• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed Unity |OT| Liberté, égalité, parité

ZeroX03

Banned
How is running still not the default state for this game? You rarely ever need to walk, enemies still can't hear you when you run at them from behind and making R2 both run and freerun leads to so many accidents.

TheRed

How is running still not the default state for this game? You rarely ever need to walk, enemies still can't hear you when you run at them from behind and making R2 both run and freerun leads to so many accidents.

I always hate when games default to run, makes me feel like my character is panicking. Would ruin my assassin swagger where I like to walk a lot. As an option for people I wouldn't be against it though.

Muffdraul

Since day 1 of this franchise, when guards are suspicious of you, your running fills up their suspicion meter much faster.

Dead

well not really...yet
Ubisoft games have the best walking

Walking in watch dogs was the definition of swag. It's no different in AC

Dad

I haven't been following closely, but has the whole "offline improves performance thing" been proven to be true or bullshit? I'd be down for some offline play if it made the game more tolerable to play.

ZeroX03

Banned
Since day 1 of this franchise, when guards are suspicious of you, your running fills up their suspicion meter much faster.

Except it doesn't actually matter. For general running, you'll be past guards before they're suspicious enough to fight you. Guards don't turn fast enough to blow your cover when running for assassinations. I have never needed to use walking in this game, except for when blending in crowds because apparently if you duck in crowds that makes you more obvious. Every guard can apparently see through crowds and when you're ducking underneath people, but need when you're walking in them.

My finger is on R2 for 99% of gameplay. Make a dedicated walking button for the people who want it, but from a gameplay perspective it's obsolete.

TheRed

I equipped the Lochaber axe and holy shit at the long weapon executions. The fighting style is really cool too. When he stabs with his arm behind his neck it's badass.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
I haven't been following closely, but has the whole "offline improves performance thing" been proven to be true or bullshit? I'd be down for some offline play if it made the game more tolerable to play.

Sometimes the game trying to sync with Ubi servers will cause the framerate to plummet,,, if you quickly disconnect/re-connect the internet connection, it'll clear it up.

Seems to be a bug.

Disconnection doesn't really seem to improve general framerate in my experience, it just un-fucks it when it goes to shit.

DOWN

Banned
I think it's a placebo thing and so does Digital Foundry. My game was worse today than ever before. I tried the offline things a couple of times and I think people are just latching hopefully onto moments when the frame rate is hanging around 30fps and convincing themselves it is just because they are offline.

Framerate is a bit better, but I notice that once the companion app is connected for more than an hour the Framerate gets very choppy. It feels almost like it's continually at 10fps until I log out the companion app and restart.

On an unrelated note, does anyone know how to unlock the "Tailored Phantom Hood"?. It says play the companion app, which I have been doing, but it doesn't unlock.

Bricky

So, uhm, my Arno just sneaked up up and away.

BlushingFavoriteAustraliankestrel.gif

I'm going to see how far he goes. To infinity and beyond!

Dad

Sometimes the game trying to sync with Ubi servers will cause the framerate to plummet,,, if you quickly disconnect/re-connect the internet connection, it'll clear it up.

Seems to be a bug.

Disconnection doesn't really seem to improve general framerate in my experience, it just un-fucks it when it goes to shit.

I think it's a placebo thing and so does Digital Foundry. My game was worse today than ever before. I tried the offline things a couple of times and I think people are just latching hopefully onto moments when the frame rate is hanging around 30fps and convincing themselves it is just because they are offline.

That's a shame. I'm probably take Assassin's Creed out of a dirt ashtray because I love the settings so much, but the performance really is putting a damper on the free running. Hoping they can actually fix some of this with a future patch.

Dahbomb

Assign your PS4 a static IP address and then put it in the DMZ. This will solve the issue, but of course... obviously it's not the safest solution,
Thank you for this, it worked for me!

Although a lot of people are having this issue and if I didn't know what you were talking about then they are still sucks. Really weird Ubisoft didn't account for this as it's apparently a widespread issue.

Just joined the NeoGAF club! YAY!

ZeroX03

Banned
ACIV had stupid network issues as well. Unity and IV are the only games my friends and I can't play online, they refuse to connect us.

Is it just me or is the combat more difficult? Also, do I level up via the story or is it with Gear and stuff?

Yeah, combat is more difficult than previous entries which I think is fantastic, since you're not an unstoppable killing machine anymore. You level up with Gear, the higher the number of diamonds next to the gear the better.

Skyzard

Banned
I have to assume the console versions run like pure shit because the more I play it the more I'm loving Unity, and the more unfortunate the review scores seem.

I'm on a 780ti with 4770K@4.4, max settings except high textures and fxaa (which works well in this) and 2560x1440 res. The game is almost art.

Locked 29fps, never misses a beat.

9+/10

But if it plays awful on next gen then fair enough, that's not on and it should have been tweaked to be playable (and on lower config pcs).

Dahbomb

Is it just me or is the combat more difficult? Also, do I level up via the story or is it with Gear and stuff?
Depends on the enemy levels. If you are 3 or lower stars then 3 or more enemies with 5 stars will destroy you. If you are 5 Gold star then you can dispatch 5-7 5 star enemies fairly easily but anymore and it gets difficult again.

The main reason for the difficulty are enemies who pull out a gun and attack you from off screen. If you can see all the enemies on screen and they didn't pull out their gun then the combat would still be easy. It's still possible to fight them in this scenario but it's frustratingly difficult and not worth the effort.

Muffdraul

Except it doesn't actually matter. For general running, you'll be past guards before they're suspicious enough to fight you. Guards don't turn fast enough to blow your cover when running for assassinations. I have never needed to use walking in this game, except for when blending in crowds because apparently if you duck in crowds that makes you more obvious. Every guard can apparently see through crowds and when you're ducking underneath people, but need when you're walking in them.

My finger is on R2 for 99% of gameplay. Make a dedicated walking button for the people who want it, but from a gameplay perspective it's obsolete.

Except it does matter in cases where for whatever reason you'd simply prefer not to have guards go from yellow mild suspicion to a red THERE HE IS LET'S GET HIM CHASE THAT FUCKER situation. It never happens? What? You must be some kind of zen master player. Shit can go wrong even when you think you're being careful. I dunno, personally I don't hold the run button down all the time. Sometimes I'm pretty chill when I play open world games.

Evolved1

Depends on the enemy levels. If you are 3 or lower stars then 3 or more enemies with 5 stars will destroy you. If you are 5 Gold star then you can dispatch 5-7 5 star enemies fairly easily but anymore and it gets difficult again.

The main reason for the difficulty are enemies who pull out a gun and attack you from off screen. If you can see all the enemies on screen and they didn't pull out their gun then the combat would still be easy. It's still possible to fight them in this scenario but it's frustratingly difficult and not worth the effort.

I play without HUD... damn near every fight is challenging. Even the easy ones lol.

Yea, the guns kills me so fast sometimes but all in all I'm having fun with it. I actually find that the big guys kill me faster (the big brute type enemies).

Yeah, combat is more difficult than previous entries which I think is fantastic, since you're not an unstoppable killing machine anymore. You level up with Gear, the higher the number of diamonds next to the gear the better.

Ahh, I see. Need...more.....money!

Yoday

This is ridiculous. ACIV had the most amount of free-form assassinations in the series. There were dozens upon dozens of assassination contracts, each on their own unique island or in a city that allowed you to approach the target any way you wanted and take them out.

The side content was generally good with a lot of fun things to do at your own pace.

The game also had the most amount of unique and interesting locations to explore since AC2, the sailing stuff was fun, the songs were a really nice addition. Good characters, good story. Heck, even the modern day stuff was different and enjoyable.

Yes, the downside is that the main story missions for the most part sucked, were extremely linear with lots of tailing and had lots of instant fail states. Considering that these days the main story missions are < 25% of the entire game content in an AC title, it was a negative but didn't keep everything else from making it a quality AC game.

Lots of people who claim ACIV was "great", are fans of the series that have played every entry since AC1. Just look at the ranking threads where most longtime AC fans rank ACIV with AC2/B and there's an occasional AC fan who feels AC3 was the best. ACIV didn't get good reviews and good word of mouth because people don't like AC, it got that because it was a pretty good game even with its flaws and a game that emphasized "fun" gameplay over narrative. I feel like most detractors are people who focused on the main story and were frustrated at the quality of the story missions or people who went crazy from collecting every single collectible on its own little island.
I probably generalized a bit more than intended in that part. What I was getting at was that at least from what I have heard from a number of people on podcasts, is that what a lot of them liked so much about Black Flag was the ship battles and not the actual AC part of the game. The reason this game is considered a step back for those people is because it does't have the parts that made it a pirate game more than an AC game. There are a number of people that simply don't like the mechanics that make an AC game what it is, and they turn that into a narrative about the game needing to go through a dramatic gameplay change, when in reality they will likely never like whatever changes are made as long as those changes keep the core AC gameplay.

TheRed

I have to assume the console versions run like pure shit because the more I play it the more I'm loving Unity, and the more unfortunate the review scores seem.

I'm on a 780ti with 4770K@4.4, max settings except high textures and fxaa (which works well in this) and 2560x1440 res. The game is almost art.

9+/10

But if it plays awful on next gen then fair enough, that's not on and it should have been tweaked to be playable (and on lower config pcs).

I completely agree with you. This game is fantastic. I feel bad that others might not get to fully enjoy it because of performance.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Yea, the guns kills me so fast sometimes but all in all I'm having fun with it. I actually find that the big guys kill me faster (the big brute type enemies).

Do the last heist mission solo. If you do it without being detected you can get around 70K. Also, this is what the map looks like without the blue animus effect.

qmHc5aO.jpg

ZeroX03

Banned
Except it does matter in cases where for whatever reason you'd simply prefer not to have guards go from yellow mild suspicion to a red THERE HE IS LET'S GET HIM CHASE THAT FUCKER situation. It never happens? What? You must be some kind of zen master player. Shit can go wrong even when you think you're being careful. I dunno, personally I don't hold the run button down all the time. Sometimes I'm pretty chill when I play open world games.

It only ever happens when I'm running in a restricted area past guards. At which point I'm either purposely trying to run or would stealth my way through. Low Profile crouch is also pointless, they can still see you crouched behind things if you don't use cover and it doesn't work in crowds.

Run by Default
L2 = Walk / Low Profile
R2 = Climb Up
Circle = Descend
Cross = Jump / Snap to Cover

Problem solved. You keep walk, it does it's intended job as low profile and there's no more accidentally climbing on things while running and no more finger cramps from constantly holding R2. Of course they'd have to fix cover as well...

Renovate your cafe theatre and buy all the social clubs. You passively earn 10,000~ every 20 minutes. By the end of the game all my gear was legendary.

fernoca

9+/10

PS4 version here and no problems so far. My favorite AC game since II, and considering that ACII was the one that got my interest back (disappointed with ACI, so avoided ACII. Got II as a gift). III and IV put me off again, so I was ready to ignore AC once more. But the few videos I watched reminded me of the Ezio games so much, that I preordered this digitally along the season pass.

Heck, not only ordered a poster of Unity for my door, but couldn't resist and got this today:

Liked Revelations, but didn't played it as much as I wanted. Got it for $1 anyway, to have something with Ezio, Altair and Desmond.

Yasae

Banned

Indeed, the guns are a significant part of what makes the fighting seem more difficult. I think it's a little cheesy, but at least they're trying to make you less of a one man army and in effect that's what guns do.

It's the Indiana Jones solution.

indiana-jones-gun-beats-sword-o.gif

I probably generalized a bit more than intended in that part. What I was getting at was that at least from what I have heard from a number of people on podcasts, is that what a lot of them liked so much about Black Flag was the ship battles and not the actual AC part of the game. The reason this game is considered a step back for those people is because it does't have the parts that made it a pirate game more than an AC game. There are a number of people that simply don't like the mechanics that make an AC game what it is, and they turn that into a narrative about the game needing to go through a dramatic gameplay change, when in reality they will likely never like whatever changes are made as long as those changes keep the core AC gameplay.
Mostly agreed. To be fair, Unity should've been the 3rd or 4th game in the series instead of the 7th or 8th (technically 9th if you were to unfairly put Rogue first). One could easily blend a lot of the AC games together and strip out the bullshit... Maybe... AC2 melting pot, Brotherhood melting pot, Black Flag (sailing) melting pot. Then Unity.

Part of the negativity surrounding this game is definitely related to how many AC games have already worn out the formula, and it's a shame because this title as a whole is solid. I've played 12 hours on PC and shake my head at the glitchfest and framerate issues mentioned. Those are real problems for certain versions and in certain instances, but aside from those faults, the points against Unity have been quite weak. 75% of the news around this game is related to grand exaggerations and glitch gifs.

I mean, I wish I could say I've seen tons of glitches and FPS nosedives all over in my version. I just can't.

webkatt

PS4 version here and no problems so far. My favorite AC game since II, and considering that ACII was the one that got my interest back (disappointed with ACI, so avoided ACII. Got II as a gift). III and IV put me off again, so I was ready to ignore AC once more. But the few videos I watched reminded me of the Ezio games so much, that I preordered this digitally along the season pass.

Heck, not only ordered a poster of Unity for my door, but couldn't resist and got this today:

Liked Revelations, but didn't played it as much as I wanted. Got it for $1 anyway, to have something with Ezio, Altair and Desmond.

I'll take those uplay codes if you don't want them!

fernoca

I'll take those uplay codes if you don't want them!
Too late!! :p

And the app finally works as intended! PS4 patch downloaded. Ready to play now. Oh! And noticed that it's one of those patches that if you downloaded a previous patch it only downloads the new data. Noticed once the download went from 0MB to 700+ in a sec. So, is not a 900+800MB patch.

ZeroX03

Banned
The 'finishing blow' animations are cool, but they mess with the flow of combat. If you kill a guy but they haven't fallen yet, if you pull out your gun to try and shoot someone else it'll default to the guy who hasn't fallen over instead of the next alive enemy. Even if you've got your stick pointed in a different direction. Rookie mistake Ubi (Shadow of Mordor and Arkham Origins had similar issues).

webkatt

Too late!! :p

And the app finally works as intended! PS4 patch downloaded. Ready to play now. Oh! And noticed that it's one of those patches that if you downloaded a previous patch it only downloads the new data. Noticed once the download went from 0MB to 700+ in a sec. So, is not a 900+800MB patch.

The app is being weird for me. I unlocked 2 nomad chests and the it tells me to unlock them in game with Arno.

I go to the places and it tells me to play nomad missions.

Dead

well not really...yet
To echo all those who feel this is the best AC since 2, yeah it definitely is.

The pacing is good, the city is back to beautiful with all sorts of unique historic architecture, the side quests are once again interesting and the addition of the customization, co-op and better traversal and combat really help too.

But at the same time, there are still things missing from AC2 that I sorely miss, like The countryside and The Assassins tombs, feel like the France setting would have been perfect for more tombs.

It's crazy just how amazing AC2 really was, and how it got everything right.

I kinda hope the next AC is still set in france and expands on Unity, like Brotherhood did with AC2

Dahbomb

Framerate gets pretty awful during some of these Co op missions but it's still very fun. Also laggy makes the combat really wonky. Moving around and playing stealth is fine online though.

Most people online aren't very good though.

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.
The only thing i miss out of AC:2/BrotherHood (can't remember exactly which one it was) is the mafucking Brutus Armor you got with the fur around the collar and the cape and all that fucking flair meng...

Unlocking the outfit underneath your cafe was kind of a let down when you put it on and realize that it's basically Altair's outfit except black and red. leshrug.gif

Going the Brigand route now and LOVING the Masters coat... long ass duster with the collar from the masters hood? Yeshplease. Dark Alley color pallete and you're good to go.

Lovin Unity. Not entirely understanding the negativity out there in reviews.

I've glitched maybe 3 or 4 times so far and there is noticeable slowdown in certain situations/locations but really on the whole? fucking impressive. Not even noticing the pop in that badly when amongst the huge crowds as I've normally got some shit to do and places to go so i'm not scanning around for graphical imperfections.

Good stuff! Arno isn't bad either... that Silversmith seems shady as fuck tho, imo.

Skyzard

Banned

Glad to hear it's not so bad that it affects everyone then!

I actually haven't played an AC since I but I picked up II ages ago on Steam for cheap...might play it later but it's going to be really hard to top this I think. I heard brotherhood was good too.

I think this may have been their maximum effort in terms of detail etc. Perhaps we need all future Ubisoft games to be set in France so they feel the pressure :p

Evolved1

It has some quirks... but this is the best AC game yet imo.

Top Bottom