• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed Unity |OT| Liberté, égalité, parité

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
idjupo80hxfb3szqsb.gif
Blackflag was a big step down from ACIII though, you may have like it but it was a massive step down in well everything, the thing it had and too much of was sailing which was from ACIII, I think it was rushed for launch tbh.

I am always hesitant to praise Black Flag too much because I thought the mission design was the worst in the series.

But, well, I guess I am now keenly aware that it's not the worst thing that could happen to an AC game.

I would in no way whatsoever call the performance on XB1 "absolutely fine." It's not. At all. And I am someone who thinks [a very stable] 30fps is totally fine in games.

Did you play the other AC games? The framerate in AC 3 and Black Flag is worse. I'm not saying that there aren't any framerate issues but it's nowhere near as bad as it sounds (on GAF :p).
Did you install the first patch (day one patch)?

Joeki11a

Banned
Blackflag was a big step down from ACIII though, you may have like it but it was a massive step down in well everything, the thing it had and too much of was sailing which was from ACIII, I think it was rushed for launch tbh.

AC3 felt like a big event, but didnt executive its mission. the 7 hour intro tutorial made many drop the game, Connors dull persona made it worst, but if you endured and finished it the story was actually good/cool.

AC Rogue is more like AC3 than Assflags
the sailing stuff isnt its main focus this Shay guy isnt Kenway all into trying to be a Pirate.

I completed the game. Here are my thoughts, and I have spoilered the later part for effect. I'll focus on everything besides bugs, technical stuff and optimization since this has been talked about to death.

Premise; Clocked in at 19 hours according to Steam. I did the single-player and quite a few activites, but did only two co-op missions. I'll focus mainly on SP.
I've played all the games except of Liberation. Black Flag is my favorite for its intriguing open world, but I enjoyed the others as well.
Going into Unity I had high expectations, which I feel ultimately was not met. In series tradition the game does not fix the symptomic problems that has plauged Assassins Creed since the original, and in terms of AI and Stealth, since the original Splinter Cell (more on this later).

I'm not annoyed at Ubisoft Montreal/Shanghai/other Ubi studios, ability to release a new game ever year. When Splinter Cell and Prince of Persia had become trilogy almost year-by-year, the industry was amazed at the output.
But like those franchises, Assassins Creed keeps taking two steps forward, one step back in most things. In the case of Unity it might be one step forward, two steps back. That doesn't mean Unity is a bad game, but it's time something is done with the formula to fix it.

A.I remains a constant immersion breaker, and has been so since Ubi first made Splinter Cell. A game which was a graphical showcase for its time, and very exciting. The idea has always been that the Stealth aspect is revolving around trying to get undetected past enemies, or kill them, or stop them somehow.
The biggest problems remains their field of vision, their simple algorithims which completely breaks apart when discovered followed by 30 seconds of looking after the player, continued by them returning to their default positions like nothing has happened, or simply having become slightly more alert.
In Unity, the stealth and sneaking is even more frustrating than usual. The line-of-sight easily breaks, and guards will detect you despite of no field of vision. The game does a poor job of telling you when your safe hiding in a crowd, and with the removal of blend-in from previous games, its even more difficult. I found myself defying the stealth, smoke bombing and berserk darting myself to advantages and as many kills as I could, to get to my targets.
It's disappointing than there has been so little progress in actual AI, or trying to make guards/enemies act more like real humans would.

Combat, like in the Prince of Persia games has evolved quite a bit, and gone from decent, to better, to okay, to bad, to okay. A sorta good-sorta-bad approach has been the case with AC for many installments. In Unity they have tried to make combat more of a chellange (to reward stealth play more) by having more aggressive enemies. And I did die a lot more than any AC game I have played. It's by far the most difficult AC game. In the earlier games it was relatively easy to fight off 20-30 enemies thanks to an invincible parry counter combo, but in Unity the use of guns make that impossible. However unlike Assassins Creed 3 the enemies are very aggressive with their shooting, and facing against a dozen enemies often result in a quick death.

This makes for frustration a lot of the time, but also disappointment. The games combat feels slower, more buggy but it also has not been so visually stimulating as this one. Fluid combat animations don't really begin to describe how awesome it looks when you are fighting with a polearm which is a combo of spear, a axe and a hammer in one.
I felt I enjoyed the combat a lot less in Unity than the other games, but it was largely due to the games platforming elements.

Unity banked a lot on its downward-traversal. Holding the Right Trigger + B allows the player to climb down safely, and it is a good addition. You'll wonder why it was not there since the first game because it feels so natural.
Paris is created with more complexity than any city before it, which means that traversing buildings has become a lot less easy than it used to be. Often I found myself unable to climb higher up because I was not approaching it from just the right angle, or shifting my movement stick just the right way. This has been a problem always in the series, but it's more glarring in this one, than in the other games.

What really is problematic, is when combat and platforming becomes at odds. You're fighting a bunch of guys and as you try to run away the character will immediately get stuck on a on a table, and when trying to go down, he will jump to hold on to a chandalier, while 4 enemies are shooting at you and stabbing you with bayonettes.
When these frustrations are happening a lot more than in the other games, combined with series tried-and-true restart mission structure (trial and error galore) it makes for a really annoying gameplay experience.
It wasn't the technical bugs, framerate bugs and so on that did me in, no it was that the games platforming, stealth and combat focus are fighting each other and makes the entire thing stumble.

My favorite addition to Unity was the customization. While I lilked the downward traversal and thought the Co-Op and heists missions were okay, I think making my own assassin look, picking, buying, unlocking, and upgrading my own assassin was really fun and really well made. The game packed in a surprising amount of customization, and instead of adding silly sub-RPG elements which often are half-baked in third person action games, the players level efficiency arise automatically as they unlock/buy new weapons. Both the armor and variety of weapon styles were impressive. As were the color combos, and the outfits you could unlock. I was really satisfied with it, and I wondered about how it would have been had all the assassins game had this feature.

Unity packs the least out-side of the Animus story ever in an AC game, and that should be good news for many who dislike the entire Desmond/Abstergo plot. The game retains the animus presence however, and a few points in the game, the it will become present that you are in the Animus.
My thoughts on the story;
Unity's story started out amazing by landing us in the last days of the templar orders reign. You get to control a bad ass Templar as he tries to protect something extremely valuable from the attacking assassins. I felt this, france in this time period was really exciting, and it reminded me of how much I long for more video games and media that tackles the crusader-era. The fanatism surrounding the religions, the horrors of the plague, and the betrayal of the french king on friday the 13th.

However, jumping into Arno's story I was met with surprise. On the bright side I found Arno to be a great character. He is really well voice acted. In fact I think it was outstanding, and I think the facial animation performance that is given - the subtle smirks, his surprise, and everything else - is really outstanding. In that sense, from a technical perspective the story is well told.

From a drama standpoint, I have of problems with it; Just like Asssassins Creed 3,
the flow of time is poorly done. I had trouble keeping up with how much time had passed. Arno gets locked up in prison and two months later fighting with his mentor he is a trained assassin.
AC3 did the same thing with Connor and Achillis. Without the build up or progression, like Ezio had in AC2, I feel much less invested in the growth of Arno's character.

I did not become moved by seeing Arno as a little boy seeing his father die. we had just been introduced to the characters, had no personal relationship with them, and the revenge aspect later was poorly used. It just didn't made sense to focus on this, when it comes have focused on showing the passing of time of Arno becoming a skilled fighter. The entire game is about becoming a better and better assassin, so I feel this omission, like in AC3 is very strange.

Unity is well directed, characters look (besides the atrocious hair.. dayum) and talk great but the story lacks any sort of real punch. It was hard to care. the master assassins in the brotherhood, the way fulfilling revenge, the betrayals, the he-was-not-who-I-thought-he-was, the fight with your mentor, the annexation from the brotherhood, the last boss fight. I found all of it very passively engaging, and I thought it was needless for it to be so.

I think the game did not use the french revolution well enough as a good backdrop for the story. It always felt like it was happening in the background, and the inclusion of Napoleon felt like an afterthought. It was not anywhere near as fun as Leonardo Da Vinci's presence in AC2.
The romance with Elise was decent enough, but it still missed the emotional weight. I get that revenge themes are a big part of assassins creed, but it feels like a major step back from Black Flag.

Edward Kenway was a not a decent person, and he goes on a truthful redemption, and just revenge that changes him. The game takes many unexpected twists and turns, and the flaws in Edwards character sets him up for being able to grow so much.
In Unity Arno is a decent character but there is not a lot of particularly interesting things going on. he wants a revenge, but then the girl is more important, and then he drinks, and then he is exiled, and then and then. It's all very mellow and lacks the focus of a character who has something real to fight for.
Unlike Connor however, Arno at least doesn't spew his mouth with stupid overly patriotic nonsense every 5 seconds making you hate the character, but that annoyance is traded with a strange form of passivism, that is unbecoming.

Arno has potential moving forward, and he can be great, but because the game doesn't have a good antagonist, it actually becomes more dull than AC3 which had a bad protagonist (Connor) but a fantastic antagonist (Haytham). Arno is left to rut, and I dont understand given how insanely violent the french revolution was.

Was it a poor use of the timeline? No, but it was also unexpected. A bunch of us predicted, before Assassins Creed II was announced that the next game would be set in the french revolution. It felt like the natural step after the unique setting of the crusades, and Ubisoft being french, it made perfect sense.
But the french revolution is not used to maximized effect in Unity. Not by a long shot. In the trademark Guillotines are very sparsely placed, and it seems that the most impressive recreation besides the cities layout (which feels authentic. each district feels a lot like the real paris today, which is impressive) was all the unique placeholder animation for the many NPCs. Ubisofts calls them "real NPCs" but I am not sure what is so real about them. They are incredible static, don't move, and standing still in the roaring crowds, suddenly makes the smoke screen clear, and you begin to realize that it all feels incredible shallow.
1/5 of the buildings are now exploreable on the inside, and it is fun for a while to explore a more dense city with lots of internal buildings to explore. But the game is still shallow. The NPCs are deader than dead, and I am beginning to wish that Ubisoft would take their AI and NPCs seriously.
Before Oblivion came out, Bethesda touted their Radiant AI saying that their NPCs would have a schedule. go to bed, wake up, eat, go work, walk around, talk to other villagers, and go to bed at night.
I feel that Ubisoft needs something like this. It's not enough to have 5000 NPCs and just go derpy-derpy, because the illusion breaks relatively fast. If Ubi Montreal were to embrace prodecually generated NPCs which created unique priporities for faces, hair, hair color, body type, skin color, and outs along with a a complex series of AI patterns which allows NPCs to live in the city instead of being palceholder, I think we would be on to something. Something which would benefit any AC setting.

There is nothing wrong with making another AC game each year with a new story and setting if its really enjoyable. But we're talking Splinter Cell circa 2001 problems here. It really got to me in Unity. Brotherhood/Revelations and Black Flag had their own series of interesting gameplay systems like governing a network of assassins and sending them out on missions or managing and steering your own massive war ship, but Unity bringing it back to the basics, makes it clear, that something new needs to happen in its three gameplay pillars which makes the foundation of assassins creed; Platforming, Stealth, Combat. In Unity there is rearing problems with all three, and with a story which didn't pack the emotional punch despite being competently told and extremely well voice acted, I am sad to say that I am mellow about Assassins Creed Unity.

Shadows of Mordor fixes the combat problems that plagued the series, but shares the parkour traversal and stealth problems which also troubles Assassins Creed. All In all I think it's bad ass what Ubisoft has done with this series. They have believed in this franchise so much, and it really shows. The output of installments in only 7 years since the first one, is insane.
Unity is not a bad game, but it is one of the most troublesome Assassins Creeds in my opinion. I think it was a good try though. Very few games/movies/tv shows have been released about the french revolution and while this game doesn't do its setting justice, I think it was a really good attempt. AC has always been the most brave series to tackle unconventional time periods and time settings for its games. The Holy Lands during the Crusades and the Renaissance proved that much. Setting a game in Constantinople further proved it, and making the best pirate game, probably ever, just nailed in the hammer. At this point we get it, but at this point I also have to say, that the cool setting of the french revolution is just not enough.

I completed the game. Here are my thoughts, and I have spoilered the later part for effect. I'll focus on everything besides bugs, technical stuff and optimization since this has been talked about to death.

Premise; Clocked in at 19 hours according to Steam. I did the single-player and quite a few activites, but did only two co-op missions. I'll focus mainly on SP.
I've played all the games except of Liberation. Black Flag is my favorite for its intriguing open world, but I enjoyed the others as well.
Going into Unity I had high expectations, which I feel ultimately was not met. In series tradition the game does not fix the symptomic problems that has plauged Assassins Creed since the original, and in terms of AI and Stealth, since the original Splinter Cell (more on this later).

I'm not annoyed at Ubisoft Montreal/Shanghai/other Ubi studios, ability to release a new game ever year. When Splinter Cell and Prince of Persia had become trilogy almost year-by-year, the industry was amazed at the output.
But like those franchises, Assassins Creed keeps taking two steps forward, one step back in most things. In the case of Unity it might be one step forward, two steps back. That doesn't mean Unity is a bad game, but it's time something is done with the formula to fix it.

A.I remains a constant immersion breaker, and has been so since Ubi first made Splinter Cell. A game which was a graphical showcase for its time, and very exciting. The idea has always been that the Stealth aspect is revolving around trying to get undetected past enemies, or kill them, or stop them somehow.
The biggest problems remains their field of vision, their simple algorithims which completely breaks apart when discovered followed by 30 seconds of looking after the player, continued by them returning to their default positions like nothing has happened, or simply having become slightly more alert.
In Unity, the stealth and sneaking is even more frustrating than usual. The line-of-sight easily breaks, and guards will detect you despite of no field of vision. The game does a poor job of telling you when your safe hiding in a crowd, and with the removal of blend-in from previous games, its even more difficult. I found myself defying the stealth, smoke bombing and berserk darting myself to advantages and as many kills as I could, to get to my targets.
It's disappointing than there has been so little progress in actual AI, or trying to make guards/enemies act more like real humans would.

Combat, like in the Prince of Persia games has evolved quite a bit, and gone from decent, to better, to okay, to bad, to okay. A sorta good-sorta-bad approach has been the case with AC for many installments. In Unity they have tried to make combat more of a chellange (to reward stealth play more) by having more aggressive enemies. And I did die a lot more than any AC game I have played. It's by far the most difficult AC game. In the earlier games it was relatively easy to fight off 20-30 enemies thanks to an invincible parry counter combo, but in Unity the use of guns make that impossible. However unlike Assassins Creed 3 the enemies are very aggressive with their shooting, and facing against a dozen enemies often result in a quick death.

This makes for frustration a lot of the time, but also disappointment. The games combat feels slower, more buggy but it also has not been so visually stimulating as this one. Fluid combat animations don't really begin to describe how awesome it looks when you are fighting with a polearm which is a combo of spear, a axe and a hammer in one.
I felt I enjoyed the combat a lot less in Unity than the other games, but it was largely due to the games platforming elements.

Unity banked a lot on its downward-traversal. Holding the Right Trigger + B allows the player to climb down safely, and it is a good addition. You'll wonder why it was not there since the first game because it feels so natural.
Paris is created with more complexity than any city before it, which means that traversing buildings has become a lot less easy than it used to be. Often I found myself unable to climb higher up because I was not approaching it from just the right angle, or shifting my movement stick just the right way. This has been a problem always in the series, but it's more glarring in this one, than in the other games.

What really is problematic, is when combat and platforming becomes at odds. You're fighting a bunch of guys and as you try to run away the character will immediately get stuck on a on a table, and when trying to go down, he will jump to hold on to a chandalier, while 4 enemies are shooting at you and stabbing you with bayonettes.
When these frustrations are happening a lot more than in the other games, combined with series tried-and-true restart mission structure (trial and error galore) it makes for a really annoying gameplay experience.
It wasn't the technical bugs, framerate bugs and so on that did me in, no it was that the games platforming, stealth and combat focus are fighting each other and makes the entire thing stumble.

My favorite addition to Unity was the customization. While I lilked the downward traversal and thought the Co-Op and heists missions were okay, I think making my own assassin look, picking, buying, unlocking, and upgrading my own assassin was really fun and really well made. The game packed in a surprising amount of customization, and instead of adding silly sub-RPG elements which often are half-baked in third person action games, the players level efficiency arise automatically as they unlock/buy new weapons. Both the armor and variety of weapon styles were impressive. As were the color combos, and the outfits you could unlock. I was really satisfied with it, and I wondered about how it would have been had all the assassins game had this feature.

Unity packs the least out-side of the Animus story ever in an AC game, and that should be good news for many who dislike the entire Desmond/Abstergo plot. The game retains the animus presence however, and a few points in the game, the it will become present that you are in the Animus.
My thoughts on the story;
Unity's story started out amazing by landing us in the last days of the templar orders reign. You get to control a bad ass Templar as he tries to protect something extremely valuable from the attacking assassins. I felt this, france in this time period was really exciting, and it reminded me of how much I long for more video games and media that tackles the crusader-era. The fanatism surrounding the religions, the horrors of the plague, and the betrayal of the french king on friday the 13th.

However, jumping into Arno's story I was met with surprise. On the bright side I found Arno to be a great character. He is really well voice acted. In fact I think it was outstanding, and I think the facial animation performance that is given - the subtle smirks, his surprise, and everything else - is really outstanding. In that sense, from a technical perspective the story is well told.

From a drama standpoint, I have of problems with it; Just like Asssassins Creed 3,
the flow of time is poorly done. I had trouble keeping up with how much time had passed. Arno gets locked up in prison and two months later fighting with his mentor he is a trained assassin.
AC3 did the same thing with Connor and Achillis. Without the build up or progression, like Ezio had in AC2, I feel much less invested in the growth of Arno's character.

I did not become moved by seeing Arno as a little boy seeing his father die. we had just been introduced to the characters, had no personal relationship with them, and the revenge aspect later was poorly used. It just didn't made sense to focus on this, when it comes have focused on showing the passing of time of Arno becoming a skilled fighter. The entire game is about becoming a better and better assassin, so I feel this omission, like in AC3 is very strange.

Unity is well directed, characters look (besides the atrocious hair.. dayum) and talk great but the story lacks any sort of real punch. It was hard to care. the master assassins in the brotherhood, the way fulfilling revenge, the betrayals, the he-was-not-who-I-thought-he-was, the fight with your mentor, the annexation from the brotherhood, the last boss fight. I found all of it very passively engaging, and I thought it was needless for it to be so.

I think the game did not use the french revolution well enough as a good backdrop for the story. It always felt like it was happening in the background, and the inclusion of Napoleon felt like an afterthought. It was not anywhere near as fun as Leonardo Da Vinci's presence in AC2.
The romance with Elise was decent enough, but it still missed the emotional weight. I get that revenge themes are a big part of assassins creed, but it feels like a major step back from Black Flag.

Edward Kenway was a not a decent person, and he goes on a truthful redemption, and just revenge that changes him. The game takes many unexpected twists and turns, and the flaws in Edwards character sets him up for being able to grow so much.
In Unity Arno is a decent character but there is not a lot of particularly interesting things going on. he wants a revenge, but then the girl is more important, and then he drinks, and then he is exiled, and then and then. It's all very mellow and lacks the focus of a character who has something real to fight for.
Unlike Connor however, Arno at least doesn't spew his mouth with stupid overly patriotic nonsense every 5 seconds making you hate the character, but that annoyance is traded with a strange form of passivism, that is unbecoming.

Arno has potential moving forward, and he can be great, but because the game doesn't have a good antagonist, it actually becomes more dull than AC3 which had a bad protagonist (Connor) but a fantastic antagonist (Haytham). Arno is left to rut, and I dont understand given how insanely violent the french revolution was.

Was it a poor use of the timeline? No, but it was also unexpected. A bunch of us predicted, before Assassins Creed II was announced that the next game would be set in the french revolution. It felt like the natural step after the unique setting of the crusades, and Ubisoft being french, it made perfect sense.
But the french revolution is not used to maximized effect in Unity. Not by a long shot. In the trademark Guillotines are very sparsely placed, and it seems that the most impressive recreation besides the cities layout (which feels authentic. each district feels a lot like the real paris today, which is impressive) was all the unique placeholder animation for the many NPCs. Ubisofts calls them "real NPCs" but I am not sure what is so real about them. They are incredible static, don't move, and standing still in the roaring crowds, suddenly makes the smoke screen clear, and you begin to realize that it all feels incredible shallow.
1/5 of the buildings are now exploreable on the inside, and it is fun for a while to explore a more dense city with lots of internal buildings to explore. But the game is still shallow. The NPCs are deader than dead, and I am beginning to wish that Ubisoft would take their AI and NPCs seriously.
Before Oblivion came out, Bethesda touted their Radiant AI saying that their NPCs would have a schedule. go to bed, wake up, eat, go work, walk around, talk to other villagers, and go to bed at night.
I feel that Ubisoft needs something like this. It's not enough to have 5000 NPCs and just go derpy-derpy, because the illusion breaks relatively fast. If Ubi Montreal were to embrace prodecually generated NPCs which created unique priporities for faces, hair, hair color, body type, skin color, and outs along with a a complex series of AI patterns which allows NPCs to live in the city instead of being palceholder, I think we would be on to something. Something which would benefit any AC setting.

There is nothing wrong with making another AC game each year with a new story and setting if its really enjoyable. But we're talking Splinter Cell circa 2001 problems here. It really got to me in Unity. Brotherhood/Revelations and Black Flag had their own series of interesting gameplay systems like governing a network of assassins and sending them out on missions or managing and steering your own massive war ship, but Unity bringing it back to the basics, makes it clear, that something new needs to happen in its three gameplay pillars which makes the foundation of assassins creed; Platforming, Stealth, Combat. In Unity there is rearing problems with all three, and with a story which didn't pack the emotional punch despite being competently told and extremely well voice acted, I am sad to say that I am mellow about Assassins Creed Unity.

Shadows of Mordor fixes the combat problems that plagued the series, but shares the parkour traversal and stealth problems which also troubles Assassins Creed. All In all I think it's bad ass what Ubisoft has done with this series. They have believed in this franchise so much, and it really shows. The output of installments in only 7 years since the first one, is insane.
Unity is not a bad game, but it is one of the most troublesome Assassins Creeds in my opinion. I think it was a good try though. Very few games/movies/tv shows have been released about the french revolution and while this game doesn't do its setting justice, I think it was a really good attempt. AC has always been the most brave series to tackle unconventional time periods and time settings for its games. The Holy Lands during the Crusades and the Renaissance proved that much. Setting a game in Constantinople further proved it, and making the best pirate game, probably ever, just nailed in the hammer. At this point we get it, but at this point I also have to say, that the cool setting of the french revolution is just not enough.

Wow. That is a lot. ;)

TGO

It didn't have nearly the amount of activities, the weapons was scaled back to just swords even some abilities was removed and the story was none existent, I thought the game had just kicked in gear when it ended and the best thing about it was sailing/pirating which was taking from ACIII but there was just too much of it.
By the end of it it seemed Edward was just not an important character. And even the modern day stuff went to nowhere.
Its also the first AC I completed in a week, really short and uneventful.

theDeeDubs

the sailing stuff isnt its main focus this Shay guy isnt Kenway all into trying to be a Pirate.

Which is a big reason I'm really excited about it. What I've seen of people streaming it, it looks like a welcome departure from Black Flags and return to AC3. I'd be playing it now if I didn't want to wait and see if we get a port to the new consoles.

TGO

AC3 felt like a big event, but didnt executive its mission. the 7 hour intro tutorial made many drop the game, Connors dull persona made it worst, but if you endured and finished it the story was actually good/cool.

I agree It think ACIII is underrated I actually rank it highly but you must endure it's short comings and it's good to hear Rogue is more like AC3, I heard people saying its like Blackflag which is actually off putting.

I just wanted to post my thoughts mate. Not trying to persuade anyone of anything. Even if not a single individual found anything useful from my ramblings, I had a good time trying to write down how I felt. It felt therapeutic^^

Crap. I meant to say thanks because it was so long. Good read but long! Thanks for the impressions, sorry if that was kind of a dumb reply :D

@Wreck

in my opinion

AC: Blackflag allot of fun > AC 3 no joy for me i think it was the lack of building climbing

Valonquar

I had this exact same chat session and the next day I got a denial letter from Sony saying that all sales are final and they would not issue a refund.

In my chat the guy used the exact same verbiage about they normally don't but will this one time. Please allow 3-5 days, etc.

What a crock. I think I just have bad luck

Well I hope they don't try that with me...

TGO

Whats going on with the captures on the PS4?
I taken loads of shots and they look terrible compared to have the game actually looks when I taking them.

Yoday

I really dislike the stealth button having a dual function. I would much rather have the option to set it to toggle or hold over how they have it set up. I accidentally get stuck in stealth all the time.

I agree It think ACIII is underrated I actually rank it highly but you must endure it's short comings and it's good to hear Rogue is more like AC3, I heard people saying its like Blackflag which is actually off putting.

That's the good thing about the franchise. Everyone seems to have their favorite one. I liked all of them for the most part. Even AC3 and Unity with all it's warts. I enjoyed Black Flag, but also didn't like how the Assassin aspect to the game was secondary. It really was a straight up pirate game with the AC tag.

Now with Rogue out maybe something Ubi should do moving forward would be having the AC (Assassin) game be more focused on a historical urban setting. Then have out every other year an AC (Templar) game that is more wide open world with naval combat and exploration.

rBose

Banned
Posted it too, doesn't look fake, considering it;s got Ubi's name on it.

If it were to say that they shit on their uses I'd believe it but since we can't find it anywhere on social media I guess it's fake.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Try not to blame the QA guys. They probably highlighted the issues, it was down to production to fix them before release. These guys will be better at testing games than you are.
The worst part about reporting game bugs and fixing them is that you have to figure out how to replicate the bug, the bugs that are easiest to replicate are the easiest to fix, and vice versa. So even reported bugs might not be fixable if they're very hard to replicate and/or random.

I've already posted 6400x3600 downsampled screenshots. What more do you want :p
Photo mode. ._.

anybody using the companion app?

i started using lol

its kind a fun
Yes I mean, I like it actually. Especially as a map. It reminds me of that Facebook game they did for AC2 Brotherhood I think it was. It was one of the AC2 games. Anyway, the Facebook game had a lot of cool side story/lore bits that I wish they implemented in the companion app. But still it's pretty neat even as a 3D map.

Ricker

Just tried my first co-op mission with a random...it did not go well,its one of the early ones...it went well until the last part about Paton and killing 3 Templars...the other guy didn't have a mic(PS4)so after 5 tries,I just gave up.

ZeroX03

Banned
Just tried my first co-op mission with a random...it did not go well,its one of the early ones...it went well until the last part about Paton and killing 3 Templars...the other guy didn't have a mic(PS4)so after 5 tries,I just gave up.

That mission is super easy solo.

The worst part about reporting game bugs and fixing them is that you have to figure out how to replicate the bug, the bugs that are easiest to replicate are the easiest to fix, and vice versa. So even reported bugs might not be fixable if they're very hard to replicate and/or random.

Photo mode. ._.

Someone just posted an integrity check bypass on the cheat engine forums. This will allow me to start working on my free camera + FOV.

Freezing time is another story. Hopefully I can figure that one out.

Muffdraul

Friend came over. Said his roommate got this game and that it's absolutely beautiful, looks so "next gen", didn't notice any performance issues.

Is the general public really that easily impressed by graphics?

I mean the game looks nice in stills but when it's running.... Ehhhh....

I'm playing on PS4 and I agree with your friend's roommate. I often stop and marvel at how good the game looks as I play.

I'll accept that some people really are having a miserable time getting hit by bugs and constant sub 20 frame rates if folks like you will accept that some of us simply aren't having that kind of experience with the game. 20+ hours in, I've had only a handful of minor glitches, generally involving a random NPC here and there doing something weird, and precisely two cases of bizarre unaccounted for fps apocalypse. It just isn't enough to significantly impact the fun I'm having the other 99% of the time. I'm not seeing the broken mess of a game others are describing. If others are, my heart and sympathies go out to them. Personally, I had a much worse time playing AC3.

That doesn't mean I think it's OK for Ubisoft or anyone else to release a game with this many bugs, and fuck Ubisoft for continually doing so. But I'm not gonna lie... Unity is not "broken" in my experience. Far from it.

has anyone been able to synch their app with the game on ps4 yesterday or today? I cant seem to, I have a mission and a couple chests I could unlock...

Since Wikipedia still does not have the plot of Unity written yet, can someone please tell me if anything happens with the present day stuff? I remember in AC4 stuff happens with Rebecca and Shaun was wondering if anything else happened since nothing happened with them in AC Rogue's present day. (Don't plan on playing this game till late next year, so spoil away) Thanks!

Yasae

Banned
Vigilant Walrus said:
[...]A.I remains a constant immersion breaker, and has been so since Ubi first made Splinter Cell. A game which was a graphical showcase for its time, and very exciting. The idea has always been that the Stealth aspect is revolving around trying to get undetected past enemies, or kill them, or stop them somehow.
It's disappointing than there has been so little progress in actual AI, or trying to make guards/enemies act more like real humans would[...]
I have to disagree here. Blending is available from the start if you have 4 or more people around you. The telltale blue circle denotes this. I've used it to very good effect to escape guards, though only if they were just catching up to me in a chase.

Sight isn't difficult to break, however enemies do pursue your last known position and if they find you again, they'll usually engage. Guards can see you on rooftops and other catwalks if you're in their line of sight, and though they can't pursue up high, they can and will shoot. In Unity it's more difficult to escape simply by running away, even on rooftops to some degree. Smoke bombs become extremely useful to have the further into the game you get.

Where I do agree with you is the clumsiness of the parkour when escaping. The big problem is (and has always been): free run and sprint are mapped to right trigger. It's a catch-all button. While outside of combat the feature is useful, but when you're trying to get away nimbly and catching on to all sort of things and doing wall climbs (which means: POW POW YOU'RE DEAD), it does become a bit of a mess. Ubisoft needs to separate a few commands.

NovaCross

Neo Member
So I just experienced my first issue. My game was actually running perfect since launch but it Auto-Saved somewhere buggy - Now every time I try to load my Auto Save file, it crashes. I can't even get into the actual game now.

A follow up to my issue. It seems I can only play the game in OFFLINE mode, which kinda beats the point of the game. I was really into co-op and enjoying it but now I can't even play the game when it's connected to the internet.

Jesus, Ubisoft.

My experience with this game has been good so far. I'm a sucker for renaissance world setting so I might a little bit bias here. Sadly awkward game design choices and microtransactions held this game from it's full potential.

My favorite thing about this game is that most of the iconic buildings are fully realized, almost 1:1 scale with full detail. The sense of scale is great especially when you jump down after synchronization. Also, I heard Notre Dame de Paris took almost a year to complete. Insane.

The framerate is quite horrible sometimes but it's not as bad as AC3:Liberation for Vita IMO. I hope Ubisoft will fix the framerate issue soon.

Muffdraul

has anyone been able to synch their app with the game on ps4 yesterday or today? I cant seem to, I have a mission and a couple chests I could unlock...

I haven't even tried that yet.

I forget what menu I was looking at in the game, but it told me that in order to unlock some stuff I had to to "synch AC2, Brotherhood, Revelations, and AC3 with Uplay." I just played all them within the last six weeks or so and accessed Uplay from each of them, so I have no idea what I'm supposed to do to "synch" them.

Kal-El814

I'm enjoying the game so far.

Did the first assassination mission yesterday, and I really like the way that mission type has been "opened up." It felt like a better implementation of the assassinations that we saw in I and II, which is where I thought those were the best.

Paris is dense, which is a different take on the cities than we've seen so far, but I like it.

The co-op has been fun, even though I've only done two missions and got partnered up with someone derpy for one of them. It was funny enough to be worth it even though we got crap rewards.

I'm playing it on the PC, and I've not run into any issues or glitches so far. Fingers crossed.

It's a shame that the launch of this game has been so uneven; I feel like the game itself is pretty good.

I haven't even tried that yet.

I forget what menu I was looking at in the game, but it told me that in order to unlock some stuff I had to to "synch AC2, Brotherhood, Revelations, and AC3 with Uplay." I just played all them within the last six weeks or so and accessed Uplay from each of them, so I have no idea what I'm supposed to do to "synch" them.

I had all of the games synched before now and UPlay seems to have forgotten that fact since it shit itself with the release of Unity. I'm hoping they'll fix it but who knows?

Yasae

Banned
Paris in this game is fucking gigantic. They could've used half the city and it would've been more than big enough.

I see why there's fast travel, though I wouldn't be surprised if they use a few smaller locations in the next games and bring back horses.

cb1115

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
the entire game could've been scaled down (world, NPCs, side missions) and it probably would've been a better game for it.

Top Bottom