• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed Unity |OT| Liberté, égalité, parité

Does anyone know how to consistently do a jump climb? I've gotten to where I just hammer A (cross) until he does it.

I think he'll only do it when you actually have something to jump climb onto. You can't do it on cue any more like you used to be able to.

I've found Arno to be a really finicky climber. Sometimes he climbs so fast you'd think he was just running straight up the wall, but pretty often he just stops dead and won't budge until you go back down and find a different way up. I've had a few really frustrating moments where he wouldn't go up or down, because it seems like if you're too high up the game won't let you just drop any more. Parkour is more automated than ever in Unity, which is fine when everything's working well but infuriating when you get stuck. Free Run Down is a fantastic new addition, but it could definitely use some more polish.

mrndkra

So is anyone else's game not letting them change the time of day? I'll click "night" for example and it'll go to the loading screen only to load morning each and every time. The only time I get any other time of day is if I fast travel to a view point which will make it afternoon.

Spazznid

Just had some of the most fun with a friend in co-op yet this gen. This game isn't without numerous faults, but I'm still really digging it. Much more than I thought I would.

Nobody. Ever. Helps. Downed. Ever.

I've played around 8 missions in COOP, and not one person ever tried to help a downed person. Also, nobody seems to use a mic. I use mine, but can't really confirm if they're hearing me or not. Still fun, and plenty of possibility.

ufo8mycat

I am honestly surprised how they made this game look as good as it does on PS4 - given the type of hardware that is in the console

15614424089_83e4f4d717_b.jpg

15614954027_0ba81f6ba8_b.jpg

PS4 shots I took
Sadly the PS4 screen capture compresses the screens, so they look much more crisp and detailed on the actual TV

And people wonder why the PS4 version runs at the frame rate it does.

Kuldar

How the fuck do we get the full XP reward in coop mission?

Nobody. Ever. Helps. Downed. Ever.

I've played around 8 missions in COOP, and not one person ever tried to help a downed person. Also, nobody seems to use a mic. I use mine, but can't really confirm if they're hearing me or not. Still fun, and plenty of possibility.
I try to help people, but not if they are in the middle of a tons of guards. And since a lot of people play this game as if it was God of War, they"re frequently in the middlo of a tons of guads.

Braag

Why did Ubisoft decide to remove the ability to take a human shield when someone is aiming a gun at you. Now all you can do while being aimed at is to roll around like a monkey and hope they wont hit you.
And why did they remove the ability to move bodies. They add a new stealth mode which is neat but also remove a very essential ability in stealth which is to move bodies...
I mean what the hell were the designers thinking?

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Why did Ubisoft decide to remove the ability to take a human shield when someone is aiming a gun at you. Now all you can do while being aimed at is to roll around like a monkey and hope they wont hit you.
And why did they remove the ability to move bodies. They add a new stealth mode which is neat but also remove a very essential ability in stealth which is to move bodies...

The mainline AssCreed games are churned out as such a quick pace that features/mechanics chop and change. One example: Wanted posters. Present in Brotherhood (and 2); absent in Revelations; present in 3; absent in Black Flag (and Unity).

Corpekata

Banned
I think their servers are coming back online. I suddenly got an Initiates notification in game and finally have access to the online functions on PC. Applied to the Neogaf club. Haven't been able to even look at the clubs in game since launch.

I think it's due to the way they have ten different Ubisoft teams working on every game. The right hand doesn't know what the left hand's doing, and you end up with a really messy game where tooltips pop up on top of eachother and you lose as many mechanics as you gain with each successive game.

nawwafh

Currently in Sequence 6.. gonna give my impressions so far
Playing on PS4.. have played every AC (except Liberation and Rogue)..
Loving the missions so far.. True assassination missions unlike Black Flag.. Also i like how kinda varied the side missions are..
Really enjoying the levelling up as well.. Buying upgrades and really liking how the equipped gear makes changes to ur health, stealth etc..
Combat is way harder now and i like that..

Game is gorgeous at times.. but yeah it doesnt run very well in terms of frame rate..
One thing I dont understand i y they removed the whistling mechanic as well as picking up bodies..

Arno is a great character too.. Ezio is still the best assassin though.. Story is nothing great so far..

Played 2 co-op missions.. nothing special.. but fun nonetheless.. kinda cool seeing other assassins with u while doing the missions..

ZeroX03

Banned
New counter system really falls to pieces when you're in an enclosed space. Can't see shit.

Honestly there's no point in ever going into combat OR stealth killing. Berserk Blade and just wait it out.

Home stretch. 3 trophies left, 92% completion. The yearly tradition of 100% Cod/AC is almost done. Gonna wrap this up in a neat bow just in time for Dragon Age.

have u done sync kills yet?

If anyone is down for doing these let me know, on PS4. I dont have a mic, but should be easy enough with the mark system

Lrrr

Watch Dogs, Valiant Hearts, Child of Light, Rayman, AC4 all had locked framerates that barely fluctuated. And you can add Far Cry 4 to that list as well. This game is the exception when it comes to Ubisoft game performance on next gen so far, not the rule.

Ridiculous. A game can have a good framerate and still be poorly optimized in other areas.

Dahbomb

New counter system really falls to pieces when you're in an enclosed space. Can't see shit.

Honestly there's no point in ever going into combat OR stealth killing. Berserk Blade and just wait it out.
You don't have enough Berserk Blades to clear out numerous packs in the game. One guy that gets mind controlled isn't going to clear the whole map for you.

Braag

The mainline AssCreed games are churned out as such a quick pace that features/mechanics chop and change. One example: Wanted posters. Present in Brotherhood (and 2); absent in Revelations; present in 3; absent in Black Flag (and Unity).

I think it's due to the way they have ten different Ubisoft teams working on every game. The right hand doesn't know what the left hand's doing, and you end up with a really messy game where tooltips pop up on top of eachother and you lose as many mechanics as you gain with each successive game.

Hear hear.
I wonder if they're gonna skip a year now that Unity had a pretty terrible launch..

...I like to dream.

kyser73

I'm really stuck with buying this.

On one hand I read people calling it dogshit & others saying it's playable.

I really enjoy the series & think I'd get more out of this than say, Dragon Age, simply because family commitments make me shy away from the 100+ hours I'd need to put into DA:I

BUT

all the negativity is bugging me.

I guess my question would be - is the framerate & input lag worse than the PS3 Creeds got?

Fantastical

Death Prophet

YES! FUCK THIS! I honestly cannot believe that this is in the game. I can understand the numerous graphical bugs and stuff before I can understand this. Just absolutely crazy that it didn't get fixed. It seems like it'd be so easy and it's such an obvious problem.

ZeroX03

Banned
I guess my question would be - is the framerate & input lag worse than the PS3 Creeds got?

Yes, but honestly not by a whole lot, especially after patches and playing offline.

My recommendation is you should still wait on this game. More time for fixes and the like.

NicoLeNano

Neo Member
Imo it's a bit better than AC2 on PS3 (playing AC Unity on PS4). But I understand why the framerate is not really accurate when I see the gorgeous visuals of the game.

I'm totally in love with the game.
I just played a investigation mission called "The assassination of Marat". The fun fact is that every students in France know the name of the murderer... First time my History lessons help me in a video game :)

woen

Has anyone gotten the katana? Is it worth getting?

Yep. The 25K weapons are clearly a step forward from the 5K ones, especially with the 25% boost. The snake saber looks better with Arno's tailored outfit (the long one we can see in the CGI trailers) though.

kyser73

Yes, but honestly not by a whole lot, especially after patches and playing offline.

My recommendation is you should still wait on this game. More time for fixes and the like.

Imo it's a bit better than AC2 on PS3 (playing AC Unity on PS4). But I understand why the framerate is not really accurate when I see the gorgeous visuals of the game.

I'm totally in love with the game.
I just played a investigation mission called "The assassination of Marat". The fun fact is that every students in France know the name of the murderer... First time my History lessons help me in a video game :)

Thanks for the replies guys.

Ahhh, I think I can wear AC2 level FPS if the pretties really are as pretty as the shots above.

Yoday

Thanks for the replies guys.

Ahhh, I think I can wear AC2 level FPS if the pretties really are as pretty as the shots above.
I would say the average fps is about on par with AC2, but it definitely dips far lower at times than AC2 ever did. For the vast majority of the game it completely playable though. It's one of those things where if you can wait for a few more patches to drop, do so, but if you have to play it right now, you won't have a terrible experience or anything.

YES! FUCK THIS! I honestly cannot believe that this is in the game. I can understand the numerous graphical bugs and stuff before I can understand this. Just absolutely crazy that it didn't get fixed. It seems like it'd be so easy and it's such an obvious problem.

They just update the live blog with a preview for patch 3 and this is going to be address. All the details here.

http://assassinscreed.ubi.com/en-US....aspx?c=tcm:152-184758-16&ct=tcm:148-76770-32

Such a dumb problem to have, they should have just released Rogue this year and hit Unity next summer.

I'm using it. It doesn't deviate much from rest of the one handed swords. The animations are all same as rapiers, it's pretty powerful though, most enemies go down with 1-2 hits.

Yep. The 25K weapons are clearly a step forward from the 5K ones, especially with the 25% boost. The snake saber looks better with Arno's tailored outfit (the long one we can see in the CGI trailers) though.

Sounds good then, gonna go for it

So anyone else upset that the two E3 mission appear nowhere in the game and feature things that also don't appear? None of the coop missions are as consistently cinematic as that one and crowds are never reactive at all in the game, besides one instance involving a food stand. Watching it again I'm convinced it was fake. They went in and scripted things that they hoped would be in release but time constants couldn't allow.. I feel the mission was concept art in some respect. I really want to play the game shown at E3, because(besides environments and mechanics) the fact is that's not the game we got, not even close.

For reference
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A9UbtVWTr2c

have u done sync kills yet?

If anyone is down for doing these let me know, on PS4. I dont have a mic, but should be easy enough with the mark system

Yeah sorry, I already got that through regular coop play.

So I just beat the game

felt more like a revenge game rather than a AC game. You kill final boss and suddenly you are master assassin? wut. They expelled you from being an assassin.

also credits have a fast forward button

B2iw4bQIYAAWsOQ.jpg

For me, yes, but the last AC game I played on PS3 was Revelations so I don't know if 3 and 4 were worse. Unity has the worst framerate I've experienced in a console game since that one Captain America movie tie-in game on the 360; it's quite literally always below 30FPS. I did a multiplayer mission that regularly dropped into slideshow territory.

Assassin's Creed games have never performed particularly well on consoles, but this is on another level altogether. This is a game that by all rights should have been delayed into 2015; it feels like a $60 beta test. I'd strongly recommend against buying it until Ubisoft patches the framerate (if they even can).

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod

They removed the human shield feature because it goes against their aim to make combat more challenging. It was badass sure, defend yourself and get one enemy to dispose of the other for you, but it was also really simple. Now when someone aims at you during combat, you have to think and prioritize the gunman. Is he close enough for you to attack? Are there any nearby objects that can break his line-of-sight? Should you throw a smoke-bomb or try to quick-shot him? Should you just roll around like a monkey? All this while dealing with any other combatants. It's hard, but doable, and forces you to think on your feet rather than defaulting to the simple Move to Enemy --> Magically Override Defenses and Grab Enemy --> Let Enemy be Killed Instantly by One Gunshot Wound Because it Came from his Ally

Also, maybe Arno just isn't proficient enough to grab someone like that? I don't know about Edward, but Connor was a big guy. Arno doesn't seem to do much grabbing in any of his combat. Not all assassins have the same skills.

As for the bodies, while it doesn't make that much sense not to be able to hide them in close-quarter sneaking missions, in most cases, it's just another body on the street. Guards overall are less excited by dead bodies than they are in previous games. Where you can, use low-profile cover assassinations and you'll hide bodies. Where you can't, you just have to work quickly or try to integrate a dead body as a lure. Moving bodies always seemed pretty clunky in previous assassin's creeds, and rarely--if ever--ended up being worth the effort to me. Plus there were lots of times when I was trying to grab a weapon or loot a body and ended up heaving the body over my shoulders instead. A lot of Unity's design seems geared towards making the game a tighter experience. Kind of the opposite of Assassin's Creed III which was full of bloat features that had no reason to be used outside of novelty, and novelty tends to wear off fast.

Corpekata

Banned
Human shield, while cool looking, was pretty easy to cheese, and it really cemented that "stand around and wait for the assassin to finish his business" style to fights.

I think, as others have said, part of it is just they want to make things tougher, and part because they want to encourage more cautious and stealthy approaches.

I do think they probably have made some of the sniper's field of visions a little ridiculous though, and could use a bit of toning down.

Creaking

Red, blue and gold chests as well?

Initiates isn't working, so that would be impossible.

I do think they probably have made some of the sniper's field of visions a little ridiculous though, and could use a bit of toning down.

Their ability to rapidly adjust aim and hit right on target is what's ridiculous. I'm clinging onto the side of a building with a guy training his pistol/rifle on me, and suddenly I drop down. After I've fallen a good five feet and am still in mid-air he fires and hits me. I've also been shot through fairly thick crowds by gunmen on ground level. I've also been shot in mid mad-hop-around-the-corner. It's ridiculous.

HOLY MOTHER!

I just started playing this tonight on PS4.

DAT FRAMERATE!!!!

They gotta issue a hotfix like YESTERDAY!!!!!

Seriously, this is more choppy than the water in the Bermuda Triangle.

HOLY MOTHER!

I just started playing this tonight on PS4.

DAT FRAMERATE!!!!

They gotta issue a hotfix like YESTERDAY!!!!!

Seriously, this is more choppy than the water in the Bermuda Triangle.

It's terrible, ruins the game for me. Framerate fix isn't even in their 3rd patch, I have a feeling we won't get one for a bit.

In 6/7 hours with the game I saw just a bunch of dip here and there, not too tragic, nothing that make the game unplayable.

The strange thing is that drop in frame rate seems to appear not when the scene is more demanding, but when the game try to reconnect to the crappy server and in some random places. Why the game stutter inside a church and not in the middle of 300 citizen that run and scream?

Btw, so far so good, I actually really impressed by the game.
As a gamer I actually accept bug and glitch in exchange of some revolution

They removed the human shield feature because it goes against their aim to make combat more challenging. It was badass sure, defend yourself and get one enemy to dispose of the other for you, but it was also really simple. Now when someone aims at you during combat, you have to think and prioritize the gunman. Is he close enough for you to attack? Are there any nearby objects that can break his line-of-sight? Should you throw a smoke-bomb or try to quick-shot him? Should you just roll around like a monkey? All this while dealing with any other combatants. It's hard, but doable, and forces you to think on your feet rather than defaulting to the simple Move to Enemy --> Magically Override Defenses and Grab Enemy --> Let Enemy be Killed Instantly by One Gunshot Wound Because it Came from his Ally

Also, maybe Arno just isn't proficient enough to grab someone like that? I don't know about Edward, but Connor was a big guy. Arno doesn't seem to do much grabbing in any of his combat. Not all assassins have the same skills.

As for the bodies, while it doesn't make that much sense not to be able to hide them in close-quarter sneaking missions, in most cases, it's just another body on the street. Guards overall are less excited by dead bodies than they are in previous games. Where you can, use low-profile cover assassinations and you'll hide bodies. Where you can't, you just have to work quickly or try to integrate a dead body as a lure. Moving bodies always seemed pretty clunky in previous assassin's creeds, and rarely--if ever--ended up being worth the effort to me. Plus there were lots of times when I was trying to grab a weapon or loot a body and ended up heaving the body over my shoulders instead. A lot of Unity's design seems geared towards making the game a tighter experience. Kind of the opposite of Assassin's Creed III which was full of bloat features that had no reason to be used outside of novelty, and novelty tends to wear off fast.

Yes but there is no cutscene explaining how Arno is one of those rare totured souls who can't whistle. Or how he's too polite to "gently push" the 5,000 NPC's in his path.

I get it though, and I agree that the removal of the bullet shield makes the combat more challenging. I'm torn, because I like the challenge. But it was also fun to be almost invincible, like we were in Black Flag. Killing hundreds of guys was super easy right from the get-go. It's two different kinds of fun that are completely at odds with one another. One is fun because it shows how effortlessly badass your guy is, the other is fun because it requires some of your own skill to actually be badass and not get hit.

The bodies thing, seems pretty moot really. I agree that moving them did next to nothing in the past. This series was never Hitman. In this game it's no different. It feels better to be clean about it is all. There was a mission where I had to assassinate a guy in a church, and was forced to kill a guard to get into position. The target checked out the body for a few seconds then just came within range anyway. After the cutscene the body had vanished. Hidden!

Human shield, while cool looking, was pretty easy to cheese, and it really cemented that "stand around and wait for the assassin to finish his business" style to fights.

I think, as others have said, part of it is just they want to make things tougher, and part because they want to encourage more cautious and stealthy approaches.

The combat is still easy to cheese with a heavy weapon, potions, and smoke though. I can kill 10-15 5 diamond enemies with ease. I feel removeing hostage was a lazy move. It could have been reworked to fit the system by wounding the enemy, and having him elbow out making you vulnerable for a very brief window.

I'm all for making your assassin more fragile, but gunshots and other attacks coming from off-screen with no warning is pure bullshit. Especially when the camera is so frequently out of your control due to all the cinematic finisher animations; a guy that used to be on-screen can slide out of frame without any warning. Enemies can start their attacks off-screen and you won't even know about it until they've dashed in and run you through with a sword. There are audio cues, but they're too hard to pick up when everyone else in the fight is yelling about how they're going to show you your guts and a hundred NPCs are screaming and running away.

That Captain America game had a good way of dealing with bullets coming from off-screen. There was an easily-visible indicator that pointed in the direction the shot was coming from, two parallel lines that closed in on eachother as the enemy was about to take his shot, so you could always tell when a shot was coming and exactly when you needed to block or dodge it. Unity tries something similar with that crosshair icon that turns bright red, but you never quite know exactly when it's as bright as it's going to get, and it's easily lost in a crowd of other almost-identical red square icons. It's just poor UI work and combat design; the mechanics aren't challenging so much as just kind of half-baked and unfair.

Corpekata

Banned
Whistle I think was simply nixed because of the environments in the games. A lot of Black Flag takes place is open areas where you're needing to hide in bushes and don't have near the level of cover in the games that take place in giant cities.

And I think it was partially nixed because it was a bit stupidly overpowered. I barely used any of my tools in Black Flag because it was so simple and effective.

Creaking

And I think it was partially nixed because it was a bit stupidly overpowered. I barely used any of my tools in Black Flag because it was so simple and effective.

Exactly. Cherry bombs replace whistles. You can throw them, but you have a limited amount.

It's terrible, ruins the game for me. Frame rate fix isn't even in their 3rd patch, I have a feeling we won't get one for a bit.

Yeah this worries me. Whilst they still said they are looking for a fix it makes me think it will be put in the background and hope everyone forgets about it.

It really ruins the flow of Assassins Creed and I find it really difficult to Parkour at times when it drops into slideshow territory. Because of the frame rate it's difficult to time things in co op too. Ending up in getting caught as I can't turn around quick enough to notice people etc. It's horrid. I really, really, really hope they can stabilise it somewhat. Because it is an amazing game underneath these issues.

I spent today and yesterday mostly just doing side quests and exploring.

Things the next AC game needs:

- Another charming protagonist like Arno
- Another huge, detailed city ala Paris. I'm hoping for Victorian London. Paris looks so gorgeous, I can't wait to see what a foggy, twilight London would look like.
- Return of the Murder Mysteries. Those are actually cool.
- Even deeper character customization. More colour choices, more clothing. I actually fucking love this. Only problem is a ton is still locked for me :/
- The animations as they are, are so damned beautiful. They can only improve them, haha.
- MORE RIFTS! I want that to be, like, a key component of the game in some fashion.
- Either improve the modern day stuff and give us an actual proper plot and character to play as or ditch it. Please.
- Streamlining. Too many icons on the screen. There needs to be a simplified way of presenting all this information.
- Return of the Hidden Blades as a usable weapon in combat. I miss that :(

While the Assassin/Templar conflict is the overriding thing, I hope the next one does some kind of tweak on it. Maybe push that conflict into the background and throw in a third party to screw everything up.

Creaking

I spent today and yesterday mostly just doing side quests and exploring.

Things the next AC game needs:

- Another charming protagonist like Arno
- Another huge, detailed city ala Paris. I'm hoping for Victorian London. Paris looks so gorgeous, I can't wait to see what a foggy, twilight London would look like.
- Return of the Murder Mysteries. Those are actually cool.
- Even deeper character customization. More colour choices, more clothing. I actually fucking love this. Only problem is a ton is still locked for me :/
- The animations as they are, are so damned beautiful. They can only improve them, haha.
- MORE RIFTS! I want that to be, like, a key component of the game in some fashion.
- Either improve the modern day stuff and give us an actual proper plot and character to play as or ditch it. Please.
- Streamlining. Too many icons on the screen. There needs to be a simplified way of presenting all this information.
- Return of the Hidden Blades as a usable weapon in combat. I miss that :(

Seems a bit to similar to the Paris setting. Especially if this prospective game was coming next year, the same year that will see the release of The Order 1886 (Victorian London setting with some light steampunk aesthetics) and Bloodborne (nightmarish Victorian-inspired setting).

Top Bottom