• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed Unity |OT| Liberté, égalité, parité

I still can't play co op with a friend on PC. I send an invite, he never receives it in the chat box on uplay. He sends an invite to me, and it pops up in the chat box but the only option present is to decline, there's no accept button. We've tried it both in free roam, and at the start of a co op mission. Infuriating, Ubisoft.

If I've beaten the game and he's near the start (but can still see co op missions available), would that affect it? I have no idea what I can try to do.

charsace

I know many people have been calling for AC to be harder combat-wise for so long but fuck me do I miss the killstreaks and brutality of Connor/Edward's fighting styles. Or "auto-win" if you wanna be accurate.

Pulling this off in Black Flag is the most satisfying shit ever:

I do appreciate what they're trying to do though but yeah, I miss the old fighting styles. :(

I have a feeling that grapples and what not will return. They reset things for this game.

Bollocks

Have you bought a pistol? They are equipped in the gear selection screen. When you have one you should be able to press Left on the D-pad to equip it.

Omg I feel stupid, I haven't equipped them.
Seems odd that I own 2 guns but they don't get auto equipped.

Corpekata

Banned
i still can't do CO-OP missions on PS4. the timer just keep counting up forever and nothing happens. is this Ubisoft problem or are people playing it?

NAT is type2 and I have DMZ'd the console

Edit: also, is there a way to stop that timer after I initiate it? because it locks out the fast travel feature and I have to reboot the game to get rid of it.

Does your rank show up as Legend? Can you view brotherhoods and whatnot? It seems to be a big problem on both PS4 and PC judging by Uplay forums. Not as big of a deal with Xbox I guess.

Only way to reset the matchmaking timer for me was to get myself killed. Which is just silly Ubi, put in a "quit matchmaking" option.

Does your rank show up as Legend? Can you view brotherhoods and whatnot? It seems to be a big problem on both PS4 and PC judging by Uplay forums. Not as big of a deal with Xbox I guess.

Only way to reset the matchmaking timer for me was to get myself killed. Which is just silly Ubi, put in a "quit matchmaking" option.

absolutely nothing co-op related is working for me, companion app is bugged, Initiates isn't working and Uplay linked games aren't showing up.

simply put, this entire game isn't finished.

Xevren

Beat it just now and enjoyed it a lot. Think at this point my biggest gripe is the amount of loading it takes at times, especially for co-op.

kaiiri

Beat it earlier. Arno is a great character but man I want to play as Elise. I would say the story in this is quite good. I like the customization and the murder mysteries. I hated the whole Nostradamus riddle solving bullshit. I dislike the fact that I will have to replay coop missions to get the better gear if you don't get it the first time around. Arno sometimes (in my experience it's 80% of the time) doesn't want to go where you want him to. Going to cover sometimes doesn't respond. Out of all the games I played this year, this one has giving me a ton of headaches. I can't barely play half an hour before my head is pounding. The game needed some more time to be optimized. I enjoyed my experience but I don't see myself returning back to Paris. Overall, I agree with all the 7 scores the media has given it.

EXACTLY! Elise was such a cool character. tho I like the story a lot I can't help but feel that there was so much wasted potential.
the whole assassins vs Templar thing. the relationship between Arno and Elise, and the whole part of Arno getting kicked out of he order yet keeps the cafe that is located above them.. he wears their garb... all of that ending. I'm sure there's more doc stuff but it would've bren so nice to not only see Arno rise in the order... but after getting kicked out see how he would return.

in the end the Arno and Elise were my favorite parts and I wish they had delved more into that part of the story.

ps. I miss the old combat.
pps. the parkour decent didnt feel as cool as it looked the e3 demo. = (

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I really like the game and it's a real tragedy they didn't spend more time optimizing it. It will certainly get better with patches.

Personally i feel it would have been better if they had made Rogue a cross gen game and released it on the current schedule and waited until next year or in the Spring to release Unity.

Having said that I am very much enjoying it. I really like that it seems to draw inspiration from AC2.

NastyBook

i still can't do CO-OP missions on PS4. the timer just keep counting up forever and nothing happens. is this Ubisoft problem or are people playing it?
It's not just you, nor is it your fault, so don't even entertain the thought. This is Ubisoft going straight clown shoes with their flagship IP. Getting mighty tempted to trade this shit in and pay $10 for GTAV tomorrow. If I can't play it with my friend, I couldn't care less about the SP. I wanted Black Flag for that.

Skyzard

Banned
So many glitches with the guns and bullet count/firing.

I wish you could shoot while hanging off stuff too. It's only one hand. Arno, parkour noob.

Yasae

Banned
Sorry but I like the combat. You want a good example of unresponsive combat which throws you into long, unpredictable animations, try The Witcher 2 before its myriad of patches. Hoo boy.

This game has a nice balance and it definitely veers towards more realistic weight in the animations. It's still mostly responsive however, especially with parries, you just have to get used to the wind-up for attacks. Think more Dark Souls.

And if we really want to harp on something related to combat, try the camera in small spaces. It's terrible.

Bebpo

Banned
So the worst part of the game is the same shit that's been the worst part since Brotherhood (and why I still think AC2 >>>> B & beyond): The sub-objective challenges. They're not as in your face as they were and annoying in AC3, but they keep ruining main missions for me in Unity.

Unity is like "Here is all this freedom to do this mission anyway you want!" but the challenges are like "but...only do it exactly this way". And it's usually an annoying way.

I decided at some point during the last mission I was at in Sequence 6 to just say fuck the challenges and do the mission my own way and it was so much more fun. Between windows, gadgets, stealth, climbing, there's so many ways to approach a situation and the best part of the game is making your own way. I don't know why they still keep pushing these sub-objectives that ask you to do missions extremely linearly. It's especially the worst in assassination missions where Unity gives you multiple options but the sub-objectives take you out of it. I'm done paying attention to the challenge objectives for the rest of the game so I can just enjoy the main gameplay. If I want to go for 100% at the end I'll just replay all the story missions I guess...

Also, what's up with landmark markers on the map for famous buildings that have no text attached and no name? It just says "Landmark"....did they not have time to finish putting some info about the last couple of buildings?

And still have yet to play a co-op match on PC. Keep trying but the timer just goes on for a few mins and I give up. When co-op works on PC how fast should it start?

Oh and some of the most fun I've found has been doing 5 star missions with 1 star equipment so you die in 1 hit and enemies see you a mile away. Figuring out your own stealth path and all your tools to assassinate everyone and get away is incredibly satisfying. I like that this is the first challenging AC (besides the "don't get seen -> insta-fail" stuff in prior games)/

TheRed

So the worst part of the game is the same shit that's been the worst part since Brotherhood (and why I still think AC2 >>>> B & beyond): The sub-objective challenges. They're not as in your face as they were and annoying in AC3, but they keep ruining main missions for me in Unity.

Unity is like "Here is all this freedom to do this mission anyway you want!" but the challenges are like "but...only do it exactly this way". And it's usually an annoying way.

I decided at some point during the last mission I was at in Sequence 6 to just say fuck the challenges and do the mission my own way and it was so much more fun. Between windows, gadgets, stealth, climbing, there's so many ways to approach a situation and the best part of the game is making your own way. I don't know why they still keep pushing these sub-objectives that ask you to do missions extremely linearly. It's especially the worst in assassination missions where Unity gives you multiple options but the sub-objectives take you out of it. I'm done paying attention to the challenge objectives for the rest of the game so I can just enjoy the main gameplay. If I want to go for 100% at the end I'll just replay all the story missions I guess...

Also, what's up with landmark markers on the map for famous buildings that have no text attached and no name? It just says "Landmark"....did they not have time to finish putting some info about the last couple of buildings?

And still have yet to play a co-op match on PC. Keep trying but the timer just goes on for a few mins and I give up. When co-op works on PC how fast should it start?

Oh and some of the most fun I've found has been doing 5 star missions with 1 star equipment so you die in 1 hit and enemies see you a mile away. Figuring out your own stealth path and all your tools to assassinate everyone and get away is incredibly satisfying. I like that this is the first challenging AC (besides the "don't get seen -> insta-fail" stuff in prior games)/

I've only tried to do co-op like 3 times since the game came out but it worked fast for me, each time was loading into a mission within 10 seconds.

Sorry but I like the combat. You want a good example of unresponsive combat which throws you into long, unpredictable animations, try The Witcher 2 before its myriad of patches. Hoo boy.

This game has a nice balance and it definitely veers towards more realistic weight in the animations. It's still mostly responsive however, especially with parries, you just have to get used to the wind-up for attacks. Think more Dark Souls.

And if we really want to harp on something related to combat, try the camera in small spaces. It's terrible.

The problem with the combat is that it instantly becomes completely trivial the moment you throw a smoke bomb on the ground. And they cost nothing and I can hold 13 of them. And because of this there's no reason at all to play it the "right" way.

Dead

well not really...yet
Spoilers for the end of sequence 7

that fight with Bellec was probably the best one on one fight in the entire series. The location, framing, stormy weather really made it feel epic.
so far this probably the best AC in terms of characters and story.

Skyzard

Banned
The problem with the combat is that it instantly becomes completely trivial the moment you throw a smoke bomb on the ground. And they cost nothing and I can hold 13 of them. And because of this there's no reason at all to play it the "right" way.

They are a bit OP.

I reckon a delay before they go off would be good.

Too much smoke and lockon disables? Not sure.

Gaz_RB

Has anyone figured out sniping yet? I can't properly do it. To me the rifle is like the worst weapon group in the game.

I've gotten pretty good at it. Pretty much all my assassinations are at range now.
First of all, you definitely need to get one of the more expensive rifles-in a perfect world, the one with two bullets in a clip. You should never be engaging in combat for more than a few seconds. Run, vanish, find a new vantage point, fire.

For assassinations, I usually do some recon on the ground to find my target, then I make my way up and silently take out any roof guards/snipers. Then you just take the shot at your target and GTFO.

i avoid combat for the most part though its mostly cause its much easier to move through a crowd swarm, stab target, then move on. there are sections where combo is necessary and that mostly turns into parry (twice if necessary), bash attack as quickly as possible if one on one. if not one on one, attack no more than three hits, parry other attack do same as before. continue til all enemies defeated.

I'm not overly fond of the new parkour and combat systems, and the stealth systems still need work. I do like Arno Dorian as a character, and I love the customization and co-op missions. The presentation is also stellar.

charsace

I've gotten pretty good at it. Pretty much all my assassinations are at range now.
First of all, you definitely need to get one of the more expensive rifles-in a perfect world, the one with two bullets in a clip. You should never be engaging in combat for more than a few seconds. Run, vanish, find a new vantage point, fire.

For assassinations, I usually do some recon on the ground to find my target, then I make my way up and silently take out any roof guards/snipers. Then you just take the shot at your target and GTFO.

What gear do you use?

I will try this out.

Is there an xbox one club?

Skyzard

Banned
I love how sometimes you get this amazing sword fighter who is blocking all your moves and really pushing you. Brings you back into the game immersion wise after some easy fights. Really looks like a sword fight at times. Usually feels okay for me, sometimes becomes unpredictable but mostly okay.

I don't remember even picking a difficulty setting.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Hm, okay... I'll try either or. :(

Also, just to make sure, you're the one that added me on PSN, right? Same name, but you never know. :D If so, I'll talk to you on PSN soon (just doing some homework) and see if we/I can get this to work. I want to play co-op :(

Yes, that was me.

I have to work tomorrow morning super early, but I'll be around tomorrow evening and the day after.

Good luck sorting it out. Enabling DMZ really should work... I mean that's kind of the last resort option, but it should work.

Namikaze1

Spoilers for the end of sequence 7

that fight with Bellec was probably the best one on one fight in the entire series. The location, framing, stormy weather really made it feel epic.
so far this probably the best AC in terms of characters and story.
Yeah, I really enjoyed that a lot. And it's much better than another story based mission.

Spoilers for last sequence
The final fight.

Skux

The "x to take cover" system is pointless in a game where you aren't constantly being fired at. The only real benefit is the ability to do contexual cover kills. Why can't I turn corners in cover? It's in every other Ubisoft game (Watch Dogs, Splinter Cell)

They have the right idea with the 'stealth button' a la Shadow of Mordor. A soft cover system works far better for these types of games.

TheRed

I love how sometimes you get this amazing sword fighter who is blocking all your moves and really pushing you. Brings you back into the game immersion wise after some easy fights. Really looks like a sword fight at times. Usually feels okay for me, sometimes becomes unpredictable but mostly okay.

I don't think any AC has had a difficulty setting, but this one does have different difficulty enemies and fighting ones two levels above you is pretty hard, and the 5 diamond guys are always tough fuckers. I like the increased difficulty. Watching the giantbomb quicklook of AC:Rogue and he got surrounded by 3 guys and instantly murdered them in a chain and I remembered how fucking easy those games had gotten and how he probably would've died in Unity. I definitely hope they continue in this direction in future games. 1 assassin shouldn't take out a whole army in open combat.

Corgi

Banned
The rifle is amazing. I've made Arno the first sniper of the Assassin's. Wish you could have a pistol and a rifle.
interesting. how is it? Think you'd need to be high enough level to be able to carry enough ammo to be useful... but the rifle is pretty competent beat stick too.

wish they had one with a bayonette on the end.

Marcel

Where to begin:

- Playing this on launch without Patch 2 was atrocious. Hitches, graphical errors, and all the other shit that's been run down by tons of people. Hell, I still fall through the world occasionally even after Patch 2. (Party Palace after vaulting over a staircase, various co-op missions)

- I've only played up to Sequence 6 but Arno is like bargain bin Ezio. The personality is there but it's hard to really find anything to really like when the story is just the doughy Mentor guy pulling him this way and that. Hopefully it gets better but this is mediocre character stuff at best.

- Co-op is a blast (When it works or your partners don't teleport all around the map). I've had hitches start a good number of times after playing online.

- I appreciate not having combat being totally on auto-pilot but as opposed to being a mindless kill robot now it's just a methodical, janky kill robot. Not as bad as some make it out to be but not great either.

- The app is bloaty garbage that makes my phone feel like a hot stove despite it being a new phone from 2014. Like many others, my app data and assassins eventually disappeared into the Animus aether. No big loss as now I simply ignore blue chests.

There's lots of potential here but it's marred by the game performing like Mickey Rourke from The Wrestler. Hopefully they'll iron out the kinks but I have my doubts.

And yes, after all my bitching I probably am a fucking idiot for buying an Ubisoft game. That's good, Snake. Hurt me more.

Skyzard

Banned
I don't think any AC has had a difficulty setting, but this one does have different difficulty enemies and fighting ones two levels above you is pretty hard, and the 5 diamond guys are always tough fuckers. I like the increased difficulty. Watching the giantbomb quicklook of AC:Rogue and he got surrounded by 3 guys and instantly murdered them in a chain and I remembered how fucking easy those games had gotten and how he probably would've died in Unity. I definitely hope they continue in this direction in future games. 1 assassin shouldn't take out a whole army in open combat.

Ah I see. I like it too.

What I don't like.

Save file going. :(

Then you throw a smoke bomb at the steep cost of 10 livres and instantly win every fight in the entire game.

So tried co-op with a friend. We didn't immediately understand how to party up together, so we both just searched for the same mission.

She got into the mission, I didn't, but she kept insisting I was in. It was instead some other player that for some reason was listed as me. My tag, my ranking, my Napoleon set. We both thought this was odd.

So when that mission was done and I spent time figuring out how to add her to my world, she joins and it lists my tag as someone else entirely. It then changes my rank to "Legend" and then proceeds to remove all 11,000 of my creed points permanently.

This game's pretty glitchy. To the point where I think I'm just going to finish it up and trade it in, something I haven't done with any Assassin's Creed title I own.

Talon

I'm really enjoying seeing the floating NPCs randomly pop in. My favorites are when they show up on top of overturned carts.

Was there an Xbox One update that completely broke co-op with friends or something?

Every time my friend and I try to accept an invite from each other it locks up the game and it completely crashes back to the dashboard. Wasn't like this a few days ago when we did a few missions together. I guess Ubisoft managed to screw something up.

Namikaze1

So tried co-op with a friend. We didn't immediately understand how to party up together, so we both just searched for the same mission.

She got into the mission, I didn't, but she kept insisting I was in. It was instead some other player that for some reason was listed as me. My tag, my ranking, my Napoleon set. We both thought this was odd.

So when that mission was done and I spent time figuring out how to add her to my world, she joins and it lists my tag as someone else entirely. It then changes my rank to "Legend" and then proceeds to remove all 11,000 of my creed points permanently.

This game's pretty glitchy. To the point where I think I'm just going to finish it up and trade it in, something I haven't done with any Assassin's Creed title I own.
Yeah, the rank thing happened to me. One moment I was an Advanced Veteran, the next I'm a Legend. Though I didn't lose my creed points.

Top Bottom