it adds to the aesthetic so much. But the lip sync is way off, and that's really well done in the English cutscenes.

God dammit, Ubisoft. French accents at the least.

shield

If it had a rock-solid 30 FPS framerate and wasn't inundated with micro-transactions and that kind of crap, this is easily Game of the Year. Easily.

damn, strong words!

Its a mixed bag. The gameplay is smoother on Xbox One, the cutscenes on PS4. if you only have a PS4 then I recommend waiting on a patch, since gameplay > cutscenes

there are also some annoying ubisoft open world traits like how there are collectibles every few meters. and the new annoyance of DLC locked items visible on the main HUD

the world itself is incredible looking though, ie Paris and the life within it. The gameplay systems being redone is also a nice change, eg stealth and combat both feel very different in this game - not necessarily everyone's taste, eg combat is MUCH slower than say mordor. personally I like that it feels veyr different from prior games. Being able to navigate down is a big improvement since it prevents being stopped or falling too far.

Interiors are also a very nice change, it makes the world feel a lot more realistic and believable since exploring a town isnt limited to just being outside. Also the interiors for the rich are gorgeous with gold, extravagent painting and rugs etc. Whoever created the environment models and assets did a really good job here. Its not their fault the engine has issues.

its a very ambitous game that really needed to be delayed IMO esp for PS4

Interesting, I have it pre ordered for PS4 so I might have to wait for a patch.

I'll see how I'm feeling when it arrives tomorrow. Thanks for the impressions, guys

FWIW, initiates and app chests don't counf toward completion. I wish they had a setting to turn them off, like Black Flag did with social events.

I find them both appalling but, what's fascinating is that they run similarly to Assassin's Creed games on last gen consoles (some of them).

AC1 on PS3, for instance, actually runs much worse than Unity on PS4 while Brotherhood was a choppy, screen tearing mess of a game on both consoles. AC3 was even worse. Oh and Liberation on Vita was bad too.

Unity is a mess but it actually runs better than a number of last gen releases in the franchise. I never found that acceptable in the past and I feel like it's much less acceptable now. I'm just not sure UbiSoft sees these low frame-rates as a problem...
I'd argue the bad framerate had a lesser impact on gameplay in last gen iterations. Playing on PS4, there are a number of times where I found myself not knowing if input had registered, typically with smoke bombs. I don't remember that happening on 360.

But yeah, I can somehow see how Ubi deemed it an acceptable performance/bells and whistles trade off, given the stellar sales of previous console games that had a totally shit framerate (AC3 and FC3 come to mind).

As I said earlier, the really jarring parts are the setpieces.

Edit because it should be posted on every page: holding R3 disables the HUD in one click. That's an actually good feature.

Top Bottom