• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed Unity |OT| Liberté, égalité, parité

DOWN

Banned
It's seriously messing with my anxiety that the PS4 version is worse. Like how did they manage that? I don't want any multiplatform Xbox One titles so I'm stuck uncomfortable ugh.

I picked up my copy from EB (Canada's Gamestop) and the pre-order DLC was at the bottom of the receipt. I assume that's the Chemical Revolution. Is the Razor Head Spear part of that single code or was that separate?

Fee

After messing around with the smart glass app some, I found myself asking why it exists. Is the whole reason for having it just to have a opportunity to sell you things when you arnt in front of your console?

For all its problems, I'll say this.
I really like France.
And I really like Arno. I thought he'd be an Ezio knockoff from the early stages, but he's really, really empathetic. Playing with French voice though, so I have no idea how he comes off in English.

He comes off as a little smarmy but likable, until the reality of his situation kicks him in the teeth.

But I really like Arno. So far, he's easily got the potential to match Ezio, who was my favorite AC protagonist to date.

*You're

And you're ridiculous.

tumblr_lr53eupmRK1qh59n0o1_r1_500.gif

He comes off as a little smarmy but likable, until the reality of his situation kicks him in the teeth.

But I really like Arno. So far, he's easily got the potential to match Ezio, who was my favorite AC protagonist to date.

I don't like his face. But I really like the tragically background that tears
him and the girl apart
. I like how classical it is. Ezio's family is not that interesting (it's a me, uncle mario!)

Paris is hands down my most favorite setting out of all AC games.

DOWN

Banned
What do you mean by worse? Like the Xbone's version is a few FPS more than PS4s?
Yes, and somehow has zero advantages visually. The first retail multiplatform game to end up with visual parity this gem AND actually slightly worse performance.

How do all of Ubisoft's games so far end up better looking on PS4 and then for Unity they claim they want to avoid debates, backtrack and say they used all the power, and then we wind up with what sure looks like they aimed at parity and didn't uae one bit of PS4's advantages?

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Yes, and somehow has zero advantages visually. The first retail multiplatform game to end up with visual parity this gem AND actually slightly worse performance.

How do all of Ubisoft's games so far end up better looking on PS4 and then for Unity they claim they want to avoid debates, backtrack and say they used all the power, and then we wind up with what sure looks like they aimed at parity and didn't uae one bit of PS4's advantages?

Cinematics run better on PS4, so how do you explain that? A conspiracy too?

Anyway I recommend people who do have issues play offline to see if it helps, seems some people report it plays better offline. There seems to be different issues because some seem consistent for everyone, others seem very random, so I guess the later might be network-related.

DOWN

Banned

Anyway I recommend people who do have issues play offline to see if it helps, seems some people report it plays better offline. There seems to be different issues because some seem consistent for everyone, others seem very random, so I guess the later might be network-related.

I appreciate the cutscene thing, but that's just almost nothing in the grand scheme. That's like 1% of my time with the game.

But really we know PS4 should have had higher resolution and there should have been some effects and assets that were higher resolution. There's just nothing to explain why it looks like a dead exact copy of the XB1 version in every way, yet both have rough frame rate and PS4 is the worst of all somehow. How the hell did PS4, the one that has always performed better and has a bigger audience so Ubi should have been avoiding backlash from them instead of avoiding debates, somehow ends up with the worst version of Unity?

Muffdraul

I have shitty U-verse, maybe that's helping me avoid glitches...

DryvBy

This game manages to look beautiful and completely ugly at the same time. The lighting and architecture look great. Sometimes the character models (main) look really good, and then they start to look like blurred trash. Especially the HUD. It looks like a HUD from an emulated PS1/N64 game when you stretch it to 1080p. It's just a pixel mess.

The gouraud shading is a disaster. It's actually worse than the texture pop-ins (which is all over the place). When you can just watch character models lose polygon counts, that's just a bit too ugly.

But overall, the framerate hasn't been worse than I remember previous Creed games aside from PS4's Black Flag. That ran smooth as butter! It seems to be a steady "cinematic" 25 fps that climbs to 30fps randomly. Unacceptable, but playable. Maybe they'll get another 880MB patch out so I can fill that 500GB up even more and make it run 30fps. But honestly, I'm hoping they fix that stupid polygon popping more than anything. And textures. They're more distracting than your guy being less responsive when you drop frames!

I'm hoping I get to some good screenshot worthy skeleton glitches though. It's what my wife really was hoping to see tonight.

I appreciate the cutscene thing, but that's just almost nothing in the grand scheme. That's like 1% of my time with the game.

But really we know PS4 should have had higher resolution and there should have been some effects and assets that were higher resolution. There's just nothing to explain why it looks like a dead exact copy of the XB1 version in every way, yet both have rough frame rate and PS4 is the worst of all somehow. How the hell did PS4, the one that has always performed better and has a bigger audience so Ubi should have been avoiding backlash from them instead of avoiding debates, somehow ends up with the worst version of Unity?

Yves was drunk and horny and mistakes were made.

Syrus

Banned
OMG! Wow.

I went to amazon support and asked about refund policy for games that are unbearable to play at launch.

The person gave me a full refund and didn't ask me to ship the game back.

heres the email I got after talking

Hello, Brandon

I'm sorry to hear about the problem you've had with your Assassin's Creed Unity Xbox One.

On this occasion, we don't require you to return the original. You're welcome to keep, donate or dispose of it - whichever option is most appropriate and convenient for you.

I've requested a refund for 50.89 USD, which includes the cost of the item and its associated shipping costs. This refund will go through within the next 3-5 business days and will appear as a credit on your billing statement. Please note that this does not include your bank's processing time.

On the date the refund is completed, we'll send you an e-mail confirming the date, amount and payment details. After receiving this confirmation e-mail, you can view the refund details on the Order Summary in Your Account (http://www.amazon.com/your-account). Completed refunds will appear at the bottom of an individual order summary page.

I hope this helps. We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Best regards,
Natalie X

DOWN

Banned
Would I be an ass if I tweeted and asked:

@ubisoft How'd you manage making the first multiplat PS4 title this gen that not only looks like the weaker XB1 version, but performs worse?

I mean, I've got an XB1 and the MCC. But I don't comprehend how they messed this up and it totally sounds like forced parity gone wrong.

I'd put #fuckUbisoft but that's a bit agressive

Gaz_RB

I think you're grasping at straws. As to why the game runs like shit, I think it's best to look at Ubisoft's overly ambitious ideas that didn't match up with their own technical skills rather than blaming it on a conspiracy or parity or something.

The PS4 isn't really that much stronger than the Xbox One, practically. Yes, it has more raw power and has the better RAM, but ultimately it comes down to developer skill and optimization. How powerful a system is doesn't really factor too much into it.

OMG! Wow.

I went to amazon support and asked about refund policy for games that are unbearable to play at launch.

Hello, Brandon

I'm sorry to hear about the problem you've had with your Assassin's Creed Unity Xbox One.

On this occasion, we don't require you to return the original. You're welcome to keep, donate or dispose of it - whichever option is most appropriate and convenient for you.

I've requested a refund for 50.89 USD, which includes the cost of the item and its associated shipping costs. This refund will go through within the next 3-5 business days and will appear as a credit on your billing statement. Please note that this does not include your bank's processing time.

On the date the refund is completed, we'll send you an e-mail confirming the date, amount and payment details. After receiving this confirmation e-mail, you can view the refund details on the Order Summary in Your Account (http://www.amazon.com/your-account). Completed refunds will appear at the bottom of an individual order summary page.

Best regards,
Natalie X
Damn now I wish I would have gone with Amazon.

Kevyt

OMG! Wow.

Hello, Brandon

Best regards,
Natalie X

Wow... Amazon is always great! But so does this mean that they are aware of all the issues of Unity that they're willing to refund customers without shipping the game back? If so, that says a lot...

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Wow... Amazon is always great! But so does this mean that they are aware of all the issues of Unity that they're willing to refund customers without shipping the game back? If so, that says a lot...

Amazon does this sometimes on some orders, I guess they evaluate it would cost them more to handle the return (and what to do with it).

Syrus: Do you have Amazon Prime?

Dahbomb

Either some random assassin shows up in your game asking you to join or you go into the pause menu, scroll down to play together and press square to play co-op now and it put you in an open game.
I have been trying that and it puts that into a timer. I have waited 30 mins for a game, no show.

UrbanRats

OMG! Wow.

Hello, Brandon

Best regards,
Natalie X
Wat.
I suppose they assume people won't bank and exploit the thing?

DOWN

Banned
I think you're grasping at straws. As to why the game runs like shit, I think it's best to look at Ubisoft's overly ambitious ideas that didn't match up with their own technical skills rather than blaming it on a conspiracy or parity or something.

The PS4 isn't really that much stronger than the Xbox One, practically. Yes, it has more raw power and has the better RAM, but ultimately it comes down to developer skill and optimization. How powerful a system is doesn't really factor too much into it.

Then why has every other multiplatform game looked better on PS4? Better AO and resolution on Watch Dogs, Black Flag, better resolution across the board practically, some better shadows and effects in Destiny.

If they were aiming higher, which we know they could have on PS4 as every other dev including other Ubisoft teams have, why did the PS4 version end up looking like identical IQ and resolution? It just seems like they stopped PS4 at the threshold XB1 could meet 'to avoid debates and stuff'

Amazon does this sometimes on some orders, I guess they evaluate it would cost them more to handle the return (and what to do with it).

It also often has to do with customer history. If you've bought a ton without issues before, they occasionally will throw a reasonably priced, hard to restock item at you free instead of making you send it in.

Skux

The accents for Arno and Elise are hilariously all over the place.

But I kind of like it, it makes it feel less like a British takeover of France, and a bit more strange and exotic.

Gaz_RB

Then why has every other multiplatform game looked better on PS4? Better AO and resolution on Watch Dogs, Black Flag, better resolution across the board practically, some better shadows and effects in Destiny.

If they were aiming higher, which we know they could have on PS4 as every other dev including other Ubisoft teams have, why did the PS4 version end up looking like identical IQ and resolution? It just seems like they stopped PS4 at the threshold XB1 could meet 'to avoid debates and stuff'

Because they ran out of time and should have delayed it.

The truth is, devs can't work on games forever; in a perfect world where they could get actually get "every ounce" , PS4 games would always run better. If AC Unity had more time, then it would of as well. Don't mistake incompetence on the publishers part for some seedy backroom parity conspiracy.

benzy

OMG! Wow.

Hello, Brandon

Best regards,
Natalie X

I wonder if Amazon loses money on this or Ubisoft?

Syrus

Banned

yes I have prime, just awesome of them. FREE game. I used Gift card on it too, double free :p

I'm loving the game so far, the only problem I really have is the fps on the ps4 version. I've only fallen through the floor once, it just happened to be when I was doing an air assassination on the target of a story mission =\

I gotta say. I'm enjoying this more than I thought I would. I like being land locked. And this game does look really good (on PS4). Should be even better when the frame rate is patched.

Corpekata

Banned
Just realized you could tweak the hud so it's more like the early showings where you use eagle vision up high and get an idea of the basic area. I'm liking it. I do wish it had more options, like the hud activating upon combat or taking damage, but hey, the more games that let me tweak the increasingly ridiculous amount of hud clutter, the better.

ufo8mycat

Played about a little over 2 hours of the game on PS4

Framerate is like around 25fps - when I pan the camera, you get that ghost and jitter effect. Was thinking of getting the PC version at this point
I am someone who isn't too sensitive to framerate but a constant 25fps yeah no!! I have absolutely no problem at all with 30fps

Funny I managed to solve this by enabling Motiion Flow on my Smart HDTV - it seriously gets rid of it. I was quite amazed.

I have walked into really large crowds and notice a little bit of a dip, but nothing major at all. Again I am not that sensitive to framerates
After enabling Motion Flow - frame rate has been fine for me, then again I have played only 2 hours

Graphically - it looks photo realistic at times, its insane. Its quite amazing how gorgeous it looks.

One annoyance I have come across is how some chests can only be opened when playing the missions in the companian app! UGH

I haven't done many missions so far, as most of my time was spent exploring. I am still wiaitng for the bugs to come haha.
Will put more into it tonight.

Joeki11a

Banned
Based on what I have been able to piece together, and without spoiling, the connection with the Abstergo stuff is light at best.

The actual historical stuff seems to have Rogue lead into Unity, although not explicitly.

The abstergo "Juno Minerva" stuff has been horrible it hit the big point during Ezio/Revelations. I am still waiting for Minerva "to play her part" like she said.

I think Patrice and Jade Raymond would of taken the "those that came before" arc to a new level already, notice it hasnt been the same since they left.

These new guys at Ubisoft made it into a joke,
Abstergo Entertainment making games using memories,? Wtf haha think about it the Animus BlackFlags story was silly as fuck,
Funny in Rogue they even mock it, it feels serious in Rogue.

I really think they made Abstergo into a joke though, before in AC1 it was a core aspect of the story I still remember Vidic jackass ways towards Desmond, he seemed like a threat.

Why are they a parody of ubisoft or viacom? Haha silly.

Lizardus

First major assassination spoilers below. Need some help with it.

In the mission where
you have to kill Sievert, I killed the guy he was supposed to meet in the confession booth, killed Sievert in the confessional booth and suddenly, there are four bodyguards right in front of booth and one of them won't turn around so I can escape. Is this a bug?

Also, it says kill from hiding positions as a bonus objective. How did everyone else get this?

Joeki11a

Banned
Played about a little over 2 hours of the game on PS4

Framerate is like around 25fps - when I pan the camera, you get that ghost and jitter effect. Was thinking of getting the PC version at this point
I am someone who isn't too sensitive to framerate but a constant 25fps yeah no!! I have absolutely no problem at all with 30fps

Funny I managed to solve this by enabling Motiion Flow on my Smart HDTV - it seriously gets rid of it. I was quite amazed.

I have walked into really large crowds and notice a little bit of a dip, but nothing major at all. Again I am not that sensitive to framerates
After enabling Motion Flow - frame rate has been fine for me, then again I have played only 2 hours

Graphically - it looks photo realistic at times, its insane. Its quite amazing how gorgeous it looks.

One annoyance I have come across is how some chests can only be opened when playing the missions in the companian app! UGH

I haven't done many missions so far, as most of my time was spent exploring. I am still wiaitng for the bugs to come haha.
Will put more into it tonight.

Turn that off jaja, your eyes are being fooled with fakery

Joeki11a

Banned

In the mission where
you have to kill Sievert, I killed the guy he was supposed to meet in the confession booth, killed Sievert in the confessional booth and suddenly, there are four bodyguards right in front of booth and one of them won't turn around so I can escape. Is this a bug?

Also, it says kill from hiding positions as a bonus objective. How did everyone else get this?

Funny I did that from above in 2mins from above, will check out that way and other ways, on youtube soon.

I like this about AC games, many different ways to get the job done.

Clockwork

I picked this up on Tuesday for PS4 as part of the Target B2G1 deal. (Also picked up Halo MCC and Sunset Overdrive)

I must say that despite the performance issues (haven't run into the other glitches yet) I am actually enjoying this game quite a bit.

I was really let down with AC3 (so much I couldn't force myself to play it after 2 hours or so) so much that I completely skipped over the last one even though I heard it was better.

This was to be my return to the series and o don't regret it one bit. It would be nice for them to fix it/improve performance, but in the meantime I'll keep playing on...

Dead

well not really...yet
Has anyone been able to get AC Initiates to sync up to Uplay with all past AC games theyve played?

This shit is keeping me from additional outfits.

Not to mention the App is still bugged.

Has anyone been able to get AC Initiates to sync up to Uplay with all past AC games theyve played?

Every time I log in it progresses a bit more. Last night it finally got me to level 4 and gave me some badges. Not any of the 100% sync badges, or any lost memory badges. And on the game progress page it still shows them as unsynced.

So... progress?

In the mission where

There is a hay cart inside there. I came in from above, by getting the key, and I also killed the guy meeting him. Its on the left side, near the confessional booth. So, go in from above, drop down into hay. Wait for main guy and his guards to walk by to the confessional booth. Assassinate the one in the back, thats 1. Quickly sneak into the confessional booth, that counts as the second kill from hiding.

mine has kind of syncd up...im still missing a lot of stuff though. I am royally pissed that Liberation on Vita doesnt count for anything, only HD. I am actually thinking of buying it again, I enjoyed it anyway. I am like level 12, if I remember right. I dont think I can get Altairs outfit. There was an update on the initiates page yesterday saying they made more games sync, so I am expecting them to slowly sync up over the next few days maybe.

These new guys at Ubisoft made it into a joke,
Abstergo Entertainment making games using memories,? Wtf haha think about it the Animus BlackFlags story was silly as fuck,
Funny in Rogue they even mock it, it feels serious in Rogue.

I really think they made Abstergo into a joke though, before in AC1 it was a core aspect of the story I still remember Vidic jackass ways towards Desmond, he seemed like a threat.

Why are they a parody of ubisoft or viacom? Haha silly.

Making games out of the Animus has always been one of Abstergo's stated objectives since the first game.

Dead

well not really...yet
The present day stuff in this game says to me that Ubi has no idea what to do with it anymore. Its gone completely and relegated to a few cutscenes and voice over.

I think theyve heard criticisms that a lot of people hated how it took them out of the game, but at the same time...it's kind of impossible to that context out of the series now.

Do you guys think Unity's approach to the present day was the right move?

Top Bottom