• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed Unity |OT| Liberté, égalité, parité

I was not optimistic about my chances but... SUCCESS!
6xoZ0Ca.jpg

i've heard about 8 people that did the same thing today, they all purchased the game last night and all got a refund through sony this morning.
on top of that amazon are also giving free refunds.

Valonquar

Glad to see them honoring this stuff with all the fallout the game is getting. I haven't tried to get a refund on a physical copy of a game in over a decade, so not sure how fun that is right now.

Mogwai

Glad to see them honoring this stuff with all the fallout the game is getting. I haven't tried to get a refund on a physical copy of a game in over a decade, so not sure how fun that is right now.
You can always let GameStop
steal
buy it from you.

DOWN

Banned
Anyone on PS4 getting really low sound quality? Sounds tinny like it's playing through some really cheap speakers.
I do think the mix is strange. Voices sound like they are facing away from me, but other sounds are pretty good. It's a bit odd and sounds a little botched.

GavinUK86

I do think the mix is strange. Voices sound like they are facing away from me, but other sounds are pretty good. It's a bit odd and sounds a little botched.

I use pretty decent speakers, everything else sounds fine, and this sounds atrocious. It's so low quality it's off putting.

The further I get into this game the more I love it. It's becoming my favorite AC game. I think I'm getting used to the frame rate or maybe it's just the areas my recent missions have been in haven't been quite as bad. That being said this is coming from someone who thought Black Flag was a big step down from AC3 and Rev.

Me too by far the best AC in terms of my personal preferences, which is for open world RPG games. I cant speak for the main story and missions because I enjoy these RPG games by just exploring everywhere and doing side quests as they come up versus the main story path.

I am really impressed with how deep the equipment system is due to all the different bonus abilities types of equipment gives beyond survivability, like extended eagle vision range, more item/ammo space or healing bonuses.

In addition, having the multiple weapon types (with their own movesets) makes the combat feel more varied than games with just 1 type (like AC4 or even shadow of mordor)

The framerate on Xbox one is disappointing but its playable as is. I hope the PS4 people get a patch because the actual game itself is IMO the best AC by far (especially navigation with the down button, makes a huge difference in practice)

The level of detail in the game is incredible, both indoors and outdoors and its very impressive that you can seamlessly move in and outdoors without loading. At first it appears that arent that many detailed interiors, but there are - many get unlocked like opening cafes.

I dont know if its because its Paris and people are not understandable (if you dont soeak french) but I find the world much more believable and immersive than Watchdogs.

Glitch wise, I havent come across anything broken - just fireplace guy like in that bbc URL and citizens who are on top of scenery instead of on the ground sometimes, rarely enough that it doesnt impact my enjoyment

Anyway the core game is great, I am really enjoying it. It has the feel of an epic RPG to me, especially since i enjoy mixing combat and thief (lockpick) especially with the reason to have money now with the equipment system.

DOWN

Banned
I use pretty decent speakers, everything else sounds fine, and this sounds atrocious. It's so low quality it's off putting.
That was my first reaction and I thought it was just me, but almost every other game and movie I have sounds awesome on my speakers so uh oh. Can this be fixed with a patch lol?

Me too by far the best AC in terms of my personal preferences, which is for open world RPG games. I cant speak for the main story and missions because I enjoy these RPG games by just exploring everywhere and doing side quests as they come up versus the main story path.

I am really impressed with how deep the equipment system is due to all the different bonus abilities types of equipment gives beyond survivability, like extended eagle vision range, more item/ammo space or healing bonuses.

In addition, having the multiple weapon types (with their own movesets) makes the combat feel more varied than games with just 1 type (like AC4 or even shadow of mordor)

The framerate on Xbox one is disappointing but its playable as is. I hope the PS4 people get a patch because the actual game itself is IMO the best AC by far (especially navigation with the down button, makes a huge difference in practice)

The level of detail in the game is incredible, both indoors and outdoors and its very impressive that you can seamlessly move in and outdoors without loading. At first it appears that arent that many detailed interiors, but there are - many get unlocked like opening cafes.

I dont know if its because its Paris and people are not understandable (if you dont soeak french) but I find the world much more believable and immersive than Watchdogs.

Anyway the core game is great, I am really enjoying it. It has the feel of an epic RPG to me, especially since i enjoy mixing combat and thief (lockpick) especially with the reason to have money now with the equipment system.
Are you using French voices?

PooBone

Sent this back to Gamefly. The technical issues aside, the game is pretty boring. When are they gonna replace those tired animations?

GavinUK86

That was my first reaction and I thought it was just me, but almost every other game and movie I have sounds awesome on my speakers so uh oh. Can this be fixed with a patch lol?

Glad it's not just me then. I unplugged and reconnected everything because I thought my speakers had blown lol. I'm using English voices btw.

So there is no way to buy the regular edition at all on EU psn store on ps4?

All i can find is the gold edition and a all these F2P like transaction money BS, wtf

Q3OjVSu.gif

Frame rate is horrific but it's a stunning looking game. It's not bad so far, visuals are definitely helping with the enjoyment. Was going to cancel my order but it was too late so decided to give it a go. Happy with it on the whole despite some glitches and nasty frame rate. By the numbers AC creed however. For better or worse.

I mean the ambient conversations. Ironically I find it a lot more immersive than I am not following their conversations so its left to the imagination.

In watchdogs for example, the constant talking people did was annoying since most of the conversation was BS trivial stuff. It also means I feel kind of obligated to stop and listen, interrupting the flow (eg human nature, if you can hear someone faintly your innate reaction is to try and listen to it). It must be the reason that GTA's have relatively small amount of pedestrian chatter going on, versus watchdogs

Frame rate is horrific but it's a stunning looking game. It's not bad so far, visuals are definitely helping with the enjoyment. Was going to cancel my order but it was too late so decided to give it a go. Happy with it on the whole despite some glitches and nasty frame rate. By the numbers AC creed however. For better or worse.

Its really weird, its actually really bad early on and gets better later. Perhaps the PS4 performs better than I thought since that first playable section runs horribly despite being so simple (simple looking environment, not many enemies, no NPC's) so it gave the impression that its just going to get worse in Paris which is huge and more detailed.

Bizarrely its the opposite, the game often runs better in paris. Yes it definitely slows down in certain places, but its entirely playable (on xbox one). It also takes a few hours to start seeing how incredibly detailed the world is. Eg at the beginning versaille there were no cafes or stores you can go in (actually I found one with live music second time I started game) so I thought it was kinda like the older AC's where its just outdoor scenery. However not only can you go inside cafes, bars etc but you can own them,

cackhyena

I was really hoping stealth was better in this. It's so half assed, though. Gorgeous game and when climbing works, it works well, but damn if descending isn't an entirely different beast from the graceful decent they showed in one of the first videos. He doesn't realistically find points to grip or perch on that are only a few feet below. He'll skip a bunch of points and do a fifteen foot drop that looks awkward as shit. I appreciate getting down easily without ridiculous haystacks as the only other means, but it's off putting when what they showed looked so good, previously.

Having not played the series since quitting halfway through 3, I'm absolutely lost as to what is going on with Abstergo and all this other stuff. Animation for cutscenes is on another level. Really giving characters life more than ever. Loving the customization as well.

Question maybe no one will answer, but I'll try. Near the beginning of being an assassin here and I took on a side mission dealing with investigating these fountains. I've found two that had me listen to a strange voice and then go to town on fools that showed up all of a sudden. But I go to the third one in between some buildings, it's the smallest of the three....and nothing happens. No prompt to hear a voice. What is strange is I get the vibration just a little bit away from the fountain, as if that fountain isn't what I'm looking for, but it's the only one around. I searched for maybe some underground route I'm not seeing, but couldn't find anything. Anyone else run into this issue?

zlatko

Banned
I haven't done it yet myself today, but the word on the street is you can fix the framerate issues by playing in offline mode on your platform. PS4 users all confirm either massive improvement or a total fix of framerate if you play offline.

ZeroX03

Banned
I haven't done it yet myself today, but the word on the street is you can fix the framerate issues by playing in offline mode on your platform. PS4 users all confirm either massive improvement or a total fix of framerate if you play offline.

It hasn't exactly fixed the framerate for me, but it stopped the massive frame hitches I started experiencing in Sequence 12. The game was seriously close to unplayable with those hitches, I couldn't see attacks and lockpicking was impossible.

So there is no way to buy the regular edition at all on EU psn store on ps4?

All i can find is the gold edition and a all these F2P like transaction money BS, wtf

Q3OjVSu.gif

might be because they had to refund so many people this morning, it probably got taken down to check, not sure though.
If so it'll probably be put back put once they realise that the game actually just runs badly.

anyone else wonder why they don't back off the character during combat sequences....I'm getting tired of not seeing when to parry or getting shot from god knows where

Valonquar

You know, it might be fun to collect all of the names listed in the credits has having something to do with the game, and match them up with other games released well before they were ready.

Razvan Rotunjanu (the name listed for "Worlwide Quality Control Director) doesn't seem to have many games assiated with him: Child of Light, Rabbids - Big Bang, Driver - San Fransico, Outland, Tom Clancy's H.A.W.X.

In the past it seems like it has been easy to point the finger at the big company as a whole when it comes time to point fingers, but most of these big companies just own several different studios, and each studio has staff that hops around many different projects and different companies.

Sure, it's likely the head honchos saying "Release the game now, we don't care what you have to do" but there's trickle down, and it still comes down to each studio, and divisions within each studio to push back. I would be curious to see if there's several industry people that were working on Unity that also happened to release other stuff that was riddled with bugs, or if their previous works fared better.

rBose

Banned
Dont visit the U BE SOFT forums ( ACU PC ), there's a big ass spoiler about the game right in the main page,

No one gives a shit about deleting it and unfortunately now I know how the fucking game ends.

i miss the whistle button, i wonder why they took it out

I miss it too. Someone posted on some other forum that they missed it and some rube jumped down their (figurative) throat telling them that this game is NEW and Ubisoft got rid of OLD gameplay so that's why it's better to not be able to whistle. I've rarely ever wanted to physically assault someone through my computer screen, but this was one of those times.

Aces&Eights

i've heard about 8 people that did the same thing today, they all purchased the game last night and all got a refund through sony this morning.
on top of that amazon are also giving free refunds.

I had this exact same chat session and the next day I got a denial letter from Sony saying that all sales are final and they would not issue a refund.

In my chat the guy used the exact same verbiage about they normally don't but will this one time. Please allow 3-5 days, etc.

What a crock. I think I just have bad luck

GeoGonzo

Yup, down here (PC version, if that matters).

I'll go play something else while its down, I don't trust uPlay not to mix up my savegames once it goes back up.

foxbeldin

I miss it too. Someone posted on some other forum that they missed it and some rube jumped down their (figurative) throat telling them that this game is NEW and Ubisoft got rid of OLD gameplay so that's why it's better to not be able to whistle. I've rarely ever wanted to physically assault someone through my computer screen, but this was one of those times.

Whistle just made the stealth kills too easy imho.

I'm sad that so many fans won't buy this game because of bad reviews (and technical issues) because it really is the true successor to AC 2. At least on Xbox One it's absolutely fine and it plays even better than Blag Flag (in terms of framerate issues).

Yoday

It's definitely not just you. It was the first thing I noticed when I started the game. The sound effects are just really poor quality. I can't tell if they are actually low quality, or if the mix is off. I notice it mainly in sound effects like fire, weapon sounds, and so on. It comes across as really muffled like you would get from a bad simulated surround sound effect. If they were CPU and memory starved then I guess it could have made sense to cut back on the quality of sound effects to reduce the load, as they most often occur during intense moments. I don't know, whatever it is, it sounds awful.

VanWinkle

I'm sad that so many fans won't buy this game because of bad reviews (and technical issues) because it really is the true successor to AC 2. At least on Xbox One it's absolutely fine and it plays even better than Blag Flag (in terms of framerate issues).

I would in no way whatsoever call the performance on XB1 "absolutely fine." It's not. At all. And I am someone who thinks [a very stable] 30fps is totally fine in games.

Yoday

It can not be good reading for Ubisoft that even the BBC are releasing detailed stories on this.

Also just read Eurogamer have tested playing the off and online and they say there is little to no difference, what a mess. Think I will keep my money for FC4 and Dragon Age.
When did the test it? They brought Uplay down yesterday, so going offline completely shouldn't really make a difference now.

Guesong

Try not to blame the QA guys. They probably highlighted the issues, it was down to production to fix them before release. These guys will be better at testing games than you are.

My friend once tested a game and reported some bugs. Nothing major, mind you, but stuff visibly clipping into the ground. He was told "This isn't a bug, this is a bad. What are we paying you for?"

Well, okay sir. I only thought you were making this big AAA game, my bad.

Was there on release and still there to this day. Long story short, many times QA spots the issues but in the end, if the company doesn't want to fix it (because the game HAS to come out), welp.

This is so embarrasing, they should compensate every person that buy this game. Glad that I started with Rouge, having a blast with it and maybe by the time I finish it, Unity will be fixed.

Top Bottom