• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed Unity |OT| Liberté, égalité, parité

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
So I'm like really enjoying this game. Weird right?

Very weird, I suggest going to the ER immediately.

But seriously, the reason the game is catching so much flak is because of the issues, and well, the devs are just unlucky Ubi had bad PR week that one time so it put the game right into the criticism spotlight.

I've yet to play the game, but what I've read all says that beneath all those glitches, frame rate drops, there's a good game with awesome elements.

charsace

I don't think any AC has had a difficulty setting, but this one does have different difficulty enemies and fighting ones two levels above you is pretty hard, and the 5 diamond guys are always tough fuckers. I like the increased difficulty. Watching the giantbomb quicklook of AC:Rogue and he got surrounded by 3 guys and instantly murdered them in a chain and I remembered how fucking easy those games had gotten and how he probably would've died in Unity. I definitely hope they continue in this direction in future games. 1 assassin shouldn't take out a whole army in open combat.

You can't slaughter armies anymore, but if you understand the battle system and tank your character you can kill 10 guys. This game is about defense, positioning and being cautious with your strikes. The key is to not get surrounded. If you get surrounded in this game you are fucked. You will need multiple smoke bombs to escape a surrounded situation.

cb1115

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
just finished the campaign. the ending left quite a bit to be desired but I still enjoyed the story quite a bit.

overall, this game lays a solid blueprint for AC games this gen. the assassination missions were pretty great, especially towards the end. can't wait to see them to expand that stuff further in the next few games.

the performance and lack of polish are what ultimately hold this game back from greatness tho. it's a shame, as this game would probably be GOTY material for me if it didn't run like trash.

TheRed

Losing a save in this game is the worst because you don't even get to go to a menu to see your save is gone it just auto starts right into dumb fancy intro video.

the performance and lack of polish are what ultimately hold this game back from greatness tho. it's a shame, as this game would probably be GOTY material for me if it didn't run like trash.

The game is really good, but it definitely could of used a bit more time in the oven; it's incredibly glitchy, but there doesn't seem to be any game breaking issues (at least from my experience).

On PC the game looks amazing on max settings, and Ubisoft can push the fancy graphics to the max because the PC hardware is out there, but I don't understand why they pushed the game into the 20fps area on consoles. They could have just scaled it back a bit more to lock it at 30fps.

RedAssedApe

Banned
is initiates even working? can't open these stupid yellow chests because im not leveled up. i wont even know how i got to level 7 in the first place lol

Every year I tell myself, that Uplay is there for a loooong time now, it should at least work on a basic level, there is NO WAY it is still fucked up.
And everytime it still is.

It shatters my mind when I try to contain all the ways in which UPlay is fundamentally broken.

If anybody at Ubisoft ever reads this thread, tell them. Ask them. We're begging you. Kill UPlay. Whatever it takes.

is initiates even working? can't open these stupid yellow chests because im not leveled up. i wont even know how i got to level 7 in the first place lol

I'm an AssCreed junkie and it doesn't even know that I've played all of the games so I think it's still having issues.

The chests probably have lame rewards anyway.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
You can't slaughter armies anymore, but if you understand the battle system and tank your character you can kill 10 guys. This game is about defense, positioning and being cautious with your strikes. The key is to not get surrounded. If you get surrounded in this game you are fucked. You will need multiple smoke bombs to escape a surrounded situation.

That + the stealth makes things like smoke bombs and beserk darts actually useful for once. In the past I would just shoot or run in and counter kill everyone.

I'd like more progression in terms of enemy difficulty though. I think killstreaks are fine if it's against the lower level enemies, whereas with more difficult ones you couldn't pull that off and have to fight as it is now. And like I keep repeating, the fight system would benefit from being able to switch weapons on the fly like in AC1 and have each weapon have its own tactical advantage. Having your own weapons break could be cool too, if you could fall back on the hidden blade(s).

I imagine these kind of scenarios:

1- Fight someone sword to sword, but yours gets broken.
2- Switch to hidden blade, and disarm him, stealing his sword.
3- Being disarmed and scared, he moves away while others move in to outnumber you.
4- You fight some, but soon the top ranked enemies come in.
5- Switch to chain-blade, swoop most of the ones close to you off their feet.
6- This gives you the opportunity to throw a smoke bomb and escape.

I'm an AssCreed junkie and it doesn't even know that I've played all of the games so I think it's still having issues.

Ive 100% syncd every AC game, minus liberation HD. Im only level 12. Most of them are shitty rewards, like a low amount of money. One that I still need holds Ezios outfit. Its funny because it says I have 67% sync in AC2, but it also says I havent started the story in it yet

Ive 100% syncd every AC game, minus liberation HD. Im only level 12. Most of them are shitty rewards, like a low amount of money. One that I still need holds Ezios outfit. Its funny because it says I have 67% sync in AC2, but it also says I havent started the story in it yet

I was crushed when my companion app FINALLY started working and I realized the chests I had longed to open were filled with 250 bucks while I was already making several times that in my Cafe.

P.S. Fully upgraded cafe + remote play = a crapload of money as I leave the game on pause and get paid while the patriots play without even changing the input on the TV. I love it!

Leeness

Yes, that was me.

I have to work tomorrow morning super early, but I'll be around tomorrow evening and the day after.

Good luck sorting it out. Enabling DMZ really should work... I mean that's kind of the last resort option, but it should work.

I'll catch up with you tomorrow night then!

Disabled all the port forwarding I did, and turned on DMZ. IT WORKS.

YAAAAS.

Soi-Fong

On PC, this game is amazing. On a 780 Ti, I'm able to keep a solid 30 with all max settings except textures at the second highest settings and at 1080p barring a few sequences.

It looks soo good. HBAO+ and PCSS shadows make a pretty awesome difference.

I've gotten pretty good at it. Pretty much all my assassinations are at range now.
First of all, you definitely need to get one of the more expensive rifles-in a perfect world, the one with two bullets in a clip. You should never be engaging in combat for more than a few seconds. Run, vanish, find a new vantage point, fire.

For assassinations, I usually do some recon on the ground to find my target, then I make my way up and silently take out any roof guards/snipers. Then you just take the shot at your target and GTFO.

This is pretty much exactly my play style. I Take my time too. I find no alarms or only killing the target very fun and challenging. Game is a cake walk if you don't set obstacles and goals for yourself.

Mifune

Mehmber
That King of the Rats or whatever assassination was possibly the most fun single AC mission I've ever played. Everything from the above-ground recon to the final showdown in his lair was just incredibly satisfying.

One area where I feel this game leaves Black Flag in the dust is its characterizations. It starts with Arno but everyone, from the assassination targets to the random folks assigning you side missions, are incredibly well fleshed out. And it all helps make the player feel like part of an organic universe, and not just a slave to the Ubi checklist.

Yeah, I'm digging this game.

Beat sequence 4. The assassinations so far have been very satisfying. Tomorrow, I'll try to run through at least 2 more sequences before DA: I unlocks.

Corgi

Banned
like how when sequence 7 rolls around all of a sudden arno gets a personality!

seriously, he's barely a character until then and I was beginning to worry.

Mifune

Mehmber
like how when sequence 7 rolls around all of a sudden arno gets a personality!

seriously, he's barely a character until then and I was beginning to worry.

He's totally a character in the first couple sequences but then it's just go here and kill this dude for a while.

Happy to hear his personality comes back.

He never really develops that much of a personality. I thought Conner from AC3 had more.

One tip for people who want to do the companion app stuff: it works fine in the bluestacks android emulator on PCs. I would run it on my PC screen side by side on my PS4 while playing, gives a good map and lets you do the nomad missions too. It still lags a bit and can be frustrating with so many icons on the map, but I found the glyph puzzles a little easier than on my tiny phone screen.

RedAssedApe

Banned

Same here. It says I haven't played any games. I thought initiates is tied to the extra outfit unlocks though? How are people getting those? I got Edwards in a chest when I first unlocked the cafe.

charsace

That + the stealth makes things like smoke bombs and beserk darts actually useful for once. In the past I would just shoot or run in and counter kill everyone.

I'd like more progression in terms of enemy difficulty though. I think killstreaks are fine if it's against the lower level enemies, whereas with more difficult ones you couldn't pull that off and have to fight as it is now. And like I keep repeating, the fight system would benefit from being able to switch weapons on the fly like in AC1 and have each weapon have its own tactical advantage. Having your own weapons break could be cool too, if you could fall back on the hidden blade(s).

I imagine these kind of scenarios:

1- Fight someone sword to sword, but yours gets broken.
2- Switch to hidden blade, and disarm him, stealing his sword.
3- Being disarmed and scared, he moves away while others move in to outnumber you.
4- You fight some, but soon the top ranked enemies come in.
5- Switch to chain-blade, swoop most of the ones close to you off their feet.
6- This gives you the opportunity to throw a smoke bomb and escape.

Some things will come back and some things won't, at least I think so. They seem to be taking the series into a more stealth based game play path.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
Anyone else find cherry bombs utterly useless?

Sometimes guards seem devoted to staying put. I end up using them more often to get guards to look away rather than to lure them to a spot. But yeah, it can be kind of finicky. In a weird way, it sort of makes sense, since not everybody is going to react the same way to a loud firecracker going off nearby. Some guards might be more paranoid than others; less inclined to leave their safe ground.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
So I think I've run into the companion app bug where you lose all your nomad assassins and your money count is set to 100. Am I screwed, or will I get my assassins/money back eventually? I'm less concerned about the money then I am about the assassins (they were all level 15-22). I'm not using the paid app.

Also it's so weird that Arno whistles in one of the cut scenes, but can't do it during normal gameplay. I really miss the whistle lure.

Is there an easier way to get the Soundtrack + Comic Book thing? They want 500 Uplay Points for it, which is like five full games' worth (I only have 700 total and I've played every mainline AC game to completion and a bunch of other Ubi stuff), and it seems like the only other way is to start a team and type in a 'pre-order code', whatever that is, and then have three other people join who also have pre-order codes (I'm guessing that's not an option any more, now that the game's out).

Has anyone downloaded the soundtrack? I'd hate to blow all those Uplay points and find out it's just a five track MP3 sampler or something. The only thing I've ever used Uplay points for is unlocking Ezio's outfit in various Ubisoft games, but I still don't want to go wasting'em :p

Yasae

Banned
This is pretty much exactly my play style. I Take my time too. I find no alarms or only killing the target very fun and challenging. Game is a cake walk if you don't set obstacles and goals for yourself.
One thing they could've done to help this is give you extra xp (or maybe a more significant reward) for not being detected. Watch_Dogs dumped 500 XP on you for completing a mission stealthily which was a pretty decent amount in that game.

TimFL

Is there an easier way to get the Soundtrack + Comic Book thing? They want 500 Uplay Points for it, which is like five full games' worth (I only have 700 total and I've played every mainline AC game to completion and a bunch of other Ubi stuff), and it seems like the only other way is to start a team and type in a 'pre-order code', whatever that is, and then have three other people join who also have pre-order codes (I'm guessing that's not an option any more, now that the game's out).

Has anyone downloaded the soundtrack? I'd hate to blow all those Uplay points and find out it's just a five track MP3 sampler or something. The only thing I've ever used Uplay points for is unlocking Ezio's outfit in various Ubisoft games, but I still don't want to go wasting'em :p

UPlay glitched for me and unlocked the 4 preorder actions that gave me 2000 points total. Sitting at 2300 points, might get it later when I return from work. More interested in that murder mystery quest for 500 pts though.

Yasae

Banned
The problem with the combat is that it instantly becomes completely trivial the moment you throw a smoke bomb on the ground. And they cost nothing and I can hold 13 of them. And because of this there's no reason at all to play it the "right" way.
Eh, you can cheese the economy too via co-op. You're intentionally breaking a system via one feature. I agree with others there should be a cooldown, however.

That's also a boring way to go about the game. The designers imply a greater focus on (light and breezy) stealth and made large encounters legitimately difficult for a reason. You don't like that and so you spam smoke bombs? Boring.

Corpekata

Banned
500 Uplay points is only 5 games of their older stuff. A lot of their recent stuff like Child of Light, Unity, and probably Far Cry 4 have more than their usual stuff.

Was on the final bit of the final mission when the game decided to turn a vacuum on in my headphones and freeze up before resetting itself completely.
Merde

Edit: I am greatly impressed with the checkpoint system, it put me right back to where I was.

Top Bottom