• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed Unity |OT| Liberté, égalité, parité

Seems a bit to similar to the Paris setting. Especially if this prospective game was coming next year, the same year that will see the release of The Order 1886 (Victorian London setting with some light steampunk aesthetics) and Bloodborne (nightmarish Victorian-inspired setting).

Damn it.

:(

I'd love to see the AC take on Victorian-era London. Jack the Ripper, industrialization, all that jazz. Doing just one city but making it super-detailed and just plain alive was a good design choice and breath of fresh air for me. It's just cool. It's a shame about the frame rate, but the concept is great.

Oh, idea: The main villain of a London-set AC is actually a mysterious cult with ties to Jack the Ripper that the Assassin protagonist must investigate. Make it a conflict totally divorced from the Templars and turn into a 'From Hell' esque conspiracy thriller that goes all the way to the top.

Corpekata

Banned
I don't know if I want a giant city again. I think part of the appeal of Unity for me has been sort of that return to form thing, since the last few games have been so spread out, and the big cities thing got really played out by the end of the Ezio era. So I'd like them to continue sort of bouncing around, at least if they are determined to release a game every year.

Exactly. Cherry bombs replace whistles. You can throw them, but you have a limited amount.

Agreed, that mechanic works, and I'm really enjoying the game. It just stands out to me when previous 'signature' features are removed with no fiction to support that they're suddenly not there. Just be like "In some areas, whistling will alert everyone because they know that's what Assassins do" or something. But let me whistle to attract those criminal scrubs on the street, or do side things.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
I always kind of liked the AC1 and 2 method of having several smaller cities. Less so 3 and Black Flag, since Boston and New York looked identical (the wilderness was kind of cool, but very empty, and the homestead was just like the wilderness but with your house included) and the various Carribean cities and towns were pretty similar as well. It was more like tens of tiny settlements rather than several small cities.

I thought 2's various Italian locales were excellent at being very distinct from one another and marking specific points in the story. One of the reasons I didn't like Brotherhood so much was the singular big city setting.

Oh, idea: The main villain of a London-set AC is actually a mysterious cult with ties to Jack the Ripper that the Assassin protagonist must investigate. Make it a conflict totally divorced from the Templars and turn into a 'From Hell' esque conspiracy thriller that goes all the way to the top.
Plot twist: You Are Jack the Ripper, the prostitutes you killed were templar agents who sought to gain secrets when hired by the rich and powerful.

The huge vilification of him and the reason he's so famous is because of the Templars.

Bricky

I somehow parkoured down inside a structure just now and got stuck. I'm usually pretty lucky when it comes to avoiding bugs and problems in releases that are said to be ridden them but Unity reaaaaaaally needed like a month or two extra development time. They did it the same with Watch_Dogs (which still sold millions) and they could've used some of the marketing budget for Far Cry 4, so I don't see why it would've been a problem even from a business perspective.

Oh well, let's hope some significant patches are on the way.

Paasei

Things the next AC game needs:

- Another charming protagonist like Arno
- Another huge, detailed city ala Paris. I'm hoping for Victorian London. Paris looks so gorgeous, I can't wait to see what a foggy, twilight London would look like.
- Return of the Murder Mysteries. Those are actually cool.
- Even deeper character customization. More colour choices, more clothing. I actually fucking love this. Only problem is a ton is still locked for me :/
- The animations as they are, are so damned beautiful. They can only improve them, haha.
- MORE RIFTS! I want that to be, like, a key component of the game in some fashion.
- Either improve the modern day stuff and give us an actual proper plot and character to play as or ditch it. Please.
- Streamlining. Too many icons on the screen. There needs to be a simplified way of presenting all this information.
- Return of the Hidden Blades as a usable weapon in combat. I miss that :(

Maybe some decision making of your own? Do you want to follow the path of a Templar or Assassin?

As long as they actually get different gameplay and missions, instead of just killing the opposite faction the exact same way, it could be cool I think.
As for the setting there are a few things in mind I would really love to "visit".

3 periods/settings that I would find amazing(The French Revolution was actually on this list before Unity got announced):
- Industrial Revolution. Pick a place where this was the most interesting. (loads of missions in giant steam driven factories etc).
- The Great War (WWI). Might be a bit tricky to justify blades and swords here, but I do believe this could be very interesting.
- Dutch Golden Age. Me being Dutch has a lot to do with this decision, naturally. At least this could also be a good place to bring back naval combat/trading because of the VoC.

For the rest I wouldn't really know. Still waiting for my order of Unity(PS4) to arrive, sadly.
Can't complain though, seeing the price it costed. It will arrive between next Tuesday and Friday.

ZeroX03

Banned
There are actually some really nice looking areas in the outskirts of Paris, the more township like areas with rivers. It's a shame that almost every mission takes place in a big mansion and you don't visit the more varied areas in story mode.

So even though the game is getting alot of crap thrown at it I'd have to say this is one of my favorite Creed games. I haven't played many thouigh, Four being my first real creed game.

So yeah. Hope they can deal with the performance somehow. It's bullshit.

So, I decided to bite the bullet on this game to see how it would run on my PC. Luckily, it runs beautifully and looks stunning while doing so.

I'm also enjoying this one more than all the others I've played before.

Has anyone done a side quest called Flying Boy? Its the last one I need to complete, but its not showing up on my menu. Its in the progress tracker, and I can choose to track it, but it doesnt mark anything on my menu.

Truant

So even though the game is getting alot of crap thrown at it I'd have to say this is one of my favorite Creed games. I haven't played many thouigh, Four being my first real creed game.

So yeah. Hope they can deal with the performance somehow. It's bullshit.

Agreed. The game is fantastic, aside from the obvious technical issues. The problem with AC games is that you really need that consistent framerate for the exploration to work properly.

VodevilX

Banned
This game is AMAZING! Just wow! I literally walked around for an hour after Paris opened up. I did not enjoy any other episode this much.
Such a shame for technical difficulties tough, they should've properly finished it first... I don't even get, what were they thinking?! Fortunately my only problem is the crazy draw distance...

DOWN

Banned
Worse and worse tech disappointment as I go. I am really bothered by the frame rate and now keep encountering bad LOD in some areas and climbing bugs.

Has anyone done a side quest called Flying Boy? Its the last one I need to complete, but its not showing up on my menu. Its in the progress tracker, and I can choose to track it, but it doesnt mark anything on my menu.

It's on the western edge of Faubourg Saint-Germain in the Le Quartier Latin district. Almost right on top of the viewpoint/fast travel.

Edit: To be a little more specific, it's slightly north of the viewpoint.

I really hope they can fix the performance, as a fan of every ac game so far this really reminds me if ac2 which is by far my favourite. Will pick it up as soon as they resolve those issues .

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
I was hit with bugs and framerate issues Friday but yesterday everything was smooth, strange.
It is a shame Ubisoft didn't push for 1080p on PS4, it's a beautiful game and that extra sharpness would be a warm welcome.
I actually feel sorry for people who cancelled their pre-order and aren't giving this a shot, even with it's bugs like everyone else has said it probably my Favourite AC since ACIII( ACII if you're one of those who hate ACIII)

Well I just hit a game breaking bug. In the king of beggars assassination mission, when you get into the catacombs and get as far as the cutscene where the guy with the glasses tells the king of beggars an assassin is coming for him, I can get past that and a bit further on, but you get to a part where the guy with the glasses is waiting on the other side of a sewer grate, as soon as I get near him, he glitches through the floor, Arno gets stuck in a slow walk animation, and even if I slow walk to where the king is, the game freezes, like arno is stuck, all npcs are stuck, yet I can move the camera and access the menu. Fucks sake, Ubi

Nemesis_

I was hit with bugs and framerate issues Friday but yesterday everything was smooth, strange.
It is a shame Ubisoft didn't push for 1080p on PS4, it's a beautiful game and that extra sharpness would be a warm welcome.
I actually feel sorry for people who cancelled their pre-order and aren't giving this a shot, even with it's bugs like everyone else has said it probably my Favourite AC since ACIII( ACII if you're one of those who hate ACIII)

The game can barely handle whatever resolution it's running at now.....and you want it to up it just so it can look prettier but run like shit?

smh

and AC3 is your favourite.......is this real life

Ushay

Damn it.

:(

I'd love to see the AC take on Victorian-era London. Jack the Ripper, industrialization, all that jazz. Doing just one city but making it super-detailed and just plain alive was a good design choice and breath of fresh air for me. It's just cool. It's a shame about the frame rate, but the concept is great.

I second this, AC is being held back by sticking to the older time periods. Black Flag breathed some new life into the game, but I doubt this will happen again unless they introduced another mechanic. Don't get me wrong, Unity is an absolutely beautiful game to look at, but the story and gameplay need to be upto the same level.

I think London would be an incredible setting. But more than anything else, Ubisoft NEED to get the story back on track. It makes no god damn sense anymore and there is no investment in chracter growth since Ezio. I think people are finding less reasons to care about the plot.

China and Japan would also be a great setting to have introducing new stealth mechanics, perhaps true stealth at night time (day/night cycle) and somesort of close quarter martial arts.

The series also needs a difficulty slider, its just too damn easy. Almost a joke to play through.

Nemesis_

I second this, AC is being held back by sticking to the older time periods. Black Flag breathed some new life into the game, but I doubt this will happen again unless they introduced another mechanic. Don't get me wrong, Unity is an absolutely beautiful game to look at, but the story and gameplay need to be upto the same level.

I think London would be an incredible setting. But more than anything else, Ubisoft NEED to get the story back on track. It makes no god damn sense anymore and there is no investment in chracter growth since Ezio. I think people are finding less reasons to care about the plot.

China and Japan would also be a great setting to have introducing new stealth mechanics, perhaps true stealth at night time (day/night cycle) and somesort of close quarter martial arts.

The series also needs a difficulty slider, its just too damn easy. Almost a joke to play through.

I really need an asian setting and I am so surprised it has taken this long to even think about it. What are they doing?

As for difficulty, I actually feel like Unity was a bit more difficult than the other games, but I'm nowhere near finishing it so maybe it gets easier as I unlock more

I haven't got this game yet as I am waiting for some patches but I think once they are done with the French Revolution setting, I could see the War of the Roses being quite interesting as it could offer loads of new gameplay ideas, Knights, jousting, etc

zkorejo

Game looks amazing. I took some screencaps yesterday but they looked a bit blurry on my pc. I resized them sharpened them a bit, looks much closer to how it looked on my screen.

BCHiLVU.jpg

dIAhhiF.jpg

Kp7K3gk.jpg

R4JasGL.jpg

LPQpIhV.jpg

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
The game can barely handle whatever resolution it's running at now.....and you want it to up it just so it can look prettier but run like shit?

smh

and AC3 is your favourite.......is this real life
No its a shame it isn't 1080p, not they should do bump it up regardless, theres a difference
And yes ACII,Brotherhood and ACIII are the best in the series, ACII and III are the best and ACIV is probably the worst after AC1 and Rev,
ACIII also has the best main Theme score in the series not to mention the combat and x to awesome are the best the series has had.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=iCbw9pRbMgQ
deal with it.

tom-cruise-sunglasses.gif

Nitemare1

So is none of the initiates stuff working yet?
I bought it this weekend to play with some friends and so far am pretty disappointed with the state of this thing. I figured at least i'd work on getting the black flag armour for multiplayer but for what ever reason Uplay thinks I haven't played any of the other AC games. They are all listed as having No Data.

Frillen

Beat the game last night. Definitely a great experience for the most part. Beware though, performance takes a HUGE hit during the last sequence. Like seriously, they need to patch that.

I've also completed all the Rifts, Social Club missions and Enigmas, along with being equipped with Legendary stuff only. Looking forward to do some of the Paris stories missions and the murder stories.

Marco1

Still can't access chemical revolution on UK store, I also signed up for goodies off uplay last week and still waiting on those.
Between halo MCC and this my hype for these new consoles is dying.

Ledhead

Having issues with the stupid app, and the initiate profile seems to be full of coming soon stuff. Ah well, there is more than enough in the base game.

Mogwai

Roaming Versailles is so nice. Much better than Paris.

If Ubisoft had just kept the NPCs in Paris at the same proportions as in Versailles, it would have been a much nicer experience instead of the slideshow it is right now :/

GrazGamer

No its a shame it isn't 1080p, not they should do bump it up regardless, theres a difference
And yes ACII,Brotherhood and ACIII are the best in the series, ACII and III are the best and ACIV is probably the worst after AC1 and Rev,
ACIII also has the best main Theme score in the series not to mention the combat and x to awesome are the best the series has had.
deal with it.

I actually agree with all this, IV is much better than I and Rev though.

When they announced the Free Run Up/Down stuff I was so sure that this was going to be the game where they'd finally fix the parkour, but it feels like they screwed it up at the last minute. It sounded perfect in the previews: you'd hold X to climb stuff, hold Circle to get down off stuff, and R2 would just be a plain old Sprint button, completely untethered from climbing. Unfortunately, it turns out that Sprinting and Climbing are still intrinsically linked, and there's still no way to just run around the city without accidentally climbing up on every box and table or jumping into every haycart you were trying to run past.

Free Run Down makes a huge difference, and the insane superhuman jumps you can make with Free Run Up are awesome, too, but if they'd just make R2 a plain old, tried and true, simple and easy run button I feel like they'd solve 99% of the problems with AC's parkour.

Spent the whole day today doing Murder Mysteries and Paris Stories, and I do enjoy this game in spite of all its flaws. I'm up to Chapter 7 in the story and I Arno really hasn't made an impression on me yet. He's mostly just a bad English accent on legs at this point, pining over a love interest because she's the only character in the game whose hair doesn't look terrible. He's certainly no Ezio, for as hard as they're trying to paint him as one. The whole story's just kind of a trifle, in fact; I can't take anything seriously when it's delivered in coarse, regional English accents that randomly break out into perfect French. "Come on, Pisspot, tell me about Le Roi de Thunes". I can't imagine why Ubisoft didn't just go with French accents.

Cavalier

Banned
I gotta be honest with you folks, I fell asleep playing this game yesterday. It looks nice but it's very boring. Does the story pick up after my first assassination assignment?

Alienous

I spent today and yesterday mostly just doing side quests and exploring.

Things the next AC game needs:

- Another charming protagonist like Arno
- Another huge, detailed city ala Paris. I'm hoping for Victorian London. Paris looks so gorgeous, I can't wait to see what a foggy, twilight London would look like.
- Return of the Murder Mysteries. Those are actually cool.
- Even deeper character customization. More colour choices, more clothing. I actually fucking love this. Only problem is a ton is still locked for me :/
- The animations as they are, are so damned beautiful. They can only improve them, haha.
- MORE RIFTS! I want that to be, like, a key component of the game in some fashion.
- Either improve the modern day stuff and give us an actual proper plot and character to play as or ditch it. Please.
- Streamlining. Too many icons on the screen. There needs to be a simplified way of presenting all this information.
- Return of the Hidden Blades as a usable weapon in combat. I miss that :(

While the Assassin/Templar conflict is the overriding thing, I hope the next one does some kind of tweak on it. Maybe push that conflict into the background and throw in a third party to screw everything up.

Only if there are French accents.

Cavalier

Banned
I haven't really dipped into the side missions at all yet, but are they decently varied? Are some of them non-combat?

From some of what I've played. They were a chore to do. For instance, I had to protect a widow from being attacked by random people but it's really cheaply made mission. I would walk with her very slowly and then she would take out her weapon, then enemies will come out of nowhere. Walk again, enemies come out, kill. Rinse and repeat until you get to the destination.

I did another one where I was fetching heads of executed people from lockers. Get the keys. Unlock. Get the heads. Return.

Carbonox

deal with it.

I like you. AC3 is one my favs as well. Absolutely loved the setting and combat. AC4, AC3 and AC2 are the high points of the series for me in various ways.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I didn't expect to say this but I think this is the best AC campaign I've played. What they've done with the interior spaces (i.e. actually make some) makes a HUGE difference in campaign mission design. AC to me used to feel like a giant lego village with nothing actually on the inside of every building. It made it a feel like a giant hollow city. Having such developed interiors does wonders for what the designers can do. Robust stealth missions (with actual stealth controls now, thankyougod), better encounter design, some interesting interior platforming...

...there were some nice pieces in AC2 and Brotherhood but nothing in 3 and 4 was the worst for this since almost the entire game took place outside (and the stealth amounted to atrocious tailing and hiding in bushes gameplay). This is really great.

And the graphics. Goddam.

Shame the performance is trashola.

The one thing I would say is that I don't feel yet like they've done a good job of exploiting the French revolution. The game basically starts with the Bastille front and center, and since then I don't feel like there's been much of a revolution going on. Maybe it becomes a bigger plot issue as time goes on. But so far in sequence 5, aside from some large crowds in some spots, it doesn't feel right.

cackhyena

Nobody. Ever. Helps. Downed. Ever.

I've played around 8 missions in COOP, and not one person ever tried to help a downed person. Also, nobody seems to use a mic. I use mine, but can't really confirm if they're hearing me or not. Still fun, and plenty of possibility.
I'm not playing with randoms. Just a buddy, so we revive when we can. Such a blast.

Top Bottom