• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed Unity |OT| Liberté, égalité, parité

The wasted potential of the modern day story just still really galls me, because until III, I was genuinely interested in it.

Daniel Cross: Wasted - He was a fascinating character that they did nothing with and then just killed him off without even giving him a fucking Confessional.
Lucy and her murder: Wasted - WHY DID WE KILL HER. She was an Assassin that became a Templar fake who was really a Templar, but it screamed of just trying to fire Kristen Bell
Desmond in the Animus Black Room: Wasted - The GI article implied that it would be like a lost city in Desmond's mind, but it really... wasn't. It was lame. I wanted to see PURGATORY. A city made of broken memory fragments scattered across time. The concept art made me think it'd be a virtual city, not fucking a three square meter island with some Stonehenge bullshit.
Subject 16: Wasted - They could have done so much more with him.
Cesare in the orange: Wasted - What was up with his weird-ass death!?
Ezio's final words to Desmond: Wasted - This is the biggest one to me. What did he whisper in Desmond's ear?! They just jettisoned the entire climax of Revelations
Desmond's bizarre choice: Wasted - Didn't even bother to think of a third option
Adam and Eve: Wasted. There could have been more here.

GOD FUCKING DAMN IT, I could have written a better narrative for the modern day stuff than Ubi could with a million years on their hands.

DOWN

Banned
Via PS4 Share
15760743756_1011fb1060_o.jpg

15786002892_8eb2c05813_o.jpg

15164482284_64ccbcd24b_o.jpg

15599268687_0e4816b50e_o.jpg

15599013958_de14ea2d2a_o.jpg

15782560271_dc07eaf0d8_o.jpg

15599013858_659312bd00_o.jpg

15782560091_bd9762ebf3_o.jpg

15782560311_2bf6d2f637_o.jpg

15784428595_329f97dc82_o.jpg

Messiek

The wasted potential of the modern day story just still really galls me, because until III, I was genuinely interested in it.

Daniel Cross: Wasted - He was a fascinating character that they did nothing with and then just killed him off without even giving him a fucking Confessional.
Lucy and her murder: Wasted - WHY DID WE KILL HER. She was an Assassin that became a Templar fake who was really a Templar, but it screamed of just trying to fire Kristen Bell
Desmond in the Animus Black Room: Wasted - The GI article implied that it would be like a lost city in Desmond's mind, but it really... wasn't. It was lame. I wanted to see PURGATORY. A city made of broken memory fragments scattered across time. The concept art made me think it'd be a virtual city, not fucking a three square meter island with some Stonehenge bullshit.
Ezio's final words to Desmond: Wasted - This is the biggest one to me. What did he whisper in Desmond's ear?! They just jettisoned the entire climax of Revelations
Desmond's bizarre choice: Wasted - Didn't even bother to think of a third option

GOD FUCKING DAMN IT, I could have written a better narrative for the modern day stuff than Ubi could with a million years on their hands.

Yeah. It seems like they put a lot of stuff in and clearly had no idea how to manage them.
The way the game is produced makes 'a little' difficult to set a good timeline using all the assets they once introduced, which is kinda sad. The lore is so good, I wish we knew more.

Skux

Ah shit, that just brought back a whole lot of disappointment. I loved the ridiculous alternate history animus stuff in AC2, it helped frame the eternal conflict between the Assassins and Templars. But then it just went nowhere, and the modern day characters were just boring and a wasted opportunity.

GOD FUCKING DAMN IT indeed. Now I'm sitting here thinking of ways to reboot the series...

blackflag

I've seen a few bugs in this game like everyone else. Right now I was just having a grand time exploring Paris and climbing viewpoints When everything froze but I still had full camera control and could use menus. It was actually kinda cool. Wish I could do it at will.

http://youtu.be/JMOWecPW_pM

I also added some of you PC guys on Uplay. My ID is Redsox47. Might not play again tonight but definitely would like to give co-op a try with people because I haven't done any of it yet.

That happened to me today and then when I minimized it (XBone) it hard locked the console.

DOWN

Banned

Lots of blown opportunities on their part.

Will I ever get to play some compelling, cold conspiracy plotting again? I miss finding out how Abstergo worked in terms of Assassin's vs Templars. It was cool before they made it so you were just another employee who had no clue what the plot was and thus they don't explain anything anymore. I want them to let us play as Rebecca or something and keep the Assassin's fleeing and infiltrating Abstergo for us to actually see.

Great shots. This game can sometimes look AMAZING. But unfortunately, it has the bad performance and bugs, it's pretty blurry, and it also seems to be completely missing motion blur, weirdly enough; even camera-based.

Well I think they've always avoided blur, which looked fine to me, and the blur is not so severe when you are playing directly on the TV. Plus you can up the TV's sharpness some.

What I wanted for the modern day portion of AC4 was Desmond to wake up in a fractured purgatorial city created from the memory fragments of a thousand ancestors. Various architecture from history, various villains, all cobbled together in a nightmarish city inside his subconscious. Then he'd have to figure out a way out of the city and it'd be like climbing out of the pit in TDKR in tone.

All his enemies and allies would be there, like a version of them filtered through the Animus. Daniel Cross, Lucy, Clay, etc. A corrupted Animus Cesare could be the villain in the modern day. And the twist was that Ezio and Desmonds plan involved Desmond coming to this cosmic nightmare waiting room.

I agree with you, though I actually find the modern day stories they tell via Assassin's Creed: Initiates much more interesting than anything they've ever put into the main games. I am sad we don't get to play those instead.

Leeness

Agreed, though I'm kind of hoping it will come to the foreground again eventually? Please? :(

I actually think the whole "evil video game Abstergo" thing is super adorable lol. And I really want Juno to finally gain a body and ~enslave humanity~. I think once Juno becomes the foreground villain in the present day stuff, things could really pick up. I also like that Rebecca and Shaun are still around. I'm hoping one day, "we" (as I think they're obviously talking to "us" now in Unity based on the beginning of the game) will join with Rebecca and Shaun and maybe Desmond's dad? I don't know lol. But I was conspiracy stuff to come back more.

Skux

I agree with you, though I actually find the modern day stories they tell via Initiates much more interesting than anything they've ever put into the main games. I am sad we don't get to play those instead.

Where is this? Was it before they turned AC Initiates into the achivement thingy?

DOWN

Banned
What I wanted for the modern day portion of AC4 was Desmond to wake up in a fractured purgatorial city created from the memory fragments of a thousand ancestors. Various architecture from history, various villains, all cobbled together in a nightmarish city inside his subconscious. Then he'd have to figure out a way out of the city and it'd be like climbing out of the pit in TDKR in tone.

All his enemies and allies would be there, like a version of them filtered through the Animus. Daniel Cross, Lucy, Clay, etc. A corrupted Animus Cesare could be the villain in the modern day. And the twist was that Ezio and Desmonds plan involved Desmond coming to this cosmic nightmare waiting room.

The one thing I thought was good in AC4's modern scenes was the documents and diaries Abstergo had in their systems. Finding out that Subject 17 Desmond was now being called
Sample 17 because they cut him up and stored the DNA
and hearing all of the audio from Desmond was really atmospheric.

The Lamp

Friend came over. Said his roommate got this game and that it's absolutely beautiful, looks so "next gen", didn't notice any performance issues.

Is the general public really that easily impressed by graphics?

I mean the game looks nice in stills but when it's running.... Ehhhh....

Aces&Eights

So this first post-release patch fixes... micro transactions:

neogaf gonna skin Ubisoft alive

For fucks sake! The first thing they fix is the ability to get more money from us? That is their top priority? That the in game cash transactions were not working?

FUCK!

Aces&Eights

If you are trying to say you are a credible insider, message a mod and have them verify your credibility.

Agreed. Emotions are too high to have someone trolling that they "know things". I'm sure Bishs radar is going off so we should be seeing him in a few lol.

QUOTE=Boogz;138791467]already did :)

sorry for double post :([/QUOTE]

Alright then spill it please. Can't just dangle a carrot like that.

ZeroX03

Banned
Nearly finished the game. Lots of small things bug me. Like for whatever reasons double assassinations - which you have to unlock - seem to be way more inconsistent and really strict on positioning? Why would they do that? Silly Ubisoft.

DOWN

Banned
Nearly finished the game. Lots of small things bug me. Like for whatever reasons double assassinations - which you have to unlock - seem to be way more inconsistent and really strict on positioning? Why would they do that? Silly Ubisoft.

Especially strange since double Assassinations are more like just two single assassinations strung together... (which does look awesome)

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
Agreed, though I'm kind of hoping it will come to the foreground again eventually? Please? :(

I actually think the whole "evil video game Abstergo" thing is super adorable lol. And I really want Juno to finally gain a body and ~enslave humanity~. I think once Juno becomes the foreground villain in the present day stuff, things could really pick up. I also like that Rebecca and Shaun are still around. I'm hoping one day, "we" (as I think they're obviously talking to "us" now in Unity based on the beginning of the game) will join with Rebecca and Shaun and maybe Desmond's dad? I don't know lol. But I was conspiracy stuff to come back more.

That will be the next game. They like to do 1 main game, two side games. This time it's technically three.

Where is this? Was it before they turned AC Initiates into the achivement thingy?

I never personally engaged with it and only followed the story via the AC wiki, but it often provided reports and documentations about modern day Assassin-Templar struggle before it was closed down this June. I hope they'd still continue doing that.

For fucks sake! The first thing they fix is the ability to get more money from us? That is their top priority? That the in game cash transactions were not working?
There were people who bought Helix Points and didn't get them. I'd say making a fix for that a priority is logical.

DOWN

Banned
Some nice shots (lurking the thread pretty hard). I guess you can turn off all of the hud stuff?

Almost. Waypoints, enemy health, and then nearby points of interest will still show, but they aren't all over the place so you can get a clear screen much of the time.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
The idea is great, but the execution has been botched every single time and now it feels like they've all but thrown out the concept. All it does now is inform the UI design. I think the modern day "end of the world" story was a bad idea from the very start as it forced the story into a climax which had to be delayed again and again by AC2 sequels and lost all its forward drive. It would have been much better to keep the modern story open-ended, for example have each game focus on a handful of Pieces of Eden - basically a sci-fi version of Uncharted where you go digging through the past via genetic memory to help you recover treasures and keep them from the Templars.

AC1 had the best implementation of the animus. It really left like you were wandering through a simulation of someone else's memories and all the "gamey" elements like invisible walls, life bars, everyone speaking English in the Middle East, and time skips were accounted for in the lore of the animus. All of these have become lost as the game moved to a more open world setting and fell back on traditional mechanics like health bars.

100% agree, and heck the Assassins should just gather ancient artifacts without even understanding what they do, and you only find out when seeing what happened in the past, and then just keep them out of the Templar's hands or maybe even destroy them.

And I agree about AC1. I loved how you actually had the Animus in front of your eyes in first-person view. I think that's how it should be in terms of menu or title screen, just lose focus on the memory when accessing the menu and you'd see the Animus in front of your eyes with all the UI stuff, then it focuses back on the memory.

Yeah, it would be nice to have a photo mode like Infamous and tlou had.
Although, Ubisoft is like : "That photo mode we added is perfect. Perfect just like the whole game."

Which one? There isn't any, sadly.

TriniTrin

war of titties grampa
Just a reminder we got an xbox one club for this! Search NeoGAF and you can join I think. If not lemme know and I'll send you an invite.

ufo8mycat

Friend came over. Said his roommate got this game and that it's absolutely beautiful, looks so "next gen", didn't notice any performance issues.

Is the general public really that easily impressed by graphics?

I mean the game looks nice in stills but when it's running.... Ehhhh....

Well everyone has different sensitivity levels when it comes to framerates

As far as the actual graphics - I think its absolutely stunning. Looks like looking at a piece of art at times and when you get the correct lighting in the game and angle, it can look really photo-realistic.

Top Bottom