• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed Unity |OT| Liberté, égalité, parité

I'm weird. I care more about this dumb shite app than the performance issues. I really wanted this update to work :-/

I really want it to fully work too. People think Im weird because in games like this, I go around and collect every little thing on the map before I play through most of the story. I just beat sequence 9 to get the 3rd lock picking skill, now just going around collecting everything. Seeing those app chests everywhere and the couple initiates chests I cant open is driving me up the wall lol

Muffdraul

Tried it but I miss the map ...need it to search for collectibes :/

Man, there is so much stuff to do.... I can't stop playing this game.

I don't get the reviews ....really...I don't get it. It's the best AC game so far, imo.

This game is a perfect example of why I don't let reviews or GAF consensus have any bearing on what I do or don't play.

TheRed

Welp, I'm completely fucked. I can not run more than 100 meters after staring the game without a crash. I have no idea what is causing it. Sigh....

Are you in the southeast corner of the map? That was happening all the time there, just load up and fast travel out of there.

Yoday

This enigma riddles are probably my favorite part so far. Really like how they get you to get to know the city. No tail missions are great, but still some insta-fail so far, the early PR made it sound like they were removing the insta-fail and it'd be more like MGS where any situation can morph into a new situation if you're detected instead of just restarting from checkpoint.

Modern day stuff is a shame, probably the second worst in the series, only beaten by the FPS platforming of Rev. Time rifts seem to be the "modern day" replacement, but they lack the story context.

One thing I don't get is how since AC:B they haven't been able to capture the economy/upgrade your base system again. ACIV was visually cool base-building but it didn't really do much except use all your money, AC2/B did it great with walking through town upgrading shops, buying paintings to display, increasing everything in your Villa to bring in more money for yourself. I'd really like a nice upgrade system like this again some day in an AC.

Would like to see them take this engine, which is gorgeous, and scope and add back the ocean and sailing for an even bigger scope. Have a game like Unity, but with a smaller Paris at the expense of a second major city that you can sail to with islands and things in-between.

Also, lack of deathmatch, versus MP modes is a bit of a shame with such a huge Paris and so much space to make fun cat & mouse chases. They should do a multiplayer focused DLC expansion that adds versus game styles to play in the city.
I am still early in the game, so I don't know how the story ends, or what happens with Arno, but this idea could be exactly what the next game is if they stick with Arno and follow the Napoleonic era. We could very well see something where we have Paris, Malta, and the Mediterranean Sea.

TheRed

Is this a safe places to love this game?! Because it's amazing!!

I love this game! Idk what people are smoking when people say AC4 is such an improvement. It had such horrible fucking missions. I liked Edward but still, the boat stuff was good for a while but all the cities or towns are so underwhelming to explore, and they just stretch out the time it takes to explore by having a bunch of ocean between everything. My enjoyment of that game mostly came from the beautiful tropical environments. While I think Unity has made actual welcome gameplay improvements.

Unity's World blows it away with the scale of the city and the mission variety in the side activities is still not entirely engrossing but way better than previous AC games, with the paris stories and murder mysteries etc.
Only thing I understand is people not being able to be immersed due to the poor performance on console because that's a problem I don't have on my PC, and it's totally a valid criticism.

For me this is easily my favorite Assassin's Creed game alongside AC2. I hope all the bad press doesn't dissuade them too much improving on Unity's formula for future games.

charsace

Agreed, completely. They've hit the right notes with the mission design and city design in this one. I'm loving it so far.

I'm worried they aren't going to bother going for games with such big scope and detail anymore.

I hope this is another assassin creed 1 to 2 situation. AC1 was fun and showed potential, but there wasn't much to do as it was their first try and felt incomplete in ways. Then Ubi did AC2 which was a big jump in quality and a great game IMO. If this turns out to be another situation like the one a point out, the next AC will be even better than ACU and I don't know if my heart could take that.

I really want it to fully work too. People think Im weird because in games like this, I go around and collect every little thing on the map before I play through most of the story. I just beat sequence 9 to get the 3rd lock picking skill, now just going around collecting everything. Seeing those app chests everywhere and the couple initiates chests I cant open is driving me up the wall lol

To add insult to injury: I have a waypoint that placed from the app stuck on my screen because I can't get back into the app to delete it.

SJRB

Gold Member
QjNm0Lx.jpg

MfG6JDA.jpg

pyfmctK.jpg

Everytime I enter some back alley it blows my mind, the lighting and huge amount of details are stunning. Even with shit PS4 screenshot compression and blur it still looks awesome.

The environment artists deserve massive props.

Niven

I love this game! Idk what people are smoking when people say AC4 is such an improvement. It had such horrible fucking missions. I liked Edward but still, the boat stuff was good for a while but all the cities or towns are so underwhelming to explore, and they just stretch out the time it takes to explore by having a bunch of ocean between everything. My enjoyment of that game mostly came from the beautiful tropical environments. While I think Unity has made actual welcome gameplay improvements.

Unity's World blows it away with the scale of the city and the mission variety in the side activities is still not entirely engrossing but way better than previous AC games, with the paris stories and murder mysteries etc.
Only thing I understand is people not being able to be immersed due to the poor performance on console because that's a problem I don't have on my PC, and it's totally a valid criticism.

For me this is easily my favorite Assassin's Creed game alongside AC2. I hope all the bad press doesn't dissuade them too much improving on Unity's formula for future games.

This is 100% how I feel!

Bebpo

Banned
I hope this is another assassin creed 1 to 2 situation. AC1 was fun and showed potential, but there wasn't much to do as it was their first try and felt incomplete in ways. Then Ubi did AC2 which was a big jump in quality and a great game IMO. If this turns out to be another situation like the one a point out, the next AC will be even better than ACU and I don't know if my heart could take that.

Well AC3 -> AC4 was exactly that. AC3 was sort of a "reboot" with a new engine and upgraded graphics (that really weren't all that noticeably improved, just way more taxing and worse performance) but really lacking in good content, full of bugs, felt incomplete. Then AC4 adds a ton of gameplay, lots of locations, a good story, makes it fun again.

If the cycle continues, then yeah AC6 could add more enjoyable gameplay, more locations, more content, etc...

Namikaze1

I haven't even gotten to sequence 5 yet but I already bought all the Social Club houses and fully renovated the place they give you.

Yoday

You have to realize that the people that say that also tend to be people that don't actually like AC games. I really loved Black Flag, but it was a pretty big departure from the series, and I am glad Unity is getting back to the roots. If you read reviews and opinions from people that don't generally like AC games though, they see this as a step back. This was a very common thread among the reviews I have seen for Unity, and as a fan of the classic AC games it is incredibly frustrating. I really hope Ubi doesn't go and do something stupid like completely changing the series because these reviewers have a problem with what these games are. I like to think that the series has enough fans that actually like the games that Ubi will stick to and expand on what they are doing with Unity. The haters are always going to hate, and the reviewers will never be happy with core AC gameplay, but they don't speak for the millions of people that play and love these games on a yearly basis.

Rurunaki

So, how's the framerate for ps4 now? Last time I played it, my head hurted. So I decided to play Sunset Overdrive, til they fix the framerate issue for the ps4 version.

Psoelberg

Tried it but I miss the map ...need it to search for collectibes :/

Man, there is so much stuff to do.... I can't stop playing this game.

I don't get the reviews ....really...I don't get it. It's the best AC game so far, imo.

Yeah, in the start I missed the map too, but I got used to it. And I just really like the look without any HUD. And most of the time the game does a good with telling you where to go, or play small sounds when your near a chest.

I don't get the reviews either. I have never had this much fun with a AC game. Paris really feels alive.

Loakum

Banned
Is the popup the same since the update?

That, I don't know because I never seen any pop ups, even before the latest patch.

Just finished a side quest that gave me nearly 40k. Feels good man.

wow a 40k side quest? I need that quest. That's all I've been doing is side quests. I solved all of Nostradamus enigma glyphs, to unlock that all black Altiar Assassin suit. I also did most of the murder mysteries (I love solving these).

Syrus

Banned
Well Amazon refunded me the game and I get to keep it! Got Unity for free! By time I finish it will be patched im sure

Bebpo

Banned
You have to realize that the people that say that also tend to be people that don't actually like AC games. I really loved Black Flag, but it was a pretty big departure from the series, and I am glad Unity is getting back to the roots. If you read reviews and opinions from people that don't generally like AC games though, they see this as a step back. This was a very common thread among the reviews I have seen for Unity, and as a fan of the classic AC games it is incredibly frustrating. I really hope Ubi doesn't go and do something stupid like completely changing the series because these reviewers have a problem with what these games are. I like to think that the series has enough fans that actually like the games that Ubi will stick to and expand on what they are doing with Unity. The haters are always going to hate, and the reviewers will never be happy with core AC gameplay, but they don't speak for the millions of people that play and love these games on a yearly basis.

This is ridiculous. ACIV had the most amount of free-form assassinations in the series. There were dozens upon dozens of assassination contracts, each on their own unique island or in a city that allowed you to approach the target any way you wanted and take them out.

The side content was generally good with a lot of fun things to do at your own pace.

The game also had the most amount of unique and interesting locations to explore since AC2, the sailing stuff was fun, the songs were a really nice addition. Good characters, good story. Heck, even the modern day stuff was different and enjoyable.

Yes, the downside is that the main story missions for the most part sucked, were extremely linear with lots of tailing and had lots of instant fail states. Considering that these days the main story missions are < 25% of the entire game content in an AC title, it was a negative but didn't keep everything else from making it a quality AC game.

Lots of people who claim ACIV was "great", are fans of the series that have played every entry since AC1. Just look at the ranking threads where most longtime AC fans rank ACIV with AC2/B and there's an occasional AC fan who feels AC3 was the best. ACIV didn't get good reviews and good word of mouth because people don't like AC, it got that because it was a pretty good game even with its flaws and a game that emphasized "fun" gameplay over narrative. I feel like most detractors are people who focused on the main story and were frustrated at the quality of the story missions or people who went crazy from collecting every single collectible on its own little island.

Dahbomb

Turns out the problem I have been having with online features like Club and co op are widespread. It's related to some error. Ubisoft says it's related to router settings which is horseshit because I play other online games on PS4 through these settings.

Anyone have a workaround for this? I am stuck trying to get Sync points on Co op missions playing solo.

Stat!

Still looking for co-op partners for ps4 if anyone wants to play. I haven't done any of the co-op stuff. Im at sequence 5 in my singleplayer. I have a mic as well.

PSN is Stat_09

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Turns out the problem I have been having with online features like Club and co op are widespread. It's related to some error. Ubisoft says it's related to router settings which is horseshit because I play other online games on PS4 through these settings.

Anyone have a workaround for this? I am stuck trying to get Sync points on Co op missions playing solo.

Assign your PS4 a static IP address and then put it in the DMZ. This will solve the issue, but of course... obviously it's not the safest solution,

SJRB

Gold Member
Maybe it's placebo effect, but after the patch and when uPlay servers were down I could've sworn performance was way better.

Anyone else noticed that?

Buzzbrad

Maybe it's placebo effect, but after the patch and when uPlay servers were down I could've sworn performance was way better.

Anyone else noticed that?

Apparently to improve performance you can turn off your internet. It helped a bunch of people.

Ha, I totally agree. I enjoyed Black Flag for what it was, but I'm also enjoying the return to a more classic AC feel - even after just a short time playing it.

And I also suspect that people who think Black Flag is what the series should be aiming for are people who are not really the game's core audience - reviewers included, it seems.

Ultimately, sales will be the final arbiter. They aren't going to listen to reviewers if their core audience supports the game. They should also be mindful that if the game is being received negatively, a large part of that has to do with their own missteps and technical issues, not the game itself.

It totally escaped me until recently that the Templars, formed by French nobleman, make Unity seem more authentic. Obviously the group in the game spanned many different countries, allegiances, and regions; but I feel like in Unity Arno is dealing with a very pure Templar organization. It feels like how AC1 felt. AC2 always felt removed from the group origins. Even though the history of Altair and Ezio are directly related.

I don't know, maybe that's all nonsense, but I just think this was a great setting because of the actual Templar history being so heavily rooted in France.

ThatMattZ

Despite the unfortunate performance hits and the few bugs what's underneath is fantastic. The story, the characters, the open ended assassination missions, this game is what Assassin's Creed is to me. And not to mention the city is just unbelievable. My wife and I were fortunate enough to visit Paris this past spring and being able to go "visit" revolutionary Paris is just such a cool experience. It's the most alive and realistic game world I've experienced. Love it!

DOWN

Banned
Can someone here tell me how I get income from my social clubs and also how to collect the nomad points that are shown on the map in the companion app?

Namikaze1

wow a 40k side quest? I need that quest. That's all I've been doing is side quests. I solved all of Nostradamus enigma glyphs, to unlock that all black Altiar Assassin suit. I also did most of the murder mysteries (I love solving these).
It was a level 5 mission from one of the 10k Social Club houses. Though I think the value would've decreased greatly if I was a level 5 myself because one of the other social club missions was offering 25k as a reward for a level 4 mission. I decided to wait till I hit level 4 to do it. The reward changed to a mere 2500. I decided I might as well take the risk and not lose big time on them.

By the way, I call the star system above your health levels. I don't know what's the official name Ubi gave it but they're levels to me.

Bollocks

anybody got coop invite working?
can't join my friends and neither can they join my game.
I can join randoms fine via auto matchmaking ._.

ViciousDS

Banned
Screw it couldn't find anything, search NGAF to join the xbox one crew and make sure to message me your forum name on xbox one

My gamer tag is TheViciousDS

Namikaze1

Can someone here tell me how I get income from my social clubs and also how to collect the nomad points that are shown on the map in the companion app?
Have you unlocked your villa yet? You collect the money there. All the Social Club houses you buy does is increased how much you get.
It's a chest that will show up as green on your minimap and screen if it has money in it for you.

TheRed

This is ridiculous. ACIV had the most amount of free-form assassinations in the series. There were dozens upon dozens of assassination contracts, each on their own unique island or in a city that allowed you to approach the target any way you wanted and take them out.

The side content was generally good with a lot of fun things to do at your own pace.

The game also had the most amount of unique and interesting locations to explore since AC2, the sailing stuff was fun, the songs were a really nice addition. Good characters, good story. Heck, even the modern day stuff was different and enjoyable.

Yes, the downside is that the main story missions for the most part sucked, were extremely linear with lots of tailing and had lots of instant fail states. Considering that these days the main story missions are < 25% of the entire game content in an AC title, it was a negative but didn't keep everything else from making it a quality AC game.

Lots of people who claim ACIV was "great", are fans of the series that have played every entry since AC1. Just look at the ranking threads where most longtime AC fans rank ACIV with AC2/B and there's an occasional AC fan who feels AC3 was the best. ACIV didn't get good reviews and good word of mouth because people don't like AC, it got that because it was a pretty good game even with its flaws and a game that emphasized "fun" gameplay over narrative. I feel like most detractors are people who focused on the main story and were frustrated at the quality of the story missions or people who went crazy from collecting every single collectible on its own little island.

I definitely explored a lot in ACIV but the side content wasn't any more interesting than say Far Cry 3 side content. The assassination contracts were never too interesting to me and I did a whole lot of em but they felt like just putting a marker over a random npc on the island to easily kill. Also any failure at stealth didn't lead to any problems because the execution combos were still in full effect. In Unity there are free form assassinations and I think they incentivize stealth more than ever. Even when I've reasonably upgraded Arno so far I'm still fleeing from fights when I see I'll get overwhelmed,

Yasae

Banned
I definitely explored a lot in ACIV but the side content wasn't any more interesting than say Far Cry 3 side content. The assassination contracts were never too interesting to me and I did a whole lot of em but they felt like just putting a marker over a random npc on the island to easily kill. Also any failure at stealth didn't lead to any problems because the execution combos were still in full effect. In Unity there are free form assassinations and I think they incentivize stealth more than ever. Even when I've reasonably upgraded Arno so far I'm still fleeing from fights when I see I'll get overwhelmed,
Yeah I have to take back my "too easy" statement. The game will crush you if there's enough enemies on-screen, they're of a large variety, and they're above your star rating. I've died over 15 times to fights I started which were too difficult for me. And I like that about this game.

For small encounters it goes a little in reverse, but anything more and you have to be careful. If we look closer at the overall design, the game allows you to approach many situations uniquely but will slap the ruler across your hand and really show its fangs if you think you're the best assassin ever. You'd think with all these cool techniques and items - phantom blades, double assassinations, smoke bombs etc - that you'd be really overpowered. I don't feel that way in the more rough and tumble districts.

The PS4 framerate certainly feels better than it did on Tuesday. However, it's still choppy at times, but then again, the better framerate might just be in my head.

The Companion app patch fixed my 0 assassins issue and the app now runs MUCH smoother on my galaxy s4 (even though it was already mostly smooth). The PC patch also seems to have helped my fps a bit but might be a placebo effect. I'm not going to run fraps to see :p haha.

That's a good start to helping to fix some of this Ubisoft, and quick as well.

Top Bottom