• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed Unity |OT| Liberté, égalité, parité

ZeroX03

Banned
Robust stealth missions (with actual stealth controls now, thankyougod).

I'm not sure if I can agree with that. Stealth has barely been improved and at times it feels like a downgrade. Low profile does next to nothing. Cover is very inconsistent with when it wants to work, just like assassinations now. Smoke bombing and quickly running up to each enemy seems a lot more effective. Or you know, Berserk Blade spamming.

cackhyena

I'm not sure if I can agree with that. Stealth has barely been improved and at times it feels like a downgrade. Low profile does next to nothing. Cover is very inconsistent with when it wants to work, just like assassinations now. Smoke bombing and quickly running up to each enemy seems a lot more effective. Or you know, Berserk Blade spamming.
The options of how to tackle your prey gave never been this sandboxy, though. AC1 came the closest. In that way, Hugging corners is glitchy, but effective enough for interior missions. Major improvement is needed, but it's definitely better than past games for me. Wish they could just implement the stealth controls from Watch Dogs. Those weren't perfect, but for open world? Pretty damn serviceable.

SeanR1221

I didn't expect to say this but I think this is the best AC campaign I've played. What they've done with the interior spaces (i.e. actually make some) makes a HUGE difference in campaign mission design. AC to me used to feel like a giant lego village with nothing actually on the inside of every building. It made it a feel like a giant hollow city. Having such developed interiors does wonders for what the designers can do. Robust stealth missions (with actual stealth controls now, thankyougod), better encounter design, some interesting interior platforming...

...there were some nice pieces in AC2 and Brotherhood but nothing in 3 and 4 was the worst for this since almost the entire game took place outside (and the stealth amounted to atrocious tailing and hiding in bushes gameplay). This is really great.

And the graphics. Goddam.

Shame the performance is trashola.

The one thing I would say is that I don't feel yet like they've done a good job of exploiting the French revolution. The game basically starts with the Bastille front and center, and since then I don't feel like there's been much of a revolution going on. Maybe it becomes a bigger plot issue as time goes on. But so far in sequence 5, aside from some large crowds in some spots, it doesn't feel right.

Don't say this, it actually makes me want to get it!!

ZeroX03

Banned
The options of how to tackle your prey gave never been this sandboxy, though. AC1 came the closest. In that way, Hugging corners is glitchy, but effective enough for interior missions. Major improvement is needed, but it's definitely better than past games for me. Wish they could just implement the stealth controls from Watch Dogs. Those weren't perfect, but for open world? Pretty damn serviceable.

I'll give you Watch Dogs was better than this, which is a huge insult toward Unity, ostensibly a stealth game.

That enemies can see straight through crowds regardless of density, and that crouching makes you more suspicious in said crowds is really bad design. Also enemies were dumb as a post in past AC games but at least they couldn't see through multiple buildings.

cackhyena

I'll give you Watch Dogs was better than this, which is a huge insult toward Unity, ostensibly a stealth game.

That enemies can see straight through crowds regardless of density, and that crouching makes you more suspicious in said crowds is really bad design. Also enemies were dumb as a post in past AC games but at least they couldn't see through multiple buildings.

That's true. I do hate that shit. If you go low profile in crowds, they should instantly go to yellow icons and search frantically for you. Not have it be like some beacon telling them right where you are. Stealth needs a lot of work still, but I'm glad they are heading the direction they are, at least.

d9b

Banned
I was hit with bugs and framerate issues Friday but yesterday everything was smooth, strange.
It is a shame Ubisoft didn't push for 1080p on PS4, it's a beautiful game and that extra sharpness would be a warm welcome.
I actually feel sorry for people who cancelled their pre-order and aren't giving this a shot, even with it's bugs like everyone else has said it probably my Favourite AC since ACIII( ACII if you're one of those who hate ACIII)
I canceled. I still want to play it (ps4) but I'll wait until they patch, update and fix as much as they can... If they can.
Can't (don't want to) put up with pop-in and slideshow. I hope some significant update will happen soon or I'll just move on.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
I spent today and yesterday mostly just doing side quests and exploring.

Things the next AC game needs:

- Another charming protagonist like Arno
- Another huge, detailed city ala Paris. I'm hoping for Victorian London. Paris looks so gorgeous, I can't wait to see what a foggy, twilight London would look like.
- Return of the Murder Mysteries. Those are actually cool.
- Even deeper character customization. More colour choices, more clothing. I actually fucking love this. Only problem is a ton is still locked for me :/
- The animations as they are, are so damned beautiful. They can only improve them, haha.
- MORE RIFTS! I want that to be, like, a key component of the game in some fashion.
- Either improve the modern day stuff and give us an actual proper plot and character to play as or ditch it. Please.
- Streamlining. Too many icons on the screen. There needs to be a simplified way of presenting all this information.
- Return of the Hidden Blades as a usable weapon in combat. I miss that :(

While the Assassin/Templar conflict is the overriding thing, I hope the next one does some kind of tweak on it. Maybe push that conflict into the background and throw in a third party to screw everything up.
Adding to this, it would be great to have more unique kills during blackbox missions. And more opportunities. Sandbox type assassinations are exactly what this series needed and it needs to be expanded on even more.

Corgi

Banned
Phantom blades sure are expensive for how crappy they are. Do I need to head shot for them to one hit kill dudes or something?

I'm actually really enjoying this game. The setting is beautiful, the story arc is good enough for me and the voice acting (I set it to French mode) really adds to the authenticity of the time period.

Yes there are technical hiccups and what not, but honestly, they're not as bad as what I've heard. It's not on "unplayable" level but it does get annoying sometimes.

cackhyena

Phantom blades sure are expensive for how crappy they are. Do I need to head shot for them to one hit kill dudes or something?

Most of the time, yeah.

I'm loving custom hud. Just a few things ticked on, like updates for when needed and waypoint marker. Everything else off is too good.

Randdalf

If you're not planning on playing Assassin's Creed Rogue, but are going to play or have played Unity, you should probably check out Rogue's ending on YouTube.

ZeroX03

Banned

Yeah don't quick shot them, you need to aim. Guns and berserk blades are fine to quick shot although five diamond enemies can resist a shot from an upgraded legendary pistol so watch out.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
They automatically kill low level enemies. Higher level enemies especially brutes need headshots.

Corgi

Banned
Did they just release patch 3 on PC? Mine's patching now.o_O

booted mine up. no update.

which sucks. urge to play but whats the point if I can't upgrade my gear due to the game crashing all the time in menus?

I guess i can just afk in town while my money rakes in.

jackdoe

Against my better judgement, I opened the game and played it for a bit. Ugh. The framerate is absolutely a joke and negatively impacts the gameplay, especially with regards to input lag. And all those bullshit "fixes" for the PS4 including offline and rebuild database are placebos. The offline stuff fixes those one FPS stutters, but that's not what's causing the overall low framerate and subsequently the poor input lag. And the fact that you die so easily in combat makes it worse. I managed to get through AC1 PS3's poor framerate since you had an instakill counter to combat the crappy framerate. End encounters with a press of a button and no headache.

As it stands right now, it is pretty much unplayable for me. And I really feel like Ubi won't do anything about it. Which is a shame since I can at least tell that it probably would have been one of the better AC games to come out in a while had it not been a complete and utter technical mess.

DryvBy

I was having a bit of fun with the game and wasn't experiencing a framerate drops too bad until I did co-op with my cousin. I think I was averaging around 15-20 fps the entire mission. And if I wasn't falling through the ground or clipping through the walls and getting stuck, I was dying in combat because the dips were so bad. I tried to film it but my footage failed.

Is the planned patch going to at least get it to cinematic instead of flip-book?

eso76

it's good
it's bad
it's great
it's atrocious
best looking next gen game
blurry mess
it's the best AC since 2
it's abysmal

guess i'll have to listen to my heart and pick it up at some point.
Meant to do so at launch, but maybe i can wait a couple weeks since there's GTAV downloading.
Hopefully, patches for IQ, resolution and framerate are out by then.

ZeroX03

Banned
it's the best AC since 2
it's abysmal

Best way I can put it is if you're a fan of the ACII trilogy and want more of if and bigger, you'll probably love it. If you prefer III and IV than you probably won't like it as much as Rogue. If you wanted it to be radically different or a huge step forward in gameplay then both games are probably not for you.

Adding to this, it would be great to have more unique kills during blackbox missions. And more opportunities. Sandbox type assassinations are exactly what this series needed and it needs to be expanded on even more.

It was in Part 1, that was when 2 split from the formula. It's amazing that it had to take an entire generation to go back to this approach.

DryvBy

ah bummer. I just got the game with couple of friends and hoped for it to be the whole campaign.

Thanks everyone for the answers!

Same here. I was a bit disappointed the moment I went into co-op. I sort of thought that was one of the big selling points of this game.

it's good
it's bad
it's great
it's atrocious
best looking next gen game
blurry mess
it's the best AC since 2
it's abysmal

guess i'll have to listen to my heart and pick it up at some point.
Meant to do so at launch, but maybe i can wait a couple weeks since there's GTAV downloading.
Hopefully, patches for IQ, resolution and framerate are out by then.

You really need to wait for a framerate patch. Paris runs like absolutely unplayable trash at times. The combat is often thrown off with you dying thanks to drops. That's what I mean by unplayable.

Corgi

Banned
am i stupid or you can't collect your cafe theatre money from the mobile app?

Whats the fucking point then?

I guess you could just remote play your vita from work and collect the dough if you must lol.

Dunan

- Dutch Golden Age. Me being Dutch has a lot to do with this decision, naturally. At least this could also be a good place to bring back naval combat/trading because of the VoC.

China and Japan would also be a great setting to have introducing new stealth mechanics, perhaps true stealth at night time (day/night cycle) and somesort of close quarter martial arts.

I am also of Dutch ancestry and would love to see a game set in the age when Holland was king of sea trading.

I wonder if a game could have Dejima, the Dutch settlement in Nagasaki, worked into the setting. Maybe a Dutchman is the protagonist and it starts off in Holland and then moves to Batavia/Java/Indonesia before getting to Nagasaki. But the Dutch weren't allowed to travel around Japan so much (compared to their Portuguese predecessors around 1600), so a Japan-themed game would be a challenge. Maybe you're a Dutch-speaking Indonesian whose looks don't stand out much in Japan, and you sneak away.

A Portuguese protagonist visiting Macau and southern China in that era would also be a lot of fun, as would a Brit in Hong Kong. I'm not sure I trust Ubi to do the Asian setting well, and we'd miss the tall buildings again, but you never know.

Mogwai

I managed to sync all viewpoints... Now my game seems to be a lot more stuttering. Anybody else who've experienced the same? PS4 version.

ZeroX03

Banned
I managed to sync all viewpoints... Now my game seems to be a lot more stuttering. Anybody else who've experienced the same? PS4 version.

The more I play the worse it gets. Restart the PS4 and disconnect from the Internet for a while, that did the trick to fix hitching for me.

murgo

I really love the game, but I think I'll stop playing until Ubi fixes the terrible framerate. Until then I'll have GTAV to pass the time.

xCobalt

Do additional murder mysteries unlock as you progress? Could only do 2 so far. I toggle tracking for some but they don't show up on the map. Don't see any icons for them either.

M3z_

Played through the game in 2 days and am really conflicted about it. On one hand it was compelling enough to play for 2 days straight until completion, but on the other hand there are just a ton of things I thought held it back, some of those are things previous games have gotten right.

-No more dual hidden blades or hidden blades for combat, why go back?

-Flow of combat severely changed. No more parry into a barrage of insta-kills. Insta-kills did not take skill by any means, but the game's combat is not deep or precise and the insta-kill chaining at least made combat snappy and made you feel powerful. If they wanted to remove that system they should of reworked the combat completely not taken it back to ACII.

-General character control still lacking. Especially with the new window entries. The addition of up or down free running is a nice start to ironing out the character control issues that AC games have, but certainly did not fix it and the addition of opened windows only added to the number of clunky control issues I faced.

-Attaching to cover is super clunky in particular. I really can't understand why attaching the cover requires so much effort. You should hit A(XBO) or X(PS4) and snap to cover with ease, but so many times you do not snap without coming to a complete stop and sometimes the animation is not even clear that you are snapped.

-Enemies with guns, particularly rifles are a real kill joy. Obviously as time moves forward you cannot avoid their prevalence in the series, but there really ought to be more gameplay mechanics around dealing with rifle men. It is so tedious to creep up every building and slowly assassinate each riflemen around an encampment risking being seen due to the lack of good player control only to die and have to do it again. Taking out riflemen should take less time. This is exacerbated by the low number of phantom blades you have because even as you reach further into the endgame and your phantom blades increase so do the number of riflemen you need to take out. I'm not sure what needs to be added to fix this issue, but the tedious pace of taking out riflemen usually leads me to skipping it or half assing it and then getting sniped leading to frustration.

-Looting needs to be faster. I don't understand this. Why must the pace of the game come to a screeching halt to pick up loot. Whats worse is looting is really necessary if you want to restock items without spending money or time going to a seller.

-Games pace identidy is conflicted. So many things in this game seem conflicted between creating systems and gameplay are meant to be slow and methodical ala a Hitman stealth game, vs. a fast paced empowerment fantasy with stealth ala Shadows of Mordor. The problem is the slower Hitman style systems are hampered by the lack of precise control and minimal amounts of ways to kill things creatively. This lack of depth means the feeling of reward to doing something precisely is diminished. The end of memory missions really aped from something like Hitman, but were considerably more shallow. The Shadow of Mordor fast paced systems are held back by things like slow looting, abundance of riflemen, lack of easily replenishable items, removable of insta-kill combat.

Anyways for all the time I spent cursing at this game and lamenting it's flaws I still enjoyed playing it. The co-op stuff was neat and would be awesome if they settled on a gameplay pace and built all the systems to match that identidy.

Top Bottom